Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Serious_Much
Tolvo
Juutas
FattyOfDoom
Jansports
Tristan
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Slarg232
FruitPunchNinja
WyrmHero
nsane32
ICEFANG
Glutebrah
TehInfamousAmos
RANT
19 posters

[spoilers] hyper armor

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

[spoilers] hyper armor - Page 2 Empty Re: [spoilers] hyper armor

Post by RANT Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:54 pm

DGM; best ugs imo, i use the roll r1 mostly but i unlock right before i attack so that i wont get parried and dead angle, some some reason you do if you unlock most of the times, the huge arc of the reg r1 is awesome for bs fisherss since when unlocked you can cover the whole area around you which will hit them and cancel the bs(you still get the animation and mura is the best weapons to deal with fisherss too, much more efficient with those lethal dead angles), also dont forget about those jumping r2's once you figure out the pattern of your opponent's attacks you can land them regularly but you gotta be ready to get bs'd if you miss. the reg r2 can also be good for fisher since if you unlock you can make them go splat but i dont recommend it since you can just wait for the animation and they still get a really easy bs on you but it feels so good to land it though.

DGA; people say greataxes suck for the exception of the bkga but i gonna say this baby right here is the best out of all of them, believe it or not it has almost the same reach as the bkga and will stunlock anything(i really wish it had the ground pount but the spinning attack is good for dead angling) unlock and press r1 and aim it to wherever your opponent is going since its probably gonna be a bs and you will hit them 90% of the time its awesome, they never see it coming,same thing i said about the DGM r2 jumping attack applies here and pretty much all the ultra weapons. the rolling r1 good for dead angling if unlock but try not to get to close since you will get parried.

BKUGS; same as the DGM but more reach which i love and use when i have the dex to use it.

GREATAXE; same as DGA but less reach.
    more to come..

Last edited by RantFromRant on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:49 am

I managed to hit 53 poise fast rolling with BKGA at 99 on a build from another thread before I heard about hyper armor. I guess I'll go back to fooling around with that.
    It really is a shame though, if they were just a tad lighter it wouldn't be such an issue
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:02 am

What's Hyper Armor? :o
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 am

It was supposed to be for Str weapons only. Once you start swinging the weapon, you couldn't get interrupted even if you had 0 poise. In the end it was just a rumor.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:56 am

It's pretty odd why people are so butthurt about about not having the hyper armor.
    You didn't have it before and you did fine, or does this all boil down to DWGR again?
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:00 am

DWGR was very useful for fast rolling with some poise with a +20 weight weapon. Now it's fast roll 0 poise or medium roll with some poise (don't know if could get to +53).
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:19 am

High poise is highly overrated. I have never needed over 40 poise (which can be gained by using wolf ring ).
    I think it was intended that heavy weapon users are slow and now that midroll is buffed it's not that big of a deal if you midroll.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 am

Rather Ironically the weapons the most in need of poise weigh more than the weapons that are less in need.

*If* mid rolling is buffed to the point where there is no quantifiable advantage to fast rolling the entire world just got a free DWGR, nothing much changed. If however mid rolling comes with the downsides we know it to have Heavy weapons(typically str scaling monsters like Greataxes, UGS ect.) Come at a huge huge huge premium. 25.0 units to fast roll at 40 with FaP. BKGA is 16 of that, DGM 18 even the "lighter" weapons like Greatsword and Mura are about HALF of your allowed weight. Any of the Dragon great weapons is the only thing you get to equip at 40End with FaP on, the rest of your gear must come from highly diminished End gouging.

Of course I can hit 53 poise with the BKGA, I even get a decent shield. I look a lot more like Juutas than I normally do (that is to say I'm not wearing much clothes) Or I can comfortably hit 65 and have fast pyros AND have access to a buff for one of my many amazing Dex weapons 5.0 or lower (Uchi/Lai, BSS, Falchion, Either of the new Dex scalers)

I'm not even a big fan of Str weapons(!) The only one I 'like' is the BKGA for it's aesthetics I can barely stand swinging the thing around. But really trying to use anything that swings as slow as some of these things without poise is needlessly more difficult than it should be. And quite seriously without both stunlocks and DWGR there is little incentive to use these weapons.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 am

I agree, Juutas.

