Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
befowler
martyrsbrigade99
vatar5
Sentiel
Glutebrah
Carphil
Ashran
Aznul
Forum Pirate
WyrmHero
RANT
Ghadis_God
Murdeaulio
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
lextune
reim0027
ChizFreak
Baal-Avatar
The Letter X
Tolvo
Sloth9230
Emergence
Rifter7
EeAyEss
28 posters

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 3 Empty Re: WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:44 am

Carphil wrote:Parry.

thats coming from someone who always die trying to parry a running katana attack

LOL
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:45 am

Chaos blade is best blade.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:47 am

Glutebrah wrote:Chaos blade is best blade.

LOL x2

I agree though.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 am

Emergence wrote:
    WARNING: RANT ABOUT KATANAS - Page 3 Jackiechan
    You made me lol so hard with this E. lol!

Topic

You all know I main a katana and I always feel bad when people say something bad about kat users.

I use them because I simply love katanas and use them in every game possible, even if they suck camel.

Katanas in DS were badass and hard to fight (2kat myself lol), but in DkS, I find them very easy to fight.

You see, 9/10 katana users are very predictable and will do one of the following three things.

Running R1
    Roll R1
    R1 spam

This makes them extremely vulnerable to parrying and other forms of punishing them.

I fight them daily and while I like fighting a kat with a kat, because I find it fun and usually an easy win, using other weapons is viable as well. Just today I defeated a guy with CMW on Iaito with a Barbed Straight Sword. Wasn't even parrying, or bsing him.
    In Sen's event I fought a kat users with BSS and poked him to death.
    The day before, another kat users fell prey to me, trying to learn PvP with a Scythe.

I'm not trying to boast, or make you look like a noob, I'm only trying to say, that no matter how you feel towards them, there are always ways to defeat them and send them home crying even with your HP intact.

EDIT:
    Damnit, you know how to get a + from me. big grin
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:02 am

The only rant I have for katana are the fact that they can punish mid roll with R1 and push you to roll with spam R1.

I often get killed because I receive damage at the end of the roll and I dunno what to do about,block?Roll backwards? :s
    I should train to parry kats >_<
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 am

Katanas and spears are easy mode PvP weapons in my opinion and that's why so many people use them. Using them requires little to no skill or attention to detail.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 am

martyrsbrigade99 wrote:Katanas and spears are easy mode PvP weapons in my opinion and that's why so many people use them. Using them requires little to no skill or attention to detail.
    I agree spears are making your fights a lot easier, albeit a lot longer, but katanas as well?

I'm maining a Quality Pyro with 28/45 and try to use as many weapons as possible to get to know each of their movesets and except for spears I don't find any weapon giving me an advantage over my opponent, or making the fight easier.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 am

Sentiel wrote:
    martyrsbrigade99 wrote:Katanas and spears are easy mode PvP weapons in my opinion and that's why so many people use them. Using them requires little to no skill or attention to detail.
    I agree spears are making your fights a lot easier, albeit a lot longer, but katanas as well?

I'm maining a Quality Pyro with 28/45 and try to use as many weapons as possible to get to know each of their movesets and except for spears I don't find any weapon giving me an advantage over my opponent, or making the fight easier.

I say that katanas are easy mode because they have a fast attack speed with little to no window for punishment after a missed or unsuccessful swing. They inflict pretty good damage, especially the chaos blade, relative to the weapon type. I've been able to inflict 500 damage with a chaos blade, and because of the fast swing, I've been able to follow up with a second attack. A kick, 2h chaos blade hit can inflict upwards of 450 damage. That the equivalent to a 2h claymore swing. That shouldn't be possible. In addition, they can be buffed was well. You need no effort or timing to be good at wielding a katana.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 am

martyrsbrigade99 wrote:I say that katanas are easy mode because they have a fast attack speed with little to no window for punishment after a missed or unsuccessful swing. They inflict pretty good damage, especially the chaos blade, relative to the weapon type. I've been able to inflict 500 damage with a chaos blade, and because of the fast swing, I've been able to follow up with a second attack. A kick, 2h chaos blade hit can inflict upwards of 450 damage. That the equivalent to a 2h claymore swing. That shouldn't be possible. In addition, they can be buffed was well. You need no effort or timing to be good at wielding a katana.
    What you're saying is all true, but I don't see how that makes them an easy mode. It makes them easier to use and get used to than most weapons. A noobs choice, if you wish, but thanks to that, they are easy to defeat. Same can be said about Straight Swords, or most Greatswords.

Doing 500 with Chaos Blade is nice and admirable, but you must've done a counter, or perhaps fought someone who was naked, or something. Mine is glad to hit for 350-400 on the usual PvP player.

Kick + attack are great way to deal with slow Str weapon, parry spammers, casters and the like. Nothing wrong there. I mean, you have to get kicked for it to work, so if you do something stupid enough to get kicked, you deserve to get hit.

Damage to HP may be equivalent to a Claymore, although I doubt it, but Clay does more Poise damage, can do easy dead angles and doesn't require Humanity and doesn't drain your HP like Chaos Blade does.

I actually have to make a lot of effort using a katana against a skilled player, because they all know how easy to aprry it is and try to exploit this weakness against me.

