Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Shkar
Buggy Virus
Eolan
retro
Shabbalaba
alchemydesign
Tolvo
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
skarekrow13
kingkush420
14 posters

only readable book in archives libary

kingkush420

only readable book in archives libary - Page 2 Empty Re: only readable book in archives libary

Post by kingkush420 Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:53 pm

good thought but how would we find out how to undo it also just a thought but maby its jumbled or out of order can it be put in another order.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

only readable book in archives libary - Page 2 Empty Re: only readable book in archives libary

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, the best plan though would be to try to figure out the existing chracters for sure. The first challenge as I see it is to determined if it's right side up or upside down. For instance are they "Ls" or "7s?" Interesting point though regarding book alterations and maybe an error leading to something being upside down. Many of the books look like they have small stickers or markings at the bottom of the spine with indistinct characters. I used to work in a library and know what that SHOULD mean. Seath uses the Dewey Decimal system. Joking aside, it does appear that some books were marked to organize them.

EDIT: I should probably get some work done since I'm, you know, at work......I expect this to be solved by the time I come back
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Good job getting screenshots!

The thing with the first word is that the third-to-last letter doesn't look the same as the letter T's in ANTIQUITY. The top of the letter doesn't branch out nearly far enough. The top of the letter looks much more similar to the letter "I" (capital i) in ANTIQUITY.

So it does look a bit more like PLAYFAILS to me.

I don't know if throwing something in like "PLAYFAIL" would be a logical joke from a Japanese-speaking perspective, but I could almost imagine someone thinking "you're playing the game wrong if you take the time to try and read these book titles. PLAYFAIL". lol

edit: Not so sure, what I think is capital "L" looks like it has slight horizontal lines on the top of it.
    Eh. PLAYFAILS SMI7ISM FAMILY ANTIQUITY! bounce
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Hmm the motif of 9 strikes again...
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:29 pm

This is a really cool find.
    kingkush420

Post by kingkush420 Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:27 pm

lol then i hope u have the answer when u come back skarekrow... o and my sister seems to think they look like greek letters dont know if that helps any sense its all greek to me anyways.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Wikipedia here I come!

Edit: nope
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:55 am

I'll be uploading HD pictures soon.

Playfail's S____SY Family Antiquity."

Looks like Skillsy to me.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 am

That's as good a guess as I have. Can't wait to see the pics. Cell phones taking TV pics doesn't always work well. Although I was reading just as intently on a 65 inch hd screen and didn't get any further....
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 am

Well, it looks like I am in the minority with my opinion, but even Skare's pictures look to me like "Playfair's British Family Antiquity Vol IX", which a quick google search led me to the wikipedia article for William Playfair and has mention of his "British Family Antiquity: Index to Volume 9" in the Works section.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:24 am

skarekrow13 wrote:That's as good a guess as I have. Can't wait to see the pics. Cell phones taking TV pics doesn't always work well. Although I was reading just as intently on a 65 inch hd screen and didn't get any further....

My TV has very good resolution and with binoculars, it's still very hard to decipher. I'm excited to see the pics too!
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 am

Shkar wrote:Well, it looks like I am in the minority with my opinion, but even Skare's pictures look to me like "Playfair's British Family Antiquity Vol IX", which a quick google search led me to the wikipedia article for William Playfair and has mention of his "British Family Antiquity: Index to Volume 9" in the Works section.

I'm still leaning towards it saying that but I'll agree with pretty much everyone here who commented, it's very hard to tell exactly what those letters are.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:31 am

RNsunbro wrote:
    Shkar wrote:Well, it looks like I am in the minority with my opinion, but even Skare's pictures look to me like "Playfair's British Family Antiquity Vol IX", which a quick google search led me to the wikipedia article for William Playfair and has mention of his "British Family Antiquity: Index to Volume 9" in the Works section.

I'm still leaning towards it saying that but I'll agree with pretty much everyone here who commented, it's very hard to tell exactly what those letters are.

It is DEFINITELY very hard to tell for certain. I can easily see how people would disagree as to what it says, just like they disagree about who the God of War is (It's Nito). That said, I PERSONALLY think that the very close similarity to an actual book (semi-related to the game even (in a way)) is too weird to be coincidence.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 am

Shkar wrote:
    RNsunbro wrote:

It is DEFINITELY very hard to tell for certain. I can easily see how people would disagree as to what it says, just like they disagree about who the God of War is (It's Nito). That said, I PERSONALLY think that the very close similarity to an actual book (semi-related to the game even (in a way)) is too weird to be coincidence.

That was a good find you made. +1
    Edit: I don't know how to rep someone, but when I find out how, I will.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 am

But very close to a book that is incredibly vague? I just don't see anything in it until we see a real similarity. Otherwise, I've proven who the God of War is with such finds in ancient religions. I've also proven Kaathe is Islamic, and that Gwyn is probably Allah.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 am

Clearly Playfail's, as well the word is clearly not British or even remotely like British.

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/015-1.jpg
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 am

Spoiler:

Last edited by Tolvo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:46 am

Tolvo wrote:Clearly Playfail's, as well the word is clearly not British or even remotely like British.

https://2img.net/h/i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/TolvoArt/Dark%20Souls%20Lore/015-1.jpg

That one is quite a bit easier to read and I will concede your point now. Even so, the similar book name still seems like a similarity to me, even if just because the author's names differ by a single letter and the volume is the same as the last volume in the set.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 am

The humorous thing is in that picture, you can't even make out the word family.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 am

You sort of can on the second one down.

But yes, you're right, that does say "Playfail" and I can't make out "family" on that first picture either.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:50 am

Tolvo wrote:The humorous thing is in that picture, you can't even make out the word family.

True, but the author part was what I had been getting at. It does seem much more like an L at the end in that one.

Also, you may want to consider spoiler'ing the post with the massive pictures. I doubt anyone will care, but people on old computers might hate you for it as it is happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:51 am

Yeah in that one you can, I mean the one where I got a clearer image of Playfail's. Though, who the hell is playfail? That has to be a pen name, or some weird translation. What kind of name is that for anything?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:51 am

Yeah they were supposed to be links actually, but something got screwed up in the clicking.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 am

From's hope for how your playthrough will go, a "playfail". Ba dum tssssshhhh.

Edit: For some reason, I thought it said playfail, but clearly people were saying playfall, and now I feel stupid.

Last edited by RNsunbro on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:00 am

Tolvo wrote:Yeah in that one you can, I mean the one where I got a clearer image of Playfail's. Though, who the hell is playfail? That has to be a pen name, or some weird translation. What kind of name is that for anything?

That's exactly my point. The fact that a guy named Playfai"R" made a book with a similar name just strikes me as way too similar to pass up, since the name "Playfail" is strange enough as it is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:59 pm