Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question

Pennder
    Pennder
    Casual
    Casual

Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question Empty Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question

Post by Pennder Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 am

Hi! I've got the bug to make a build centered around the Dragonslayer Spear, for jolly co-op and light PvP ending around SL 120. Because I'm just slightly OCD, I read up as much as I could on Dragonslayer builds, Ornstein builds, and the like. I've digested all the numbers, differing opinions on what is right and wrong regarding this weapon, and I feel like I understand it. Still, my mind is snagging on one aspect, and I was hoping to get some feedback from the sharper knives in this drawer. ((Please note, too, all my meagre calculations were done with ( http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ ) and if that is inaccurate, or out of date, then nevermind! ))

The general consensus is that this build ought to have the following stats, in order to get the most damage out of the DSS while still being reasonably rounded.
    40/12/40/27/40/-/-/24
    Scaling, btw, is C/B/-/B.
    I understand the reasoning for 40 dex, and 24 faith gives you Greater Heal and Greater Magic Barrier. I am not sure I understand the 27 str, as opposed to the base needed 24 str, but that isn't my nagging question.

I've read, right here on these forums, that split damage AR is not as good as pure AR, all things being even. I've read that higher individual AR gives increasing returns on damage.

DSS is split damage, but not evenly split. At the base stats needed to wield it 1 handed, damage is 253/101, combined 354. Physical/Lightning. From this point, adding Str or Dex increases the physical damage, adding Fth increases lightning.

Here is my problem. Would I get more damage on target, after defenses, if I sought to increase the physical damage as high as I can, and ignore the smaller starting lightning, or am I better off adding emphasis to lightning, to brig it up in the damage ratio? If a larger single number is better, then it seems I would want the physical side of the damage as large as possible, rather than spread it more evenly towards the smaller AR lightning. Most suggested builds on forums don't seem to jive with this. I ran some numbers, and I realize these are not necessarily optimum builds, but they suffice for the question I have.

40/40/-/11 335phys/105lght 440 AR
    34/40/-/17 323phys/125lght 448 AR (34str for Artorias Shield, which I have a crush on)
    27/40/-/24 310phys/144lght 454 AR
    24/40/-/27 304phys/151lght 455 AR (minimum str for 1 handed)

If I'm to judge purely by AR, they are close, but the winner is clear-ish. My question goes back the the idea that one bigger number is better than two smaller, but combined bigger, numbers.

Is it better for damage to have 335/105 or 304/151? My mind snags on the idea that I should maximize the larger number, and ignore the smaller one, since even if I increased it, it is still smaller, and will therefore suffer decreased returns on damage. Will the extra 31 points of phys give me more real damage than 46 points of lightning, since the phys number is overall much bigger already?

Then again, does it even matter? Would the difference in damage between these four options be so small as to not even matter? If it is all basically the same, then I can feel free to go with whichever I like, depending on what I value at the time.

Thank you for reading this far, I hope I didn't come off as dumb as I actually am. I appreciate any and all feedback on this, I just can't drop it until I know what is what. Again, thanks.

Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question Empty Re: Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 am

I think it's so small as to not even matter. I'd go with the 34 Str, Artorias shield is great and the difference in damage is insignificant. Besides, you can use nearly every weapon in the game at 34/40 in case you want to mix it up.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question Empty Re: Interesting (to me) Dragonslayer Spear question

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 am

Its hard to tell, as lightning damage scales less, but armours have lower lightning defence in general. Mine uses 24 str 40 dex 40 fth and gets pretty good damage.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 pm

To add to the PM:

I'd go for 27 Str, 34 Dex, and 30 Fth.

The reasoning behind 27 Str is that, when you 2-hand a weapon, your character's Str stat is multiplied by 1.5. This not only allows you to wield weapons you wouldn't normally be able to wield, but in the case of weapons with Str scaling, it also applies the amount of scaling you'd get at your Str x 1.5. So with 27 Str, when you 2-hand your weapon, you get the scaling that you would if you had 40 Str.

30 Fth is so you can use WoG and Sunlight Blade (in case you decide to wield other weapons--27 Str and 34 Dex will give you good scaling, and Sunlight Blade is very strong).

34 Dex is the remaining amount of points left after Str and Fth were allocated, based on the amount of points you were allocating in your example.

This way, 1-handed, you get 448 AR, and 2-handed you get 472 (according to mugenmonkey), and you have some very powerful spells to take advantage of also.
    Pennder
    Pennder
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Pennder Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I appreciate the feedback, guys! I'm going to build up along the lines of Bla1ne's suggestion. The damage for all options really does seem to be in the same ballpark, the extra faith will add to versatility, the strength will help make 2 handing more effective (2 handed as much as possible is a goal for this build, I may not have mentioned), and the lower dex isn't a deal breaker I realize, since I only had it at 40 because I assumed I had to.

Again, thanks for the input, I really really appreciate it.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:28 am

No sense worrying about the damage of the DSS so much, its a low damage weapon and will always be so. It's strength is in its ability to hit from seemingly miles away and its speed. You can land 6 pokes while your opponent struggles to hit you once, so don't worry about AR. Worry more about being proficient in its use, having enough End for lots of hoping around, and the stats required for any miracles and such you want.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:37 pm