Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
bunnywink
philtitan
Yarxov
Cronotis
retro
bloodpixel
DoughGuy
PaPaSmVrf
isthefridge
Slarg232
bmurn
Azran
WyrmHero
passivefamiliar
Pesth
ICEFANG
IV_Mark_VI
21 posters

Meaning of 'toon'

philtitan
    philtitan
    Casual
    Casual

Meaning of 'toon' - Page 2 Empty Re: Meaning of 'toon'

Post by philtitan Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 am

"Poor bastard" could work too, in the context of Dark Souls.

Hilarious. silly lol! Meaning of 'toon' - Page 2 932657698

EDIT

Dead wo/man...big grin

And Dead Man is one DOPE movie. Maybe Jarmusch should make a sequel. Dead Woman.

Last edited by philtitan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Joke I missed)
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:53 am

I've never understood the term either, but I guess it's part of the DkS culture now (as it was with WoW). I still refer to my characters as... well, characters. However, I will catch myself saying "toon" every once in a while. Whoops?

As long as we all understand what we are talking about! Hahaha.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I always use 'character'. 'Toon' has it's charms but it is a bit childish.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Toon is commonly associated with being one of a larger group of individuals. Such as in a platoon. Although people usually are just stupid and use it as the cartoon meaning/banana.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Didn't think of Platoon. So toon is short for meaning "one person in a larger group"? Not short for the platoon itself?

I watched platoon. Didn't see it there. Willem Dafoe was boss though.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:13 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Didn't think of Platoon. So toon is short for meaning "one person in a larger group"? Not short for the platoon itself?

I watched platoon. Didn't see it there. Willem Dafoe was boss though.

I read it written that way in a sci-fi novel called "Enders game". They formed little platoons and would call individuals of the platoon a 'toon'.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Read that same one this year, but I don't remember that passage. There's apparently a movie coming out for it next year. But that's an ancient book; mid 80s I believe. I think I would have seen this term before this.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I use toon when I am chatting with people due to the fact I like to shorten everything I type lol. I could use char but I dont like that abbreviation as much. Also, many cartoons are just as violent as this game,so the name fits my use. Just be cool with it, use your terms, they will use theirs.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Ok, so you like a short word to use. So you use 'toon'. But why do you use toon? I assume you use toon, because you see other people use toon so you copy it. Without knowing what it means, just that they are referring to a character in a game, so you do it too. But you don't know why they use the word toon, or if it even applies right?
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Ok, so you like a short word to use. So you use 'toon'. But why do you use toon? I assume you use toon, because you see other people use toon so you copy it. Without knowing what it means, just that they are referring to a character in a game, so you do it too. But you don't know why they use the word toon, or if it even applies right?

I used toon for my guys before this game was even created lmao. Your assumptions are wrong. I use toon because artists create "toons." I have always viewed my game creations as artistic and in that way seen them as "toons." It "applying" is completely subjective, so that does not really matter. I don't mind what anyone calls their creations because it is just that, their creation.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Sorry for the assumption. So you used the word toon; did you come up with this word? If you did not, did you learn it from somewhere, and if so, where?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm

A cartoon can be known as a character that is exaggerated or is an avatar of its creator. In most RPG's, players create their characters in a way to mirror themselves, or show a side of themselves that either they cannot show in real life or fear showing. I love the concept of physically protecting others yet I am terrified of dying, so becoming a soldier in real life is out of the question for me. Instead I may play a game and make a tanky warrior, to protect others. This character designed as a cartoon form of mine, which I cannot live out in real life. Thus it is a toon form. As well characters in games are often exaggerations. Buff muscle bound super soldiers, busty women who are killers, super smart wizards. As such, they are toons in that regard also.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Sorry for the assumption. So you used the word toon; did you come up with this word? If you did not, did you learn it from somewhere, and if so, where?

I swear to you sir, I learned it from Anime. A lot of the Japanese artists I looked up to as a kid made cartoons, and I rolled with using the shortened version of "toon." Also, I was influenced into using this word from the classical "Loony Tunes" show if you recall that.

You see, in early game creation, our guys looked very cartoony before all the graphics increases. So I stuck with the term post technology bump.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:55 pm