Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+37
BeeSeaEss
Knarf23
Carphil
Dibsville
reim0027
The Letter X
shadowzninjaz
Thxodore
Forum Pirate
Mr. Tart
WaffleGuy
Reaperfan
Hue
Hart
MikailArksot
bunnywink
OminousSquaffle
Tolvo
tigab95
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
nsane32
PlasticandRage
GenericUsername
Encore
Latitoast
Leet
Soris Ice Goldwing
Hatsune Miku
SirArchmage
Kiva the wanderer
KrazykevS10
Soul of Stray Demon
Serious_Much
GrinTwist
Marino.
ResIsBestStat
skarekrow13
41 posters

Random Off-Topic

Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Random Off-Topic - Page 21 Empty Re: Random Off-Topic

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:34 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:I didn't even know there was multiplayer. I've only been playing for about 2ish hours total. I think I just finished the tutorial. It's incredible so far. It's range is just amazing. I feel like usually when games try to do a bunch of different things, as opposed to just sticking with one kind of main genre element, they tend to end up doing all of them badly, as opposed to just doing one thing really well. This game though, it does a bunch of different things, and does all of them really well. It caters to pretty much everything I enjoy about SRPG's, as well a few things I like about RTS's. I'm really impressed so far. There's a paper I should be writing right now, and the discovery of this game is just killing me. In case anyone else is interested it's on sale on Steam for $9 until Monday I think. The sale is all 2K games, so it's like the Borderland franchise, what looks like the entire XCOM franchise, including all the old ones for something like $1.50 a piece, and some other stuff.
    Just wait till you encounter CyberDiscs and Sectopods.... You will rage. Here's a few tips. 
    Sprinter for supports is amazing, covering fire sucks. Squadsight>Snapshot by far, and for your heavy, make sure to get heat ammo. Also, Carapace Armor isn't worth it, Skellie suit all the way.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Yeah I already made a bunch of mistakes then. I'm thinking about starting over once I'm sure I've finished the tutorial anyway though. It really restricts you in the beginning while it's teaching you to do things, and I think I may have done a few things differently if I had had the control early.

Is there any way to ensure that your rookies will develop in certain directions? I really want another heavy and I haven't been getting one. I have 1 heavy, 1 assault, and like 3 supports and 3 snipers. They just keep giving them to me. I have access to 5 troops per mission right now, and I'd ideally like to have 1 of each class, then an additional heavy. My current one seems to do most of the heavy lifting, pun intended, so I figure why not throw another one into the mix?
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:54 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Yeah I already made a bunch of mistakes then. I'm thinking about starting over once I'm sure I've finished the tutorial anyway though. It really restricts you in the beginning while it's teaching you to do things, and I think I may have done a few things differently if I had had the control early.

Is there any way to ensure that your rookies will develop in certain directions? I really want another heavy and I haven't been getting one. I have 1 heavy, 1 assault, and like 3 supports and 3 snipers. They just keep giving them to me. I have access to 5 troops per mission right now, and I'd ideally like to have 1 of each class, then an additional heavy. My current one seems to do most of the heavy lifting, pun intended, so I figure why not throw another one into the mix?
    It's all luck.. You don't get to decide at all. It's quite sad, in the original x-com you could choose.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:01 pm

X-com on sale on Steam? Awesome, I haven't played it much but from the couple of hours I put into it, it was a lot of fun. I had to restart my game over twice though, mostly because I had no idea what to do.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:Yeah I already made a bunch of mistakes then. I'm thinking about starting over once I'm sure I've finished the tutorial anyway though. It really restricts you in the beginning while it's teaching you to do things, and I think I may have done a few things differently if I had had the control early.

It's all luck.. You don't get to decide at all. It's quite sad, in the original x-com you could choose.
    I'm just going to keep trying to train new rookies each time then I guess. I have a bunch that I could try with.

I really wanted a female assault or sniper trooper too and they keep making my women supports. It's a little frustrating.

^ Yeah I probably wouldn't have even discovered the series otherwise. Ever since I got my new computer I've been combing the steam sales looking for something new to play so I can really see what my PC can do, and it ended up being XCOM.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 pm

I might have to try that soon. It was a ps+ game over the summer that I haven't gotten to yet.

Speaking of plus, I started Kingdoms of Amalur last night.

