Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
djgq42
Wade_Wilson
Whknight
User
Dubscythe
10 posters

How good is the Dragonslayer Spear?

Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

How good is the Dragonslayer Spear? Empty How good is the Dragonslayer Spear?

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:15 pm

This playthrough I planned on beating Ornstein second so I could obtain his Armor and Weapon (because Dragoons are awesome)

How good would the Spear be for a Faith based character?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

How good is the Dragonslayer Spear? Empty Re: How good is the Dragonslayer Spear?

Post by User Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm

its like a lightning or great lightning spear with the r2 attack, although with possibly more amounts with less potential in terms of damage... plus also slower. used if one handed.

The R2 attack when two handed is strong yet slow. The r1 attacks are fast and hard... not as hard as the two-handed r2 attack.

Like any weapon that uses magic such as trident, stone greatsword, or even the majority of the dragon weapons would be useful if you have repair powder. 500 souls a pack, in which repairs 100 durability.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

How good is the Dragonslayer Spear? Empty Re: How good is the Dragonslayer Spear?

Post by Whknight Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 pm

It's rough if memory serves, but you can't use it on a pure faith base. DEX/FTH will get more out of it, but I don't think you can get the same out of it compared to other weapons without doing a STR/DEX/FTH build which would take away from other useful stats. I will say that if you can get the stats right it's an awesome spear that can wreck things at medium/close range easy.

Personally I have no interest in doing a 120 around it, some others may have and can offer better input but I feel it's like the Greatsword of Artorias and doesn't shine until 150-200.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 pm

The lightning scales well with faith, and its a pretty classy weapon.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 pm

it's the only weapon that i know of that scales with both dex and fth. the scaling is ideal for a dex/ fth build (obviously) :oops:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:41 pm

it has c str scaling, b dex scaling, and A (i think) faith scaling, the faith only increases lightning damage done by the spears strikes. for best effect, 27 str (equal to 40 when twohanded) and 40 dex with 30 faith, as that gives you decent fire power and more points to put else where.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Well as it stands right now I have 12 Strength, 10 Dex and 30 Faith at SL44.

So I should just spend the rest of my points on Dex/Str? Should I stop at 80 or 120?

If I messed up my build too much I would be willing to restart
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

I have one at 24 str / 40 dex / 40 faith, 508 AR two handed, about 200~300 damage per hit (SL 120). Very long reach. Classy weapon.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 pm

go to 27 str and 40 dex, then pump the rest in to end and vit (the cut off points for those are 40) if you have points left after that put them in faith and i would recommend a sl 120 build.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:49 pm

I would like to know something because I haven't been around a lot, why do people stop at SL80/120? Is there specific reason?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Unoffical cap for PvP, since the invasion/co-op is 10% in conjunction with +- 10 levels of you.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Basically, the players of Dark souls decided that sl 120 is the "official" PvP level. The reason being that 120 is the highest a build can go without most of them being the exact same.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 pm

And everyone pretty much hangs out at Kiln right? There any spells you guys could recommend to me?

I'll have to make a seperate file in order to 1000g the game then.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

I recommend joining Fight Club much better for fighting than random invasions in my opinion, but I am on a silver membership so I can't touch the multiplayer aspect of the game right now. As for spells lightning spears from Sunbros and wrath of the gods from Rhea are really the only offensive miracles, the magic barriers are pretty helpful as well. Force is good in it's own ways, such as Catacombs or Tomb of the Giants.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes, Kiln is fine. I don't like the spear personally, the high STR requeriments makes it a very bad investment of points for Faith Builds. Even for Dex/Faith builds. Also it does very low damage in my opinion. Just imagine you're using a Lighting Winged Spear +5, but with longer range and a better break guarding effect. Nothing special right?

Anyway, if by spells you mean Miracles, I would recommend you to have WoG, Replenishment or Great Magic Barrier (or both if you can), and Emit Force. You could also add a Great Heal if you don't want to use humanity to heal in case you need to.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Yes, Kiln is fine. I don't like the spear personally, the high STR requeriments makes it a very bad investment of points for Faith Builds. Even for Dex/Faith builds. Also it does very low damage in my opinion. Just imagine you're using a Lighting Winged Spear +5, but with longer range and a better break guarding effect. Nothing special right?

Anyway, if by spells you mean Miracles, I would recommend you to have WoG, Replenishment or Great Magic Barrier (or both if you can), and Emit Force. You could also add a Great Heal if you don't want to use humanity to heal in case you need to.

It may not be the best weapon but I kinda wanna play the part of a Dragoon y'know? And since Ornstein's gear is the closest to that, that is what I wanna use.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Dubscythe wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:Yes, Kiln is fine. I don't like the spear personally, the high STR requeriments makes it a very bad investment of points for Faith Builds. Even for Dex/Faith builds. Also it does very low damage in my opinion. Just imagine you're using a Lighting Winged Spear +5, but with longer range and a better break guarding effect. Nothing special right?

It may not be the best weapon but I kinda wanna play the part of a Dragoon y'know? And since Ornstein's gear is the closest to that, that is what I wanna use.

I'm not sure what you mean by Dragoon, but you could be a Dragon Covenant member you know? Also Ornstein represents a lion, quick, agile and lethal.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Dragoon, armor is usually inspired by dragons, they usually use a lance and their fighting style consists of many lunges a jumps.

They also slay dragons. He may represent a lion but I think Ornstein is as close as I can get to a dragoon style character in this game.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Dubscythe wrote:Dragoon, armor is usually inspired by dragons, they usually use a lance and their fighting style consists of many lunges a jumps.

They also slay dragons. He may represent a lion but I think Ornstein is as close as I can get to a dragoon style character in this game.

Oh, then you're right. After all his name is Dragonslayer Ornstein lol.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:27 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Dubscythe wrote:Dragoon, armor is usually inspired by dragons, they usually use a lance and their fighting style consists of many lunges a jumps.

Oh, then you're right. After all his name is Dragonslayer Ornstein lol.

Exactly! Even if it may not be the best things to use, as long as I'm having fun I don't really mind!
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Consider using the Dragonslayer Bow. I would use Wolf Ring and RoFaP.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Consider using the Dragonslayer Bow. I would use Wolf Ring and RoFaP.

I'm unfamiliar with RoFaP, what does that stand for?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Ring of Favor and Protection, the one Lautrec drops.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Whknight wrote:Ring of Favor and Protection, the one Lautrec drops.

Ah I see, already wearing it!
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Ring of Favour & Protection. Is it that good? It means having one ring slot permanently filled because if you take it off it breaks.

Also Orneys Spear is great. When I first got it I was waving it around all over the place like a mad thing. It wasn't till I rested at a bonfire and routinely repaired my gear that I realised how many souls it took. In other words, it wears out quickly, so be prepared to invest the souls to keep it in one piece.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:22 am