Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Tolvo
TehInfamousAmos
Rarayn
WyrmHero
RANT
User
Spurgun
ViralEnsign_
BIG TIME MASTER
13 posters

Your ideal fantasy/action game

BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Your ideal fantasy/action game Empty Your ideal fantasy/action game

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Describe it!

I'll describe mine later.

EDIT: Mine-

Take the time to read, you might like it-

My game opens with a scene in hell, which is a labrynth of boiling hot torture rooms filled with awful scenes of the damned being punished by demons. The demons are classical style like you might see in renaissance era churches, horns, tails, etc.

There is no dialogue, and after the short intro that sets the mood for the game you are visually introduced to your character, who is just any other body being mutilated deep within the depths of hell. The story begins when the demon torturing you, without explanation, stops, and lays down his weapon (a cat-o-nine tails) and just stands motionless staring at you.

From this point on you are in game, with no tutorial, no explanation, no dialogue. Kind of like the raw opening of Limbo. You have to figure everything out from here.

After a moment you are going to realize that it is on you, so you pick up the weapon. You can kill the demon or not, doesn't matter. There is no dialogue, just the ambience of infinite souls being tortured. Upon exiting your dungeon, the entire rest of the game is a fight through the labrynth of hell. Most of the game will be in tight, claustrophobic corridors and passageways, and occassionally you will come to a boss room with an especially powerful demon to face.

I want the game world to be large and interconnected, as in DKS, although the entire world is only one area, hell. There are no checkpoints, no saves. Like an old school game, the whole thing is played from start to finish. You can save upon quitting, but when you die you inhabit another souls entirely, and start from the beginning scene.

There is no story given, you are just a damned soul trying to escape, if that is even possible. You don't know, you are just on a blind journey seeing where you can get.

There is no hud, no life bar, nothing kind of aid whatsoever. The wound system is realistic, if you are splayed with a spear or claws you are going to die. The combat takes a control system like DKS, although the weapons are limited to demonic torture devices, no shields, magic, stuff like that. There is not a roll-dodge mechanic, instead a more realistic footwork system where the "dodge" is just you shuffling quickly in your desired direction. The camera sits a bit lower, like eye level, and closer to the character than in DKS, but functions the same. I want the demons to be seen more from the characters perspective so that they seem especially large, powerful, and daunting.

The only items in the game world are weapons. Otherwise you are naked and helpless. The is no multiplayer, this is a purely single player experience, though something like that DKS orange soapstone system and ability to see phantoms might be appropriate here.

At some point in the game a demon that you slay will speak to you. You will learn that he was once a man, and by some great strength he has retained a peice of his humanity throughout all the eons he has been in hell. This is the first spoken word in the game, and maybe it takes place about half way through. It is a powerful moment, the first sign of some kind of direction, and hope...

He tells you his story. He was a priest in an ancient time, long before yours, and his entire life he never questioned his place in the afterlife. He tells of the various good deeds he performed, the people he saved, and as far as you can tell it sounds like he was an utterly holy man. He speculates as to the meaning of his fate, and blesses you on your journey, but does not hold back his doubt about your quest, and his complete lack of belief in any escape or penance available.

From this point on, you realize that your goal is to find your soul. Perhaps with that you can escape your fate, but still you don't know.

The second half of the game from this point needs to increase in difficulty significantly to match the players comfortability with the control scheme and combat mechanics, and now when the player dies he will revert back to this second cutscene, so it is like the second checkpoint.

In the end, you will find out the demon priest was actually the great deciever himself, and that there truly is no salvation for you whatsoever. You will have an epic fight with the Archdemon himself, and I want this boss fight to be the hardest video game fight ever created. I want it to be nearly impossible, so much so that few players will beat him. Upon beating him, you steal his soul and ascend to heaven as an angel, though if he beats you (which he likely will), your soul is back to square one.

The musical score will be something of a heavy metal/horror genre mix, something that conveys absolute doom but also the incredible power of the human spirit against all odds.

Your characters only line in the game will come either upon defeat or victory against the devil, and is going to be the ultimate one liner.