40 poise is usually all I need. If anything is going to break my poise beyond that, well, then, I shouldn't be getting hit by that weapon anyway.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I agree, Juutas.

40 poise is usually all I need. If anything is going to break my poise beyond that, well, then, I shouldn't be getting hit by that weapon anyway.

The very weapons people "simply don't get hit by" are the ones being penalized most with the patch. That's the biggest issue to me, why even include STR weapons in the game if their such a non issue in pvp people just don't get hit by them?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Because most players do, we might not, but it's a very common sight. It's similar to a fighting game where everyone uses one character who is fast, high damage, and high health. Sure I can beat most players as Jiggly Puff but manu players lose just because they didn't pick the top tier character.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:14 pm

I thought jiggly was to top tier? Or was that Melee only?

I dunno, I think Hyper Armor is perfect for STR weapons. In theory, a DEX weapon should always beat a STR one. I think the better fix is one I suggested. DEX modifies rolling speed and STR your swing speed.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

i think the problem with str weapons on this game is their swing speed is stupidly slow. i mean on demons, everything was much faster and more fluid, but because of that str weapons could still catch an unwary player off guard, now the combat overall is slower, it's extremely easy to just roll away/through a str weapon attack is it takes so long..

i'd actually like it if they sped the combat up a tad more in the next game. i appreciate slower swings overall for more realism, but right now str weapons are just too slow in my opinion.

maybe they should explore swing speed scaling with str, that could be an avenue to go down.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Well if it got too realistic, we would have only dex builds haha, I wouldn't mind that though.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Jiggs is currently considered 3rd but there's two puff players inflating her position (IMO) But that's REALLY off topic.

Well Tolvo is SL99 is popular you might get what you asked for.

It's not like I want the good ol' mash R1 and win days with the BKGA or a greatsword. It'd just be nice if they were somewhere in the range of Uchi, Falchion, BSS. It was hard enough hitting someone once to win a fight
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I personally think many more weapons should be slower as well, such as katana especially the WP.

And the Puff is doing better now? Damn, sounds like I need to switch tow Bowser.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Tolvo wrote:I personally think many more weapons should be slower as well, such as katana especially the WP.

i agree, there are some weapons need speed changing, but only really among slower weapons, the faster ones seem okay.. the washing pole should be slower i agree, just due to it's length if anything
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Str weapons need poise but from really screwed but with the dwgr which was meant to be just something cool but of course people took advantage of it and stacked as much poise as they could which is why you see full giant's with katanas and rapiers which don't need much poise since they're really fast, that thing that really oiise me off is when I'm just about to glhit an opponent only to be stunned by a damn rapier or kirks armor half a sec before I hit them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Oh god, I didn't even consider what kirks would do with the new patch.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Juutas brought up a good point in one of the twitch streams we were watching. Since you can't be backstabbed with iron flesh str weapons can really go crazy with that. Maybe pair some range weapon(crossbow) incase they flee. Idk, i think str weapons will have their place in the new content. Seriously though namco bandai screwed fromsoft, theres so many games coming out that im just not going to be putting hrs into dark souls like before. They really should have re-thought their release dates, its like they didn't pay attention to the competition at all. Sorry that was off topic.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:51 pm

can you walk fast while you have it? if youre slow as hell then all people are gonna do is wait till it runs out and you wont be able to do[spoilers] hyper armor - Page 2 2324285107 even if you have a bow/xbow or magic since those are easy to dodge.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Thats why i think Str/mage will actually be very viable rant. Especially with that new cat, i will probably make one as one of my first new builds for DLC.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:03 pm

i dont even care if its viable, as soon as i saw the catalyst i knew i had to make a build around it. you also are very vullnerable to attacks with iron flesh, if you go against a caster youre screwed. i love how people complain about the weigh, 5? really? too heavy for you? all the weapons i use weight 14 to 24 lol
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 pm

havels shield r2 gives you infinite poise and you move about like normal.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm

i wonder if the havels shield special buff can not be backstabbed also, that would be huge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:43 am