Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Is it worth it?

neon__noodle
    neon__noodle
    Addicted
    Addicted

Is it worth it? Empty Is it worth it?

Post by neon__noodle Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 am

I know we're all excited about new Dark Souls content. After 200 hours I am chomping at the bit to throw my toon into some refreshing and painful situations. However, I am concerned. There is this trend in marketing video games, of which we're all aware, wherein companies release a game and then months later release the "ultimate" version. Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 spring immediately to mind. With the release of the 'Prepare to Die' edition of Dark Souls I am seeing this same trend repeat itself. I know others have brought this up in other threads, but I'm just curious if it's worth it. Is it worth it to pay a company more of your money for not just new content, but old content? Isn't that just supporting this system wherein the companies take more of our money for less content?

Furthermore these companies just end up alienating their core fan base to a point where they might be hesitant to run out and buy the newest game for fear they will eventually be punished for it. This forum is comprised almost solely of said 'core fan base.'

We all love Dark Souls and we appreciate the care that a company like From puts into their work. But if our only option to access new content is to pay again for old content then maybe it's not worth it. We vote with our wallets and maybe we won't be voting for great new content but rather encouraging a system that ultimately rips us off.

Disclaimer: I hope this doesn't come true. I would buy DLC without blinking.

Bow
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Is it worth it? Empty Re: Is it worth it?

Post by callipygias Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:11 am

To me it absolutely is. Anyone who makes something I love as much as Dark Souls I am willing to support as much as I can, hoping that they keep it up.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 am

I'm skeptical the new content will be worth its money even if it is just available as DLC content.

I can imagine the new content they are teasing right now is literally all the new content will be, and the new areas will be open and fairly uncomplicated with one or two of the new enemies before a boss fight.

I really want PC only if it has user content mod support.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:30 am

Whether or not it comes as dlc or a different edition that I am forced to buy I am going to purchase it. This game has provided hundreds of hours of gameplay and has not lost any replay value to me yet as there are endless ways to play, and there is so much variation in the builds you can make that there is no reason to stop any time soon. I played demon's for almost 3 years non stop and if it was still hosting online play I'd probably still be playing it just as much as I play dark souls.

What will anger me as a fan is if the content is not made available for console players in any way shape or form. Whether its free, 10 or even another $60 I want this content. I absolutely despise dlc but I doubt that from would release dlc the same way that bioware likes to.

Also, @buggy I doubt they'll have user mod support like the Elder Scrolls did. Or at least you wouldn't be able to go online with modded gear.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 am

No.

Thats why when the series has a "ultimate edition" history, i wait to get the special one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 pm