Upon defeat, your dying breath, "...if it takes all eternity..." -Roll the credits and the entire time, amidst depressing music, is the devil cackling and cursing you, describing in horrible detail what is going to happen to you for the rest of eternity.

Upon victory and thrusting your arm into the demons chest (in an epic yell), "Demon! Your soul.....is MINE!" - Roll the credits and a victorious, beautiful melody is joined with soft angelic voices praising your bravery and all the eternal pleasures of heaven that await you.

A couple other minor things I think would make an unforgettable atmosphere:

If hit, your character shrieks terribly, the kind that makes the hair on your neck stand up, and your wife say , "what the hell are you playing?"

Likewise, when you slay demons, they let out blood curtling moans like you haven't heard in a game before. They need to be loud enough to overshadow all the other sounds. Also, I want the bodies to have a lot of weight to them, they hit the ground with a powerful thud and dont bounce around ragdoll-like after.

The combat is the same "one attack at a time, no cancelling an action you already made" type like in DKS, but I want the speed increased a bit to give a more violent feel. Since most the weapons are cruel torture tools that you scavenge, I want the attack patterns to be kind of fast, wild, barbaric flails and thrashes, and your character howls like a wildman when you attack.

When facing an enemy, the game grows silent, save for the sounds of your movement and breathing, and the enemies. I want the character to feel like he is really face to face with the beast and can almost smell em. The only in game music, besides cinematics and boss fights, is post-fights. A tune something like Firelink Shrine that leaves you feeling empty, like the vicious battle you just fought achieved nothing.

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Your ideal fantasy/action game Empty Re: Your ideal fantasy/action game

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I have limited time before work so Ill flesh out the bulk later....

But imagine a remake or a sequel to Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura!

A world with technology and magic in competition, where you can build flamethrowers and telsa guns, or auto axes and reanimators, or where you can summon illusionary beasts and quench the life of your enemies in a single spell.

Its a epic game, albiet a little old and unbalanced....but amazing nonetheless.

You wake up after the Airship you were on was shot down but wierd flying devices, and are told by a dying gnome to seek out the boy and give him the ring.... Well sucks to be you because you new best friend and his old man want believe you to be the reincarnation of Nasrudin and ancient elf wizard.....

Also sucks to be you because an ancient order of assassins seem to be after you to....

Visit Tarant the industrial city of the humans and seek out the inventor of the steam engine, search for a lost dwarven clan in thier ancestoral mines, doscover the cities of the elves and dark elves.... the Quests go on and on!
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Can't describe it. I want a game that will surprise me to no end, a game that will be so prefect that i can't even imagine it silly
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm

I want a game that allows me to do what Oblivion has allowed me to do: invent and grow. Antronach Birthsign, Spell Caster and Inventor, and collection of all 711 Aylied Stones.

Don't screw with me, otherwise you will be paralyzed for about 10 seconds with 20 lightning for 15, with weakness to lightning 100% with fire damage 100 in an area of 10 every 5 seconds ... with 75% weakness to fire to go with it being 3 seconds.

I can go on if you want: Summon Lich with Full Daedra Armour with Shield of 120 to self. Then cast a 175 shield, fire shield, and frost shield to Lich by touch with restore 2 HP for 60, with shields lasting for 45.

Come at me. I dare you.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:...

I want a game that allows me to do what Oblivion has allowed me to do: invent and grow. Antronach Birthsign, Spell Caster and Inventor, and collection of all 711 Aylied Stones.

Don't screw with me, otherwise you will be paralyzed for about 10 seconds with 20 lightning for 15, with weakness to lightning 100% with fire damage 100 in an area of 10 every 5 seconds ... with 75% weakness to fire to go with it being 3 seconds.

I can go on if you want: Summon Lich with Full Daedra Armour with Shield of 120 to self. Then cast a 175 shield, fire shield, and frost shield to Lich by touch with restore 2 HP for 60, with shields lasting for 45.

Come at me. I dare you.

Sounds like you're a math junkie?
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Math Junkie? No.

