Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
berkut
roomsixteen
AquaZeroX26
dancash1808
NPCWhiteMage
WyrmHero
Bamjam
nsane32
reim0027
BartholomewWenceslas
Noob-of-Artorias
sinisterapathy
Xacktastic
deadagain
bloodpixel
TehInfamousAmos
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Doelker
Forum Pirate
Digitalyzed
Extertionist
Tolvo
ROOSTER330
DoughGuy
Reaperfan
User
Blazalin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
35 posters

What do YOU do for a living?

JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

What do YOU do for a living?  Empty What do YOU do for a living?

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:23 am

This is a place where we can share what we do for a living! I'll start big grin

I am currently Landscaping. In the past, I've worked for my father, helping him Wallpaper hang. For long enough where we could do a job with me and him, and I could do nearly as much as he could, just not the really important stuff that takes crazy detail.

After that, my parents started their own sign business, and I worked there for quite a while. I can now make physical signs like a boss. I'm not officially trained, but I can just walk into the shop, and if there's work, I CAN help.

My hobby is graphic design. I've done quite a bit, and I've taken college classes. I really love this, and I've done some freelancing, but the most it's given me is 50 bucks. If I were to charge, I would probably have over three thousand dollars from all the jobs I have done. I do this from time to time

The Toyota dealership in my area hires me from time to time to hang signs on the wall and paint. What's awesome about this is that I learned to do these two things right at the spot. I had never put up anything on the wall before Toyota, and yet I said yes. Idk why, but I guess I just simply knew how to do it. I've seen my dad use all the tools that were there, and the GM just told me to do "this, this this, and this." and I did it. I actually did it better than the other guy they had. Not one of my signs were even slightly crooked. Put a level to it, and it's perfectly straight. Math ftw.

Now I'm working at a landscaping company. There's no shortage of hours, but my ankle is still recovering from a break on Nov 2nd of last year. The bone is fully healed, but my joint just doesn't like the uneven ground combined with the lifting, pushing, and all the other things that landscaping entails. So I can only work Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'm planning on upping my hours soon enough. Between those days, I would either work at Toyota, at my parents' sign shop, or school. Now that school is over and my current project at Toyota is finished, I can focus on the sign shop and landscaping.

I am 17. big grin I have college money saved up, and more on the way, and I already have 57 college credits, and all of them were free. big grin

Ok. Enough of me bragging. What do you do for a living! Tell me your story! big grin
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

What do YOU do for a living?  Empty Re: What do YOU do for a living?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 am

Freelance translations mostly.
    Blazalin
    Blazalin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Blazalin Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 am

My band lol in two words
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:36 am

I write that huge OP, and you guys don't even explain what you do haha!

Pendant, what the HECK is that?

Blaz, what kind of music do you play and are you successful at all?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 am

JoeBroski09 wrote:Pendant, what the HECK is that?

When a company wants manuals for their workers translated to English or when they want to bring a foreign marketing campaign into the English market I translate for them.

When international legal matters involve documents/legal filings in a foreign language, I transcribe them into English.

When a show needs to be dubbed for English-speaking voice actors, I translate scripts into English, etc...

I work with the Portuguese and English languages.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:42 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    JoeBroski09 wrote:Pendant, what the HECK is that?

When a company wants manuals for their workers translated to English or when they want to bring a foreign marketing campaign into the English market I translate for them.

When international legal matters involve documents/legal filings in a foreign language, I transcribe them into English.

When a show needs to be dubbed for English-speaking voice actors, I translate scripts into English, etc...

I work with the Portuguese and English languages.
    Whoah. Bow
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 am

A student of sorts, and an idealist at best.

Philosophy and Psychology is my game, and I love to make things, see things, learn things, and above all think things. Things that I generally do always has to do with something, as does for everyone that has a thing.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:47 am

Yeah, but it's freelance work so sometimes things really dry up and it's hard to find something to do. Other times you get a monsoon of jobs laid on your plate all at once and it's hard to meet your deadlines.

So it's not really a career, just something that I do whilst I work on acquiring my degree.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:48 am

Acidic_Cook wrote:A student of sorts, and an idealist at best.

