Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
bendtosquares
JohnnyHarpoon
Slarg232
About8547Souls
BishopHavel
ublug
Knight Alundil
skarekrow13
Shkar
Derpwraith
DoughGuy
User
Tolvo
Buggy Virus
Eolan
Juutas
Carphil
cloudyeki
FattyOfDoom
seathtoldmeto8
24 posters

Artorias Lives!

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Artorias Lives! - Page 2 Empty Re: Artorias Lives!

Post by DoughGuy Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 am

Shkar that grave is likely a grave representing his ideological death, rather than his actual death.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 am

Eolan wrote:He has a gimp arm doesnt he? Is that the same hand (right or left) as the creepy eyeballed one that takes you somewhere in the dlc?
    His left arm, same as Sif's limp leg..

There's also a grave in the trailer, is it supposed to be the same place as his grave in the current game, but before the walls caved in?

And about the cursed sword. The other cursed swords we encounter are held by ghosts, which is probably how they got their cursed properties. So was Artorias turned into a ghost as well? What exactly are the ghosts, are they remnants of people falling to dark, or what's the general idea?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 am

What is interesting is the relation to the abyss. As mentioned a while ago in the Darkroot thread, and the New Londo thread. The ghosts come from bodies resting after being slaughtered, with waters either in close proximity or direct contact with the Abyss. So, possibly it is the abyss that causes it, though Dark Wraith don't seem to be cursed to my knowledge. I wonder if he entered it before or after the work of the sealers, I'd have to assume before. Meaning getting cursed wouldn't help him. The DW are around in his time, as he hunted them. As well how could he enter the abyss with New Londo flooded. Meaning to enter New Londo, he shouldn't have needed a cursed greatsword. It strikes me more that his time in the abyss somehow cursed his weapon, and possibly Artorias himself.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 pm

I likened the cursed weapons to threads before and still think that fits the best. I think there's a few ways they can become threads but first the theory again. I like cloth analogies by the way:
    The ghost world and the human/undead world can touch but not interfere/interact with one another in any meaningful way besides visually. So two sheets lying together. They can see each other but that's it. The cursed weapons are threads that tie them together in a meaningful way. They "pull" both cloths and can weave in an out of either as they please. But, here's a main feature, BOTH cloths can affect the thread too. So the weapons are "real" in both worlds and affect ghost and human in the same manner. Nothing else does this without a curse to bridge.

So a curse is basically making you "real" in two places at the same time. For the ghost weapons the likely answer is the common ghost answer. Their anger at the human world allows a bridge. Only an insane amount of rage can do this. Such as having your city drowned. For Artorias' sword the bridge likely came about by construct (see linking lore for my Muramasa connection to it and more importantly explanation on a blacksmith imbuing weapons with their spirit). In that way the person who gave him the sword is able to bridge both worlds or placed a curse to allow it to do so. Since there's no direct evidence Artorias can punch a ghost (yet anyway) there's no reason to suspect that he is the one that is the bridge that cursed the sword although that is possible. However, since the divine sword was given to Sif rather than being corrupted (there are design differences so they're most likely not the same sword before and after by the way) the easiest answer is that the sword was made from the ground up to be cursed.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am

seathtoldmeto8 wrote:A grave doesn't necessarily mean death...hell according to video games and anime and books and movies and all that jazz an actual on screen death itself sometimes doesn't even mean a death.

But this isn't bad anime, it's dark souls.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Dark Souls would definitely be different with a half chaos demon character named Guy Kazama with his love interest, that turns into a giant talking white cat when exposed to moonlight.

He strikes me as being dead at the time of the game, before the DLC. But something interesting is always how time works in game, possibly where Ingward exists he lives, but to us he is dead. I can't really say, it's very confusing sometimes.
    BishopHavel
    BishopHavel
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BishopHavel Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:23 pm

So Artorias is still lives, but he is a boss in the DLC. I'm interested to see how this will work out.
    About8547Souls
    About8547Souls
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by About8547Souls Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 pm

You're right Tolvo, in that the effect of time in this game makes things very confusing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Artorias is alive in the timeframe that Ingward is in.

As for the swords, I like the idea that they are actually two different blades. Considering the obvious differences in their make, and the fact that Sif has the original version of the weapon. (Someone said once that the sword disappears after you kill Sif. As in that it warps somewhere else. I killed him more times than I can count by now, and I've seen it fall out of his mouth and into the ground like it was when you first saw it only to simply vanish into a white blur. I'm under the impression that since it was registered as part of the boss after you touch it, it simply disappears along with the boss. It doesn't go anywhere special. It's just something the creators did. This is irrelevant, but I figured I would throw it in.)

Ciaran may or may not have loved Artorias, and some may argue that she died peacefully at his grave because of the way the corpse is laid behind it. But that's only assuming that this (corpse x holds y item, thus it must be where person x died in their world.) theory is even true. I feel that it's just corpses laid about holding items. For example, when you get invaded and die; your souls stay where you died. Yet when you invade Lautrec and kill him, his corpse appears somewhere totally different. That in itself makes me believe that corpses are simply a medium to give you items. They don't necessarily dictate that a certain person died in that exact spot. (Another thing worth noting is that the Wolf Ring of Artorias is found on a body in the game. If the corpse theory is true, then Artorias is indeed dead in our timeline. That would only cement that fact.)