Love to make things that are very Dragon-Like? Create inventions of a lot of things that lead towards.... I don't know, Super Gandolf.

Also, made it so that I had 95 sneak, 95% chameleon, and Atheltic and Speed to 60 for 60 seconds. Was sneaking and moving like I was sprinting. Vroom...

Whatever you do... do not give a horse Speed and Atheltic of 200... Had to cast on the horse with two different spells.. one of them added a shield of one for a second. DON'T do it!
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Lol, I don't know exactly why, but I am cracking up reading through your post. I am envisioning you like Brad Pitt's character from that movie "Twelve Monkeys".
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

a game like the elder scroll games without the HORRIBLE gameplay, theres this little game that has the perfect gameplay imho, its called demon's souls so i would go with that. last but not least it has to have amazing graphics.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Ya... I played the Mage without the need of cheats... the process of reaching those goals was always special.

I think I want a survival game like Zombies, except not with Zombies... something a little more horrifying. Game requiring teamwork, use of tools and environment, and other things... and the enemies are designed to adapt to counter every technique, making the group try to survive by using different techniques in order to make sure their adaption does not overwhelm them, as they have almost infinite numbers.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:Ya... I played the Mage without the need of cheats... the process of reaching those goals was always special.

I think I want a survival game like Zombies, except not with Zombies... something a little more horrifying. Game requiring teamwork, use of tools and environment, and other things... and the enemies are designed to adapt to counter every technique, making the group try to survive by using different techniques in order to make sure their adaption does not overwhelm them, as they have almost infinite numbers.

you should check out the monster hunter games, the ones on psp specially. the wii versions were too easy.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Monster Hunter... sounds familiar.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:31 pm

theyre awesome, theres tons of vids on youtube which should give you an idea of what its about.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Skyrim + combat of DkS + beautiful graphics of Final Fantasy. In this game backstabs can only work on stealth mode. Combat is in third person. Eidolons (summons) exist in this game as a school of magic. Improved PvP of DkS with servers to reduce lag. It has 1080p graphics (FF's Crystal Engine or Frostbite 2, something epic).
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm

ViralEnsign_ wrote:I have limited time before work so Ill flesh out the bulk later....

A world with technology and magic in competition, where you can build flamethrowers and telsa guns, or auto axes and reanimators, or where you can summon illusionary beasts and quench the life of your enemies in a single spell.

You wake up after the Airship you were on was shot down but wierd flying devices, and are told by a dying gnome to seek out the boy and give him the ring.... Well sucks to be you because you new best friend and his old man want believe you to be the reincarnation of Nasrudin and ancient elf wizard.....

Also sucks to be you because an ancient order of assassins seem to be after you to....

Visit Tarant the industrial city of the humans and seek out the inventor of the steam engine, search for a lost dwarven clan in thier ancestoral mines, doscover the cities of the elves and dark elves.... the Quests go on and on!
    Now this is a rare sight indeed, another Arcanum fan! I frigging loved that game. One of my best RPG experiences ever. With the unofficial patch, it's pretty much perfect in every way imaginable.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 pm

WyrmHero wrote:Skyrim + combat of DkS + beautiful graphics of Final Fantasy. In this game backstabs can only work on stealth mode. Combat is in third person. Eidolons (summons) exist in this game as a school of magic. Improved PvP of DkS with servers to reduce lag. It has 1080p graphics (FF's Crystal Engine or Frostbite 2, something epic).

pretty much what i was gonna say but im too lazy so i just went with something basic.

edit' no summons though, i picture them op as hell. that's what i get for skimmin posts.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, I lack the vocabulary to describe my ideal fantasy game.

