Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+40
swordiris
lordgodofhell
Phantasmio
skarekrow13
Rockstar2112
Nybbles
Wierdoom
Reaperfan
Raikan007
RNsunbro
Rin
>Brave<
Maneater_Mildred
Rudmed
Frostacar
ARSP
Juutas
bloodpixel
Onion Knight
Slarg232
reim0027
BIG TIME MASTER
BackwardsBaboon
Carphil
Azran
SlakeMoth
Yarxov
ViralEnsign_
ICEFANG
callipygias
ChizFreak
Bloodios
ROOSTER330
Tolvo
Eudaemonium
fujiphoenix
Lancelot
RANT
Shakie666
Jester's Tears
44 posters

What's the WORST part of Dark Souls?

Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What's the WORST part of Dark Souls? Empty What's the WORST part of Dark Souls?

Post by Jester's Tears Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 pm

In MY opinion, it's The Four Kings boss and EVERYTHING between Nito and Firelink graveyard...Damn Kings...
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What's the WORST part of Dark Souls? Empty Re: What's the WORST part of Dark Souls?

Post by Shakie666 Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Hmm... I'd say first is the bit in Anor Londo where you have to run up the walkway with the 2 archers shooting you, second is the Bed of Chaos (not because it kills me much, but because its not even a proper boss), third is the great hollow.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

What's the WORST part of Dark Souls? Empty Re: What's the WORST part of Dark Souls?

Post by RANT Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Lag.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Poor online lag **** lag
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:38 pm

RantFromRant wrote:Lag.

That reminds me, fourth is all the lagstabbing trolls that make up 99% of the Dark Souls pvp community.
    fujiphoenix
    fujiphoenix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fujiphoenix Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:39 pm

The swinging axes in Sen's Fortress. I love the area, I just hate those axes with a burning passion.
    Eudaemonium

Post by Eudaemonium Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Honestly, everything after you get the Lordvessel. I just find tracking down and killing the Lords really, really dull after the first playthrough.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Bed of Chaos.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Eudaemonium wrote:Honestly, everything after you get the Lordvessel. I just find tracking down and killing the Lords really, really dull after the first playthrough.

nope nope this is it. +1 to you
    ROOSTER330
    ROOSTER330
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by ROOSTER330 Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:45 pm

The first time you fight the capra demon. Ive since mastered it, but the first few times, especially with no help......coulda broke my controller
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:47 pm

ROOSTER330 wrote:The first time you fight the capra demon. Ive since mastered it, but the first few times, especially with no help......coulda broke my controller
    Those dogs...
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, I think you refer to the most harder part. In that case, I would say, Four Kings in NG+ for the first time.

Now, if we talk about WORST part, in the sense of bad/boring; I would say Lost Izalith. It's a very big place and a very boring area to do. Really. Only thing half-interesting is the Siegmeyer Quest. Well and Solaire.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:54 pm

The slide down to Bed of Chaos. I have to turn away.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Well, those can be removed by players, From can't assume that amount of potential lag, or mom flip tanks would exist.

I find the archer part in Anor to be completely fine, I can beat it 100 naked and with no weapons or dragon. I just roll against the wall when its about to hit me, moving slowly closer, until the right one attack and falls off. I think many players consider it harder because blocking and heavy armor (poise) is important to the game, and this doesn't let you use either of those. I wouldn't call it easy, but then Dark Souls isn't easy.

There are still enough hard parts, even with all my practice. I feel what's worst about Dark Souls, is anything that goes against the mentality of it. I have a bunch of small things, but I'll name off a few.

I dislike that there are skeleton archers in ToG. I feel that a fearful atmosphere would have suited the area much more. Although I don't feel fear, even if I archer them to death and move through the area, the archers remove any chance of fear, and replace it with urgency. I played very little Demon's Souls, but I wish I could have. I do know there was a lot more fear inducing parts too. I was afraid when I entered the Depths for the first time, and there is nothing there to force you forward. That important balance of, "needing to push onward", "not being forced too", "using the sounds and sights to inspire, not only fear, but DREAD, to move anywhere". I forced myself onward and lost my cool. I feel down the curse frogs and within the second of the CROAKKK I knew where I was, and, being 1.03, humanity was less common (I had none). Using my quick thinking I got out and lived. Its a good story, something ToG fails to do so completely. Not to get into extremes either, but if I had designed it, I would have probably avoided so many of the endless falls too.

The overall design of BoC's path (not just the boss, I'll get to that soon, but the entire distance, Ceaseless onward). I personally like how its mixed up, most areas are one boss only. However, even though I don't dislike it, it is very not Dark Souls. Think of other areas. Once you beat the boss, look back and think of the distance you covered from the last boss, in this area, you can just look back... *look skyward!*
    There should have been more demons, but not at all like they are. The Capra Demons get to play a, "I'm the hollow solider roll", which they should have been more ominous, dangerous, and fewer. The Stone Demons are just plain dumb, why not use little imps? Things that claw you all over and make you feel like the demon mass is consuming and destroying everything you are. The worms? What the heck are those doing in Demon Ruins? Did Firesage forget to call the exterminator? The Taurus Demons are alright, but I feel they do a little too much of what I just suggested. They are a little too "unstoppable", you just have to move between the legs and attack them, there's no real skirmish there. Faster attacks, less knockback would be appreciated, but once again, my dislike there isn't too great.

