Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Hue
Serious_Much
Mr. Tart
MosquitoPower
Oh_the_Humanity
Acarnatia
Forum Pirate
Slarg232
Soris Ice Goldwing
The Letter X
XachAttack
Spurgun
Jansports
Saturday-Saint
vereornox
Djem
Sloth9230
Buggy Virus
RANT
messremb
tinypantha
25 posters

Armor: Gender

tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Armor: Gender - Page 3 Empty Re: Armor: Gender

Post by tinypantha Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 pm

goodie trail nuff sed
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 pm

The Letter X wrote:I'm pretty sure you mean how the thief set works currently. I'd like it if all armor sets had those small variations between male and female.

they do?
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 pm

mhmm female has caplet dat sexy caplet
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    The Letter X wrote:I'm pretty sure you mean how the thief set works currently. I'd like it if all armor sets had those small variations between male and female.

they do?

The mask and torso pieces show the most. The mask is both a hood and mask for males while it is only a mask for females. The torso is a bit darker and has a different backpiece for females.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Acarnatia wrote:Except that real armor for women wasn't that different from mens. Armor was armor. Dark is pretty accurate about most of it's armor sets.
    I really hope gender stays purely aesthetical. (or perhaps an altered word here or there in npc's speech)
    I don't want it very different, just a bit. Like the difference with small to fat players.

The gender specific sets would be the special sets like orinstines or the antiqued dress, made specifically for the individual, thus unsuitable for the opposite gender due to larger difference in body type.

I agree with Acarnatia on this. After all that goes on under armor, you wouldn't see a real, "slimming" difference. The only difference would really be height, which dark souls already does.

And on body types. . . dark souls also already does that. I think dark souls could get some better body types to use.

But generally, adding specific looks for armors for females just adds this strange vibe that females would have extra armors. Why? I guess for a little bit of sexualization, which really doesn't make sense in the slightest for Dark Souls, which almost ignores gender completely.

On making them look drastically different for males and females, like the antiquated set.

Why not just put in both armors?
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 pm

^ what Buggy said. Just make an entirely different armor set so BOTH genders can look that way. I personally like (certain) slim things on males.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 pm

I dont know if I quite understand this post. Dark Souls did a great job of this. All the starting class armors ARE different between male and female. The same way the thiefs armor is different, they all are like that, just very subtle. When it comes to actual armor like the stone set or anything plated, (except the starting knight set which IS different between male and female) they would not be gender specific. Like someone mentioned earlier in this post "armor is armor" They didnt make it gender specific.
    So when it comes to Dark Souls 2 having gender specific armor, I believe they will stick to what they've been doing. They'll most likely have both. Some like the antiquated dress which is obviously foe females, but males can where it if they want to (which is great) and some will be unisex, like the elite knight set. Hopefully they will expand on this and come up with some new aspect to armor and how its worn or effects the player.
    I do want to see them separate boots from pants, add a necklace/pendant slot, and even have options for armor, like hood on or off. Things like that.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 am

It was done in demons and it looked fine. Thats what I'm talking about. Plate would look the same either way, but scale (chain, leather, most robes) would look different. (scale needs to come back btw) but the executioners armor was made specifically for miranda, gold armor for that other chick, old king dorans specifically for doran, so they wouldn't fit the opposite gender. (realisticaly they'd be body type exclusive but thats going to far imo)
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 am

Forum Pirate wrote:It was done in demons and it looked fine. Thats what I'm talking about. Plate would look the same either way, but scale (chain, leather, most robes) would look different. (scale needs to come back btw) but the executioners armor was made specifically for miranda, gold armor for that other chick, old king dorans specifically for doran, so they wouldn't fit the opposite gender. (realisticaly they'd be body type exclusive but thats going to far imo)

Body type exclusive would be funny. Imagine if Smough's armor was gender specific, and if you put it om a skinny person it would just hang off you and drag on the ground.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 am

To balance body type specific armor would be incredibly time consuming though, unless there were just a few sets. It could be cool, (though I can see people disagreeing) but it would have to be entirely superficial (ie nearly identical sets stat wise exsist for the other body types as well) or you start limiting things in a way that doesn't add to the gameplay, which is a bad idea.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am

The one thing that bugged me the most about gender specific armors in Demon's? The Silver Braclet :evil:

If gender exclusive armors come back(which I'm fine with), then I don't want any of that cr*p!

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 am

Forum Pirate wrote:To balance body type specific armor would be incredibly time consuming though, unless there were just a few sets. It could be cool, (though I can see people disagreeing) but it would have to be entirely superficial (ie nearly identical sets stat wise exsist for the other body types as well) or you start limiting things in a way that doesn't add to the gameplay, which is a bad idea.

exactly, or in other words they way it is in DkS.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:38 am

In dks its not limiting except for the silver bracelet. Mirandas is a bit heavier than dorans, but the defense is about the same and my female faith build who used 2 heavy weapons and a great shield still didn't have a problem with equipment burden.

EDIT: thinking about it, its possible I misunderstood your post. Not sure.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 am

Now for an idea that falls in the middle...

