Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Rin
FellipeMariano
Spurgun
Hoshizoku
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
The_Flail
Kirk-Barb
hageshisa
HippyClown
DoughGuy
cloudyeki
Jansports
Shkar
twilightwarwolf
billy_bayonet
dancash1808
ViralEnsign_
Wilkinson3424
WyrmHero
23 posters

Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars.

Poll

Which is the most sensible points cap?

[ 6 ]
    Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [22%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap26%Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [26%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [11%] 
    [ 11 ]
    Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap41%Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [41%] 

Total Votes: 27
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 Empty Re: Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars.

Post by DoughGuy Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 am

Before a score cap is decided we need to hear the opinions of people who are against it.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars. - Page 2 Empty Re: Setting the new points cap, and a balanced scoring system for future wars.

Post by ViralEnsign_ Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 am

I then think a cap of 400 is acceptable to me.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 am

Me too. My best score was around +300 if I remember, but only because I won like 100 points from winning a best of 3 against Billy in the NL war lol.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am

Just proposed Star Harmonia an alliance to spice things up and maybe they could participate in wars as well. Thinking about a good points system for them.....
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 am

That's extremely easy. 1 point for every invader killed, 10 points for every invader who drops prisms with them, and double that if the invader decides to seppuku afterwards.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:39 am

Not so easy. They have coop, invader and dueling playstyles. When they coop, they just drop prism stones there. If the host uses a black crystal to drop them from the world, they completed the goal and could win 10 points (for example). Invader play is running to the boss fog and drop prism stones till host arrives. I would believe they can't attack the host, so let the host kill you after dropping stones = 15 points. For dueling, they host and begin making an arena of prism stones. The goal is to kill invader inside the arena, 20 points.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am

Now your thinking with prisms, Wyrm.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:55 am

yeah no. This is war my friends, harsh gruelling war. There is no time for shiny lights. You aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 am

The more light is in the world, the harder for Darkstalkers to cover it in darkness. Off to sleep.
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:33 am

Everyone who is either 16 or unemployed would think the score cap is a bad idea. Bus since I myself got almost 4h playtime this massinvasion and 8h during the last war, Im totally for caps. Just because some people want to be "best" (get high scores), my points will never do ant good. Im just saying, the wars need to attract all types of players, and this "the more time the more score", thats like the classic "gametrap" (like the articel about games in off-topic section). Why should I participate when everyone else gonna score 5000 when I have time for 50-100. Its not because Im bad at PvP, its cause it dont have time. And there must be others that feel the same about this. Skills should count, not ghe amount of spare time.

And sorry about some spelling, iphone <3
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

I voted no cap. But I believe if you adjust the way you score points, you won't need a cap.

I suggest that during a war you only count points for kills against members of enemy covenants. After all, those are really the only points that count. The way it is now it would be like if Illinois declared war on California, but when the war started, killed the soldiers in New York State and then declared themselves the winner.

Warriors would keep a list of who they killed and who killed them and turn the list in with their total number of valid victories to their respective leaders. Leaders would make the tally and then compare notes to come up with the final score and the victor. This would also make it possible to verify the numbers.

How would we know who was the enemy? If you wished to be involved in the war you would have to sign up and get posted. You would not only include your level and name, but also the time or times you would be online. You would start the process a couple of weeks befor the war begins, that way
    participants could make adjustments to their time slots and schedules to be on when the most activity is happening. As for those who can play the full 24hrs... well now they know when they can take a break. Of course you would have to set a cut off time for entry and tell anyone who wanted to join after it, that they would have to wait til the next war.

What about a darkwraith invasion where an enemy sunbro is helping a stranger get a host to the boss. I only get one point if I win??? No, the host and the extra help would be considered allies and there deaths would count as valid points. In fact I would say if you only killed the host, you would still get 3 points. On the other hand the presence of an enemy invader would make the boss run hot and not only would the sunbro get a point for the DW death, but also one for getting the host past the boss.

What about gravelords? They can have up to three invaders. If one is an enemy and two are not, then the enemy invader only gets a point if he strikes the killing blow, and the GL has the potential of 3 points. As long as the enemy invader doesn't kill off the compitition first.

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I haven't thought of. But this isn't ment to be the one and only solution to the scoring difficulty. I'm just throwing this out here to maybe get us thinking in a different direction. It might be the wrong direction, but I won't know if I don't ask.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Well. No points cap is the second highest voted thing... either way this will be polarising...
    The_Flail
    The_Flail
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Flail Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

I think Kirk`s Idea is a good start.