(Joke Part)
    Screw it - lets make this game IRL, RANT COME THE F'CK AT ME WITH THAT DGM YOU JUST PRINTED OUT OF YOUR 3D PRINTER. OH YOUR KATANAS WON'T BE SO EFFECTIVE AT PUSHLOCKING ME IRL xD
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 pm

They would work like Pursuers, very slow cast, high Att slots required and very low castings or high MP consumption. I think # of castings is genius.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm

A large wide open world fantasy game, with an extreme horror feel. Think about it like having the dark world from Silent Hill, but that is the entire planet. Multiply the disturbing and scary aspects by 100, bigger than Skyrim, more depth than Dark Souls. I'd probably never stop playing it. I might even like it to be like an MMO, but more so a persistent online world. So only a few players in the world at a time, friendly fire. You get rewards for killing each other or working together. Random world spawns. When you log off your character sleeps where you were, so you can be killed while you sleep. You cannot be on for too long as your character needs to sleep.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:Well, I lack the vocabulary to describe my ideal fantasy game.

(Joke Part)
    Screw it - lets make this game IRL, RANT COME THE F'CK AT ME WITH THAT DGM YOU JUST PRINTED OUT OF YOUR 3D PRINTER. OH YOUR KATANAS WON'T BE SO EFFECTIVE AT PUSHLOCKING ME IRL xD

We souls get that guy that makes the paper weapons(where are you damn?!) And have a massive invasion in central park, IT WILL BE EPIC!!!
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 pm

My ideal game would be something with similar combat to Dark Souls, as well as a similar way of finding and upgrading items. However, I would want a ton more items so that even after hundreds of hours you would still be able to discover new things. I also like to have co-op in my games in order to play with friends. Lastly, I really like games that employ skills and skill trees, but it has a ton of skills and leveling is rather easy, so you're just constantly filling your skill tree
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 am

Rarayn wrote:
    ViralEnsign_ wrote:I have limited time before work so Ill flesh out the bulk later....

Now this is a rare sight indeed, another Arcanum fan! I frigging loved that game. One of my best RPG experiences ever. With the unofficial patch, it's pretty much perfect in every way imaginable.
    Which patch is that? And what does it do?

I love the game so much but I can never decide which technology disicplines to pick....

I either run Gunslinger with Gunsmithy and Electrical

a Technomancer using Tesla Rod, Electric, Explosives and Mechanical

or Gideon my somewhat dislocated Plainswalker with Conveyance and Illusion.
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:
    Rarayn wrote:

Which patch is that? And what does it do?

I love the game so much but I can never decide which technology disicplines to pick....

I either run Gunslinger with Gunsmithy and Electrical

a Technomancer using Tesla Rod, Electric, Explosives and Mechanical

or Gideon my somewhat dislocated Plainswalker with Conveyance and Illusion.
    I ended up just going with a boring "Death Knight" build myself. Swords+Black Necromancy are kind of overpowered sometimes. Always been meaning to go back and do a run as a Technology-oriented character though. (If only I didn't need all the bullets in Tarant to kill a single golem in the mines!)

Here's the unofficial patch: http://terra-arcanum.com/drog/dest/uap.html (Scroll down for changelog)
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:29 am

I want a game with the atmosphere of Fable: TLC. So pretty much a dark atmosphere, although perhaps a little bit more serious than Fable: TLC. A big open world for you to explore, and with multiplayer interaction as well. So quite possibly a MMORPG. Great customization, as well as several races to choose from, like humans, demons and so on. Each with their own dis/advantages and storylines, all of which has several endings. You could select a story for your character, which would change what equipment would be used in combination with your class. The game would have a very, and i mean very dark theme and atmosphere, and you could never really trust anyone. The game would have a medieval setting with no guns of any kind.

It's kinda hard thinking of what exactly it would be like, so i might come back and edit this post later on, but right now that's all i can think of.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:44 am

I want Earth (or america, or even a single city), except as a game but obviously more fantasy like. Something where you can sit your character down and watch nations go to war, watch technology develop. Or you can take an active role and shape the world through your actions. I dont want to have to be somewhere for events to happen, I want my presence to be an action itself.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 am

Also i want the zombie game my friends and I designed. Where there was a story for every country. In American you had to gather survivors and rebuild, in Africa you had to lead your tribe around the country avoiding the zombies. A bite = death. Each area had uniqure tech too. In america you had your guns and combat was about range. In Africa you had spears. You could choose to kite and use your spears to pick them off, or you could risk melee range and take them out close up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am