Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
WorldSlayerPIKA
GodOfPaperclips
TheAshenPhantom
SlakeMoth
Rynn
Federally
FruitPunchNinja
Tolvo
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Reaperfan
True King Doran
DoughGuy
Buggy Virus
Sunbro4evar
Serious_Much
Oniramkenobi
20 posters

This makes me sad

Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

This makes me sad - Page 2 Empty Re: This makes me sad

Post by Federally Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Tolvo wrote:That's why I don't co-op in the depths any more. Every person I Co-Op'ed with down there just wanted gear from me, so now I mostly just stick to Anor Londo near the bonfire.

Hopefully you're there tonight. I just made it to Anor Londo and may need assistance!
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:35 pm

I think the way people behave on line is a pretty accurate reflection of how they behave in the real world. I've been around quite a long time and I have to say there is less consideration and respect for other people and their property than there was when I was young. Of course many of you will think this is a classic case of a boring old f**t going on about the 'good old days'. So be it but I happen to think it's true because I was there.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Slake, I'm 19 years old and I completely agree with you. I don't think it's a case of, "Back in my day I used to walk up a mountain through snow to school!"

It's just the way the world is becoming.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Tolvo wrote:Slake, I'm 19 years old and I completely agree with you. I don't think it's a case of, "Back in my day I used to walk up a mountain through snow to school!"

Thanks for that Tolvo. I just hope that there are enough decent young people like you around to help change things.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Tolvo wrote:Slake, I'm 19 years old and I completely agree with you. I don't think it's a case of, "Back in my day I used to walk up a mountain through snow to school!"

In 1980 people threw **** off of a roller coaster for the first time in recorded history. Suddenly everyone started doing similarly inhumane things. We're just ugly people.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Just like how Trolling people has now become the popular thing. sad
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Indeed tolvo, it's not like people even troll for a specific reason, sometimes they randomly do it for fun, pretty ridiculous really.

The reason the online for Dark is worse than Demon's is obvious.. It's a more popular game, and has attracted wider audience, which inevitably includes some trolls.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Rynn wrote:

In 1980 people threw **** off of a roller coaster for the first time in recorded history. Suddenly everyone started doing similarly inhumane things. We're just ugly people.

Really this isn't entirely true. Generally humanity is improving, we are much less barbaric and violent then anytime in recorded history. DkS is fantasy but there was a time not too long ago where people really smashed each other with axes and maces for not much reason at all. While I agree with the Old Timer who posted about a lack of common courtesy in our societies you can't argue against the facts, people are generally becoming more peaceful. Just a problem is the lack of threat of a violent reaction to bad behavior can result in a lot of bad behavior.

The rest of the problem I would say boils down to there just being too many people too close together. Our biology programs us to operate in small tribes yet society is much larger then that and its just not in our nature to care that much about people outside of our circle. Even the most hardened criminals tend to have friends/family they are good too and loyal towards. It's just not natural to care about 330 million people or whatever the numbers may be.
    TheAshenPhantom
    TheAshenPhantom
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by TheAshenPhantom Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

I don't think I've had that problem yet on Dark Souls. I do remember a black phantom clearing the way to the Penetrator in Demon Souls and then challenge me to a fist fight. XD That was the most awkward fight I ever had but god was it fun. Sad I cant find pvp fights like that in Dark Souls, though I am usually found in either Anor Londo or in the Undead Church. I usually will only fight if it's a 1v1 fight and there aren't any monsters to distract us. Can't find any fun if my opponent is being attack by other creatures. Hope you have better luck with other members of the Dark Souls community and Good Hunting!

This makes me sad - Page 2 1361424789
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Federally wrote:
    Rynn wrote:

Really this isn't entirely true. Generally humanity is improving, we are much less barbaric and violent then anytime in recorded history. DkS is fantasy but there was a time not too long ago where people really smashed each other with axes and maces for not much reason at all. While I agree with the Old Timer who posted about a lack of common courtesy in our societies you can't argue against the facts, people are generally becoming more peaceful. Just a problem is the lack of threat of a violent reaction to bad behavior can result in a lot of bad behavior.

The rest of the problem I would say boils down to there just being too many people too close together. Our biology programs us to operate in small tribes yet society is much larger then that and its just not in our nature to care that much about people outside of our circle. Even the most hardened criminals tend to have friends/family they are good too and loyal towards. It's just not natural to care about 330 million people or whatever the numbers may be.

