Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+149
Ahhotep1
SlothAlmighty
skarekrow13
Shakie666
Phenetylaminos
HereticForLife
Wilkinson3424
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
diddle
Fayt
GravelordZealot
SATLOS
Mireneye
PhlyingDutchman
jaythibodeau
ChizFreak
Emergence
Sentiel
steveswede
Serafiem
SadPanda
Thuggernaut
StiffNipples
FreeSergey
GenericUsername
DxV04
phastings
DyingAce
chaos4ever181
Buttcheekofdeth
Halicarnassis
vixder/pennywise
bloodpixel
Dessembrae
MrDynogames
morte
Dibsville
ser-john
vegan666
User1
xtal84
garrettegge
Jester's Tears
Z3nMast3r
Rayko
ollebsson
jimmyc0341
Ashran
dragonbeast6
RedderAI
The Once-Ler
Gyonimizotetsu
Slarg232
Acarnatia
Oh_the_Humanity
Shkar
Derpwraith
amaro57
ublug
MrMan
Agent Talon
CaptanSpudsy
Forum Pirate
Sargerus
dormancy
reim0027
ExecutionerTri
MasterofShadows
ComaPrison
ak1287
X-government-agent
bosslugger
Strigoi
Mr. Tart
Sloth9230
GkMrBane
Infighter
dancash1808
ViralEnsign_
Yukon
Qawdz
chuck woolery
Soulbreak
MagisterM
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BartholomewWenceslas
Aevun
>Brave<
Macromute
defacto
Tomhet
Phoenix Rising
Kerberos-013
CaligoIllioneus
sciicers
Back Lot Basher
Seignar
FexDS
carlucio
BIG TIME MASTER
FruitPunchNinja
Zechk
DE5PA1R
callipygias
Forcefed
PlasticandRage
RANT
Rainraey
dianaduh
Frostacar
F3N.R1R
TehInfamousAmos
Onion Knight
Ser Isaac
Major_kenny
Nightmare Moon
Juutas
raecor14
passivefamiliar
Marino.
Ghiblier
bart95
The Letter X
Serious_Much
iGBx
Sal Paradise
Bamjam
new deal
The_Hallion
Dogwelder
Tolvo
Spurgun
hageshisa
mugenis4real
XachAttack
Rarayn
Everynevers
eminusx
LordSolaire
Derpin_Errday
jankenneth_10
Espada Muerta
Argetlam350
Noob-of-Artorias
cloudyeki
Icegodzilla
DoughGuy
Shindori
Anonymous Proxy
153 posters

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 11 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by The Letter X Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Multiple areas would be boss! With the possibility of vehicles, that makes me really wonder, actually.
    bosslugger
    Casual
    Casual

DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014 - Page 11 Empty Re: DARK SOULS 2 - All info so far Thread - Interviews, Trailers, etc. - Release Date: March 2014

Post by bosslugger Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

great...I'm worried based on that interview/artwork. This looks like God of War mixed with something else....
    X-government-agent
    X-government-agent
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by X-government-agent Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I always thought the convenant system was pretty easy to understand Well What is it I also find some that interview pretty worrying, Miyazaki has to have a large input or can't see it having the same depth, hope I wrong tho
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 pm

The covenant is not simples to understand, it's not polished either and most players just ignore it on their first playthrough, but is it bad? for me it was a lot of fun trying to discover how it works, it added a ton of replay to the game.
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 am

To answer that question, carl; yes. When a system of the game is a complete mess, and people still debate what it does a year later, that's bad. Not gamebreaking, but there is no reason it shouldn't be fixed.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 am

ak1287 wrote:To answer that question, carl; yes. When a system of the game is a complete mess, and people still debate what it does a year later, that's bad. Not gamebreaking, but there is no reason it shouldn't be fixed.

Which covenant's functionality it's being debated?
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:To answer that question, carl; yes. When a system of the game is a complete mess, and people still debate what it does a year later, that's bad. Not gamebreaking, but there is no reason it shouldn't be fixed.

Way of White. There's a general consensus, but most people are even wary of saying it does THAT one function.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 am

ak1287 wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

Way of White. There's a general consensus, but most people are even wary of saying it does THAT one function.

No debate buddy. It's a starter covenant, which groups players from the same covenant, so it's easier to see other people's signs. Everyone is sure about it, anyone saying otherwise are either lying or just didn't tested it correctly.

It may sound as an useless covenant, but it's supposed to be for newcomers, new people often talk to Petrus right off the bat and join this covenant, thus acquiring that perk.
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 am

ChizFreak wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

No debate buddy. It's a starter covenant, which groups players from the same covenant, so it's easier to see other people's signs. Everyone is sure about it, anyone saying otherwise are either lying or just didn't tested it correctly.

It may sound as an useless covenant, but it's supposed to be for newcomers, new people often talk to Petrus right off the bat and join this covenant, thus acquiring that perk.

Well, that wasn't really the part of that covenant I was talking about; it's supposed to increase your likelihood of not getting invaded, too. Or it doesn't. I've never heard a definite answer, although I've heard about 40 different answers.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:48 am

ak1287 wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:
    ak1287 wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:

Well, that wasn't really the part of that covenant I was talking about; it's supposed to increase your likelihood of not getting invaded, too. Or it doesn't. I've never heard a definite answer, although I've heard about 40 different answers.

It's supposedly reduces the amount of invasions as long as you don't have phantom with you. In that case the chance are the standard ones. That's what tests pointed out. And no way to get 40 different answers, or they are all trolls or liars. That's the truth. From my personal experience I seem to get less invasions while being on the Way of White and not summoning anyone.