Philosophy and Psychology is my game, and I love to make things, see things, learn things, and above all think things. Things that I generally do always has to do with something, as does for everyone that has a thing.
    I knew you wouldn't give a straight answer haha!

I guess you don't REALLY make a living in an asylum. You just think about Philosophy and Psychology while you and the other patients play Bingo or have a day at a spa or sit in a hot tub..

Gosh, sometimes, I wish I was crazy.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:48 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Yeah, but it's freelance work so sometimes things really dry up and it's hard to find something to do. Other times you get a monsoon of jobs laid on your plate all at once and it's hard to meet your deadlines.

So it's not really a career, just something that I do whilst I work on acquiring my degree.
    That's what I do with graphic design. though, it rarely piles up. I just freelance with people I know. "Oh you need a logo? I could make one up for you and if you like it, it's free big grin"
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:49 am

Don't know if they would let me have a mouse and keyboard at an asylum, could be used to choke some people, intentional or not.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:51 am

Acidic_Cook wrote:Don't know if they would let me have a mouse and keyboard at an asylum, could be used to choke some people, intentional or not.
    Some patients probably would. It depends on what your diagnosis is and how far along you are in your recovery. lol!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:52 am

I've seen your work Joe. You are not a bad graphic artist.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 am

I'm the youngest, most not-female lunch lady in all of Oklahoma happy

Not exactly normal, but it's the best paying job I ran into on my most recent job hunt, and the hours are great. I had to save up a decent amount to get me through the summer, but right now in my life I'm willing to trade being less careless with my money for an annual 3 month vacation (though it DID just cost me a trip to Bronycon :|)

Before that I worked for almost a year at a movie theater. It was nice but got real boring real fast when I was constantly assigned shifts on weekday mornings due to the fact I don't go to any kind of school. You ever been to a movie theater on a Tuesday morning? Nothing to do. I guess you could call it easy money that way, but in the end I left it to try and move out of town with some friends. I had trouble holding down a job in the new town, so I came back and found myself another job with better pay, better hours, and less day-to-day boredom that I described back in paragraph 1 winking

Now I guess the next step is for me to muster up the courage and funds to go back to some kind of school to get a degree and eventually an actual career lol!
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I've seen your work Joe. You are not a bad graphic artist.
    The painting? Naw, that's my worst work. I'm best at vectors. Like this.
    https://youtu.be/HUzAaJ3JJWo

That was near the start of my "professional" career. I've since taken two classes, and I've gotten MUCH better big grin
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 am

Reaperfan wrote:I'm the youngest, most not-female lunch lady in all of Oklahoma happy

Not exactly normal, but it's the best paying job I ran into on my most recent job hunt, and the hours are great. I had to save up a decent amount to get me through the summer, but right now in my life I'm willing to trade being less careless with my money for an annual 3 month vacation (though it DID just cost me a trip to Bronycon :|)

Before that I worked for almost a year at a movie theater. It was nice but got real boring real fast when I was constantly assigned shifts on weekday mornings due to the fact I don't go to any kind of school. You ever been to a movie theater on a Tuesday morning? Nothing to do. I guess you could call it easy money that way, but in the end I left it to try and move out of town with some friends. I had trouble holding down a job in the new town, so I came back and found myself another job with better pay, better hours, and less day-to-day boredom that I described back in paragraph 1 winking

Now I guess the next step is for me to muster up the courage and funds to go back to some kind of school to get a degree and eventually an actual career lol!
    Wait, most non-female lunch LADY. I'm guessing you're either a guy.. or you're a girl who has a very low self esteem haaha!

If you're a guy, why not go for landscaping during the summer? Seriously.. if you know how to operate a lawnmower, a weed eater, and just basic machinery, there's a crazy amount of companies out there who need hiring RIGHT NOW. Ever apply? if you could acquaint yourself with a company or be friends with the owner, you could regularly get the job every summer while you're not working as a "lunch lady." Great way to save up even more money for college.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 am

JoeBroski09 wrote:Wait, most non-female lunch LADY. I'm guessing you're either a guy.. or you're a girl who has a very low self esteem haaha!

