Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
FruitPunchNinja
Eolan
quench
The-Fiction
WyrmHero
swordiris
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
12 posters

Wow, rapiers are kind of... scary.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Wow, rapiers are kind of... scary. Empty Wow, rapiers are kind of... scary.

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:34 am

Yeah... I still had gankers in the forest, but I was essentially untouchable. Pretty much a rapier (Velka's for me) has too many pro's and too little cons. I've done better with this weapon today then I've ever done in PvP... and I'm on a 0 poise char too! The poise safety net was unnecessary for the rapier.

So where to begin? First off, it is a turtling weapon, which is helpful, however I found alternating inbetween turtling and just swing created a lot of openings from opponents. So I'd take a poke at them without blocking (which has better range too) once, jump away, and the next time they got close, I'd pull up my shield during my next poke, making their swing miss.

It does around 120-180 damage per hit, ironically, the less damage I did, the better, as I could stun the ones I did 120 damage to, since light armor has better magical defense. My biggest asset however when using a rapier is the running attack. This thing is beastly. Two attacks, doing 110% and 120% light attack damage... without loosing any momentum throughout the entire attack? I used this attack to chase a ton of flaskers, gankers-with-dead-phantom's, and just general dodgers, and it's hilariously effective, often pegging them with either the starting or ending blow, even with the ninja ring on. I even could keep pressure on Divine Blessing spammers, because the attack was fast enough to kill them before they get a blessing off.

Combined with how a rapier has a naturally higher backstab damage, I don't see why these beasts of weapons are not more used.

PS: And the Shotel is a pitiful weapon, as soon as someone pulls it out, I just press R2 and instantly get a parry, because of how predictable it's attack is.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Wow, rapiers are kind of... scary. Empty Re: Wow, rapiers are kind of... scary.

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:51 am

I love them. Velka's, in particular, is my baby.

One that I've never liked but after trying it out some found it to be rather underrated is the Mail Breaker. Range leaves a little to be desired, but it's certainly no pushover.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 am

I've used the mail breaker recently. It's just a dagger with a rapiers moveset. Same damage rate, backstab damage, etc etc.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 am

It isn't used because It is the Carl Clover of Dark Souls. Very high learning curve weapon. People respect rapier users.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 am

I guess one con would be that they don't kick, but since I'm **** at kicking anyway that doesn't really affect me.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 am

I'm an avid rapier user. Yes Rynn, rapiers are amazing, especially when buffed. I find they are very easy to play. I also have noticed something weird with Velka's rapier. The roll attack seems to always connect regarless of your toon's position. Like if your opponent has some kind of magnet.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:32 am

WyrmHero wrote:I'm an avid rapier user. Yes Rynn, rapiers are amazing, especially when buffed. I find they are very easy to play. I also have noticed something weird with Velka's rapier. The roll attack seems to always connect regarless of your toon's position. Like if your opponent has some kind of magnet.
    Velka's rapier has tighter turning, you can see it on all it's swings.
    The-Fiction
    The-Fiction

Post by The-Fiction Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am

Interesting. Never used the rapiers before, may use one for my next build.
    quench
    quench
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by quench Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 am

have just switched to using 2 lightning ricards rapiers +5 hope i have the same success as you looks very promising lol
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:54 am

Ive got a fire rapier and ive used it once or twice but i felt it was a little short on range, are you running forward constantly? To be fair im having a **** time because i use the parrying dagger and now people back peddle the second they see it...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Eolan wrote:Ive got a fire rapier and ive used it once or twice but i felt it was a little short on range, are you running forward constantly? To be fair im having a **** time because i use the parrying dagger and now people back peddle the second they see it...
    Well I use Velka's Rapier, it has a longer range, making it difficult to just backpedal. I have 0 poise, so I'm not often doing running attacks unless they are running from me.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Im 0 poise too, i thought there was more benefit to being quick but it turns out smough half dressed as havel the rock is just as fast with his magic ring of game breaking sillyness.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 pm

By the way, the rapier is the perfect mage's weapon. Little stamina consumption, no need of high poise for its attacks and low weight makes it perfect for low endurance builds.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Not used? There really must be a big difference in player tactics/builds from 360 and ps3. Rapiers are one of the most used weapons next to the MLGS and Katanas, on ps3. At least in my experience. They are great, a rapier greatsword combo is one of the best. I'm always surprised when people say they are only good for backstabs/crit dmg. Being able to attack from behind your shield and the fast running attacks make them very reliable. In my opinion, there really isn't a better weapon you could carry that weighs 1.5lbs.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm using Velka's now in the forest to train myself to be better at dodging and using my opponents openings, as well as parrying. It's kind of tough to win in a straight 1v1, I've found. It really doesn't do enough damage to chip down someone with around 2,000 HP.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:I'm using Velka's now in the forest to train myself to be better at dodging and using my opponents openings, as well as parrying. It's kind of tough to win in a straight 1v1, I've found. It really doesn't do enough damage to chip down someone with around 2,000 HP.
    Then You're using it wrong, it chips them down well enough, 150 or so damage at a time on average.
    Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Rynn wrote:
    Ghadis_God wrote:I'm using Velka's now in the forest to train myself to be better at dodging and using my opponents openings, as well as parrying. It's kind of tough to win in a straight 1v1, I've found. It really doesn't do enough damage to chip down someone with around 2,000 HP.
    Then You're using it wrong, it chips them down well enough, 150 or so damage at a time on average.

Still a buff'd rapier will chip down around 500+ at a time lol.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Rynn I've been saying this for ages! I always recommended rapiers for light-armored builds because of their ability to hit and not be hit. It's a lag thing, though, which some might consider cheap. They attack so quickly that your opponent doesn't have time to dodge on his end, and you can roll away so quickly after attacking that he doesn't have time to hit you either. The only problem I ever had with rapiers, actually, is that they get pretty boring to play with. It takes so many hits to kill someone, and your tactic won't change much in the process of whittling them down, and from one fight to the next, so it gets really repetitive.

Same for spears, by the way. They're essentially rapiers with more range (minus the double-hit running attack).
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Gaxe wrote:
    Rynn wrote:

Still a buff'd rapier will chip down around 500+ at a time lol.
    So will a broken sword hilt... what's your point?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Really?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. You're so lithe and quick on your feet with a rapier, my opponents just find it difficult to hit me.

I only get hit when I try to rush it or I get greedy, both are my fault.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:24 am

I've never used a rapier in PvP before, so I probably am using it wrong. Practice makes perfect after all, I do see the potential and want to get better with it. Velka's also does some quite impressive chip damage on a Grass Crest Shield, very good for pressure.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:43 am

yeah rynn you should try ps3. the users over here play completely different than on xbox. i was getting smashed a lot during the beginning while i adjusted my playstyle but i'm kicking *** and taking names now.

lots of katanas, rapiers, and mlgs's. a lot of bss's and murakumo's too. they play more technically too, go for backstabs and punish differently.

on xbox people either just royally suck or focus more on blasting each other and dodging. way less backstabs and kicks.

you'd have a blast with your rapier on this console.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 am