We may be less barbaric but Id say crime is definetily higher. e have more serial killers, assaulters, rapists and gangs. We have more civillised wars but more people die. We may be less violent but the world is on a knifes edge waiting to erupt.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:12 pm

DoughGuy wrote:
    Federally wrote:
    Rynn wrote:
    Tolvo wrote:snip
    snip

We may be less barbaric but Id say crime is definetily higher. e have more serial killers, assaulters, rapists and gangs. We have more civillised wars but more people die. We may be less violent but the world is on a knifes edge waiting to erupt.

May seem like that but the numbers don't lie. Violent crime has fallen dramatically in the past few decades, and actually you can track a rapid decrease in violent crime that follows perfectly with the increased popularity of video games and on the surface it appears games may have contributed to a drastic decline starting in the late 80's. So while it may seem things are worse, they are MUCH MUCH better then they ever have been.

Tho that's only relating to violent crime. I will definitely agree with a certain other type of decline in society that I'm not sure how to explain and is prevalent on the internet. A sort of lack of respect for your fellow man is the only way I can think to put it.
    GodOfPaperclips
    GodOfPaperclips
    Casual
    Casual

Post by GodOfPaperclips Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Maybe civilisation and the gaming community are going down the tubes but there's still hope. If you've got personal ethics then stick to them. Lead by example. You can't turn the trolls but there're those who haven't made up their minds yet, who just need a push in the right direction.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

An Edmund Burke quote and I'm inclined to agree. It's up to us to mould our community.

I guess that's all I've got to say. Chop, chop then. Get to it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 pm

GodOfPaperclips wrote:Maybe civilisation and the gaming community are going down the tubes but there's still hope. If you've got personal ethics then stick to them. Lead by example. You can't turn the trolls but there're those who haven't made up their minds yet, who just need a push in the right direction.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

An Edmund Burke quote and I'm inclined to agree. It's up to us to mould our community.

I guess that's all I've got to say. Chop, chop then. Get to it.

I love that quote. I prefer this version of it - Evil can only happen when good men stand by and do nothing. Unfortunately the good men are outnumbered on the internet.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue May 01, 2012 4:44 am

I was not talking about violence per se. I was not talking about wars or crime. I was talking about everyday consideration and respect for your neighbour. Basic stuff, yes, but it is the foundation of every civilised society. In other words good manners. Here's an example which will no doubt raise a few hackles but I'll say it any way. Parents who take their child into a shop, cafe etc. The child then proceeds to raise hell. Running around, screaming and basically making a nuisance of itself. The parents do nothing. This is what I'm talking about. Those parents are displaying no regard or consideration for the other people present who have every right not to be subjected to their child's bad behaviour. As I said basic stuff but this is where it starts. If children are not taught to respect the rights of others at an early age, then how can they be expected to do this when they become adults?
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am

SlakeMoth wrote:I was not talking about violence per se. I was not talking about wars or crime. I was talking about everyday consideration and respect for your neighbour. Basic stuff, yes, but it is the foundation of every civilised society. In other words good manners. Here's an example which will no doubt raise a few hackles but I'll say it any way. Parents who take their child into a shop, cafe etc. The child then proceeds to raise hell. Running around, screaming and basically making a nuisance of itself. The parents do nothing. This is what I'm talking about. Those parents are displaying no regard or consideration for the other people present who have every right not to be subjected to their child's bad behaviour. As I said basic stuff but this is where it starts. If children are not taught to respect the rights of others at an early age, then how can they be expected to do this when they become adults?

This is a symptom of a peaceful society. If people don't ever have to worry about someone else kicking their *** because they didn't behave, they tend to not behave. This is most obvious in youth of all ages, and really comes out on the internet. Even people who aren't 'good' tend to mind their manners if the threat of getting punched in the face for misbehavior. This threat no longer exists in modern society so its up to the parents to teach respect and many simply aren't up to the task.
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WorldSlayerPIKA Thu May 03, 2012 6:08 am

Following my 5 cents about online society:

I played lot of Battlefield and Uncharted before Dark Souls. The main problem is: Egoism. This characteristic shines in Real Life as in Virtualilty! Too much people want to be the leetest, the elite super duper Star! These particular games do give them a platform to show off their Kill/Death Ratio. I think that gaming should be Fun!

Interesting is also that in Forums most people were complaining about the game, about how the Balancing is crap and that Developers did do a bad job... But still, they keep playing! For me, I am enjoying a game how it comes. I try to adapt. Some have this characteristic, some do not.

