Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
SpankyDmonkey
DamageCK
Uparkaam
User
retro
9 posters

ideas for preventing gesture spamming

retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

ideas for preventing gesture spamming Empty ideas for preventing gesture spamming

Post by retro Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 pm

For a series that has such a tight aesthetic and dark tone, gesture spamming just looks goofy and out of place. I'd like to see gesture spamming impossible in future Souls titles.

Would the following feel too restricting?

-The gesture animation has to finish and can't be interrupted by another one, or restarted
    -The same gesture cannot be used for another 5 seconds after it finishes
    -A different gesture cannot be used for another 2-3 seconds
    -A gesture can be canceled for the sake of battle, but another gesture cannot be used for another 5 seconds

If players want to look silly they'll always be able to spin in circles, swap items quickly, block/unblock, etc, but I think changing gestures so they aren't used for the same purpose wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus it would be a very easy thing to do.

Last edited by retro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

ideas for preventing gesture spamming Empty Re: ideas for preventing gesture spamming

Post by User Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:31 pm

To be fair, I think it allows better use of creating new gestures if played right. I use the Prostration when I hit the knees, then the point up gesture to follow as soon as the knees hit the ground.

Also, the best gesture can not be repeated as such, and that gesture is the worm.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

ideas for preventing gesture spamming Empty Re: ideas for preventing gesture spamming

Post by Uparkaam Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm

-The same gesture cannot be used for another 5 seconds after it finishes
    -A different gesture cannot be used for another 2-3 seconds

I think these changes would be maybe a bit too harsh.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:47 pm

I want gesture cancels.
    SpankyDmonkey
    SpankyDmonkey

Post by SpankyDmonkey Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 pm

I don't really care about gesture spamming, but man do I want a cancel...
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Exactly. Why is spamming an issue? Let me cancel!.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Sounds like someones getting killed in pvp lol.

I don't have a prob with it honestly. After about 500 deaths i stopped caring. It just doesn't get to me, as nothing they do to make us mad does anymore.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm

IMO, I think the best mario is the Hammer Thrower.

Also, all gestures are lame; undead Rapport and the Worm all the way, show them the best gestures of anything. Care for an explanation?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Win. Thats how I stop it.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Sadly, invaders can not cast undead rapport. 😢
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    ZikoLogiKa NL
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ZikoLogiKa NL Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Gestures are allright & it's nice you can be creative by canceling them into another
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 pm

lordgodofhell wrote:
    Haven't we all? winking

It doesn't bother me that much to lose and get gesture-bombed. I've put a ton of hours into the game and I find that a lot of things probably bother me less than a lot of other players. (example: I love playing solo in the forest as a host and don't really mind whatever people try and do to kill me)

But I think it would look nicer if they found a way to largely kill or prevent gesture spamming to maintain a more stoic vibe. Voice chat is left out because it would drag on the atmosphere of the game, and for a similar reason I think limiting gesture use would also be a good idea. Gesture spamming isn't nearly as bad as voice chat would be, but to a lesser degree its still a form of 'goofy communication'.

Forum Pirate wrote:Win. Thats how I stop it.
    And for co-op summons...?

I'm not going to pretend like I haven't done it, we've all gotten bored and **** around in co-op waiting for another summon, but if the game was made how I would've implemented gestures I don't think I would really mind the restriction. happy
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:19 pm

retro wrote:
    lordgodofhell wrote:
    Haven't we all? winking

It doesn't bother me that much to lose and get gesture-bombed. I've put a ton of hours into the game and I find that a lot of things probably bother me less than a lot of other players. (example: I love playing solo in the forest as a host and don't really mind whatever people try and do to kill me)

But I think it would look nicer if they found a way to largely kill or prevent gesture spamming to maintain a more stoic vibe. Voice chat is left out because it would drag on the atmosphere of the game, and for a similar reason I think limiting gesture use would also be a good idea. Gesture spamming isn't nearly as bad as voice chat would be, but to a lesser degree its still a form of 'goofy communication'.

Forum Pirate wrote:Win. Thats how I stop it.
    And for co-op summons...?

I'm not going to pretend like I haven't done it, we've all gotten bored and **** around in co-op waiting for another summon, but if the game was made how I would've implemented gestures I don't think I would really mind the restriction. happy

yes, we all have been killed alot, kind of why we play i guess lol.

If we had voice chat I would do what I used to do. Just breathe heavily into the mic the whole time fighting someone with zero background noise
    ideas for preventing gesture spamming 4205493335
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

You can use undead rapport as an invader... The actual use of it will be gone, however the gesture of using the rapport is there... Just can't turn undead. Still fun to use as gesture.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Stoic vibe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzHDBzHuWiI

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:45 am