That isn't to say Ciaran didn't die at the grave of Artorias. But she was one of the Four Knights of Gwyn. She had to be considerably powerful, and as such anyone who could have killed her was likely powerful as well. Yet if the corpse theory is true, then someone laid her down peacefully and took everything except her ring. Her dagger (if she used one), her armor/cloth/whatever, all of that was taken. Otherwise it would have been on her corpse. (Of course Gough's ring is found in a box and not on his body. So it's possible that the knights all betrayed Gwyn at one point aside from Ornstein. Which would explain why he is working with Smough instead of Ciaran or Gough. Back to the point, if he didn't have his ring on him. Then maybe Ciaran and Artorias also took off their rings upon betraying Gwyn. Which means it may not even be Ciaran behind the grave.)

This is just going in circles. I'm done typing xD.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd say the best piece of evidence against that being her corpse, is the fact that it is a human corpse. The knights of Gwyn seem to be like what the Silver Knights are, or the gods themselves. They don't seem to be human, at all. Artorias wields a giant sword if what Sif wields is his true one, Ornstein is pretty massive, Gough's signature bow is not designed for human use, but perhaps she was the odd one of the bunch. I wouldn't say its evidence, but it makes it more unlikely that the body there is her's. In my opinion.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:00 pm

If I may leave the idea here, Ingward DOES think Artorias is still alive by telling you to "Find Artorias, he can show you how to enter the Abyss".

But the problem with that is, if Artorias is known as a bad man by betraying Gwyn, why is someone in service of Gwyn telling you to go meet him?
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 am

Slarg232 wrote:If I may leave the idea here, Ingward DOES think Artorias is still alive by telling you to "Find Artorias, he can show you how to enter the Abyss".

But the problem with that is, if Artorias is known as a bad man by betraying Gwyn, why is someone in service of Gwyn telling you to go meet him?

This is why I always say Artorias' betrayal (and maybe death) were covered up - people seem to know he traversed the Abyss, but not that he eventually made a covenant with the creatures there.
    bendtosquares

Post by bendtosquares Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi all, been reading a lot of the stuff on these forums over the past few months but just thought I would now throw my two cents in, not too sure if you guys will agree but it is worth thinking about perhaps.

I personally think Artorias was supposed to be alive in the game however due to whatever time constraints FROM had, these parts of the game were inevitably removed or not completed (evidence for this is found in numerous character stories not being accessible in the game). The painted world in general feels incomplete, almost as if it were the place they dumped a lot of things which didn't end up fitting with the final release they had, evidence of the Covenant of Velka lead me to believe that originally FROM would of had bigger plans for the Covenant of Artorias and the Abyss, as currently neither have any real purpose, besides Kaathe. Again New Londo almost seems too small and perhaps there was more to this part in their original plans. Perhaps with this FROM had to re engineer the fight with Sif whereby players couldn't let him live (maybe originally you could which would then unlock the path to the upcoming DLC). And the grave was lets say a last minute inclusion whereby it could partially explain his absence from he game, which could also explain missed typos in the Wolf ring which lead us to believe he is alive.

All my own speculation, and I probably missed a few bits out but let me know what you think!
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:55 am

Anyone ever think that Artorias just is Sif? Would really explain why a wolf chooses to use a sword...
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:02 am

The fact the cat ring states that Alvina, Sif and Artorias were good friends.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 am

seathtoldmeto8 wrote:I personally look forward to using Artorias' armor because it looks so battle worn, especially the remnants of the blue cape around his shoulders.

Anybody else pissed that they took the plume off of Ornstein's armor?

Tis not a plume good sir. It's his hair.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 am

Johnny, also descriptions point out that Sif inherited the divine sword. Also also, the actual design of the divine vs. cursed sword is different which suggests a lot of things regarding warrior/weapon connections (especially in Japanese weapon philosophy) that makes it unlikely that, assuming Artorias left his weapon behind for a later version of himself (and Sif is likely female), that it would be the divine version.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum bendtosquares. There's a chance of that being true but the new content was supposedly not the cut content that was snipped due to time constraints. I still say it's possible because an Artorias in the past is technically different than an Artorias in the "present."
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

The sword you use, Artorias' sword, was created recently and would not have battle scars. It's a replica, not the real thing. The power you get from it is from the soul you use to create it with, but it's just a replica.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Our sword is a replica for sure. There's no reason to think Sif's is though unless Sif killed Artorias. Which is possible
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

So what's the general consensus? Is Artorias alive or dead in the current time?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Dead. I mean Im pretty sure you kill him in the DLC, dont know what FROM will do if you win the fight though, they may pull off a nice trick.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Dead
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 am

Well, looks like me using that as proof of Fate in Dark Souls may still hold up until we know for sure.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 am

I think "They covered up his death" is just a little too far-fetched for Dark Souls.

Artorias' grave is exactly where you fight Arty in the DLC; that big arena. You kill him.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:23 am

...but when he starts limping, you can let him live.
    mattm28

Post by mattm28 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Lancelot wrote:I think "They covered up his death" is just a little too far-fetched for Dark Souls.

Artorias' grave is exactly where you fight Arty in the DLC; that big arena. You kill him.

In the videos when the player leaves the sanctuary guardian arena he crosses a bridge and at the other side is a cliff ledge that really reminds me of the bridge and arena where you fight Sif

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:48 pm