Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
skarekrow13
JohnnyHarpoon
6 posters

Dungeons & Dragons Thread

JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Dungeons & Dragons Thread Empty Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey!

I've recently had another streak of awol-ness...and this time, it's because I temporarily put down the controller and have actually been playing in a D&D campaign.

Then, I got to thinking, and wondered if, maybe, just maybe, some of you dudez enjoy partaking in the D&D thing, too, and would maybe like place to come together and stuff.

This is that place.

So, who here likes to play/plays D&D?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Dungeons & Dragons Thread Empty Re: Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I used to love AD&D when I was younger. Original rule set, briefly got into the revised with THAC0 and all that but then most of the people I played with went different directions. Tried Rifts then later Werewolf the Apocalypse/Vampire the Masquerade. I kinda liked the last two as the simpler rule sets allowed for more storytelling. Haven't played in close to a decade likely.

Oh yeah, welcome back Johnny....seems like it's been forever
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I played a campaign for a short while a year or two ago, but other than that it's been pretty much a decade for me, too (used to play 3rd edition).

We are actually playing Pathfinder now, just because it's more updated/rewarding...and it's free (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)! We've run into a few snags confusing old rules with new rules, but on the whole it's been pretty fun so far. I actually originally intended for my character to be based off a Dark Souls build I made...but I got too caught up in archetypes (similar to prestige classes) and have a different set of tricks up my sleeve.

Also, I started reading Game of Thrones after season 2 of the show ended, so between that and D&D, I just can't seem to squeeze in the digital version (aka Dark Souls). I missed the community, though, for sure.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:59 pm

I liked the vampire and werewolf games character building because they let you get extra points by adding huge flaws to your character. Made for great toke playing. My favorite was Simon Andrews my vampire. Born in the late 1800s he was raised as a cowboy. I added a ton of points to two hand fighting, pistol use and gun smithing. To pay for this he was mute and had a character flaw in which he thought he was unstoppable. I got trapped in a tower by a sorceress and rather than go through the trouble of hearing her out in get terms I played my flaws and he jumped out the window. Used blood skill to heal and walked in the front door to put the conversation on his terms
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:34 pm

If by D&D you mean 3.5 (seriously screw 4) and The star wars D20 yes.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Pathfinder counts? silly
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Dungeons: The Dragoning. At level 1 entirely within the rules I own the biggets possible battlecruiser in the game, withj the best weapons and shields. Yte ourt group came close to dying inthe first session silly
    I still like 3.5 though but its nice to have a change.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:15 am

skarekrow13 wrote:I liked the vampire and werewolf games character
    building because they let you get extra points by adding huge flaws to
    your character...

That's interesting. My one friend has told me he used to have this one Cyberpunk which like, you could get cybernetic limbs and stuff, but like too much would sort of make you not exactly human, or something along those lines. Seems like a similar large reward/penalty trade-off...but yeah, that sounds pretty fun. I like the 1800's aspect, I know it's Vampires and such, but a sort of Cowboy campaign would be really interesting.

Forum Pirate wrote:If by D&D you mean 3.5 (seriously screw 4) and The star wars D20 yes.

4th Edition is a little much, I agree. It really seemed to change style/get more cartoony. Also, I thought I was the only one with the Star Wars D20 book! I also had 'Oriental Adventures', which was basically just ninjas and samurai and rat people (Master Splinter style) and stuff.

I had a sick Star Wars campaign going for a while...I was fighting with two Lightsabers before Ewan McGregor or whomever did it in Episode 2.

Azran wrote:Pathfinder counts? silly

I seem to be enjoying Pathfinder so far - I find it a little more rewarding to the player than 3 or 3.5 (feats every other level!), but without the sillyness that managed to get thrown into 4th. There are a few things that seem to be overly simplified, but I actually don't mind so much given it all seems to help expedite combat (for example, cover is simplified to just partial or full cover, more or less).
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 am

First Edition AD&D! The way the Gygax intended......

Some of the kick rear old books I spent too much time with were the First edition versions of Deities and Demigods, Oriental Adventures, The Monster Manual and the Fiend Folio, and some more for sure.

Sorry, should have specified that the vampire character was born in the 1800s, forced into stasis and revived in the 1990s. Made him even more out of place. And the storyline I was talking about earlier was one in which he had been on a mission to kill a werewolf which happened to be a player character in a werewolf campaign. So imagine a crazy cowboy vampire who can't really communicate easily in the middle of a werewolf campaign and not always being very helpful. The roleplaying was pretty sweet.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:13 am

Just wanted to ask a serious question here - wtf is the point of NOT being a Monk?
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:36 am

I always had an interest in D&D, I like the idea of playing a game by reading a book. The thing is, my friends don't like these types of games and I don't like playing an RPG around people. I get really picky when I play board games, and think over every single detail when I play RPGs, so I'll be wasting everyone's time everytime I get my turn or asking everyone this or that. It's too bad it can't be played solo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:04 am