Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
ssss_2_is_pwnage
IV_Mark_VI
6 posters

Anyone use the Great Axe?

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Anyone use the Great Axe? Empty Anyone use the Great Axe?

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 am

I've seen some people use this weapon in PvP and it seems like it *could* be very effective. Very limited range, but hits like a truck and has fastish attacks. I'm very tempted to make a build to use it; what are people's experiences with this?
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Anyone use the Great Axe? Empty Re: Anyone use the Great Axe?

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 am

In the PTD I made a fast rolling Chaos Greataxe build. (Not a vit gauge) I've had some very god experiences with this weapon. It's fast, it stuns well, and it's tracking for circle fishers is GODLIKE. Also, as you said, it hits like a damn truck :p If you catch a normal players with a 2-3 hit stun you'll more than likely finish the match with that haha. Also it's parry damage is a usual 1-hit on a build that isn't a vit gauge.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 am

i like it a lot, its a lot ligter than the dga which is pretty awesome considering its not that much weaker than it. with greataxes its a good idea to have a fast weapon like a rapier or a bow to keep peop off your ***, i wouold do ssomething like this http://tinyurl.com/8or2ebf estoc off hand is the best off weapon imo specially if you know how to parry, or yoiu could swap estoc for a rapier and comp bow on secend right hand slot just poison your opponents to keep them on their toes, most people will freak out when they get poisoned and will throw them off their game.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 am

Is Chaos GreatAxe the way to go over STR/DEX build? I'm not talking about a capped SL, I'm talking to make this axe most effective. Because you haev to sink a lot of STR to make this axe useable (22 I think to 2H it, but likely you'll want to have the threat of a parry, so 32 I think is the STR you need). Seems like a lot of STR to make a chaos weapon.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 am

Hey Rant, why Estoc in the off hand? Does it parry better than the shield, or do you use it to poke at people and then hit with the axe? Or both?

I've never used a weapon offhand.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 am

it has the same parry speed *** the wooden shiel(fast) its so helpful for str since all people will do is fish for a bs and NOTHING else so that keep them at bay and the estoc has sick reach so its really good, you could always use a spear but i prefer rapiers cause i almost always get a parry with them. i poke once then roll r1 sionce the speed is so different i end up getting them with the axe a lot. also i poison them first with my bow then poke and r1 from greataxe, it works for me so maybe just give it a shot.

i hate elementals so im not sure but for crits if you have 32 or 22 str elemental will hit harder, on reg attacks +15 will hit harder for sure.

edit; you could also do something like this http://tinyurl.com/96bwmlx which is actually the build im using right now. i cant decide between light xbow or a bow but xbow means no rapier too gaaaahhhhhhhhhh also make sure you switch wolf ring to rtsr to get a ohko(probably lol)
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:05 pm

What's the move set difference between the great axe and the demon great axe?

I hate the way a lot of the weapons look in dark souls; gimps my builds somewhat but I don't have to look silly with some of the weapons out there. So preferably I wouldn't have to use the Demon Greataxe.

Regular Greataxe has good scaling with a B... and a quality build the damage is much closer. Definitely going to try this weapon.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 pm

its the same move set, the r2 is slitghty different and dga's r2 is a little slower but v=covers more ground around you. i gotta say that the DGA is awesome, it has really good reach which most people misjudge and end up getting hit with it and its the most powerful weapon in the game in terms of ar, the only thing that keeps me from using it all the time is that damn weight.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Thing that keeps me from using it is it looks ridiculous.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 pm

yeah, i actually love the way the greataxe looks, DGA look ok but the GA l=makes you look like a badass excutioner.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Meh I guess I'm just into "regular" looking weapons and all the over the top stuff makes me just shake my head. I don't mind over the top bosses or enemies, I just want weapons that look somewhat like regular weapons.

Have you ever used the Gargoyle's tail axe? It has D/B scaling, and looks like it puts out decent damage compared to other weapons in it's category, including the butcher knife.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 pm

butcher knife is better imo, garg tail axe is not that good, i think the battle axe is better but that's just me.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone use the Gargoyle's Tail axe, but stat wise it seems fine. It's moveset must be terrible.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 pm

RantFromRant wrote:its the same move set, the r2 is slitghty different and dga's r2 is a little slower but v=covers more ground around you. i gotta say that the DGA is awesome, it has really good reach which most people misjudge and end up getting hit with it and its the most powerful weapon in the game in terms of ar, the only thing that keeps me from using it all the time is that damn weight.

I could have sworn the DGH outdamaged it by a little? Both my DGH and DGA are crystal, which may have something to do with it.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 pm

GC is better than the DGH, i think even the LC is better than the DGH. i love the DGH but it kills me that the scaling for it kinda sucks when you compare it to the LC or GC and all that extra weight.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 pm

I might have used it twice ever. Not a big fan of the clubs/hammers to begin with. Plus it weighs a ton and has a 50 str requirement. I've only gone that high to one hand the Dragon weapons. Or on a FH build where I'm just gonna 99 everything anyway.
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Is Chaos GreatAxe the way to go over STR/DEX build? I'm not talking about a capped SL, I'm talking to make this axe most effective. Because you haev to sink a lot of STR to make this axe useable (22 I think to 2H it, but likely you'll want to have the threat of a parry, so 32 I think is the STR you need). Seems like a lot of STR to make a chaos weapon.

I do understand what you are saying but my reasoning was mostly for the lack of hp. On the PTD you have 20 points less in your stat placement if you expect to get a good amount of action in the arena. So with that in mind I opted out of a strait strength build and went for the more viable option in my opinion with the options I had. Mostly because i'm a dex guy I absolutey needed the extra vit to maintain a god KDR with a heavy weapon. It's like starting out in PvP, most people use elly weps with a vit build to get situated and then evolve ^^ I'm starting to plan my true PTD str build with DGA, BKGA, and reg GA. I think if you want to test it and your not used to that kind of weapon or it's move set, elemental is the way to go.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm

clubs do get boring really fast, and yes most of the time that extra weight is not worth it. i have been invading with the small hammers recently and its been a lot of fun and they hit hard as long as you dont miss.

@ssss i have never heard people talk about KDR in this game, does the arena have that now? wtf this is not a fps
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm

RantFromRant wrote:@ssss i have never heard people talk about KDR in this game, does the arena have that now? wtf this is not a fps

Haha, just use it to tally my win %. Arena doesn't have that, don't worry :p
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I use the GA a lot. Most people underestimate it's range, so it's easy to stunlock them. Roll BS will be hard to counter though, i usually try to mix it up with the r2 + locking off and aiming for my back.
    But i always have a fast weapons in second slot or off hand.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I've fought you when you were using the DGA, Spur. I don't know why, but I ALWAYS underestimate the swing speed. Or I'll end up attacking at the same time and a damage trade doesnt really work when you get locked down on the first swing and it's bangin' out a third of your hp with every hit.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Poop. I'm better off with a cestus. At least then I'd have the speed to close on katana or claymore poking.

I'd use a zweih or dgm for power, they're just as strong with way better range, they dead angle, and they defend against backstabs.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, I think even if you lose with a certain weapon, it can make you a much better player. Having to deal with crappy range and handicapping yourself I think will make you a much better player when you do have range and a better weapon.

So going with a GA would be fun, just for that.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 pm

GA is fun just because it's a burly looking weapon. Stuff like the DGM shares the same quality, with more functionality, but it's cool just to pull one out sometimes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:26 am