Should be called "Elder Scrolls: Fable"

Game mechanics are definitely Scrolls while level and character design are Fable. To the point of shameless copying in many areas. It's still pretty fun though
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Amalur was alright, I can't say it was a very unique game though. Definitely not worth buying at least, you either get bored by it or eventually just move onto something else and forget it entirely. Looking forward to your inevitable review of the game though. silly

You should definitely get the X-COM though, it was probably one of the best strategy games I've played in a while.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:33 pm

I really wanted to like Amalur. I played about 20 hours each with 3 separate characters and got bored and stopped at right around the same time with each one. The combat was just too easy. I actually fell asleep playing it a few times. No exaggeration. Really that's not a testament to how great a game is.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far but even after just a short while I'm starting to wonder about Bioshock 2, inFamous 2, Sleeping Dogs, Xcom, Stacking, Back to the Future and the rest of my backlog. I might give it another night but it's not a game I see myself finishing. Fun for sure but so darn derivative I find myself hitting the wrong button because I assume the mapping is the same as other games. And that's not an exaggeration either
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by GrinTwist Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:06 am

Sleeping Dogs and BioShock 2 are on there? I've only put a few hours in Sleeping Dogs but I can say I had a lot of fun with that. Can't say the same for BioShock 2 though, mainly because I've never played it.

Lift 
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:11 am

Yeah, it's a hell of a list for plus if you started at the beginning. The last year has been insane honestly. Particularly when the vita got added. Since Dark Souls was released I had been accumulating games and was wondering where my fifty dollars was going each year. Then I stopped playing that and the vita games started and it's felt like the simple smartest purchase in video game history. I still have about ten games I think downloaded I've never played in addition to the ones I've reviewed. And I think over twenty more that I don't have space for at the moment.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 am

It's funny how literally every single one of us accumulated backlogs of games because of dark souls. I'm still working mine off and its easily been over 6 months since I've played DkS. I know at least 3 or 4 other people here, not part of this conversation, that I've talked to about having them also. It's just kind of a funny unexpected mass side effect of the game.

I think Amalur could have been great. It has a lot that's good, like the environments are great, once you start getting deeper into the world it gains some depth and some places have really nice atmosphere, some of the individual characters/races have a lot of character and are fun to interact with, the options for developing your character are diverse enough that you could get through a playthrough and make something at least moderately unique and then have some replay value left over. The problem is that you just do the same maybe 5 things over and over in quests, and there's no challenge in the combat. It's not a whole lot of fun developing and customizing a character if you use it to immediately roll over everything, and it doesn't get any more difficult unless you try to go somewhere that you aren't supposed to. The majority of the quests that I did were like the worst kind of generic Elderscrolls style quests too, like delivery or errand running quests, or killing random generic enemies. They weren't all like that, but there was enough repetition even in the more unique ones that it got stale. It's a tough call though because it really does do some things well. I still have my copy if that says anything. I've started to sell it a few times, but I keep stopping myself because I want to rediscover it sometime and find something about it that I can love. I want it to be good, but I don't know if it has the ability to be.

I couldn't be happier with XCOM. I played it pretty much all evening. I'd be hard pressed to say anything bad about it at all. The combination of it and Valkyria Chronicles existing as a part of this generation give me hope for the future of gaming. Western SRPG fans don't get much love unless we play handhelds almost exclusively. I'm really happy to be finding more exceptions to that.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 am

swtor isn't helping my backlog get any smaller either.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 am

I think if I didn't have so many other games to go Amalur would be a nice treat. Even the first area gets respect for look and atmosphere from me. But with a big backlog remaining and the PS4 only about a month away I have a ton of pressure to look for a great game to rip through. It's nice but I can envision the time commitment from me and see how much of that window it'll take up and I don't think I can do it. At least for now
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:12 am

This is really off-topic... but

DOGGY HAREM
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:23 am

OH AND.....

I announce my Love to the kittenest of all cats... ENCORE......

Will you marry me Encore? 

Be my wonderful husband?

Live together forever on the internet? 

Please be my spouse. 

I love you.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 am

If I was smart enough to be a developer...
    Random Off-Topic - Page 21 ArpgnP6_700b
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:27 am

WaffleGuy wrote:If I was smart enough to be a developer...
    Waffle I love you too. Will you marry me?
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:29 am

Polygamy isn't legal here. You have to choose silly
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:31 am

WaffleGuy wrote:
    Polygamy isn't legal here. You have to choose silly
    I choose Encore then..... and the Penguins.....

Nah, just Encore.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:37 pm

I love this video..

I just found it, gonna watch all the videos on the channel.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm

I love you for this.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm

So I keep getting harassed by Vector marketing and they want to set up an interview with me. This is something I really don't want ugh.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Throw your phone through the window of you house.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Just felt like adding, I like the little Orange Soapstone that denotes the Forum now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am