Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Knight Alundil
BIG TIME MASTER
DancingFood
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Tolvo
FruitPunchNinja
PlasticandRage
Nybbles
Kerberos-013
13 posters

Pictures of Real Armor from France

Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Pictures of Real Armor from France Empty Pictures of Real Armor from France

Post by Kerberos-013 Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Greeting fellow knights, I wanted to share some pictures I took recently from a trip to visit my sister in France.

Link to my photobucket: Armor from France

Enjoy!

Pictures of Real Armor from France 639795459

Here's some samples,

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0522

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0529

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0483

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0506

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0496

Last edited by Kerberos-013 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Pictures of Real Armor from France Empty Re: Pictures of Real Armor from France

Post by Nybbles Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 pm

that pic of the horseman with full barding is bad a**
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm

A couple of those really look like the Fluted set from DeS
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 pm

People have mentioned this in the forum before, but the Helm of the wise is actually based on a real life helm.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

These photos show exactly why slash attacks should deal zero damage to a character if they are wearing armor. silly

Nice shots man.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Well it all depends on what kind of slash you mean. You could slash with an axe or a halberd and it would still probably severely injure a person in armor like that. Even if it didn't penetrate the armor, if you're wearing armor like that and it gets a deep dent in it that metal is going to compress against whatever area of your body it hits. That's no joke. It can also bend and break creating sharp edges of it's own that could lacerate human skin pretty severely. The human body is a pretty delicate thing. Especially when you're talking about swinging big metal things at it.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

whaaa plastic

Pictures of Real Armor from France Holy-Grail-Reissue-HD-Stark-Insider

Flesh wounds, just flesh wounds....
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:12 am

Let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:24 am

PlasticandRage wrote:A couple of those really look like the Fluted set from DeS

Was gonna say the exact same thing, but then I didn't need to because you'd already said it. silly
    DancingFood
    DancingFood

Post by DancingFood Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 am

FruitPunchNinja wrote:People have mentioned this in the forum before, but the Helm of the wise is actually based on a real life helm.

Worn by none less than Henry VIII

Pictures of Real Armor from France 154675
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-artifacts-that-will-shatter-your-image-middle-ages/
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 am

I'm always surprised at how small people used to be back in the armor wearing days. It's like they were all children! Nonetheless, I am also always surprised out how strong (or at least tough) they must have been to fight wearing such heavy crap.

About the axes and slashing comment from the Honorable PlasticandRage- the beauty of the axe, and why some consider it the most effective hand to hand fighting weapon ever invented, is that it turns the natural primate instinct to swing into the power of a thrust. It is true that you can cut a man hundreds of times but a three inch puncture into the chest area will kill him. With the axe you can still swing in keeping with your primate nature but the blow you deliver is in the form of a puncture wound, and a really wide one too!

Also, adding to your comment, maces were designed to inflict the kind of damage you mentioned. If they didn't outright smash your bones or organs, their weight and design would mangle the armor. Imagine trying to fight or run with a bent peice of metal gouging into your side. No fun at all.

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:03 am

Ya know it just occurred to me that you could totally do a Pythonian Arthur build in DkS. Gwyn's crown, Solaire's chest piece, then maybe the favor set arms and leggings? Top it off with a sunlight SS maybe?

Too bad we couldn't give it a freakin BEARD From!
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:08 am

Ooh Ooh Ooh!

Imagine an editor that allowed you to create your own armors for in game use within a set of given parameters? Like you are given so many points that you can alott to different aspects of defense, so as to keep it balanced. You would be given hundreds of shapes and textures to build from so that your armor could be very unique to yourself. How cool would that be?

Last edited by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 am

I'd be happy with just a color editor. I wouldn't think it'd be too complicated for them to pull off either. Especially if they just gave us a selection of present colors along with an intended color for each piece.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:I'd be happy with just a color editor. I wouldn't think it'd be too complicated for them to pull off either. Especially if they just gave us a selection of present colors along with an intended color for each piece.

something like the colour editor in Borderlands would be sweet … nice and simple really … also beards.
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:28 pm

One of the reasons I love Dark Souls so much is how most of the armor is based on real world craftsmanship. Just like the amazing architecture in the levels, it gives the game world real weight and realism that I can feel.

BTW, almost all the armor I took pics of are 14th-16th century. This was just before armor became obsolete to firearms. The most common sword of the time would be a rapier or thrusting type sword. With attackers trying to stab in between the plates. From what I have read, some of the most effective weapons against this type of plate was a warhammer's spike or a mace.

I am fascinated by middle age armor and weapons. I am in the process of putting together my own suit of plate armor. Here is what I have so far, and it's real 16 gauge steel. The Close Helm, chest/back plate, and pauldrons are all from different shops.

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_20111030_005304
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 pm

How do you get the helmet on? I've always wondered about that. It's got to open up and then close around your head right?
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:I'm always surprised at how small people used to be back in the armor wearing days. It's like they were all children! Nonetheless, I am also always surprised out how strong (or at least tough) they must have been to fight wearing such heavy crap.

It is very surprising! In the whole museum, there might have been only 1-2 sets of armor that were 6 foot tall. I'm 5'10" and most of the armor sets felt tiny to me. The armor sets mounted on horse back looked gigantic, must have been very intimidating to see a knight in full plate on horseback. Run!!!
    Kerberos-013
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Kerberos-013 Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:46 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:How do you get the helmet on? I've always wondered about that. It's got to open up and then close around your head right?

Yes exactly, this is called a Close Helm because it completely closes around the entire head. Made up of 4 separate pieces. The top visor would only be used for jousting, otherwise it would be raised so you can see.

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_0669
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm

If you guys are interested in this kind of thing theres a museum near me that dedicated to this kind of stuff and I'm in scotland so it's caledonian stuff.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:08 pm

You can't really see out of it when the visor is down? Or does it just kill your peripherals?
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 pm

The Tower of London also has some great collections of weapons and armor. It has been a while since I was last there, but I remember some great displays of claymores and flamberges. At the time, we were told that some suits of armor were display models even back in their day, in other words they were made to showcase the forger's talents and were 8/10ths scale or the like. They survived because nobody actually wore them, which in turn gave future generations the impression that everyone used to be much shorter.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:10 pm

^Well they usedkyoto be a lot stronger...
    An average chain mail set would weight around ~75 kilograms so...poor horses.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Kerberos-013 wrote:One of the reasons I love Dark Souls so much is how most of the armor is based on real world craftsmanship. Just like the amazing architecture in the levels, it gives the game world real weight and realism that I can feel.

BTW, almost all the armor I took pics of are 14th-16th century. This was just before armor became obsolete to firearms. The most common sword of the time would be a rapier or thrusting type sword. With attackers trying to stab in between the plates. From what I have read, some of the most effective weapons against this type of plate was a warhammer's spike or a mace.

I am fascinated by middle age armor and weapons. I am in the process of putting together my own suit of plate armor. Here is what I have so far, and it's real 16 gauge steel. The Close Helm, chest/back plate, and pauldrons are all from different shops.

Pictures of Real Armor from France IMG_20111030_005304

Ever seen that King of the Hill episode where Dale gets a suit of armor and terrorizes the neighborhood until Bill fashions his own from trash cans and challenges him?
    Rarayn
    Rarayn
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rarayn Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Kerberos-013 wrote:One of the reasons I love Dark Souls so much is how most of the armor is based on real world craftsmanship. Just like the amazing architecture in the levels, it gives the game world real weight and realism that I can feel.

That's a cool armour set. What's the poise though?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 pm