Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
befowler
martyrsbrigade99
vatar5
Sentiel
Glutebrah
Carphil
Ashran
Aznul
Forum Pirate
WyrmHero
RANT
Ghadis_God
Murdeaulio
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
lextune
reim0027
ChizFreak
Baal-Avatar
The Letter X
Tolvo
Sloth9230
Emergence
Rifter7
EeAyEss
28 posters

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 2 Empty Re: WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

Post by ChizFreak Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Baal-Avatar wrote:
    EeAyEss wrote:

I've been building up a claymore to use, it's +10 now.
    You have a point. I often switched to my SKS to fight katanas, but like I stated in my rant, I don't like "falling back" on a spear to fight. It feels like a crutch, even though(to me) spears are counters to katanas. Going into a fight with my SKS out is ok, but sometimes I feel like I cheesed my opponent out using the range. Not a good feeling. silly

That is fare and everyone needs to create their own set of guidelines for when they PVP. I used to keep a spear on me as back-up all the time. Then I realized that as soon as I started not doing well in a fight I would pull it out for the easy win. I would just say experiment with different weapons. This is my own personal opinion, and I know some people are great with the weapon, but the Dark Sword is a difficult weapon to master. If this is for a toon around level 50 or 100 just send me a friend request and I can help you out with some weapons. That may be all it takes.

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 2 3149687655

I don't use my Spear for the easy win, I use it because I know I'm good at using it silly. Actually last night I always had the Chaos Blade equipped on purpose to trick people and then quickly change to it once they get aggressive, or if see they are trying to outrange me. After a few fights the trick was of no use so I stick with it from the start.

Why everyone despise Spears and it's users as "tryhards"? I mean it seems you see these people as guys that go for the easy win. So, using the Gold Tracer, using Pursuers, casting Crystal Soul Spear, using Wrath of Gods, spamming R1 with the Falchion 2-handed (it came before the Gold Tracer)? Every weapon has a counter.

People just seems to hate when they see something seems easy to use and delivers "unfair" wins to their eyes.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm

I am good with a spear. Well, moderately, but wins just feel too easy when I use the spear. Maybe I need to join a fight club besides the Russian Roulette... lol
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Then I"m glad you changed over to your falchion when we duelled. Your spear would have slaughtered me.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

If they press R1 more than once in a row it is pretty much an auto-parry....

....just saying.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm

I need to work on my parrying skills then. silly That is a downside, thanks for reminding me. I would have listed that, but it seems that most people who use it know what they are doing and swing then roll away. All the more to add to my rage. lol

Once again, I need to join a fight club or just get someone to practice with me. Baal, you good with my lvl 120? haha
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 pm

personally i find katana's weak.. but i usually use mid to heavy armor with high slash resist, seriously against a tank curved swords always seem to do better despite having the same damage type because of their superior speed and deadangle ability. i don't even like how katana's look or handle, it just makes so little sense to bash a "delicate weapon" into the ground with every other swing...
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Baal-Avatar wrote:
    EeAyEss wrote:

You have a point. I often switched to my SKS to fight katanas, but like I stated in my rant, I don't like "falling back" on a spear to fight. It feels like a crutch, even though(to me) spears are counters to katanas. Going into a fight with my SKS out is ok, but sometimes I feel like I cheesed my opponent out using the range. Not a good feeling. silly

That is fare and everyone needs to create their own set of guidelines for when they PVP. I used to keep a spear on me as back-up all the time. Then I realized that as soon as I started not doing well in a fight I would pull it out for the easy win. I would just say experiment with different weapons. This is my own personal opinion, and I know some people are great with the weapon, but the Dark Sword is a difficult weapon to master. If this is for a toon around level 50 or 100 just send me a friend request and I can help you out with some weapons. That may be all it takes.

I don't use my Spear for the easy win, I use it because I know I'm good at using it silly. Actually last night I always had the Chaos Blade equipped on purpose to trick people and then quickly change to it once they get aggressive, or if see they are trying to outrange me. After a few fights the trick was of no use so I stick with it from the start.

Why everyone despise Spears and it's users as "tryhards"? I mean it seems you see these people as guys that go for the easy win. So, using the Gold Tracer, using Pursuers, casting Crystal Soul Spear, using Wrath of Gods, spamming R1 with the Falchion 2-handed (it came before the Gold Tracer)? Every weapon has a counter.

People just seems to hate when they see something is seems easy to use.

Haha... I was not referring to you, but it sounds like someone might have a slightly guilty conscience. I was just stating a fact that everyone needs to figure out how they want to play and what weapons work best for them.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Baal-Avatar wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:
    Baal-Avatar wrote:
    EeAyEss wrote:

People just seems to hate when they see something is seems easy to use.

Haha... I was not referring to you, but it sounds like someone might have a slightly guilty conscience. I was just stating a fact that everyone needs to figure out how they want to play.

Actually last night after I killed you with the Spear you said "Why most people change to a spear when they start losing silly?" Which someone answered: "I noticed that too, Baal."

I just combined your comment with your post in this thread to make an assumption of what you think.
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Actually last night after I killed you with the Spear you said "Why most people change to a spear when they start losing silly?" Which someone answered: "I noticed that too, Baal."

