Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
vatar5
Rynoa
Mr. Tart
mugenis4real
Argetlam350
raecor14
10 posters

Too many NPC's?

Poll

are there to many NPC's?

[ 1 ]
    Too many NPC's? I_vote_lcap3%Too many NPC's? I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 15 ]
    Too many NPC's? I_vote_lcap50%Too many NPC's? I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 13 ]
    Too many NPC's? I_vote_lcap43%Too many NPC's? I_vote_rcap [43%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Too many NPC's? I_vote_lcap3%Too many NPC's? I_vote_rcap [3%] 

Total Votes: 30
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Too many NPC's? Empty Too many NPC's?

Post by raecor14 Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 pm

before the rabid flaming starts i just want to point out this is just my opinion, not a fact in any way or form. Every time i play this game i cant help but feel like theres tones of people helping me, its just within the first 10 min you meet the most friendly guy in any game ever. compared to demons souls where you could go through the game and maybe meet like 3 other people without even realizing anyone else existed, let alone that they gave you the tools to be indestructible. in this game if you play your cards right you can get the lightning spear before you even defeat the gargoyles. now I love some of the NPC's (lautric, patches, and the pryromancer) but they seam too easy to find, no mystery to how they got there, half the time i wonder how they got as far as they did! just some thoughts and some hopes to the next series
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Too many NPC's? Empty Re: Too many NPC's?

Post by Argetlam350 Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 am

I somewhat hated the fact that Demon's Souls had so few NPCs. It made some areas just feel bland. Plus with how Dark Souls is open world, I feel having fewer NPCs would really make the world feel empty. Really kind of hard to explain but basically I find that they provided just the right amount of NPCs into the game.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 am

Demon's Souls made me feel more than a little helpless at times, going through so much without a friendly face in sight. This also made finding a buddy like Ostrava or Biorr great fun and feel really rewarding. I think that maybe they did overdo the amount of NPC's in Dark Souls just a tad.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 am

I really like the idea of having MORE NPCs because otherwise it feels too dead. Too empty. And keep in mind, not everyone has access to internet, thus they would feel pretty lonely with no one at all. I understand more NPCs might be less Souls like, but i just like the thought of there being others around.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:13 am

^With so many NPC's around will you ever really feel like your in danger? Of course From did make it a point to not have any of the friendly NPC's help you out in a fight unless they were summoned via the WSS.

This also bothers me a great deal. When I draw two big skeletons out of the graveyard and by the bonfire, I expect Laurentius to get off his A$$ and put in a little work. Whenever Ostrava saw me in fight, he would come running over to help. OK sure he usually got himself killed, but at least would try.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:31 am

"its just within the first 10 min you meet the most friendly guy in any game ever" <-- are you talking about the guy who attacks you from behind when you go back to the asylum?
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 am

mugenis4real wrote:^With so many NPC's around will you ever really feel like your in danger? Of course From did make it a point to not have any of the friendly NPC's help you out in a fight unless they were summoned via the WSS.

This also bothers me a great deal. When I draw two big skeletons out of the graveyard and by the bonfire, I expect Laurentius to get off his A$$ and put in a little work. Whenever Ostrava saw me in fight, he would come running over to help. OK sure he usually got himself killed, but at least would try.

NPCs do not necessarily have to be friendly. Just like players there could be both bad and good NPCs. I was just suggesting a more friendly game for players that do not have access to the internet. A game should always be as good offline as it is online.

@Rynoa
    He probably meant Solaire. Hah hah hah. Praise the Sun :white-stone:
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 am

If only I could be so grossly incandescent... Too many NPC's? 4205493335
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:06 am

I want more NPCs...

Oh and romance too...

What? Well What is it
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 am

As much as I loved Demon's Souls minimalism , I don't think more NPC's is a terrible thing, it gives the player more interactment within the world in which they are spending hundreds of hours in.
    Somethodox
    Somethodox

Post by Somethodox Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:19 am

Each area should have at least one NPC. Gives it just that little more character. Plus I want to see just how many unique creepy laughs the voice actors can come up with. Oswald of Carim wins this hands down btw.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 am

too all you guys who think that the lack of NPC's made demons feel dead, that was the point you where the last hope. even the guys you do meet where broken to a degree, dark souls gets someone to help you in every other fight. GREAT for single player, not so good for the atmosphere. in demons we hada guy who had given up, another who had lost all he loved.....and edd. then you go on to meet a few of the people who where the hopes before you, only to realise that they too could only help you so much if at all and then only if they weren't trying to kill you. this games like "hey, your lonely lets just throw happy npc's at you. i miss the challenge in NPC's only onion knight really ever felt challenging
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 am

I think they could afford more npc's given the minimalistic approach the souls games use, these aren't floods of peasants or unrelenting quest givers, they're imperfect, twisted beings who do as much to reflect the world as the enemies within it. They don't follow you place to place or aid you in quests, you have to go to them, and even then everything has its price. Even Solaire the kindest of all Npcs has his own motives for helping you defeat bosses and even then you have to survive the area to reach them.

The souls games could benefit from more lesser characters that give off the impression of rich backgrounds that you may never learn more about than on the day you kill them. Learning their stories by ending them and reminding us just how horrifying and bleak the world truly is by seeing others destroyed by it.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 am

On my previous playthrough, I deliberately fulfilled the conditions for making more or less everyone in Firelink disappear or go Hollow. It was lonely. sad
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:22 pm

none of them are THAT twisted. look at demons souls, you have a power hungry mage, demon worshiping priests, an obsessive apprentice, a corrupted priest and her......friend. an assassin and an assassin's assassin, the mad king and the old king who stayed alive only to protect a sword. and then there's patches XD. im not saying the NPC's suck its just when you make ones as good as the ones from DeS you cant half-*** any more.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Those are npcs who are more corrupted by power, I think Demons souls war more a world corrupted by the power of the demons while dark souls is filled with characters who have slowly lost themselves to time and desperation, they fall to their own weakness.

Few npcs give you a reason to hate them so that when you do kill them you feel as though Lordran is corrupting you as well. This was in DeS as well however it's only end for the npcs in DkS, they die without accomplishing their goals and create a powerful paralleled to your own struggles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:01 am