Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Tolvo
dancash1808
Forum Pirate
Pesth
skarekrow13
cloudyeki
ICEFANG
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
johnnyjwa
mofomey
RANT
TehInfamousAmos
bloodpixel
Ghadis_God
raecor14
DoughGuy
Rynn
21 posters

I find spears to be boring honestly.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

I find spears to be boring honestly. Empty I find spears to be boring honestly.

Post by Rynn Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 am

In my opinion, the only way to beat a spear is to use a spear... and this is quite boring.
    I'm just dropping that opinion off. They are really simplistic weapons, but being able to block while attacking when you're that far away is just annoying <3
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

I find spears to be boring honestly. Empty Re: I find spears to be boring honestly.

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 am

2 hand a DSS ad do an ornstein cosplay. Much more fun. And by 2 hand limit yourself to 16 str so you have to re 2 hand your wep before you can attack after casting or parrying depending on your offhand gear.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

I find spears to be boring honestly. Empty Re: I find spears to be boring honestly.

Post by raecor14 Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:57 am

there are other ways to beat turtles but ill save that for another thread silly and spears are just to slow for me, not a whole lot of skill involved. unless you 2 hand hahaha
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 am

I think they're boring to use against someone mediocre or bad at the game, but when I use a spear against someone skillful I have a lot of great fights. They're best for pressure, as it takes a lot of hits to actually take your opponent down. No one likes getting hit while not being able to retaliate, the best part about using a spear is knowing when your opponent is annoyed enough to be open when you swap weapons.

The only way to use a spear is 2H! It gives the opponent an illusion of vulnerability which is key.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:54 am

Ghadis_God wrote:I think they're boring to use against someone mediocre or bad at the game, but when I use a spear against someone skillful I have a lot of great fights. They're best for pressure, as it takes a lot of hits to actually take your opponent down. No one likes getting hit while not being able to retaliate, the best part about using a spear is knowing when your opponent is annoyed enough to be open when you swap weapons.

The only way to use a spear is 2H! It gives the opponent an illusion of vulnerability which is key.
    No... they are just boring.
    Vs a skilled player, vs a noob, fighting against a spear, etc etc. I'm just bored out of my mind whenever I see the things.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 am

Personally, I'm tired of large weapons. I want to fence with another rapier user.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 am

Pixel, I fence... IRL and in game silly
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 am

I should learn fencing. I wonder if I'll poke my eye out trying.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:12 am

haha, that would be an extremely hard thing to do - you would be more liable to do it with a Katana
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 am

theyre probably the most boring weapons in the game, all you do is poke poke poke and with the lag dark souls has they so annoying. partizan is the only one that's a litttle fun to use.
    mofomey
    mofomey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by mofomey Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 am

im with you rynn! id rather die than use one. when on the holding end of one i win but soo boring. when on the pointy end, i die....
    johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by johnnyjwa Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:51 am

I agree. Spears are very annoying. I kept dueling the same guy over and over in the kiln. I always got him very low on hp, enough to trigger his red tearstone ring. Once the ring was active he just whipped out a spear and almost always beat me after that. SUPER ANNOYING!

My dragon is the only build I have that uses a spear. Mainly because I have very low def and 0 poise. I keep them at a distance with roar and spear and use leo+roar to boost counter damage. Its just meh though I dont like being a dragon to much.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 am

Yup, I agree as well. They are boring, very limited weapons, they can be used very effectively, however.

Though I imagine that that would have likely been the spear's characteristic in real life. Nowhere near as versatile as a sword, with a very limited moveset, but very useful owing to its range/turtling capabilities.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 pm

I find them boring as well, but I also dislike them. Their AR's (as I suppose it should be) aren't impressive. Actually I think they suck. The Partizan is also the only one I would consider using.

I tried the Sliver Knight Spear (I think its cool that it does divine damage, however it works for sure), and the Pike. Since the Pike requires so much STR, I assume it's attack rating would be high enough to offset not making it a Chaos weapon, and while I do notice that its damage mostly comes from DEX (which is silly for a 24STR weapon), its physical damage was actually lower or about the same than the Chaos weapon, which then also had fire damage too. Both are kinda cool, but the Pike doesn't do anything special really, its not even the longest, and its running attack sucks (even though it does look cool).

The Sliver Knight Spear has a terrible AR for not being enchantable, at base stats its just ~333. I prefer level 80 builds, so there's not much to using it. It does have the longest range of spears (or one of the greatest), and has a cool R2 attack, but its just not worth it.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 pm

This basically sums up this threads thoughts.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I've always prefered pole weapons (I will never 100% understand the obsession with swords) and I think 2h-ing spears is the only way to really fight with them!
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Obsession with swords is a cultural thing going back to the Middle Ages. Swords were expensive and only knights (nobility) could use them. A polearm was a soldier's or peasant's weapon. Therefore the sword came to be the symbol of chivalry, bravery, heroic deeds, etc.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:20 pm

And yet I'm always sure it's about compensation of something coughcough.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I love fighting spear wielders. Only ones I can parry well against. Most of them seem so surprised by it too

Eki, wouldn't a "pole" arm be compensating more? Or are you talking about compensating for lack of a good steak knife?
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:30 pm

One of the advantages I have when using a spear is that it's hard to parry, a lot of parry spammers seem surprised that they can't parry the end of the spear.

And yeah, carrying a weapon with a six foot wooden shaft doesn't exactly spell "secure in my manhood"
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

i use a winged spear with a parying dagger for pvp, i love how it looks with my build, and i do with a 18 poise gear so... i cant turtle :suspect:
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I use them occasionally, but it usually ends in me having taken no damage whilst my opponent bleeds on the ground, even if that player has a history of beating me should I use any other weapon. They're the Akuma of dks, far outclassing any other weapon to such a degree that there's little point in using anything else a great deal of the time. With this in mind, I generally have one on me, but only use it if my opponent does. Otherwise I fight with the weapon I made the build to use.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:56 pm

More like compensating for the lack of awesome. Honestly I'm just tired of swords (katanas in particular) in media. God damn it I hate the cliche of the protagonist and antagonist/rival all using swords. Especially when GUNS exsist!
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:59 pm

heh while off topic it always amused me having my main character slash with a sword to have another guy pull out a gun and do peanuts worth of damage...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Spears are just like any weapon, hell it's just like fighting a long rapier really. Parry them, a simple yet efficient way to beat most spear users. A simple efficient way to defeat most players essentially. Too bad I suck at this game now. sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:51 am