Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
lextune
Wade_Wilson
Yesuurd
Carphil
Rynn
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BLA1NE
Kaminari
Forum Pirate
Darkson
PlasticandRage
ublug
T-King-667
17 posters

The RES stat

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

The RES stat - Page 3 Empty Re: The RES stat

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:45 pm

I just got hit by the Stabby thing that gravelords R2's do, and it only caused 90 poison buildup.... I -might- need to look into that and see if RES affected that at all, it seemed lower then I recall.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm

well from the sounds of it maybe the developers designed Reist as a way for offline players to better surive against PvE.

Makes sense to me since humanity is the main currency of PvP which helps defence they would need to make a counter weight to help offline
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Mild Update. 45 RES causes Smough to do 400 damage with with super charged buttslam, with only 112 lightning defense.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 pm

:shock: usually he one shots me with that move at 20 vit and medium armor (around 150 on resistences and 175 on phys def) were you directly under the slam or in range of the aoe lightning cause it does more damage when directly under his rear when he lands.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote::shock: usually he one shots me with that move at 20 vit and medium armor (around 150 on resistences and 175 on phys def) were you directly under the slam or in range of the aoe lightning cause it does more damage when directly under his rear when he lands.
    If you look at my second update a page or two back, when i was against smougs i had 11 vit 40 res and he eletric butslamed me (i was directly under it) and i survived with 1/4 of health left while naked and i had no rings on. my total health was 587 i think? and i had almost 200 left.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote::shock: usually he one shots me with that move at 20 vit and medium armor (around 150 on resistences and 175 on phys def) were you directly under the slam or in range of the aoe lightning cause it does more damage when directly under his rear when he lands.
    I did a damage test (since I keep purposefully loosing to the boss to test this), depending on how close I am, I suffer inbetween 460 and 233 damage.

EDIT: I can survive an entire attack (From start to when they naturally stop rolling) from the bonewheel mobs with 12 HP left.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Rynn wrote:
    I did a damage test (since I keep purposefully loosing to the boss to test this), depending on how close I am, I suffer inbetween 460 and 233 damage.

EDIT: I can survive an entire attack (From start to when they naturally stop rolling) from the bonewheel mobs with 12 HP left.
    @your edit: Are you serious? with my heavy armour builds on my first play through i still cant surviv an entire pinwheel roll, thats cray, is your character still bare arse?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I have a Sack on my head, +0. Otherwise I'm nude.
    Also this damage test isn't consistant, I die about 20% of the time, since they don't always attack for the same period of time.

EDIT: I'm unaware of if the Painted worlds bonewheels are weaker or the same strength, so just in case there is a difference, be aware this test is in the Painted World.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Rynn wrote:I have a Sack on my head, +0. Otherwise I'm nude.
    Also this damage test isn't consistant, I die about 20% of the time, since they don't always attack for the same period of time.

EDIT: I'm unaware of if the Painted worlds bonewheels are weaker or the same strength, so just in case there is a difference, be aware this test is in the Painted World.
    Bonewheels are bone wheels it dosent matter where you face them there allways a pain.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Of course... But it -does- matter sometimes, as enemies do different amounts of damage in different area's of the game. Perhaps I can't survive a catacomb bonewheel? Maybe they hit harder.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:35 pm

This got me thinking... maybe natural defence from the res was the key alll along? allmost like an extra layer of skin? because i mean if you put all the points in vit and end or whatever and you wore decent armour you still probly cant survive a full bonewheel attack from either areas.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 pm

actually i think PW bonewheels are nastier or equal to those in the catacombs, so we've seen the efect of res on bulk damage (smough slam) and on multi hit combo damage (bonewheels) any other damage application types that haven't been tried yet? what about bs's does it effect those?
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:actually i think PW bonewheels are nastier or equal to those in the catacombs, so we've seen the efect of res on bulk damage (smough slam) and on multi hit combo damage (bonewheels) any other damage application types that haven't been tried yet? what about bs's does it effect those?
    Like the theives on the way to the depths? they back stab and parry.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Checked, it had a positive effect, damage was reduced by (guestimate) around 50% of what I'm used to seeing with 120 defense.

EDIT: RES does NOT INCREASE HOW MUCH SOULS YOU ARE WORTH WHEN KILLED.
    Additional note: Res seems to effect fall damage, but I'd need to do more testing to be sure.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Rynn wrote:Checked, it had a positive effect, damage was reduced by (guestimate) around 50% of what I'm used to seeing with 120 defense.

EDIT: RES does NOT INCREASE HOW MUCH SOULS YOU ARE WORTH WHEN KILLED.
    Additional note: Res seems to effect fall damage, but I'd need to do more testing to be sure.
    Soon im going to create a character that only has 45 vit and then we can use your 45 res toon and we can do further testing with that if you like?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:54 pm

No need, I tested it myself.
    Here is my finding: Res offers a static debuff on damage. 1 point of res = 1 point less damage taken, or 1% less damage taken, whichever value is -lower-. Attacks that would normally kill you have about a 7 time multiplier on damage reduced. In conclusion, In PVE, Res will offer minute buffs to your survivability, and a beter chance at surviving that killing blow, however RES has no major contribution in PvP, as this passive buff only effects mobs and not players. If you plan to PvP at all, do not use this stat, if you plan on PVEing, I might reccomend raising the stat to 30, thusforth avoiding a lot of OHKO's.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Very strange findings... But great for people who want to go into NG+infinity and who aren't concerned with PvP.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Really? Nice find!

So if you combine it with the Blue Tearstone Ring it will be even more effective?

Has someone tested out if that ring just gives a static amount of damage reduction or if there's also a multiplier/formular?

And if so, does the game first calculate the damage reduction your RES stat gives you or the ring? Would the first one multiplied by the second one?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 pm

That is an extremely interesting find, good stuff Kujii big grin

would you like me to add this to the wiki?

Edit: I added the first sentence telling about exactly what it does, then specifying this effect is for PvE mobs only. I also added a line about possible reduction in fall damage, with a request for confirmation. Anyone who feels they could put it better please edit it again to your viewing pleasure silly

Last edited by Serious_Much on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

And also: You could make a high RES char, put on both the blue and red tearstone ring and use power within maybe? Maybe it would make it more effective with the high RES!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Great contribution there now thats in, shows how resistance can be very useful for putting up when you go into High levels and high NG+s
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I will make a 99 resistance toon and see if the game breaks!!!
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Serious_Much wrote:That is an extremely interesting find, good stuff Kujii big grin

Edit: I added the first sentence telling about exactly what it does, then specifying this effect is for PvE mobs only. I also added a line about possible reduction in fall damage, with a request for confirmation. Anyone who feels they could put it better please edit it again to your viewing pleasure silly

Hey hey! Very good assumption! :affraid:
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Darkson wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:That is an extremely interesting find, good stuff Kujii big grin

Hey hey! Very good assumption! :affraid:

not an assumption, a part of Rynn's research:

Rynn wrote: Res seems to effect fall damage, but I'd need to do more testing to be sure.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah its good to see that you found out a good use for the stat rynn (: cheers to your hard work, and cheers to me for giveing you the motivation to start it, lmao.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:02 am