I have to say that Dark Souls Forum looks very constructive and helpful! I have had very good and of course also bad experience in Multiplayer. But I have a good point of view till now - community seems to be Teamplayers! The only thing I blame is bad connection from time to time - When fights have a Second or two Lag...!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu May 03, 2012 6:29 am

Federally wrote:This is a symptom of a peaceful society. If people don't ever have to worry about someone else kicking their *** because they didn't behave, they tend to not behave. This is most obvious in youth of all ages, and really comes out on the internet. Even people who aren't 'good' tend to mind their manners if the threat of getting punched in the face for misbehavior. This threat no longer exists in modern society so its up to the parents to teach respect and many simply aren't up to the task.

That. Its why I punch people in the face. They stop being ***** to me after I beat the hell out of them. Its a poor substitute for proper parenting but the more often they get beat on the less likely they are to start something.

Its also why I treat children the way I do, and why they like me. Actions have consequences and, as an adult, it is my duty to teach them that. Once you have, then they respect you and you can start having fun with them.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 am

Mmm... This tread has become really intense and filled with deep thoughts. I do think that most of the humanity has become less barbaric. Not all though, there are still places in the world were time seems to be stopped since hundreds or thousands of years ago. Some other places seems to be god's forgotten lands where unspeakable things happen everyday.
    What I do think is happening nowadays is that we are getting less attached to personal relations and interactivities. That is why people feel like they can trash talk, grief or bully other people on the internet by that impersonal factor.
    There is no consequence. If I say F U to a person in his face I'll probably get a punch on my face and I would had deserved it, there is no need to insult people anywhere. Not in real life, nor the internet.
    The point is that if we want to improve our gaming comunity, then we have to act civilized and with respect to each other and when you find your everydays troll, then just don't fall into his level and move away... Eventually that kind of people will stand down. There is no fun for them if you don't play their game. And that's what they want.
    Knavery
    Knavery

Post by Knavery Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 am

I've been gaming since the days of the Atari 2600 and later the Commodore 64, which I ran a BBS on. I don't see any difference in attitude from the early days of posting messages from a C64 to the online gaming communities we have now. There have always been people out there that get off on treating others with disrespect. Just open up a history book if you're interested in learning about the many sociopaths and psychopaths that have graced our little rock.

I don't really see a difference now other than the fact that we're a lot more globalized. We have access to literally everyone and everything, which is going to make a big difference. I mean in the 50s you could have been fascinated with Ed Gein by reading the newspapers, or if you were lucky, watching it on television. Now, you could be talking to him in Dark Souls.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am

Knavery wrote:I've been gaming since the days of the Atari 2600 and later the Commodore 64, which I ran a BBS on. I don't see any difference in attitude from the early days of posting messages from a C64 to the online gaming communities we have now. There have always been people out there that get off on treating others with disrespect. Just open up a history book if you're interested in learning about the many sociopaths and psychopaths that have graced our little rock.

I don't really see a difference now other than the fact that we're a lot more globalized. We have access to literally everyone and everything, which is going to make a big difference. I mean in the 50s you could have been fascinated with Ed Gein by reading the newspapers, or if you were lucky, watching it on television. Now, you could be talking to him in Dark Souls.

And once you factor in population growth there are more douche bags to run in to, tho per capita its probably the same as its ever been.

On the plus side of things the gamer demographic is rapidly shifting upwards in age, average gamer is 37 and kids under 18 only make up some 20% of gamers.
    Knavery
    Knavery

Post by Knavery Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

Federally wrote:
    Knavery wrote:I've been gaming since the days of the Atari 2600 and later the Commodore 64, which I ran a BBS on. I don't see any difference in attitude from the early days of posting messages from a C64 to the online gaming communities we have now. There have always been people out there that get off on treating others with disrespect. Just open up a history book if you're interested in learning about the many sociopaths and psychopaths that have graced our little rock.

And once you factor in population growth there are more douche bags to run in to, tho per capita its probably the same as its ever been.

On the plus side of things the gamer demographic is rapidly shifting upwards in age, average gamer is 37 and kids under 18 only make up some 20% of gamers.

I'm out of the average than. I'll be 40 this year... It's hard just to type it. Maybe I should take up golf... Nah. Gaming is more fun. happy
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Simple solution if you've finished the game. Just move on onto another game. It's great having no lag or kids begging for lightning weapons over psn.
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    WorldSlayerPIKA
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WorldSlayerPIKA Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Good posts!!!

I understand that humanity made a leap forward in being more peaceful than centuries ago. Despite of this fact, I think that we search to make it even better and better. Damn, there is still lot to do........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:11 pm