Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
berkut
Maneater_Mildred
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
PlasticandRage
Whknight
User
deathsdragon
11 posters

Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3

deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3 Empty Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3

Post by deathsdragon Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 pm

So today after 5+ years with my Ps3 I got the Yellow Light of Death.

After looking around on fixing it, I decided it not be worth my time as every thing I ran across boils down to DYI fixes last from days to weeks, while a Round trip to Sony for a fix takes 3-8 weeks with the results costing 150$ and most users reporting that the Sony fix only last 6months to a year...

The saddest part to me is this was n original Ps3 one of the ones when people were standing in 10 hour lines for and still not landing one, one of the ones with the Ps2 Chip-set inside, with extra Slow cards.

But less not forget all my saved data that is now gone forever, hours upon hours of games Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3 1330857165
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3 Empty Re: Fare-thee-well My beloved Ps3

Post by User Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Playstation Plus might have saved you from the suffering of lost save data. You still got all the data of the downloads you have, if you still have your PSN account.

As the PS3 is cheap for its quality, it can be said that 5 year life span is better than an XBox 360 at best. Buying a new one will be a fresh start. The only total downfall I see is the lack of PS2 play. I still play some PS2 games I had from time to time. That would suck.

The Yellow Light, huh? Never seen it before. Guess I am lucky for that part. Still, it sucks. Hope ya get another one.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, may it rest in peace after many wonderous years of gaming. At least you got your worth out of it, Sony at least knows how to build long lasting things.
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Acidic_Cook wrote:Playstation Plus might have saved you from the suffering of lost save data. You still got all the data of the downloads you have, if you still have your PSN account.

As the PS3 is cheap for its quality, it can be said that 5 year life span is better than an XBox 360 at best. Buying a new one will be a fresh start. The only total downfall I see is the lack of PS2 play. I still play some PS2 games I had from time to time. That would suck.

The Yellow Light, huh? Never seen it before. Guess I am lucky for that part. Still, it sucks. Hope ya get another one.

Oh yea forgot to add that I was going to get a new one, and yea apparently there is a Red light of Death and Yellow, with Red indicating hard drive failure and Yellow indicating Motherboardish.

Basically boils down to over heating from extreme use over time where the chip set seperates slightly from the board, the fix is a simple re-flow but a re-flow quality will never be good enough to be considered a permanent fix so I'll suffer the data loss and buy a new ps3.

I have many Ps2 Games I still play sad
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

A friend of mine had this happen not long ago with his original ps3. My dog knocked mine off a table and smashed it so I ended up buying a slim long before that happened. Is this something that solely happens with the original ps3s or do I have to worry about this happening also you think?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 am

Whknight wrote:I am so sorry for your loss, may it rest in peace after many wonderous years of gaming. At least you got your worth out of it, Sony at least knows how to build long lasting things.

seriously? I went through at least 5 ps2's. I also still have the original NES I got for Christmas when I was 7. Still works perfectly. And another thing I wante...DISK READ ERROR
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 am

I'm not going to make this a match about who has longer lasting systems, it all varies on use and abuse. Nor should this turn into a fan rant about game systems.

I'm simply saying Sony and if you want, Nintendo, make products that can last a long while. Microsoft can say they do but even with their 360 slim I have my doubts.

Everyone goes through multiple systems, it's a fact of life.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 am

i still have my old ps1 and ps2 and use them for their games, ps3 is only for ps3 games... damn that really sucks though how many hours did you have on dks on that thing anyway?

also what ps2 games do you play?
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:06 am

I'm not trying to say any system is better than another. What I am saying is that new systems, IMO, are built to extract the most money from your wallet as efficiently as possible. And older systems, IMO, were not. SONY is just as bad as the others
    And that's coming from a SONY customer. I still have all my old systems and games also. In an ideal world if you treat your system with care you should only have to buy one. Period. I use NES as my example because that's what we had at my house when I was growing up. We used to turn ours off by throwing the controller at it and it still works. I used to essentially keep my ps2's inside John Travolta's bubble and I still had to replace them every year or so.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 am

Pull the hard drive out and put it in another ps3, back up your saves and copy to your new ps3, tada you have your old saves back.
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

Maneater_Mildred wrote:Pull the hard drive out and put it in another ps3, back up your saves and copy to your new ps3, tada you have your old saves back.

