Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
reim0027
Jorund
billy_bayonet
JoeBroski09
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Yarxov
User
GkMrBane
ARSP
SlakeMoth
Dubscythe
Whknight
Forum Pirate
cloudyeki
Carphil
JohnnyHarpoon
KomradDakka
Rynn
TehInfamousAmos
sinisterapathy
TheGoddessSendell
befowler
Darkson
Maneater_Mildred
Zechk
Digitalyzed
bloodpixel
Quarik
meridam99
DoughGuy
Imarreteet23
Serious_Much
berkut
Reaperfan
Tolvo
PlasticandRage
skarekrow13
Wade_Wilson
42 posters

The "let it out" thread.

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

The "let it out" thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The "let it out" thread.

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Our school recently started doing drug tests on students, as well when I went there at least one fight a day started, so people constantly fought. They've actually made it now so that if you get in a fight you are tried as an adult and brought to court, my sister goes there still and constantly sees people gouging eyes, punching people straight in the faces and breaking their noses. As well we had gangs, student teacher sexual scandals, and even a few shoot outs.

I live in the middle class super white suburbs.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 pm

That's far,far worse than where I live, but then again I don't live in a city, I live in a town.. But even in cities here there's not too much gang stuff going on
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 pm

It depends where you are for your school experience. There's a few crazy things that happened at mine but overall safe enough where we were allowed to use chainsaws in landscaping class. The midterm? Cut this tree down without hurting yourself
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:43 pm

I live in a town, I'm two hours away from the nearest city.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 pm

I live in aus, in what you would probably call middle class suburb and mum works at my local primary school (i.e. 5 -11 year olds). Every week they have assaults on teachers. Every month theres at least one ambulance trip to the school. Dont get me started on the high school across the road from me.
    TheGoddessSendell
    TheGoddessSendell
    Casual
    Casual

Post by TheGoddessSendell Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 am

Sorry to hear about that Tolvo, though I can understand why you would react like that. Even if it's bad sometimes I wonder if fighting back makes you feel more in control, though maybe not. I wouldn't presume to understand..

Hmm, I'm in a pretty small town.. In the UK so there aren't problems so much with guns and whatever. My school was a proper 'comprehensive' so a mixture of socio-economic backgrounds to say in the least. It was on the edge of a pretty notorious estate which didn't exactly have gang problems as much as bad families, if you know what I mean. Once I made the mistake of having my then boyfriend meet me out of school, and being the kind of person he was he had some extremely strong words with one of the guys who had been making my life a misery. The next that guy had told his brother, the whole thing spiraled and 30 guys from the big three families surrounded the school ready to beat the crap of out anyone who obviously a friend of mine (wearing band hoodies, looking vaguely 'alternative' - it was a long time ago, haha) After that I gave up ever trying to stand up to anyone, which may have been the wrong thing but I was young..It's funny there's so often a kind of unspoken law about men not hitting women, but it's amazing how quickly those kinds of rules disappear when it's seen as funny or acceptable..

Imarreteet23 - I understand. I feel a bit ill if I see certain people's names on facebook now haha. I'm away from that part of town thank goodness.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 am

No, you don't want to hurt people. Looking back on it I regret it so much, because it hurt me very badly in the long run. I missed out on a lot of opportunities because of that violent nature I once had.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

So I have to give an 8 minute informative speech in front of a lecture hall of full people in 2 hours. I really don't do terribly well speaking in front of people. I always start out strong and then start to over analyze everything I'm saying until it gets to the point that I'm focusing so hard that it feels like I'm listening to someone else speaking instead of myself, and then I usually start to stumble over my words and trip myself up. Sometimes when I'm speaking to someone in a platform that makes me nervous, like a job interview for example, I imagine myself punching them in jaw and it makes me feel better. I'm not a particularly violent person, I guess my mind just has a tendency to go to dark places. Anyway I don't know how I could apply that to a group of 50ish people. Makes me feel a little better to have talked about it though I guess.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 am

If you see this before you go remember this, even if you've heard it before.

The key to public speaking and teaching is that only you know what you intend to say. The crowd will always assume you know what you're talking about as long as you act like it. If you skipped something.....they don't know. You can come back and "hey you meant to order it that way."
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 am

The key I find to public speaking is acting like you know everything about the subject, as Skare said. You have to act confident, then people will perceive you as being knowledgeable. It doesn't work for everyone, but if you do plan on doing it a lot you've got to practice and be ready to speak in a strong loud enough voice, talk without uming about anything or second guessing yourself, and look at whatever papers you have as little as possible, even maybe play it off as simple head gestures.

I hope it goes well man, good luck.
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 pm

I had alot of problems with bbeing bullied in middle school...it was only because i didnt stand up for myself though. Im really suprised at you guys saying that you shouldnt...i just cant understand that being that i tried being nice about it and things just got worse. I moved around ALOT as a child so ive been to big schools with gangs and such but small town schools as well.

In 8th grade i decided i wasnt going to take **** from anyone anymore. Now in these days i read alot( LotR and such) i would read a book while we were supposed to be learning math or whatever the teacher was talking about so i caught alot of BS for it(nerd loser ect) and when i took it more just joined in and it got worse.

In my experience the worst thing you can to is just take it. After i stood up for myself enough times at each school people would stop screwing with me. Yeah you wont always win but even when you lose if you continue to stand up for youself they will stop because they will realise that its more trouble than its worth and move on to someone to scared to stand up. Bullies are cowards most of them are to scared to fight when it comes down to it.

Most bullies will even respect you for it.

