Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+149
Ahhotep1
SlothAlmighty
skarekrow13
Shakie666
Phenetylaminos
HereticForLife
Wilkinson3424
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
diddle
Fayt
GravelordZealot
SATLOS
Mireneye
PhlyingDutchman
jaythibodeau
ChizFreak
Emergence
Sentiel
steveswede
Serafiem
SadPanda
Thuggernaut
StiffNipples
FreeSergey
GenericUsername
DxV04
phastings
DyingAce
chaos4ever181
Buttcheekofdeth
Halicarnassis
vixder/pennywise
bloodpixel
Dessembrae
MrDynogames
morte
Dibsville
ser-john
vegan666
User1
xtal84
garrettegge
Jester's Tears
Z3nMast3r
Rayko
ollebsson
jimmyc0341
Ashran
dragonbeast6
RedderAI
The Once-Ler
Gyonimizotetsu
Slarg232
Acarnatia
Oh_the_Humanity
Shkar
Derpwraith
amaro57
ublug
MrMan
Agent Talon
CaptanSpudsy
Forum Pirate
Sargerus
dormancy
reim0027
ExecutionerTri
MasterofShadows
ComaPrison
ak1287
X-government-agent
bosslugger
Strigoi
Mr. Tart
Sloth9230
GkMrBane
Infighter
dancash1808
ViralEnsign_
Yukon
Qawdz
chuck woolery
Soulbreak
MagisterM
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BartholomewWenceslas
Aevun
>Brave<
Macromute
defacto
Tomhet
Phoenix Rising
Kerberos-013
CaligoIllioneus
sciicers
Back Lot Basher
Seignar
FexDS
carlucio
BIG TIME MASTER
FruitPunchNinja
Zechk
DE5PA1R
callipygias
Forcefed
PlasticandRage
RANT
Rainraey
dianaduh
Frostacar
F3N.R1R
TehInfamousAmos
Onion Knight
Ser Isaac
Major_kenny
Nightmare Moon
Juutas
raecor14
passivefamiliar
Marino.
Ghiblier
bart95
The Letter X
Serious_Much
iGBx
Sal Paradise
Bamjam
new deal
The_Hallion
Dogwelder
Tolvo
Spurgun
hageshisa
mugenis4real
XachAttack
Rarayn
Everynevers
eminusx
LordSolaire
Derpin_Errday
jankenneth_10
Espada Muerta
Argetlam350
Noob-of-Artorias
cloudyeki
Icegodzilla
DoughGuy
Shindori
Anonymous Proxy
153 posters

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm

QTE can result in you losing and taking damage, plus most require you to do a sequence of buttons. A throw or a grab attack from Street Fighter II is a hold forward press a attack button to perform. In fact a hornet ring is technically a super move. Backstabs have more a relation to fighting games than a interactive movie game.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 12 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Backstabs in Dark Souls and throws in fighting games are basic forms of QTEs. The key word here is context. These events can only be activated at certain points during certain situations, by quickly activating the necessary input during the allotted time. If you are successful, then the event will play out. This is exactly what happens in backstabs.

What you are talking about are overly complicated QTEs that take control away from the player for extended periods of time, thus the term "interactive movie".

What I wouldn't mind seeing in Dark Souls is a very brief window of opportunity for the player who is about to be backstabbed to be able to activate a particular input, allow him/her to counter/dodge/or block the backstab.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:42 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:Backstabs in Dark Souls and throws in fighting games are basic forms of QTEs.

LOL you are seriously trying to pass them off as QTE. Have a look online to see what a QTE actually is. There is no such thing as basic QTE in the term your describing.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 pm

This is what they mean when they say they want the game to have "more action". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqbQ7wVZ58

DS2 will be a must-have pre-order!
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:55 pm

steveswede wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:Backstabs in Dark Souls and throws in fighting games are basic forms of QTEs.

LOL you are seriously trying to pass them off as QTE. Have a look online to see what a QTE actually is. There is no such thing as basic QTE in the term your describing.

I know what the common understanding for the term is. I'm just telling you that QTEs tend to be a more developed concept of the contextual throw or backstab. From a developmental/mechanical perspective, they aren't as completely different as you think.

Think of it this way: in certain fighting games, you can activate a throw, but within a certain amount of time, the person getting thrown can activate a counter move to either push the opponent away, or activate their own attack. This happened a lot in Tekken. Just because there is no "button cue" popping up (actually some fighting games DO use button cues), or extended pre-rendered cutscene, doesn't mean that it wasn't a QUICK TIME EVENT.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Please, no QTEs! I hate them. Couldn't stand them in God of War either.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

reim0027 wrote:Please, no QTEs! I hate them. Couldn't stand them in God of War either.

Apparently we already have them in DkS and DeS.
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I dont view backstabs as QTE.
    For me QTEs are those scenes during a cutscene where you have to press X to not Die :|
    And i would not want that .
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 pm

the fact that I'm invincible while they happen, makes me think of them as QTE's.
    Maybe they're not, but they're similar enough.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:the fact that I'm invincible while they happen, makes me think of them as QTE's.
    Maybe they're not, but they're similar enough.