If you're a guy, why not go for landscaping during the summer? Seriously.. if you know how to operate a lawnmower, a weed eater, and just basic machinery, there's a crazy amount of companies out there who need hiring RIGHT NOW. Ever apply? if you could acquaint yourself with a company or be friends with the owner, you could regularly get the job every summer while you're not working as a "lunch lady." Great way to save up even more money for college.

I'm a guy lol. The term "lunch lady" is just much more generally recognizable and understandable to people. If I had used the phrase "child nutrition worker for a local school district" (which is the technical title for my position) it would not only be more confusing for people to figure out what I meant, but it would also take alot longer to type tongue

And I've actually considered the idea of getting on some kind of landscaping crew for summer work, as well as things like going back to my old job at the theater (since they get busier during summer they have some employees who are seasonal and only work during summer), but right now I'm enjoying my summer break too much big grin
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am

Hahaha! You didn't even respond to 90% of my post. lol!
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:34 am

Im a DoughGuy at a pizza place in my town. Although I can actually do any job (and often replace my manager when he wants a day off) but working with the dough is what I mainly do. Part time of course. I'm mainly a full time uni student.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:35 am

DoughGuy wrote:Im a DoughGuy at a pizza place in my town. Although I can actually do any job (and often replace my manager when he wants a day off) but working with the dough is what I mainly do. Part time of course. I'm mainly a full time uni student.
    Sounds like a fancy pizza place big grin
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 am

Not really. Its take out only but its family owned and a really friendly place to work. Plus my uncle's sister is married to the bosses's brother so that helps silly
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:42 am

Im a street cop in a bad place in south carolina. Been doin it since i was legally able at 21, now 28, been on the swat team for about 5 years now, still one of the smallest guys on the team and the youngest entry guy on the team. Worked in a few factories and other normal jobs since i was 14...may or may not have lied about my age on an application or two (had to get a car and pay bills man happy
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 am

ROOSTER330 wrote:Im a street cop in a bad place in south carolina. Been doin it since i was legally able at 21, now 28, been on the swat team for about 5 years now, still one of the smallest guys on the team and the youngest entry guy on the team. Worked in a few factories and other normal jobs since i was 14...may or may not have lied about my age on an application or two (had to get a car and pay bills man happy
    Nice. Good work mate.
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks, its interesting, thats for sure. Never thought its where i would end up, lifes crazy like that. On a side note, our swat team is part of a search and rescue team that consists of firefighters and ems workers too...its called the STARS team ... for those familiar with resident evil games.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:58 am

Hey there, basically my work is a bit odd and unstable, but something I do enjoy. Now some might mention, "Tolvo, you won't make a living doing that." And you're right, but it's just a temp thing actually, and not entirely the path I'm planning for.

So basically I do a few things, mainly I'm an actor. I work for cheap with indepent directors in making films, usually I'm wanted because my focus is on staying in character as well as helping in writing lines, with that I often put a lot more effort into my work and I'll only accept a role if I think I can actually improve the film. Now I won't be showing you guys any if them, as of course I don't have the rights to put any of them online. As well I'm a bit humble about my acting so I prefer for peope outside of the crew to not let me know they've seen it as I get a bit embarassed.

With the acting, I also work as a minor script writer often editing and writing smaller scenes for the films I help with. This work I'm a bit better with and sometimes I'm also called to translate the film into a novel which is sometimes fun, sometimes tedious. The novels are usually a bit short as they are independant films, and are more so used as gifts to crew members and used as mementos of the film rather than sold for a profit or used for advertisement.

Last but not least I work as a general editor and writer. Sometimes people will request a story for something, help, hell I also offer my services as sort of a tutor for people at my college. But pretty much I spend most of my time writing non-stop, selling what I can but mostly experimenting and doing things just for the practice rather than money.

So I don't really make much and I get by, but that's all I really want out of my work right now. I'm not looking to become a blockbuster actor or screenwriter, more so I'm working towards becoming a teacher, general editor, and if I'm lucky one day a known author. But for now I just stick with independant and smaller things.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am