The one problem I see here is admittedly a rather specific for the CGOS. It concerns Dried Finger hosting and invasion by non-participants, mainly because in that situation one can`t just Black Crystal away. Thus forcing the host to either fight a battle that only costs him time and maybe humanity or suiciding which will definitly cost him both time and humanity.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Kirk-Barb wrote:I voted no cap. But I believe if you adjust the way you score points, you won't need a cap.

I suggest that during a war you only count points for kills against members of enemy covenants. After all, those are really the only points that count. The way it is now it would be like if Illinois declared war on California, but when the war started, killed the soldiers in New York State and then declared themselves the winner.

Warriors would keep a list of who they killed and who killed them and turn the list in with their total number of valid victories to their respective leaders. Leaders would make the tally and then compare notes to come up with the final score and the victor. This would also make it possible to verify the numbers.

How would we know who was the enemy? If you wished to be involved in the war you would have to sign up and get posted. You would not only include your level and name, but also the time or times you would be online. You would start the process a couple of weeks befor the war begins, that way
    participants could make adjustments to their time slots and schedules to be on when the most activity is happening. As for those who can play the full 24hrs... well now they know when they can take a break. Of course you would have to set a cut off time for entry and tell anyone who wanted to join after it, that they would have to wait til the next war.

What about a darkwraith invasion where an enemy sunbro is helping a stranger get a host to the boss. I only get one point if I win??? No, the host and the extra help would be considered allies and there deaths would count as valid points. In fact I would say if you only killed the host, you would still get 3 points. On the other hand the presence of an enemy invader would make the boss run hot and not only would the sunbro get a point for the DW death, but also one for getting the host past the boss.

What about gravelords? They can have up to three invaders. If one is an enemy and two are not, then the enemy invader only gets a point if he strikes the killing blow, and the GL has the potential of 3 points. As long as the enemy invader doesn't kill off the compitition first.

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I haven't thought of. But this isn't ment to be the one and only solution to the scoring difficulty. I'm just throwing this out here to maybe get us thinking in a different direction. It might be the wrong direction, but I won't know if I don't ask.

Wrong. What if I live in Japan and can't make it while you guys from EU are fighting each other? Not fair, that's why we do it 24 hours, so that everyone gets a chance to score. Last 2 wars I did the LH hosts while DS invade strategy that got me the chance to fight randomly against some DS, and it's super cool. Also you are forgetting that not all covenants host/invade. We have NK that do strict coop, and now I have considered Star Harmonia a chance to show their prism stone throwing skills. Wars is not about dueling, is about showing each covenant abilities as a whole. The random factor is the key.

Regarding your worry about killing gankers, etc. Last mass invasion LH has we have a points system for them:

-3 points per gankers
    -4 points per 2vs1
    -5 points per 3vs1

These points stack. Example is if I kill the host and 2 phantoms I got 10 points =1+2+2+5. It's a bit complicated system but could be added.
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Wow.... ok... I'm wrong. So now I know. My appologies.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh LOL. I just don't wanna change the current setup we have for wars since it seems so good, and it needs the point cap.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

No cap. If you get a high score, and you're playing within the rules then it should count.
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:47 pm

No cap is still unfair imo

It should sat "Nooooo! I have time" not pro lol. Since its mostly about how much you can play
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm

No cap also favor the DW covenant, seeing as they get constant invasions = constant points. Hosts, DMs and GLs are f*cked.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Good point, Wyrm. Maybe some egghead can come up with a math equation which takes into account this inherent invader advantage.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm

And I have suspicions that also favors guys with good internet or super open NAT, idk but as a host I got a lot of failed invaders (the bonfire fades and lights up again, signaling a failed invasion). Don't know if it's because the P2P system sucks or it's my net.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I tend to reset my router every 2 weeks. It helps with both hosting and vading, as well as torrenting and streaming >_>.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Resetting as turning it off and on?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm

As in unplugging it and leaving it to cool down for atleast a minute.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Kirk I've been over your idea with Rooster before, and the problem is that type of scoring system turns it into a tournemant, not a war. And one big thing everyone seems to forget, the Knights are not a pvp cov! The entire reason we do wars the way we do is so everyone does what they do best, and for the NK thats co-op. If you make the wars purely pvp, the DS will win, no matter what.

Finally anyone who suggests that invaders get more points for kills is getting their idea thrown out straight away. The DS do not need more points, the NK and hosts do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:59 am