Exactly. While some won't admit it, the differences are not as massive as one would like to think.

None of this should be taken as me asking for God of War QTEs. I'm just saying that from a mechanical standpoint, developers don't tend to see them as hugely different as some of you do.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:45 pm

They have a point you know. Backstabs are technically QTE, even more so in PvP when trying to perform a counter backstab. But seriously, we might need a QTE to dodge backstabs. It is quite realistic as well. It ain't easy backstabbing someone who knows you are behind them, but if yo catch them by surprise, they aren't going to dodge.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Seignar wrote:They have a point you know. Backstabs are technically QTE, even more so in PvP when trying to perform a counter backstab. But seriously, we might need a QTE to dodge backstabs. It is quite realistic as well. It ain't easy backstabbing someone who knows you are behind them, but if yo catch them by surprise, they aren't going to dodge.

Unless they are just THAT good, which would be so awesome and terrifying for the ganker. Imagine the assassin sneaking up on a player as he is finishing off a monster. He goes for the backstab. Imagine the horror of the invader as the host, with Zen-like focus, immediately steps to the side dodging the blade, and then does a deadly spin attack which immediately destroys the invader. I'd pay money to see that.

What's scary is that there are players in the PVP community who are actually THAT good. It would add greater risk to backstabbing, because you don't know how good your opponent actually is.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Input: Victim turns around and backsteps just in time to dodge the strike (Small and medium weapons); Staggers down as the attacker misses (Heavy weapons) and gets up.
    Precision Input (Like a parry): Victim side steps and performs a riposte animation as the attacker is caught off guard and staggers through the attack.

Would be pretty cool if they added that mobs that have noticed you can dodge backstabs like this. Once you're good enough in this game, you realize that backstabs are way too easy and beneficial in both PVP and PvE, especially when you know how to chainstab. It would really help if there was a risk to backstabbing.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:42 pm

I really wish backstabs were only possible to perform during certain times, like when someone would normally receive counter damage, and when the person being backstabbed isn't locked on to the person performing the backstab (sorry, but if you're fighting locked off you're probably going for a dead angle/counter BS method anyway). That would add a bit more realism to the backstab system without completely removing it, and it would keep the aspect of danger when fighting in numbers or the reward for successfully sneaking up on your target.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 pm

I hate how backstabs works in Dark souls, if there is a thing they could improve about the combat, it is the backstab mechanics, I think backstabs should be exclusive to small weapons like daggers, for big weapons it should deal critical damage
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

ak1287 wrote:So, would it somehow harm the game if these things were stated somewhere?

I mean, I HAVE read the wiki, otherwise I wouldn't BE here; but I shouldn't BE FORCED to read a wiki for every little thing I want or need, especially not written by a bunch of dudes on the internet I don't know; you all might be swell, intelligent people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to trust everything you say.

Well It seems to me if want to be told what to do in your game you should try playing skyrim . . . . seems more your speed.

However if you want the satisfaction of discovering something for yourself play some Souls.

Spoiler:
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Remember that if anyone has new info about Dark Souls II, send me a PM with it so I can add it to the main post.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 pm

GkMrBane wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:So, would it somehow harm the game if these things were stated somewhere?

I mean, I HAVE read the wiki, otherwise I wouldn't BE here; but I shouldn't BE FORCED to read a wiki for every little thing I want or need, especially not written by a bunch of dudes on the internet I don't know; you all might be swell, intelligent people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to trust everything you say.

Well It seems to me if want to be told what to do in your game you should try playing skyrim . . . . seems more your speed.

However if you want the satisfaction of discovering something for yourself play some Souls.

Spoiler:

As if its impossible to add features into a game (like those that make it more accessible for some) that can be ignored by those who don't want to use them.

Can we please ditch the "all or nothing" viewpoint? The fact of the matter is that this game is going to have some features in it that make it more accessible for some. Instead of going back and forth over whether or not it should be there (its going to be there), perhaps we can look into discussing the best way to implement them while still retaining the game's core strengths?
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    GkMrBane wrote:

Spoiler:

As if its impossible to add features into a game (like those that make it more accessible for some) that can be ignored by those who don't want to use them.

Can we please ditch the "all or nothing" viewpoint? The fact of the matter is that this game is going to have some features in it that make it more accessible for some. Instead of going back and forth over whether or not it should be there (its going to be there), perhaps we can look into discussing the best way to implement them while still retaining the game's core strengths?

Namco doesn't give a sh about the game's core strengths if abandoning them means Namco can double, triple, or quadruple its sales to include casuals.
    dormancy

Post by dormancy Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 am

that spider human mutant thing reminds me of Dead Space
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 am

It reminds me of the sunlight maggot, though I haven't played dead space.
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 am

GkMrBane wrote:

Spoiler:

So, because I want to understand a little bit about core concepts, I want Skyrim?

That's the worst argument I've ever heard.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 am

ak1287 wrote:I want Skyrim

Go play Skyrim.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:44 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:I want Skyrim

Go play Skyrim.

I laughed
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 am

Oi vey.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 am