Read the wiki.

There are lots of newbies out there throwing theories of things that have been already figured out, that's why you always have to resort to trusted places for knowledge. Sadly globalization has lowered the general quality of knowledge, while at the same time making it easier to acquire.

You have to resort to trusted places for info, like wikis. Still, there are lots of wikis out there, but most of them are checked by faithful users who won't post untested or lies in there.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 am

It's not that it reduces the chance, it's just that other covenants/ and people with phantoms have higher priorty.

there's no real way to test it though, if your not getting invaded you could simply be on a bad server at the moment or you could be having good/bad luck depending on what you want.
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 am

So, would it somehow harm the game if these things were stated somewhere?

I mean, I HAVE read the wiki, otherwise I wouldn't BE here; but I shouldn't BE FORCED to read a wiki for every little thing I want or need, especially not written by a bunch of dudes on the internet I don't know; you all might be swell, intelligent people, but that doesn't mean I'm going to trust everything you say.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:22 am

I believe the covenant system is brilliant, i want other companies to copy it. but it was clearly rushed, some covenants have full progression with cool bonuses, others like princess guard and way of the white are useless, Gravelord was spoiled by the poor netcode of the game, it will probably improve a lot with server games.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:03 am

When the new director says he wants to add more action, what he really means is quick time cinematic combat sequences.
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:55 am

The only change I want to see with the covenants is to actually have them work. I've been gravelorded a number of times, and once I even invaded the guy and we fought, but yet I've never seen a BP in my world :|
    Strigoi
    Strigoi

Post by Strigoi Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:39 pm

ComaPrison wrote:When the new director says he wants to add more action, what he really means is quick time cinematic combat sequences.

No. no no no no no..... no.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm

ComaPrison wrote:When the new director says he wants to add more action, what he really means is quick time cinematic combat sequences.

1.Quicktime events, when done right are usually not that bad. The problem is that they are rarely done well, and tend to imitate God of War's QTEs.
    2. Perhaps you spoke with the director personally? If so, when did he give you this secret information? Inquirers are dying to know.
    3. Have you ever played the Monster Hunter games? Well, that's where he came from. He says that he wants to bring some of that experience/knowledge into the evolution of the action in Dark Souls. How many QTEs did you actually see in those games?
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:35 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:

1.Quicktime events, when done right are usually not that bad. The problem is that they are rarely done well, and tend to imitate God of War's QTEs.
    2. Perhaps you spoke with the director personally? If so, when did he give you this secret information? Inquirers are dying to know.
    3. Have you ever played the Monster Hunter games? Well, that's where he came from. He says that he wants to bring some of that experience/knowledge into the evolution of the action in Dark Souls. How many QTEs did you actually see in those games?

1. I don't like them, they are just to look spectacular, and they don't fit into Dark Souls.
    2. He is speculating, as we all do, don't be so rude.
    3. He is not the same guy, read the main post with all the info before saying things you don't know. Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura are From Software employee who worked only on the mech-action series called Another Century.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:21 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

1. I don't like them, they are just to look spectacular, and they don't fit into Dark Souls.
    3. He is not the same guy, read the main post with all the info before saying things you don't know. Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura are From Software employee who worked only on the mech-action series called Another Century.

I stand corrected about the director thing. And no, QTE's are not always meant to just "look spectacular." They are sometimes used to include more complex actions that are too difficult to replicate with the game's standard input system. Like I said, its rarely done well, but the mechanic in and of itself is not bad.

Secondly, nobody is being rude, so relax. I'm just pointing out that he is doing much more than mere speculation. He is drawing conclusions with no basis whatsoever. Perhaps you should reread the post to see how he worded it?
    ExecutionerTri
    ExecutionerTri
    Regular
    Regular

Post by ExecutionerTri Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Im not loving all of this info
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Lasts I checked Backstabs and Ripostes were QTE... :roll:

Everyone seems fine with them, though we could probably all agree that the window for them could be smaller.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:42 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

I stand corrected about the director thing. And no, QTE's are not always meant to just "look spectacular." They are sometimes used to include more complex actions that are too difficult to replicate with the game's standard input system. Like I said, its rarely done well, but the mechanic in and of itself is not bad.

Secondly, nobody is being rude, so relax. I'm just pointing out that he is doing much more than mere speculation. He is drawing conclusions with no basis whatsoever. Perhaps you should reread the post to see how he worded it?

The speculation is just getting to fanatical levels at this point, we know absolutely nothing other than what's been (vaguely) stated, some concept art and a CGI trailer. Doesn't help when a certain famous community member over analyses a 2 minute CGI trailer and the interview. Time to hibernate away from this 'community' lunacy me thinks.
    But I digress the game isn't due out next year so this will die down when cold hard fact hits people in the face in the form of gameplay footage.
    Also Chiz your rudeness remark was beautifully ironic.

steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:Lasts I checked Backstabs and parries were QTE... :roll:

Everyone seems fine with them, though we could probably all agree that the window for them could be smaller.

More like a grab attack from a fighting game. QTE are over extended flashy finishers, or are use to split boss segments up.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Press R1 as soon as you parry/are behind opponent, aside from the fact that it doesn't appear onscreen, it sounds like a QTE to me.

And some of those Hornet Ring backstabs can get pretty flashy.

I meant Riposte earlier, not parries lol

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:Press R1 as soon as you parry/are behind opponent, aside from the fact that it doesn't appear onscreen, it sounds like a QTE to me.

And some of those Hornet Ring backstabs can get pretty flashy.

Exactly, backstabs and parry animations are essentially quick-time events.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am