Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
tristtan
nsane32
meridam99
Uparkaam
Zechk
Yarxov
reim0027
Yesuurd
ChizFreak
Buggy Virus
skarekrow13
djgq42
PlasticandRage
Rynn
Hippie Krystalz
19 posters

Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon?

Hippie Krystalz

Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon? Empty Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon?

Post by Hippie Krystalz Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

does it upgrade slower or something? i'm not getting this upgrade system...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon? Empty Re: Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon?

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:09 pm

The drake sword is a powerful early game weapon, but it lacks something that becomes more apparent over time. Most weapons scale with your stats, however the drake sword does not, causing you to loose many precious stat points by the end of the game.
    The drake sword maxes out at 300 damage, which you can easily reach with a +10 longsword and 25 dex/strength...

Overall, the drake sword is useful early into the game, but it's stats will quickly fail to be worth using later into the game, I'd recommend using it for now, but don't waste any dragon scales on upgrading it.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon? Empty Re: Why don't I just upgrade my Drake Sword if it's my most powerful weapon?

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Kujii wrote:The drake sword is a powerful early game weapon, but it lacks something that becomes more apparent over time. Most weapons scale with your stats, however the drake sword does not, causing you to loose many precious stat points by the end of the game.
    The drake sword maxes out at 300 damage, which you can easily reach with a +10 longsword and 25 dex/strength...

Overall, the drake sword is useful early into the game, but it's stats will quickly fail to be worth using later into the game, I'd recommend using it for now, but don't waste any dragon scales on upgrading it.

Exactly. The Drake Sword is also extremely expensive to upgrade early on. If you focus on upgrading a different weapon you'll not only spend less but you're weapon will be more powerful than the Drake ever can be pretty quickly.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Hippie Krystalz wrote:does it upgrade slower or something? i'm not getting this upgrade system...

think of the drake sword as an early game alternative while you upgrade a weapon that will scale with your stats.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Add my voice in agreement. I used that while leveling up my Broadsword and myself. By the time my broadsword was +8 or +9 I think it was outclassing the drake and I could buff it for pesky things that needed to die quickly. By +15 there was no contest.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Add my voice in agreement. I used that while leveling up my Broadsword and myself. By the time my broadsword was +8 or +9 I think it was outclassing the drake and I could buff it for pesky things that needed to die quickly. By +15 there was no contest.

been wondering, is that a bills jersey?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Hell yes it is! Not the current colors but he's been living with my sister for a few years.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Also you look like a noob. This may seem like more of a joke, but really, anyone who sees you in PvP won't take you seriously.
    Hippie Krystalz

Post by Hippie Krystalz Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:18 pm

okay, sounds good. i think im to go with that katana i got in nlighttown... see how that goes for me
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Hippie Krystalz wrote:okay, sounds good. i think im to go with that katana i got in nlighttown... see how that goes for me

That's one of my favorite weapons. Later you might want to grab the washing pole though, it's the same thing, but just longer and a worse power attack.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:
    Hippie Krystalz wrote:okay, sounds good. i think im to go with that katana i got in nlighttown... see how that goes for me

That's one of my favorite weapons. Later you might want to grab the washing pole though, it's the same thing, but just longer and a worse power attack.

It requires 6 more points to STR than standard katanas (standard requires 14, washing pole requires 20). It's slower, and I'm not sure if it has more weight too.

I just don't like it.

Iaito +15 kicks ***. It's faster, and it has a actually useful strong attack.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I bet you 10000 souls my washing pole beats any other katana you got...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:58 pm

You bet less than a third of one Dark Londo trip in ng++? I'd take that bet but.....

Scythe scythe scythe scythe scythe!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:02 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Scythe scythe scythe scythe scythe!

I don't understand the appeal of the Lifehunt. Although I understand that's not necessarily what you're talking about. I'm just saying I don't really understand. Doesn't it hurt you just as badly as it hurts your targets?
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

The scythes seem only really effective after a sprinting or roll, otherwise they just seem unwieldy.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:The scythes seem only really effective after a sprinting or roll, otherwise they just seem unwieldy.

That's kinda my impression of them also. Like any attacks they have, that aren't sweeping horizontal attacks, are so focused that you'd spend a lot of your time attacking next to your targets instead of your targets themselves.

I know a lot of people like them. I'm just trying to understand why. I've never seen them used effectively. I think partially because I'd like to learn to use them effectively. They definitely have style.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 pm

They're a pain to use. Stamina drain big time too. However, great distance and a running attack are mice to have. Plus if all of you are baffled by it it means I have a potential edge there too. But the real draw for me is that its a great defensive weapon. It's best used after you scope an opponent and see a mistake. Then there's the secrets.....

But really the game is balanced well so you just gotta be comfortable.

Regarding the Lifehunt specifically, all things being equal the bleed builds faster in your opponent. Once it triggers its over. With a little prep you can have enough bleed resist not to worry much.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm

It seems useful for pvp where you can always be careful enough to only use running attacks and exploit the dead angle, but I never saw a reason for PvE
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:23 pm

It's not worth upgrading. Pretty soon, it becomes very weak against your enemies. Even if it is upgraded. Save your souls.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:13 am

I love my scythe, I don't dead angle or two hand, but in PvE it does well, it has ~500 pure physical AR after all, and the stunlock is nice, the R2-R2-R1 can kill most players.
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 am

Just go with whatever fits your playstyle best. Oh and I'll chip in with some love for the Iaito +15. It's my favourite Katana in the game.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am

Drake sword's moveset is the same as broadsword's. Except for the special attack. So I would suggest you upgrade the broadsword. It will surpass drake sword's damage.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Moving to the player help section
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

you a great sword and if you want something similar to the katana use the gravelord sword or murako
    tristtan

Post by tristtan Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 pm

How do you know how each particular weapon scales with your stats???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:34 am