We try to act like we are civil and above it but we are still animals. Survial of the fitest still applies to human beings and it always will.

Now im not saying attack someone because they make fun of you. simply ignore this as it is not worth your time. I just say go F yourself and go about my business.(probably better to say nothing at all As i said though i dont take **** from anyone) However when someone puts their hands on you you do have a right to defend yourself. I think its more of an obligation but thats me. You cant wait for someone to save you because there wont always be someone there willing to do so...in fact most of the time there wont.

If people bully you and you just take it get used to it because people are going to walk all over you for the rest of your life.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm

I can agree with sinisterapathy to a large extent. When I moved and changed school in fifth grade I was paired up with a gym locker with the school bully, the only kid who wasn't sharing one already. Two of his friends decided to make a bigger deal out of it than he did. I had long hair at the time (which was sweet when I pro wrassled later in life) so I looked like the kid to bully. They tried shoving me around and when I almost knocked one of them on their butt they said "We're gonna go get (Bully's name here)." I stood and waited until they came out.....stared at him and he said...."Him? He's cool." That was the end of it. However, I would hate to advocate this as a blanket statement of advice because some bullies buck the trend and aren't cowards and outside help is required unless you can go toe to toe and win consistently. It can be a lot like the mechanics of the forest in game sadly.

To agree with you more though I say that politics is a lot like a school yard. There are some individuals that will not reason with you, they will not talk to you and their only language is violence. When that is the only option presented it has to be returned in kind. However, disclaimer again......being physically demolished repeatedly if you can't win the fight is not preferable to outside help if that's an option. Hopefully schools, parents, law enforcement and everyone else is getting better at intervening. I know I have my fingers crossed that they are.....
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm

I remember in primary school I had a completely polar relation with my bullies. Sometimes we would get on perfectly, and sometimes they would throw things at me and generally annoy me. One day one kid started acting up against me, so I just ignored him and continued playing with my other mates (Tight knit group of three or four)> He walked up to me, and shoved me, so I shoved him back as I can get pretty angry. Things escalated pretty quickly and before I knew it a circle had formed and I was in an "Official" fight with this guy who was a little taller, and a decent bit chunkier/ more built then I was. He kicked me down, and I lost the fight, but the story gets good here. The next week, at break time again, he tried to start another fight. My bruises and scars hadn't healed, so I got the name "Grit face" for a while. He went for me almost instantly, but this time I took his first punch, and then grabbed his head and rammed it against the doors of the "Toy shed". I then beat him up so bad you couldn't recognise his face for weeks afterwards, and I had to be pulled away by two assistants.

Long story short, violence is bad.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I did really well. There's this kinda butter faced girl in that class that kind of has a thing for me, and she was looking right into my eyes the entire time. So I locked eyes with her and just held her gaze throughout my entire speech and allowed myself to block out the rest of the class. It really worked well. I didn't get nervous at all. I went and asked my professor afterwards how he thought I did and he said his only criticism was that the speech was supposed to be 8 minutes and I talked for 12. He said other than that I was great. Though as a personal criticism I think I spent too much time looking at my note cards. You're right, its an easy thing to do without totally realizing that you are.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Yay Plastic happy, awesome job dude.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 pm

What's really funny is, this is the second speech I've done in this class and the first one was only 3 minutes, and I got exceedingly more nervous during that one than I did during this one.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Rock rock on. Bet that girl thinks you like her now though
    ❤
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Eh, she's cute enough. She talks about professional wrestling constantly though. I'm not sure if I find that to be a turn on or a turn off.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

The answer is a turn on, factually. What are you waiting for? Ask if she wants to Wrassle!

By the way, I wouldn't recommend asking a woman to wrassle you.

Public speaking is always an odd thing, I have sort of a natural talent for it, even though I'm a shy-ish person.

My issue is actually writing assignments. Stories I'm fine with, but if I ever have to write a letter or email to a teacher it takes me like four days, of revision. I don't know what's wrong with me, but on paper I actually get very nervous.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Its probably because on paper there's added pressure to be professional. It's essentially expected that what you communicate on paper is the most perfect kind of communication your capable of because you have the ability to think about everything your writing before you write it. I understand that.

Plus as an actor, which I imagine makes you a pretty interpersonally oriented person, you lose the ability to sell yourself in your communication that you get when you're doing it with your own speech.

I must admit, it is an interesting thought how easily some sexual positions can become a tombstone piledriver.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Might wanna rehab your knee a little more before that one
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Plastic, I hope some day if you live with a roomate, they come home to hear thunderous sounds with you yelling, "OH yeah," while loudly there is the song "I Am a Real American" is playing, and a tie is resting on the door knob.

That joke may have been going too far.

I'm a writer as well, so it doesn't really make sense. Maybe it's just more if I decide I want to alter how anything is in person, I can just change how I say something based on how my audience is acting. But with writing you have to hope, you can't change it as they're reading it based on their reaction.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Tolvo wrote:Plastic, I hope some day if you live with a roomate, they come home to hear thunderous sounds with you yelling, "OH yeah," while loudly there is the song "I Am a Real American" is playing, and a tie is resting on the door knob.

funny thing is, I don't think that's a joke. I don't even think you made that up! silly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm

That's sort of partially what I meant. You're probably very used to settings where you can play off of your audiences reaction. I used to live with a girl that was a drama major and so much of what she did was based off of how people reacted to her. It was kinda cool actually. You could really see how much her profession influenced how she dictated her day to day business.

Have you ever heard Randy Savage's rap album? If you haven't I highly recommend youtubing "Be a Man Hogan"
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Literally the best rap ever

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 am