Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+49
Lancelot
Sorrow95
GrinTwist
IV_Mark_VI
Shkar
RNsunbro
Nybbles
Chr0m3
Phantasmio
Knight Alundil
Aces ovr Eights
Aramat_857
DigitaLinsanitY
matthewm7
Cynic
Bloodios
ICEFANG
tofucactaur
Darkson
Jorund
bmurn
Shabbalaba
Scirvir
Doelker
Lachsfilet
Ghadis_God
RandelOolacile
befowler
Eolan
dead_boy
roomsixteen
baby_beavis
VinheimProfessor
Rynn
Bold berthold
Dark Souls PRO
Green__Eagle
ublug
Gawain
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
BoilerFan8472
swordiris
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Isirith
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
fireLESS
53 posters

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 8 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by Jorund Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:24 am

Well, I'm almost 900% sure this has been tried before, simply because I feel like everything in DkS has been tried, but I've been doing some thinking about the Everlasting Dragon.

Has anyone tried taking a +5 Dragon King Greataxe 2H and using the R2? This idea occurred to me in thinking about the differences between the Gaping Dragon and the dragons of old. It's said that the Gaping Dragon is a deformed descendant of the dragons.

"This axe, one of the rare dragon weapons, is formed by the tail of the Gaping Dragon, a distant, deformed descendant of the everlasting dragons."
    "The axe is imbued with a mystical power, to be released when held with both hands."

So I thought, you know, maybe this nasty descendant of the dragons possesses some inkling of their power--just enough to do damage to them.

This is, after all, the strongest dragon weapon in the game unless I'm missing out on one. Maybe 2H R2 until the durability runs out? I dunno. Just a thought.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 8 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am

It never hurts to try. Stupid invincible beings
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 am

My real question is... Why would a dragon act as a Firekeeper? He doesn't even have a Firekeeper Soul.
    Every other firekeeper does, Anastacia, the Fair Lady, the lady darkling.
    Anastacia gets killed and if you defeat Lautrec you can get her soul and keep it. And you can kill the other two to obtain their souls as well.
    What is the reasson to have an everlasting dragon as a firekeeper if you can't get its soul? An how could they act as one if it's said that the firekeepers are beings filled with humanity???
    It bugs me.
    baby_beavis
    baby_beavis
    Regular
    Regular

Post by baby_beavis Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58 am

Maybe he isn't actually a firekeeper. He's just next to the bonfire.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 am

We don't know if it has a firekeeper soul or not because we can't kill it. You're right though that the others seem to fit a trend that the dragon does not. At first thought I would say that the covenant ties it to humans and therefore humanity but the dragon is offered scales and not black sprites. However, the word sprite means something like a fairy. Since this differs from the more abstract idea of humanity (quality or condition) though it begs the question of the origin of humanity in game. I see a lot of discussion that humanity sprites are pieces of the pygmy's Lord Soul which I tend to agree with. However calling them sprites suggests that they are small creatures that are born of the Lord Soul and not just soul fragments. We consume these beings to increase our condition of humanity. This actually fits since the firekeeper souls have humanity writhing under their skin meaning it has the ability to move. So with all that being said, how does humanity go from the soul of a pygmy descendant to a fairy like existence? And in particular the dragon we need to kill if it is a Firekeeper. I've seen others say that the dragon might be the ultimate covenant member, a human who actually turned into a dragon rather than the mimicking we can do.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10 am

Physics final today. I neglected the class and it caught up with me. I find it interesting that when a firekeepers fire goes out (at least in the case of firelink shrine), the fire is gone. No flame. No little burning embers. Yet at the fires that I do not light and I constantly run by, these show a lil fire in there for some reason. I think the linking of the firekeepers remaining fires is keeping those embers lit in all the other bonfires. So I feel that the Edragon must be a firekeeper. Maybe he has a firekeeper soul once u kill him? At any rate. Stupid Test is in a few hours so after that I prob put some time in..
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 am

Killin em as one does. No freakin changes. I went to firelink and saw that punk lizard wife awake. He says "what is it? Place the lord vessel! No need to pause." Dudes a punk. Sorta want to free Rhea. Might try for a mission to get some of her goods before I move on to vessel nonsense.