EDIT:
    When I think about it, you might be right about the easy mode, but only when it comes to the Washing Pole and that's only thanks to it's ridiculous range, which can give you some advantage and usually enable you to land the first attack.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 am

and yet you have many videos of you pvping with spears "owning noobs" COME ON DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

PS: no hate just love. "come on duuuude" should be read the same way you say it in a video
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:30 am

Haha. You continue to make a compelling argument. I can't argue with a slogan like that. I'm writing in Chaos Blade for the next Presidential election.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 am

Hah, I have some sympathy with OP. I personally avoid using katanas in any Japanese-designed game, because if katanas were as powerful in real life as they tend to be in such games, the Japanese would have conquered the planet about 18 months after they were invented. In dark souls, I've found the following weapons match up very well against all katanas in roughly this order:

BSS

large/great club

greatsword

zweihander

Obviously high poise helps, but from what I've seen a fair amount of folks get "good enough" with katanas (which is easy) and then stop developing.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

Thats easy to do with many good weapons. Its not hard to be "good enough" with ugs or the mura or any greatsword (though its tougher now) or a rapier.

Easy to use =/= easy mode. The people who have little skill and use kats might beat others who are similarly unskilled, but a good player will stomp them.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am

befowler wrote:...if katanas were as powerful in real life as they tend to be in anime, the Japanese would have conquered the planet about 2 weeks after they were invented...
    fix'd lol!

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    martyrsbrigade99 wrote:I say that katanas are easy mode because they have a fast attack speed with little to no window for punishment after a missed or unsuccessful swing. They inflict pretty good damage, especially the chaos blade, relative to the weapon type. I've been able to inflict 500 damage with a chaos blade, and because of the fast swing, I've been able to follow up with a second attack. A kick, 2h chaos blade hit can inflict upwards of 450 damage. That the equivalent to a 2h claymore swing. That shouldn't be possible. In addition, they can be buffed was well. You need no effort or timing to be good at wielding a katana.
    What you're saying is all true, but I don't see how that makes them an easy mode. It makes them easier to use and get used to than most weapons. A noobs choice, if you wish, but thanks to that, they are easy to defeat. Same can be said about Straight Swords, or most Greatswords.

Doing 500 with Chaos Blade is nice and admirable, but you must've done a counter, or perhaps fought someone who was naked, or something. Mine is glad to hit for 350-400 on the usual PvP player.

Kick + attack are great way to deal with slow Str weapon, parry spammers, casters and the like. Nothing wrong there. I mean, you have to get kicked for it to work, so if you do something stupid enough to get kicked, you deserve to get hit.

Damage to HP may be equivalent to a Claymore, although I doubt it, but Clay does more Poise damage, can do easy dead angles and doesn't require Humanity and doesn't drain your HP like Chaos Blade does.

I actually have to make a lot of effort using a katana against a skilled player, because they all know how easy to aprry it is and try to exploit this weakness against me.

EDIT:
    When I think about it, you might be right about the easy mode, but only when it comes to the Washing Pole and that's only thanks to it's ridiculous range, which can give you some advantage and usually enable you to land the first attack.

Dude, 450 damage is one hit from an one handed Demons machette at 40 STR. think about it
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Carphil wrote:
    Dude, 450 damage is one hit from an one handed Demons machette at 40 STR. think about it
    It f*cking does ONLY that much?!
    Ok, I'm canceling my plans to make a Str build.

EDIT:
    Long live Chaos Blade!

Last edited by Sentiel on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cos it's epic, that's why)
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Yes

A leo ring balder side sword r2 will get up towards 700, with longer reach and a similar speed.

Now you know why people like me and rant have a tendancy to complain about how underpowered str weapons are.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Glutebrah wrote:

and yet you have many videos of you pvping with spears "owning noobs" COME ON DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

PS: no hate just love. "come on duuuude" should be read the same way you say it in a video

Obviously another critic that makes comments but ignores FACTS.
    "Many?" I have 150 total uploads. Please tell me how many of the 150 am I only using a spear. Just to help you out, I have a Silver Knight series and a Just another day in the Burg series wherein I explain a new spear build. Hmmmm....so that's 4 so far. So, you just tell me, of the remaining 146, how many have I dedicated to the spear? If were really familiar with my channel, I use mostly halberds and strength weapons. Look Skyward
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Katanas are ridiculously powerful compared to virtually every weapon, my problem is since even my strength build can't beat them in a damage race you just have to space them so they cannot hit you. To do that it is easier just to use a spear and so people just use that.
    Furthermore, The Katanas are in my opinion, rather hard to parry so that is not always an option.

However, if you are a good player then you can beat virtually any other player (except spear users), Katanas get so much rage because it is easy to become good with them, there are many ways to kill Katana users.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm

martyrsbrigade99 wrote:
    Glutebrah wrote:

Obviously another critic that makes comments but ignores FACTS.
    "Many?" I have 150 total uploads. Please tell me how many of the 150 am I only using a spear. Just to help you out, I have a Silver Knight series and a Just another day in the Burg series wherein I explain a new spear build. Hmmmm....so that's 4 so far. So, you just tell me, of the remaining 146, how many have I dedicated to the spear? If were really familiar with my channel, I use mostly halberds and strength weapons. Look Skyward

sorry bro i don't stalk yo vids! come on duuuuude relax!
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 pm

^ I don't think he's being seriously critical, just screwing with you.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Silver Knight Spear > Everything, hands down, spears are OP, noobs that don't want any challenge use them lolz
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Silver Knight Spear > Everything, hands down, spears are OP, noobs that don't want any challenge use them lolz

DSS > SKS
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:28 pm

mlbh> dss> sks

(the reason being easy access to spells and the low requirements save points for other stuff)
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:mlbh> dss> sks

(the reason being easy access to spells and the low requirements save points for other stuff)

true, but MLBH is pretty short range for a spear, so not that good, but the access to magic makes it huge,

you can argue DSS gives you faith, depends on Level i guess higher levels DSS is hands down best imo

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 am