Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
SlakeMoth
DoughGuy
Serious_Much
7 posters

Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore?

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore? Empty Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore?

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Okay, was reading the wiki page, and quotes from some of the reviews were saying it had a 'hardcore' nature and that it's frustrating and difficult?

I dunno where they get this from.. You have freedom to wander into an area where you'll get slaughtered and you don't get guidance about what is the main quest.. but that's about it.

I presumed that any RPG that's not the mass catered skyrim would have an element of 'come back later' in it's areas and quests, and that enemies actually can kill you.. Is this just not the expectation anymore seriously?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore? Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore?

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 am

I think the hardcore element comes from the fact some enemies can kill you easily unless you are high level, and they are available early game. I dont think people are meant to die a lot anymore. Or at leats they dont expect too.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore? Empty Re: Dragon's Dogma... Meant to be hardcore?

Post by SlakeMoth Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:43 am

Strangely, Serious, I thought Dragon's Dogma was harder than Dark Souls, mainly because the battles were such a mess. Too many toons for me and there was always one or two breathing their last, which meant I spent as much time healing as fighting. No, like Greta Garbo, 'I want to be alone'. I want to stand or fall through my own efforts but that says more about the kind of player I am than the quality of the game.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 am

SlakeMoth wrote:Strangely, Serious, I thought Dragon's Dogma was harder than Dark Souls, mainly because the battles were such a mess. Too many toons for me and there was always one or two breathing their last, which meant I spent as much time healing as fighting. No, like Greta Garbo, 'I want to be alone'. I want to stand or fall through my own efforts but that says more about the kind of player I am than the quality of the game.
    By banishing the 2 extras and letting your main die you can adventure alone. However unless you're a mage toon healing is going to become annoying.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am

DoughGuy wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:Strangely, Serious, I thought Dragon's Dogma was harder than Dark Souls, mainly because the battles were such a mess. Too many toons for me and there was always one or two breathing their last, which meant I spent as much time healing as fighting. No, like Greta Garbo, 'I want to be alone'. I want to stand or fall through my own efforts but that says more about the kind of player I am than the quality of the game.
    By banishing the 2 extras and letting your main die you can adventure alone. However unless you're a mage toon healing is going to become annoying.

Alas, the problem of using the MMORPG Trinity of Classes. silly
    Are potions expensive?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:34 am

Azran wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:

Alas, the problem of using the MMORPG Trinity of Classes. silly
    Are potions expensive?
    They dont eixst! Insted you eat grass to make yourself heal. And grass is pretty cheap.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Only thing I found challenging in the game were the very last "black"-versions of boss creatures. Some of those offered pretty decent challenge.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 pm

In mainstream media, "hardcore game" translates roughly to "game that requires thought," and "core gamers" to "not idiots."
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Play a mainstream game with voice chat on and you will realize why "not idiots" comprises the hardcore 5%

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:52 am