@jorund, I had that dragon great axe with another character. It is a very nice weapon. I agree there is some story line significance. But I can't say the weapon stood out like BLAOW. That being said it wasnt an extinguish run, it wasnt NG+, and it wasn't tried on the Edragon. So not saying much here actually. An interesting idea.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:01 am

Easy trip to weird library down here at pinwheel and rite of kindling. I think it was Beavis who mentioned the idea that a book could be of significance. This place is for real a library. It's devoted to books. I wish we had a solid connection to Seath (the idea of eternally lit bonfires for Gwyn), through these books. The place is drownding in books! Why!? I ask you!? Why?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Four kings wasn't too bad. I got the bequeathed lord soul shard! It still satiates regardless.
    Primordial liar 2 fed me his bs. I told him no. That guy was shocked that I turned him down.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Rhea just said "vereor nox".
    This means "fear the night" in Latin, I think. What she doesn't know is, I ain't never scared!

At this point, I still have not placed the lordvessel. Lautrec is dead and I have acquired another firekeeper soul. Before placing the lordvessel, I will try and clear all the other areas first, including Gwyndolin. Killing him will be an exciting time. It will turn my anor londo firekeeper against me, and let me get a dragon-killing sunspear powerup miracle. I'll darken anor londo for good. All the areas and bosses darkened and killed in that old and beautiful land.
    I am a little iffy about when Rhea leaves the parish. I bought some miracles, but I left 4 (the four I already picked up elsewhere). I think I have a window of 2 or 3 boss fights before she is threatened. Im going to have to kill old boy soon. Things are going down. It is fun to play the game this way. I know that I will have to follow a cadence that will leave me with only the Edragon fire at the end. So I will be spawning there at the end of the game (if I sit down at it), as I prepare to fight Gwyn.

fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:09 pm

Alright, I killed gwynever setting in motion the chain of events. Anor Londo is now dark with no firekeeper. Ran down and killed Petrus, rhea is now doing whatever it is that she does in dukes archives. went ahead and down to the EDRAGON. His fire was already lit. I put an incredible beating on him. I used wrath of gods next to him with the ring of firstborn son and 50 faith. He gets his tail cut off again. And again. And then again. And I hurl great bolts Into his bloody wound. He just keeps on going.
    The only thing left to do before placing the lord vessel is to kill the stray demon... I guess. Anybody have any opinions on what it means to place the lord vessel? Is that like lighting a bonfire? Or is it merely a lordfire which in essence is different from the others. Decisions decisions.
    Trying to decide if I should kill "my lady" firekeeper before placing the vessel. That would put out every fire that we know how to put out.
    I like that NpCs are scared of me. Like the as I killed the anor Londo firekeeper, she's all like "how the! gwyndolin, this man, he is dangerous!" and that's what stupid eingy said about me. The game still plays like this is how it should go down. Just the way I had to scramble back through the shortcuts, sens fortress an down to blight town to get leveling and warp abilities, or the way the catacombs allows u to shortcut through so it's very possible to do this without adding heaps of time to your game. As long as you play it right.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 8 Empty UPDATE:

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 pm

I KILLED another fire keeper. The ONLY remaining fire is now stone cold steve dragon.

I am convinced these unlit bonfires are getting smaller. Absolutely convinced. Can someone else confirm this? For instance, when Lautrec kills the firekeeper, do the flames visible in the UNLINKED fires get smaller?

I am convinced that they do get smaller. Now that I only have the stone dragon, I cant really even make out a flame in them. I can see that there is MORE burning in it then at the firekeeper fire that def. went out. But less burning in the unlit bonfire after killing a keeper, then even less, then even less. Now all I have is the stone dragon. All fires out except the stone dragon, and I have not placed the vessel.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:04 pm

My guess would be that if you can extinguish that fire before progressing to the next playthrough you should avoid placing the lordvessel for now. Now the million dollar question......how to put out that last fire
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm

fireLESS wrote:I KILLED another fire keeper. The ONLY remaining fire is now stone cold steve dragon.

I am convinced these unlit bonfires are getting smaller. Absolutely convinced. Can someone else confirm this? For instance, when Lautrec kills the firekeeper, do the flames visible in the UNLINKED fires get smaller?
    I have put out every single fire in my world now, I am on NG+++... the unlit bonfires no longer glow, and in fact, when I accidentally tried to light one, I got the message "The Bonfire is unstable" and it just went back out immediately.

So now I just have to ask, has anyone seen this before? What the *** just happened?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Holy COW! THAT IS HUGE. This is what I am talking about!!! RESULTS BABY!

Get your butt down to Edragon and do work son!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm already down there... I was going to visit him when I impulsively lit the bonfire at the top of the tree... and as I mentioned, it just sputtered back out, and I got a "The bonfire is unstable" message in bold letters, instead of "You lit the bonfire" or whatever the message usually says.

