Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
steveswede
User1
Acarnatia
7 posters

What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game?

Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game? Empty What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game?

Post by Acarnatia Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I have an idea that From can make a 'generic high fantasy' game using the basic system and atmosphere of the Souls games. By generic, I mean the overdone setting with elves, dwarves humans and so on in a world Midieval/Renaissance-technology and art-styled world where at least low level magic is common. Imagine that with the signature traits from the Souls games, (that don't inherently interfere) including the difficulty, combat system, leveling system, magic system, weapons, extremely dark setting, black and grey/grey and grey morality, and Patches. Add in races, a much broader selection of spells, more npcs and populated areas (while still keeping the unpleasant, near or actually crapsack world or city noir) and so on.
    This isn't necessarily something I even want FromSoft to do. It's just an idea that occurred to me that I think may have potential and I'm curious as to what other people think. So, do you think this idea can make a great game? And if it did or was going to exist, what things would you want in it?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game? Empty Re: What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game?

Post by User1 Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:53 pm

I would definitely want a game like this. And in a way, I don't. There's a chance that From could mess it all up, and then, it just wouldn't be the same.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game? Empty Re: What do you think of a Souls-styled generic high fantasy game?

Post by Acarnatia Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 pm

That's exactly why I'm uncertain that I want this. I'm just putting the idea out here.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Acarnatia wrote:I have an idea that From can make a 'generic high fantasy' game using the basic system and atmosphere of the Souls games. By generic, I mean the overdone setting with elves, dwarves humans and so on in a world Midieval/Renaissance-technology and art-styled world where at least low level magic is common. Imagine that with the signature traits from the Souls games, (that don't inherently interfere) including the difficulty, combat system, leveling system, magic system, weapons, extremely dark setting, black and grey/grey and grey morality, and Patches. Add in races, a much broader selection of spells, more npcs and populated areas (while still keeping the unpleasant, near or actually crapsack world or city noir) and so on.
    This isn't necessarily something I even want FromSoft to do. It's just an idea that occurred to me that I think may have potential and I'm curious as to what other people think. So, do you think this idea can make a great game? And if it did or was going to exist, what things would you want in it?

The problem with doing this is the fact that everyone else has done it, it's been done to death and with no one really pushing the genre in new and bold directions is making the genre extremely stale (except From Software which is why the Souls series is such a breath of fresh air in RPG's). It's one of the biggest arguments over MMORPG's with almost everyone wanting to be that WoW killer game so they just do exactly what they do. Kinda like the FPS genre, everyone wanting to be that COD killer so they do that exact thing, even take old franchises and put them on a FPS which is technically the suggestion of taking Dark Souls franchise and put it on a MMORPG. (Yes I know Dark Souls is technically an MMORPG but the MMORPG genre has evolved to a point where the gameplay is very specific that Dark Souls doesn't share).
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I would be down. Kinda like kingdoms of amalurs evil twin.

As long as the setting is believable, it isn't something I value for more than its impact on the story. By itself, setting is worthless. So, especially if the easier to do "generic fantasy" setting saved time and money to be spent creating a better story/combat/ect I would be happy to see it, so long as it was not detrimental to the production of other games with more exotic settings, as the exotic settings provide new story/combat potential.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I actually want to see the exact opposite. A Souls formula game that sticks to realism in a medieval setting.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:50 pm

It would be interesting.. It would never be as hard as souls or anywhere near as atmospheric due to one key thing- in games like you describe, the world is overrun with people, quite the opposite if the lonely dark and endless struggle a souls game represents.

Still I could see a game like this being pretty good, but unsure as to whether it would be as hard or atmospheric..

Then again the stories from have written aren't that great, and high fantasy relies on good story.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 pm

You could be a stranger in a foreign land, and they are speaking an unknown language.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:You could be a stranger in a foreign land, and they are speaking an unknown language.

How would you take on quests then?
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm

By your own will.

Aren't we all tired of doing other peoples bidding anyways in games?

Perhaps you are given a little backstory and some motivation, and from there you are on your own to seek out a resolution.

Like your tribe has sent you to find some fabled cure to save someone in the village. Or you are a pilgrim making a pilgrimage, and your only goal is to get to the holy land. There's so many ways to make a simple story that could be full of emotion, without an elaborate plot or lengthy character cast.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:50 pm

If the language was kept intentionally simple, it could become a really fun thing to try and figure the language out. It would be a new aspect for lore hunters.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:00 pm

This game should just take place in the human's world.

I would really love this, or anything similar to it: generic fantasy RPG elements with Dark Souls melee combat? Yes please. I'm inclined to say this might be something similar to what Miyazaki is currently, or will be, working on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:49 am