Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Specter737
sen545331
JY4answer
einyaki
8 posters

Best Spear in the game and build questions

einyaki

Best Spear in the game and build questions Empty Best Spear in the game and build questions

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:49 am

I would like to ask what the best spear is in the game right now. When I say best I mean the final stats when fully upgraded. My character build is more inclined towards dex/faith. Based on this I was thinking of making a divine spear but I read up on the wiki which says that divine weapons cause deterioration in dexterity.

I for one don't really get how it works. Does that mean that the only time your dex goes low is when you have a divine weapon equipped?

Here's my final settings on this build I'm making:
    **Note: Build will be capped at 120 SL based on the current community cap.

----------------------------------------------------

Stats: (at 120)

VITA 11
    ATTU 34
    ENDU 30
    STRE 16
    DEXT 38
    RESI 11
    INTE 14
    FAIT 48

Stats: (81 SL currently)
    **Note: I am rethinking my stat distribution before continuing cause of
    gear.

Vita 11
    Attu 34 DONE
    Endu 27
    STRE 16 DONE?
    DEXT 26
    RESI 11
    INTE 8
    FAIT 30

----------------------

WEPS:

PYRO (ASCEND) +5 DONE
    Talisman (still deliberating what to do with this)

Crystal Avelyn +5 Done(Repair Magic is Int 14 - another point to consider on my future plans for this build)

Avelyn +15 (Still looking for a trader for an avelyn)

Queelag +5 DONE
    Priscilla's Dagger +5 (currently +4)
    Ghost Blade (currently farming - goddamit why won't it drop...)
    Lightning Ricard's Rapier +5 (currently +4)
    Iato +15 (currently +10)

Lightning Whip +5 Done
    Fire Notched Whip +10 Done

----------------------

PVE Spells:

Great Chaos Fireball 2
    Combustion 1
    Great Combustion 1
    Fire Orb 1
    Fireball 1

Lightning Spear 1
    Great Lightning Spear 1

Heal 1

-----------------------

PVP Spells:

Combustion 1
    Great Combustion 1
    Fire Surge 1

Iron Flesh 1

Wrath Of the gods 1

Darkmoon Blade 1
    Sunlight Blade 1

Heal 1/Fire Tempest 1
    (can be replaced with soothing sunlight or chaos storm by using white seance ring)(have to be in princess guard for soothing sunlight)

------------------------

ARMOR: I already have a line up but need more testing before I post

------------------------

I am trying to break away from the current/overused weapons in this game which has a part in my decision making.

How this build works:

Distance set-up:

R1: Avelyn
    R2: Spear/Ricard's Rapier
    L1: Pyro
    L2: Talisman

Support Set-up:

R1: Whip
    R2: Pyro
    L1: Shield
    L2: Talisman

Semi-Aggro set-up:

R1/R2: Iato/Ghost Blade/Priscilla's Dagger/Ricard's Rapier/Spear
    L1/L2: Pyro/Talisman

Use Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade for Iato/Avelyn weapons

Use WoG for distancing or getting out of tight situations (at least that's how I use it)

Whip weapons as I've found out drain the receiver's stamina FAST when being blocked. (need someone to confirm) It also have a bit longer stagger period for receiver (need confirmation as well).

Ricard's Rapier's HIGH-combo is one of the main selling point for this weapon. It also has the "blocked-poke" action (don;t know if all rapier's share this attribute). It has a special R-Analog+R1 action which is good for distancing. (Another reason why I use Quaalag's fury sometimes. Players should learn to incorporate these special moves into their play).

Use Iron Flesh to be safer to use High-casting time spells (Wog/Fire Tempest/Chaos Storm)(This is tricky as you will be left vulnerable after even if you have iron flesh still active so you have to trust your team mate(s) to cover you). Using this tactic will give you a higher chance of ACTUALLY HITTING your target with firestorm/chaos storm)

Priscilla's Dagger is a BEAST!! Quick combos. Bleed Build-up. I think that's a good trade-up for damage.

Because of the innate low vitality of this build distancing is crucial.

I'm constantly smoothing out what I think are the rough edges for this build.

Overall, my experience with it so far has been nothing short of great.

JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Best Spear in the game and build questions Empty Re: Best Spear in the game and build questions

Post by JY4answer Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:59 am

With high dex and fth, Dragonslayer Spear works best. Longest reach in the game on par with silver knight spear, guard breaking, stunning, and lightning damage makes it powerful to begin with. You can 2 hand for more power and guard breaking, or use a sheild as well. Some say its the most powerful weapon in the game.
    einyaki

Best Spear in the game and build questions Empty Re: Best Spear in the game and build questions

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:03 am

JY4answer wrote:With high dex and fth, Dragonslayer Spear works best. Longest reach in the game on par with silver knight spear, guard breaking, stunning, and lightning damage makes it powerful to begin with. You can 2 hand for more power and guard breaking, or use a sheild as well. Some say its the most powerful weapon in the game.

That was my first choice too until I read something here on the forums about boss weapons only being good at first. yea I'm easily swayed by other people's opinions lol. But anyway, I'll make that. What is the next best spear though? Still looking for something that I can make into a divine weapon.