As far as the E-Dragon? Nothing has changed down here.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Interesting. Ya know whats weird. When I mentioned the flame getting smaler in the fire. It was also the fire at the top of the Hollow....
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

If we assume that a Firekeeper tends one but influences many I would think that the fire you're talking about would be connected to the dragon. I would say try another bonfire to light but if you did bring forth flame then......uh.....that would be a lot of time gone.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:If we assume that a Firekeeper tends one but influences many I would think that the fire you're talking about would be connected to the dragon. I would say try another bonfire to light but if you did bring forth flame then......uh.....that would be a lot of time gone.

I like that phrase "a firekeeper tends one but influences many". This is a true statement. The fire keeper fires are important, (more important or historic than the other bonfires)
    Thats why I can still warp to Firlink Shrine, Anor Londo, and Daughter of Chaos from the stone dragon.

Still this theory is awesome only if we can kill the E dragon. I still think following the intro with the correct miasma will do the trick, OR its initiated through coop or uncovering the REAL firekeeper hiding beneath the dragon. or something.
    CAN I SET DOWN THE FREAKING LORD VESSEL OR NOT? I guess I have to.

This game is awesome. (SIDE NOTE)
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Perhaps the Everlasting Dragon isn't the Firekeeper at all, but is just resting there. Anastasia, for example, is not immediately near the Firelink Shrine bonfire. The closest person to this bonfire is The Crestfallen Warrior. This would make some sense, as dragons apparently can't use humanity, and an essential element for being a Firekeeper is that they draw massive amounts of humanity. Also, so much humanity results in deformities yet the Everlasting Dragon seems completely healthy. Perhaps you don't have to kill the Everlasting Dragon at all.

This leads to another thought: the Fair Lady is said to be sick because of sucking the poison from Eingyi's body in an attempt to heal him. However, returning to Firekeeper lore, the massive amounts of humanity they absorb deform their bodies. Perhaps she was temporarily ill due to the poison, but became sicker the more humanity Quelaag bought to her. Quelaag may have been inadvertently killing her sister's eggs by hunting so much humanity. The Fair Lady herself says that her eggs have stopped moving, yet the implication is that the eggs were moving while she was sick, but started to stop. Perhaps that is why there is a record of how much humanity has been given to her. Especially since the text dump didn't show any dialogue in which she fully recovers. It could also be the case that the nature of her Firekeeper deformity is that her eggs will always be weaker, but the more humanity she absorbs to gain more strength personally, the more of them will die. The poison may not have been the key cause of her wasting illness at all. Just speculation.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Maybe Priscilla's is the furtive Pygmy and in addition to all the other introductory stuff (bolts, miasma,) we also need her knife. At any rate, I think I will have to place the lord vessel.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Rynn wrote:I'm already down there... I was going to visit him when I impulsively lit the bonfire at the top of the tree... and as I mentioned, it just sputtered back out, and I got a "The bonfire is unstable" message in bold letters, instead of "You lit the bonfire" or whatever the message usually says.

Dude? This is huge... Why is there not a bigger reaction to this? "The bonfire is unstable?"

I dont think anyone's even heard of that before.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Eolan wrote:
    Rynn wrote:I'm already down there... I was going to visit him when I impulsively lit the bonfire at the top of the tree... and as I mentioned, it just sputtered back out, and I got a "The bonfire is unstable" message in bold letters, instead of "You lit the bonfire" or whatever the message usually says.

Dude? This is huge... Why is there not a bigger reaction to this? "The bonfire is unstable?"

I dont think anyone's even heard of that before.

I know. Very awesome! It gives significance to this. Think about it! We are most def onto something! I would confirm this by trying to light it, but I don't want to risk all the work I have put in here. Again, EVErYTHInG about this game tells us to extinguish the fires!
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 pm

fireLESS wrote:Maybe Priscilla's is the furtive Pygmy and in addition to all the other introductory stuff (bolts, miasma,) we also need her knife. At any rate, I think I will have to place the lord vessel.

I suggested using Priscilla's Dagger in another thread. Maybe the bleed damage will counteract the Eternal Dragon's regeneration?

Or maybe he can't and doesn't have to be killed. Are there any other weapons said to be potent against dragons?
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah man me and my friend were talking about it all last night. hes new to dark souls but he digs the open ended story aspects heavily, and were fully supportin ya man ;)n Again if u need help on 360 i got builds for ya.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:02 am