Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
berkut
roomsixteen
AquaZeroX26
dancash1808
NPCWhiteMage
WyrmHero
Bamjam
nsane32
reim0027
BartholomewWenceslas
Noob-of-Artorias
sinisterapathy
Xacktastic
deadagain
bloodpixel
TehInfamousAmos
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Doelker
Forum Pirate
Digitalyzed
Extertionist
Tolvo
ROOSTER330
DoughGuy
Reaperfan
User
Blazalin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
35 posters

What do YOU do for a living?

Xacktastic
    Xacktastic
    Addicted
    Addicted

What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 3 Empty Re: What do YOU do for a living?

Post by Xacktastic Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 am

I am a student. Simple really.

In Washington, there is a program called Running Start. It lets you go to a local community college for your Junior and Senior year of high school. This allows you to earn both high school and college credit simultaneously. I went full time, with 15 credits a quarter, and just now graduated high school with my Associates Degree finished.
    Oh, I also skipped the 6th grade.
    So, I'm 17 and have two years of college done.
    I will be attending the University of California, Irvine in the fall as a Junior majoring in Biological Sciences. My hope is to go to medical school after that and end up becoming an orthopedic surgeon.
    It feels super crazy knowing I will be living on my own at a dorm while I am still 17 for a few months.
    Anyways, that's me! I am a student. I try to be a successful one, but it makes everything else come second, which really sucks balls.
    But hey, I could be a doctor by the time I am 24. So, totally worth it. silly
    sinisterapathy
    sinisterapathy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinisterapathy Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:55 am

Well im currently unemployed big grin big grin

I used to at a factory called anchor. You know Gladware and all those other brands of crappy plastic bowls/lids? Yeah i made those...also made the stuff used in most major food chains.

I was an operator. Basically my job was to check the product every few hours do various tests on them and adjust the machines if they are out of spec. If it broke down(which they did often because they were all old and used when they bought em) I had to fix it. I was also responsible for the packers on my line(the people who threw the bowls and lids in a box...i started out doing this) making sure they do their job right...which few did. I also took their place and sent them to break. Now in this place there were these GIANT ovens every 15ft or so(on for every line) which were set 800-1200F and they had crappy ventilation and no a/c so obviously it was quite hot. in the summer 120f+

We worked 12 hours shifts and since i had so many things to do and the company refused to spend the money to actually fix things. They would just take shortcuts and rig it to run like crap and break down alot...On average i would get 2 5-10 minute breaks a day. I also got paid a mere 12$ an hour. So when i had enough money saved i quit and have been living off my savings for the past 2 months.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 am

Why the hell does every american on here have half finished a degree by the time they finish high school?
    And why the hell dont we have that in australia?
    Xacktastic
    Xacktastic
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xacktastic Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 am

DoughGuy wrote:Why the hell does every american on here have half finished a degree by the time they finish high school?
    And why the hell dont we have that in australia?

Don't worry, most of America misses out too. Just us in the Northwest.
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 am

I didnt have money for college and screwed off too much to have the grades for a scholarship etc, i lived in a one bedroom apartment with my cousin when i was still in highschool, working crappy labor jobs untill i landed the cop thing. Most americans are too stupid (my younger self included) to do the right things early. Just got a couple smart young ones on here, its giving you a clouded perception about americans, i promise happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 am

Yeah, while a lot of people on this site had good plans, trust me when I say most Americans play it by ear it when it comes to college. I can't tell you how many people I know who planned to live their life drawing anime, then found out colleges don't take portfolios with mainly anime in them for art schools.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 am

Most people I know haven't even stepped foot in a college. That might be an exaggeration but this forum does seem skewed. Xacktastic.....we have that in the Northeast too. I decided against half a year of Spanish and biology at college level in high school that would have been the equivalent, credit wise, of an Associate's. The only difference we might have is that the courses taught while in high school are all core with very few opportunities to focus on a major and usually no option to come away with a degree. It just makes your four year life easier. For instance, the only math I had to take was statistics because it was required for both of my majors. The only science I took (I didn't need to however) was intro to forensics and I didn't need anything with a lab, English, Foreign Language and I think one or two more requirements were met. So basically I started on my major first semester.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm an Engineer.

I currently work for a Civil Engineering firm in San Diego, though I would love to work for the firm my grandfather runs in New Orleans (built the longest bridge in the world)
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 pm

My school doesn't have a college placement thing like that but we do have advanced placement classes which count for college credit, so it's kind of the same deal.

As for what I do, I'm a high school student, a junior now. Maintaining a 4.12 GPA at the moment and I have a 150 page summer homework packet that I'm currently ignoring...
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm a veterinarian. Have been for the last 8 years.

Hmmmmm, prolly shouldn't have dated myself like that. Look Skyward
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 pm

So you started in a family business who started a branch in mexico? Im guessing that was after you were trained enough to work alone or with another vet. So, 3 years of training in your family from age 14. Started as a vet at 17. So you're 25?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm

reim0027 wrote:I'm a veterinarian. Have been for the last 8 years.

Hmmmmm, prolly shouldn't have dated myself like that. What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 3 2707236321
    Nice work gramps silly
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19 pm

I think I'm obligated to stick up for us old timers
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:22 pm

There do seem to be a fair few 25+ regulars on the forum.
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 am

Making me feel so young lol! As far as I'm aware, Wade and I are some of the youngest people on the forums, and I've seen people in their 40's, so there's quite a variety of ages here. It just shows how awesome this game truly is cheers
    Xacktastic
    Xacktastic
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Xacktastic Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Honestly, as far as school goes, my GPA dropped when I did college for my jr and sr year. But I will say it helped prepare me for SAT's, and I ended up getting a 1980 on those. That got me a 20k scholarship to my college. So I would say it was worth it. Barely hung on to the 3.5GPA though.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 pm

9 total years in college + 8 years as a vet. Prostration

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:29 pm

9 years for vet over there? I thought the 7 over here was bad :|

Yeah dough, there's plenty of guys over 30 on here I've seen discussing their kids, just shows our diversity eh?

Props to us being able to support such a diverse community.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Wait a second, eight years at school and nine working...Reim is only seventeen! Haha, you're younger than me, thus I am completely superior! Wasting your childhood in school!
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:27 am

Im an assassin
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:41 am

Like Antonio Banderas? Bad movie reference engage
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 pm

nah but ill first go military then design games
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Im a painter! An industrial spray painter that is lol. I paint decorative gas stoves all day long for the last 5 years and i love the job! Its a no brain job and i can listen to my favorite music all day long on my mp3 player. I pretty much screwed up my school and dont got any papers or anything so i have to do something to feed myself and pay for my house and clothes and alcohol addictions (going out with friends every weekend).

All in all im pretty happy how my life turned out cheers.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Painting is great! One of the best skill jobs that doesnt require an education.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:57 am

I make DkS builds. I am in a gap year like Serious, trying to find a job but no luck so far. I finished some incomplete courses, I had to do 1 quantum physics homework and 2 lab reports (I'm lazy when I don't like the thing). I'm supposed to graduate from a Bachelor's in physics (yes) and I waiting to see if I passed the lab courses. I passed quantum with a C, my GPA is around 2.90 I think. I just want to graduate so I won't hear from physics for the rest of my life. It's sad really, I'm a frustrated "professional". I had the opportunity to apply for P&G (a company that makes women products) but I had to take a test that I think I couldn't pass (it was insanely difficult).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:03 am