Thx for your reply
    sen545331
    sen545331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sen545331 Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:20 am

beyond that, the pike has the highest base damage that can do the normal upgrade path, has a multihit run attack and decent reach
    other than that, can try demon spear for the dex, but the lightning spear is generally better than that anyways
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 am

einyaki wrote:
    JY4answer wrote:With high dex and fth, Dragonslayer Spear works best. Longest reach in the game on par with silver knight spear, guard breaking, stunning, and lightning damage makes it powerful to begin with. You can 2 hand for more power and guard breaking, or use a sheild as well. Some say its the most powerful weapon in the game.

That was my first choice too until I read something here on the forums about boss weapons only being good at first. yea I'm easily swayed by other people's opinions lol. But anyway, I'll make that. What is the next best spear though? Still looking for something that I can make into a divine weapon.

Thx for your reply

I think most boss weapons require a lot of stats to support the scaling in order for them to shine. Power wise, this weapon is mediocre, but the point isnt power. its the reach, the speed, the guard breaking when 2handed, and the ability to attack from behind a sheild.
    Specter737
    Specter737
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Specter737 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:57 pm

I can't argue with the Dragonslayer spear, though I never liked weapons with special abilities like it has, because of how fast the durability can run out on you. If that's not an issue for you, then go for it.
    I had a LOT of luck with the silver knight spear. Great range, respectable damage when fully upgraded, and a somewhat versatile moveset for a spear class weapon.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:12 pm

The Silver knight spear is the one I use at the moment, and my experiences with the Dragonslayer spear users have always resulted in their loss. They put too much reliance into the guard break, but I have never lost my guard to it, and when 2 Handed it leaves you far too open.
    einyaki

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I've been looking at Silver Knight's Spear's stats when fully upgraded. It's decent but with no option of turning it into an ascended weapon. I've seen the stats on Pike as well. I will probably end up getting the 3 items and see for myself how they would work in actual combat. Don't want to rely too much in the wiki numbers that someone already brought up as being unreliable since 1.5 .

I'm looking for a GS that could scale with faith or dex atm as well.

Zakkia
    Zakkia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zakkia Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Unlike most people I adored the partizan. It was unique and fun slicing r2. I se dragonslayer's too much. I mean yea good weapon but personally id rather go with something personalized but also effective.
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nitos-Apprentice Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 pm

As a experienced PvPer I would say the Dragon slayer spear is awful. At 120 the most AR you will get is like 450 which is up to par with a Chaos Bandit Knife. Its moveset is also incredibly predicable and all but the R1 attack is easily read. I say the Partizan is the best spear type weapon because it can sweep and thrust which is extremely important. With 40 dex the Partizan +15 reaches AR of 387 BUT it can be enchanted with darkmoon blade and sunlight blade which adds an additional 300 something AR. Then there is also the Lightning Partizan +5 which has a AR of 444 which is efficient for a spear. Although after reading your stats only having 10 vitality wont make you very good at 120 pvp
    einyaki

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Zakkia wrote: personally id rather go with something personalized but also effective.

This is what I'm aiming for.
    einyaki

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Nitos-Apprentice wrote:As a experienced PvPer I would say the Dragon slayer spear is awful. At 120 the most AR you will get is like 450 which is up to par with a Chaos Bandit Knife. Its moveset is also incredibly predicable and all but the R1 attack is easily read. I say the Partizan is the best spear type weapon because it can sweep and thrust which is extremely important. With 40 dex the Partizan +15 reaches AR of 387 BUT it can be enchanted with darkmoon blade and sunlight blade which adds an additional 300 something AR. Then there is also the Lightning Partizan +5 which has a AR of 444 which is efficient for a spear. Although after reading your stats only having 10 vitality wont make you very good at 120 pvp

I was thinking about that as well. The vitality part. I've always thought that if you really know what you're doing and be semi-aggressive without being a turtle I'm good. But I'm thinking about buffing up my Vitality or my resilience.

To tell you the truth my main goal for this build at first was for pure support but now that I'm having so much fun with it I'm rethinking my strategy like I've said before. If worse comes to worst I'll probably redo everything.

I'm really glad to hear some input from experienced players such as yourselves.

As for the Pastisan I'll probably end up making one. I still have to get a divine weapon to accommodate my high faith which at this point I am thinking of not pursuing anymore. But if I do go this path what would you guys suggest?
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Chose either the pike or the partizan, and the elemental upgrade of your choice. Also, why crystal avelyn? You cant use the repair spell glitch for crystal weapons anymore.
    einyaki

Post by einyaki Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:Chose either the pike or the partizan, and the elemental upgrade of your choice. Also, why crystal avelyn? You cant use the repair spell glitch for crystal weapons anymore.

Wait.. WHAT?! I didn't know that... I thought it was an in-game function not a glitch. good thing you told me right away.

Thanks!
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:16 pm

einyaki wrote:
    Wade_Wilson wrote:Chose either the pike or the partizan, and the elemental upgrade of your choice. Also, why crystal avelyn? You cant use the repair spell glitch for crystal weapons anymore.

Wait.. WHAT?! I didn't know that... I thought it was an in-game function not a glitch. good thing you told me right away.

Thanks!

No problem. I couldnt imagine having limited use of my avelyn :cheers
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Nitos-Apprentice
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nitos-Apprentice Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 am

Occult > Divine for a faith build but elemental > Occult. and +15 + enchant > elemental

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:41 am