Don't even get me started about Bed of Chaos. I can't say, its against Dark Souls, it was done once in Demon's Souls right? And well too? But I dunno about you, but I hate that falling death. I HATE FALLING TO MY DEATH, and when you win, it doesn't make you feel like, "I just solved a puzzle" or "I just beat a bad mutha" you feel like, "that bug was in the way of my conquest", its further devalued by the many bosses that plague the area, the fact that you don't engage in JOLLY COOPERATION, you just tell the phantom to go one side, you go the other, and 3 falls down, something like that anyway. And you just can Quit and reload to beat it pretty easily. No person should want to do that for a boss, and speed runs shouldn't be going faster than way.

New Londo did a little fail too. I dislike that its just a little town. Who in their right mind would want to take that over? New Londo should have been a huge Anor Londo, but dark, decayed, and Darkwraiths (who aren't dangerous or scary whatsoever) should have been pouring out of the woodwork to kill you. This area really lacks enemy diversity in a bad way, but since New Londo as it is, isn't terrible, just could be much better, I don't greatly have a problem with it.

4 Kings though, they barely take 2nd place for badly designed boss. I remember bearing Oreos and Smores for the first time. IT WAS AMAZING! I literally spend days working to beat them. I needed Ornstein's Souls, and I couldn't get help (no humanity left), I didn't know I could leave Anor Londo and I didn't have the Peculiar Doll. What was one to do? I only had 5 Estus Flasks too. I fought through it. I worked hard and learned how they played. I watched how they move and how they slow down, I learned how to use the pillars and how to get close to Ornstein to avoid him, and how to stay away from Smough. How does 4 Kings compare? They just don't, its a terrible DPS rush. One could argue that Gywn is a dumb boss because you can parry, I say that's what makes him great. Any build with skill can beat him, but not any build can be 4 Kings in NG+7. You have to heavily change what you do to beat them. There is no strategy, no thought, you just attack and take hits. Terrible terrible design! If they had the Dark New Londo, there could have been 1 at a time, each one quite different, and you could beat them in each area of the castle, at the end, the form up to make one. Unique, cool, requires some more thought (hopefully and potentially) than they do now.

The Archives are so well designed. The change in light, darkness, cool and warm, the sounds and styles of the background, the beautiful skies. The enemies, while not terribly versed, are hard enough and make complete sense. The channelers add a great amount of tactics to the fight, and although I wouldn't say Seath was perfect, he was quite a good deal better than the other bosses. Its sad that The Achieves didn't seep into other areas of the game more. There could have been a lot more greatness.

There are tons of faults I can give the game, but overall, the fail comes from the last areas of the game. I do hope there is a little touch up, but I understand completely if there is not. I love this game, but it could be better.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Finding places to Gravelord where you dont get griefed.....
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm

-Dogs (haha youre moveset cant hit me!)
    -gravity and falls
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm

Those sneaky crystal archers in the Archives, they're everybloodywhere.

Actually I like Lost Izalith, although I think I'm the only one who does.
    Azran
    Azran
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Azran Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Crappy online.

Late game Lord areas - with the exception of Seath and the Kiln.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm

The great hollow! The place which killed me more than any other!

Second place: Blight town upper area

Third place: Lost Izalith Siegmeyer and chaos ember part.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Blighttown killed me so many times when I was new to the game.
    BackwardsBaboon
    BackwardsBaboon
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BackwardsBaboon Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:52 pm

The ending...and I don't just mean the ending cutscene. What really bothers me is that the big chief, the head honcho, the man in charge Gwyn doesn't even have an OPENING cutscene! Really?

I remember the first time I helped someone beat him (before I'd ever fought him myself.) After we won the host sent me a message, "Well that was anti-climactic!"

I agree.
    Yarxov
    Yarxov
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Yarxov Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:53 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:Those sneaky crystal archers in the Archives, they're everybloodywhere.

And those little crystal swordsman, irritating as hell.
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Ornstein and Smough's fight is the most climactic, which is sad. The music playing in the cutscene is so disoriented and creepy.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Eudaemonium wrote:Honestly, everything after you get the Lordvessel. I just find tracking down and killing the Lords really, really dull after the first playthrough.

I agree. I have to force myself to go past this point on every playthrough. Everything after is either to dark or just a pain. I HATE the archives. Catacombs are alright, but pretty easy. I usually do them after the bells so I get the rite through all the bosses.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm

PvP wise = Lag
    PvE wise = Bed of Chaos

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 am