From my understanding Harddrive is locked to ps3 model as in no other ps3 will read a HDD formatted to a different ps3.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:
    i still have my old ps1 and ps2 and use them for their games, ps3 is
    only for ps3 games... damn that really sucks though how many hours did
    you have on dks on that thing anyway?

also what ps2 games do you play?

around 220 hours on a single character.

I play some FF games, Gran Turismo 3 A Spec, Some DBZ Games, Kengo Games, ZOE, Kingdom Hearts, etc
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 am

A lot of games save files can be transferred between ps3s. What if you reflow your old one to get it to last long enough to obtain your save files on an external and transfer them to a new ps3? That is what we did when our ps3 yellowed. Also, if your ps3 is 5+ years old isn't your warranty already expired?
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:46 am

Would anyone like to post some kinds words for the passing of another PS3. Donations can be made to the "deathsdragon PS3 Fund"
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

meridam99 wrote:Would anyone like to post some kinds words for the passing of another PS3. Donations can be made to the "deathsdragon PS3 Fund"

Haha if only, but already purchased a new one.

@berkut

Yeah I'm considering short term fixes to get the save data just not the time at the momment, and yes the warranty is up.

PlasticandRage wrote:A friend of mine had this happen not long ago
    with his original ps3. My dog knocked mine off a table and smashed it so
    I ended up buying a slim long before that happened. Is this something
    that solely happens with the original ps3s or do I have to worry about
    this happening also you think?

Far as I know this isn't just a problem of the original Ps3's its just a Fast Processor gets hot deal
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I feel your pain. Recently went from old 20gb PS3 to new 320gb. Upgrade was worth it, but I also lost all my old save files (demon soul's, fallout 3, etc). I ended up buying a small, quiet floor fan to help keep the thing cool this time.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 pm

befowler wrote:I feel your pain. Recently went from old 20gb PS3 to new 320gb. Upgrade was worth it, but I also lost all my old save files (demon soul's, fallout 3, etc). I ended up buying a small, quiet floor fan to help keep the thing cool this time.

Just wondering why in your Avatar pick Tim Curry is wearing that outfit?
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 pm

I have an original PS3, and I have a feeling its time is coming.

Pretty sure all it needs is a new disc drive...which my friend did on his own PS3 after his busted, and now it works fine. So, if it ever comes to it...that may be the solution.

Still, might back up my saves on a MiniSD or something, should be enough room.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Ya know my old roommate had a crazy like $4,000 gaming laptop and he bought this weird little fan system that you set the computer on top of while your using it in order to help keep the processor cool. I wonder if such a thing would help for this situation? I know none of the vents are on the bottom but I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to rig something up that's the same idea. I'd much rather spend $100 trying to hook something like that up than spend another $250 on a new system and lose all my data. Something like this must already exist for the ps3 right?
    Scudman_Slayer
    Scudman_Slayer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Scudman_Slayer Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

wait...how come everyone loses their video game in the period of 5 years?

i have a PS2 that i bought on 2006 and i still have it and its working fine

my PS3 i have it for 4 years and a half and i never had any problems how come?

not meaning to offend anyone
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am

dunno, my PS2 busted (laser went) and they fixed it for free even though it wasn't under warranty (I was so pissed I was gonna buy an XBox). Now, I'm sure they're too elitist to take that threat seriously...
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:50 pm

meridam99 wrote:
    befowler wrote:I feel your pain. Recently went from old 20gb PS3 to new 320gb. Upgrade was worth it, but I also lost all my old save files (demon soul's, fallout 3, etc). I ended up buying a small, quiet floor fan to help keep the thing cool this time.

Just wondering why in your Avatar pick Tim Curry is wearing that outfit?

My sincere hope is that he is playing Knight Solaire in the upcoming Dark Souls movie.

But it's probably a Halloween party.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:Ya know my old roommate had a crazy like $4,000 gaming laptop and he bought this weird little fan system that you set the computer on top of while your using it in order to help keep the processor cool. I wonder if such a thing would help for this situation? I know none of the vents are on the bottom but I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to rig something up that's the same idea. I'd much rather spend $100 trying to hook something like that up than spend another $250 on a new system and lose all my data. Something like this must already exist for the ps3 right?

Possible it may exist, in any case it's entirely possible to build such devices with various parts and pvc piping. I imagine there is at least one video somewhere on youtube for doing it to the PS3 considering how many do this to their laptops/ PCs
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm

You can pick up cooling systems for ps3 at wal-mart,or any chain store they are basically the same setup you use for a laptop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 am