I think that is the case and that is how I used it in the past also. Spears are great. I used to love my Pike. My comment to him was that he needs to finds what works for him. As simple as that.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

[quote="ChizFreak"][quote="Baal-Avatar"][quote="EeAyEss"]

You have a point. I often switched to my SKS to fight katanas, but like I stated in my rant, I don't like "falling back" on a spear to fight. It feels like a crutch, even though(to me) spears are counters to katanas. Going into a fight with my SKS out is ok, but sometimes I feel like I cheesed my opponent out using the range. Not a good feeling. silly[/quote]

[img]https://2img.net/u/3116/20/11/10/smiles/3149687655.png[/img] [/quote]

People just seems to hate when they see something seems easy to use and delivers "unfair" wins to their eyes.[/quote]

I don't consider spears to be "tryhard weapons." I just don't like using them too much. It feels too easy. I do my best to not poke n' roll, but I medium roll anyway silly

And the reason I lose often to katanas is I medium roll. The good people see that roll then swing at the end of my roll. It's irritating. Especially with the washing pole... arg. lol
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 pm

also, how do I get quotes to work properly? silly
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:25 pm

EeAyEss wrote:And the reason I lose often to katanas is I medium roll. The good people see that roll then swing at the end of my roll. It's irritating. Especially with the washing pole... arg. lol

Well, to put this topic to bed. You'll get it in time and you just need to find out what works for you. Hit me up on PSN and I will help you with some gear.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Medium roll is completely viable, a bit harder to use than fast roll, but it works exactly the same, you can dodge anything.

Now fat-rolling, that's when you actually CAN'T dodge certain things.

You shouldn't roll unless they attack or you're trying somekind of attack movement. If you roll without reason because they haven't attacked they still have time to get close to you and try an attack the moment you get up, still if you someone tries that, just do ANOTHER roll following the other. A shield helps too.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks Baal. Is your forum name the same as your psn? If that's the case, see you soon. Thanks everyone for your input. I feel better now, and I've calmed down. Thanks for letting me rant!
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Aye, chiz, and I love medium roll. I do it on all my builds. Recovery times though, they bite me in the ***.
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:34 pm

EeAyEss wrote:Thanks Baal. Is your forum name the same as your psn? If that's the case, see you soon. Thanks everyone for your input. I feel better now, and I've calmed down. Thanks for letting me rant!

Yeah, it is the same.
    Murdeaulio
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Murdeaulio Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Poise up, grab a claymore. That is all
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Katanas are weak. Either trade hits with them, or predict their attack and hit them as they're closing the distance to use their low range. They're also some of the more predictable weapons to parry against all but the best users. If they spam the dash attack, roll bs it. It's an intimidating attack, but not that hard to punish.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 pm

med roll is very viable but against fast weapon you either have to bkeep your shield up or have a weapo that stuns easily. back on topic, yeah katanas really have no weaknesses that i know off, theyre fast(too fast), have rediculous phantom range and can dead agnle with the damn phantom range too. which is why EVERYONE uses them which makes dark souls pvp very boring, all the streamerss are not helping with variety either. sucks that eveyone alwayss uses one weapons over all the other that are more fun.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am

EeAyEss wrote:I do. The character I was just playing as, I have a 2 +14 pgc's, a enchanted falchion +4, a darksword +15, a greataxe +15, a SKS +5, the works. I carry a well-stocked inventory, because I'm a quality build. I'll go ahead and post what my build...
    http://mmdks.com/rbw

EDIT:my bad, I didn't list my spells and equips...

Katanas aren't as bad as you say, but fighting vs 1 with this build.... I understand your rant lol.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:25 am

1: *katana. No "s."

2: people do seem to hate anything thats easy to use (and so, common) but there is nothing actually cheap about it. Its not a system exploit, its doing what works.

3: I have more trouble with katana using a spear. I'm more likely to win if I'm using a dgm or zweihander, as I'm going to win the r1 spam poise break race every time and I severely out range them.

4: again, nothing wrong with wanting to win. Its common because its great.

Final: Getting worked up only harms your experience. I've found that accepting that people have fun in different ways and focusing on how I can have fun, instead of how they're ruining it, is much more conducive to having a good time.
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 am

I certainly understand your frustration. Both of the characters I have made so far have seen an excessive amount of katana users, and had trouble dealing with them alone. Though if you don't like outranging them with a spear, perhaps try a halberd or greatsword of some sort?

Or you could simply hide from invaders and only engage if you deem them as "fair" silly chameleon might help with that approach, though it doesn't always work.

But seriously, try various approaches, possibly pyromancy, since it has no stat requirements. Simply getting into close quarters and getting a firestorm/fire tempest to land could work wonders against lightroll katana fighters. One of my favorites for tight space firestorms is the corner of the ledge you reach on your way out of the broken window to get the dragonslayer bow, you can hide behind the corner and pan the camera around, then cast the spell as they approach.

Another pyromancy tactic would be combustion/great combustion. (I don't know about dark flame, I haven't tried it out yet) It is fast and can hit pretty hard, not to mention that there is a lot of equipment out there with poor fire resistance. You could use it to supplement your current weapon, or as a primary form of offense against these types of players.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Ashran Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 am

So i was in the forum and i opened this thread:

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 2 AUroj
    Aznul
    Aznul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Aznul Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 am

Ashran wrote:So i was in the forum and i opened this thread:

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 2 AUroj

Pretty much, but it happens.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 am

Parry.

When they roll towards you, parry

When they run to you, parry

When they press R1 twice, tank the first hit and parry

problem solved big grin and thats coming from someone who always die trying to parry a running katana attack

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:42 am