Through the course of the game you find one "Manly" and one "Girly" set of all the armors. No difference except for the looks.

That way we can have all 4 combinations:
    -Battle hardened warrior women.
    -Gwyndolin type guys that like to accessorize.
    -Girly Girls.
    -Manly Men.

Whats not to like? More options, more variety, no extra work for the programmers.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 am

I could agree as long as it's not something like in Dark Souls with the female thief mask for example. The male had a hood and a mask, while the female only had a mask. Or the wanderer set, in which the female had some kind of fur around the neck. I want that damn fur! :x
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 am

Venerable Sage and Saint sets could have been the male equivalent to the Dingy and Mainden sets... I miss them pants sad

MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 am

Mr. Tart wrote:I could agree as long as it's not something like in Dark Souls with the female thief mask for example. The male had a hood and a mask, while the female only had a mask. Or the wanderer set, in which the female had some kind of fur around the neck. I want that damn fur! :x

How about the outrage that is the Pharis hat!
    Guys get this great Robin hood hat :pharis: ,
    Girls are stuck with a loaf of bread on their head.

Its so not fair for my archer lady character!

Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:22 am

Ha, didn't even realize that one was different for females. Never played as one, so i couldn't possibly have known. You see my point though! That's exactly what i hate. 🇳🇴
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 am

I'd love for female variants of armour to come back, or like in demons souls some sets change when women put them on.

I think it would be nice to have some male-only and female only armours as it mixes up what you can do with a character, their look, stats, roleplay wise (if you're into that kinda thing), and to me most importantly it will INCREASE VARIATION IN PVP, which i'm sure everyone is completely gagging for.

I do next game want lots and lots more weapons that are pvp viable, rather than having the excelling few. I mean sure have some weapons worse than others, but the pool of weapons at the top of the pile needs to be larger in my opinion.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am

MosquitoPower wrote:Now for an idea that falls in the middle...

Through the course of the game you find one "Manly" and one "Girly" set of all the armors. No difference except for the looks.

That way we can have all 4 combinations:
    -Battle hardened warrior women.
    -Gwyndolin type guys that like to accessorize.
    -Girly Girls.
    -Manly Men.

Whats not to like? More options, more variety, no extra work for the programmers.

Seconded, i'd really like to see a male version of the Painting Guardian, or Gold Hemmed Black sets.
    Or female version of Shadow and Ornstein's
    messremb
    Regular
    Regular

Post by messremb Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:26 am

How about letting us customize our armors a little bit? Nothing crazy here, just the ability to make little tweaks. Using the Giant's, Painting Guardian, and Chain for examples here you could have the option of removing cape (Giant's), tattering it up a bit, or lightening/darkening it. With the PG you could have an option to remove the hair braid, or change its color to match your hair. With Chain, maybe we could get a few options of a overcloth or standard (or whatever its called), possibly even cloths that tout your covenant affiliation? I don't know, just throwing out random **** here! I already said i'd be perfectly fine if they kept it the status quo from DkS, instead of going back to DeS way of some gender-specific armors.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:45 am

messremb wrote:How about letting us customize our armors a little bit? Nothing crazy here, just the ability to make little tweaks. Using the Giant's, Painting Guardian, and Chain for examples here you could have the option of removing cape (Giant's), tattering it up a bit, or lightening/darkening it. With the PG you could have an option to remove the hair braid, or change its color to match your hair. With Chain, maybe we could get a few options of a overcloth or standard (or whatever its called), possibly even cloths that tout your covenant affiliation? I don't know, just throwing out random **** here! I already said i'd be perfectly fine if they kept it the status quo from DkS, instead of going back to DeS way of some gender-specific armors.

I'm of the personal belief that from actually like trolling us with armours. The ones with the best stats or have best abilities will always look horrible or just plain stupid. It kinda says to me that if you want your character to look cool, you got to make sacrifices and man the hell up with your skills.. which is actually what the whole game is about to be fair.

I think that we don't necessarily need gender specific, but subtle differences between male and female versions of armour would be nice, after all when you've got a suit of armour on in dark souls everyone looks the same, kinda ruins the whole point of character customisation.
    MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MosquitoPower Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Serious_Much wrote:...after all when you've got a suit of armour on in dark souls everyone looks the same, kinda ruins the whole point of character customisation.

I totally agree,

I think at a very minimum there should be an option in Dark Souls 2 to have your helmet visor up or down. Dark souls 1 has so few pieces of headgear that show the players face or hair....

...Hehe I know that keeping your face/head covered is sort of the point with helmets in real life... but this is dark fantasy! I want more options! =P
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:32 pm

My favourite option would be invisible helmets, but then again the whole point of helmet is sacrificing looks of your toon for more defences.

As we all know, every little detail is a trade off in dark souls, sometimes i think FROM are just a little too thorough.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Serious_Much wrote:My favourite option would be invisible helmets, but then again the whole point of helmet is sacrificing looks of your toon for more defences.

As we all know, every little detail is a trade off in dark souls, sometimes i think FROM are just a little too thorough.

The whole point of the Xanthus head was sacrificing your view of the game for impeccable style.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:31 am