Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Ashran
Orango19
ClassicBlaze
skarekrow13
alchemydesign
samster628
Hue
Shkar
Acarnatia
lalliman
Sloth9230
15 posters

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons

Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons Empty Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 am

I always wondered why Kalameet looks nothing like the rest of the Everlasting Dragons, that was until I saw this interview. According to Miyazaki, the everlasting dragons are mineral based. That much is pretty obvious, we can see it in the designs of the dragons in the intro and the dragon in Ashe lake is also called the "stone Dragon". The everlasting dragons are all partially made of stone, with the exception of Seath. More specifically, they posses "scales of immortality" or "stone scales". The dragon weapons also look rather stone-like in appearance.

Kalameet however, doesn't appear to be made of stone. I thought that maybe he was an exception, like Seath, only stronger. That is until I remembered the Obsidian Greatsword. At first I thought that "obsidian" was just a refference to the swords color, until I remembered the rock. So then, it's possible that the reason Kalameet is black is because his scales are actually obsidian. It also explains his affiliation with fire, since the rock is formed from cooled magma.

Obsidian itself isn't actually a mineral, because it lacks a crystalline structure. Though it's possible the dev's either overlooked or ignored that.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons Empty Re: Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons

Post by lalliman Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 am

Makes sense, but he doesn´t really look like his scales are made of obsidian. Obsidian is of a glass like nature, if Kalameet´s scales were obsidian i´d expect him to be shinier and spikier.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons Empty Re: Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons

Post by Acarnatia Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 am

^by that logic, the dragon scales should have been blockier, less red and so many other physical impossibilities. I actually thought he was connected to Obsidian from the get-go. While that wasn't explicitly stated, that seemed obvious to me...
    Obsidian technically isn't a crystal. (like most rocks are) It is formed from the same materials as crystals and many rocks; obsidian is just cooled much faster, making the structure form differently (even though the elements are the same) and results in a volcanic glass. While it's technically not crystal, the similarity and connection is obvious, and is just as reasonable as Seath (crystal) being related to the average everlasting dragons. (rock)
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 am

Please. If he was actually made of Obsidian, the sword from his tail would be unstoppable. Obsidian blades are capable of being essentially the sharpest in existence.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 am

The sword isn't exactly all that well sharpened though, it's more of club than a sword. The thing barely has an edge.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 am

Sloth9230 wrote:The sword isn't exactly all that well sharpened though, it's more of club than a sword. The thing barely has an edge.

Look again, the edge is jagged and ugly and everything, but the angle of the blade is fine (by DkS standards)
    There are diamond scalpels with a 45° blade, why not a magical obsidian dragon tail?
    samster628
    samster628
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by samster628 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 am

Shkar wrote:Please. If he was actually made of Obsidian, the sword from his tail would be unstoppable. Obsidian blades are capable of being essentially the sharpest in existence.
    Not sure about that one.

Gough seems to imply kalameet is an ancient dragon and dont forget you have already gone back in time when you meet him. i think he did have a layer of obsidian scales which were peeled back in the war with Gwyn etc thus rendering him vunerable. prehaps only his tail survived.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Hachouma wrote:There are diamond scalpels with a 45° blade, why not a magical obsidian dragon tail?

We have access to sharpening techniques now that makes it possible to create things that far exceed the sharpness of anything a mere blacksmith could have produced. Obsidian has the potential to be very sharp, but that doesn't mean anything made from obsidian is the sharpest thing in existence.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    Hachouma wrote:There are diamond scalpels with a 45° blade, why not a magical obsidian dragon tail?

We have access to sharpening techniques now that makes it possible to create things that far exceed the sharpness of anything a mere blacksmith could have produced. Obsidian has the potential to be very sharp, but that doesn't mean anything made from obsidian is the sharpest thing in existence.

My diamond knife example means that there are seemingly very thick blades that are still that sharp, i'm not talking about the skill it takes. Besides, these scalpels are a pretty recent technology, while obsidian weapons were around 700000 years ago, i don't think there were blacksmiths by that time.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Look Skyward That there were obsidian weapons back then doesn't change the fact that they're not as sharp as the ones we can make in this day and age. Your diamond knife's blade was created in a special way, simple sharpening methods won't get you the same results. You guys are saying that the sheer fact of it being obsidian should make it the best sword in the game.

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons 800px-10

Are these the sharpest plates in the world?

Now then, if dragon weapons had scaling, and if it kept it's base damage, then clearly it, and the other dragon weapons, would be the best in the game. 480 vs a man-serpant greatswords 275, the Obsidian Greatsword is obviously the better sword. It's only scaling that allows other weapons to overtake it, but as for the swords themselves(not taking scaling into account); The obsidian greatsword is the best greatsword in the game.

Last edited by Sloth9230 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:10 pm

P.S. If it had scaling, then the scaling would be better than a crystal weapons.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Note that I had mainly been joking about my earlier post, but here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

The Aztecs had a type of obsidian edged weapon that was sharp enough to decapitate horses with (what seems like) a single blow; a feat that would be insanely difficult to replicate.
    alchemydesign
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by alchemydesign Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Lol, those COULD be the sharpest plates in the world if you knapped the edges down. Stone weapons generally do look dull and blunt, but unless you've ever sliced yourself open with a more than razor sharp flint blade you simply can't appreciate them.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:09 pm

I've cut myself with obsidian. Easy to do. Hurts like hell.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Shkar wrote:Note that I had mainly been joking about my earlier post, but here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

The Aztecs had a type of obsidian edged weapon that was sharp enough to decapitate horses with (what seems like) a single blow; a feat that would be insanely difficult to replicate.

I'm not saying the obsidian greatsword couldn't cut, but the thing could obviously be sharper. Broken glass shards are sharp, I don't see why Obsedian shards wouldn't be either. However, the sword is clearly not a shard, and I doubt it was made the same way as the diamond scalpels Hachouma was talking about.

Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons 800px-11

The sword looks more like the cores than the daggers. Now if it had been a Katana...

I do know of the Macuahuitl and I'd actually like something like them, or shark toothed clubs, in the next game. Reinforced clubs ain't doing it for me.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Magic
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Ahhh yes "magic", how could I have been so stupid Look Skyward
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Wait...
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:Ahhh yes "magic", how could I have been so stupid Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons 2707236321

Ikr! It explains everything!
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

ClassicBlaze wrote:
    Sloth9230 wrote:Ahhh yes "magic", how could I have been so stupid Kalameet and the Everlasting Dragons 2707236321

Ikr! It explains everything!

Especially in a world of glass breathing octotripus dragons and testicle-looking head disease that can be cured with furry acorns
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Crystal and glass are very different. One is a crystalline solid while the other is an amorphous solid. (basically a fluid solid; glass will flow down over time) And that's a TENTACLE (not testicle) disease.
    Plenty of infections in our own world are cured/prevented by a blue mold, (penicillin) inner tree bark (where one of the main chemicals for aspirin is harvested from) and paralyzing poisons can be used to counteract a seizure-inducing one. Using a furry acorn-like plant seems pretty reasonable to me considering actual medicine. >.>
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Do we have to start holding up an "I'm making a joke" sign when kidding around?

I mean you're right, but we all know crystal and glass isn't the same.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Actually, glass being amorphous simply means that it can go through something called a glass transition, essentially turning it into a liquid solid. In the form we use it in, the glass will not.

Or at least, not at any kind of noticeable rate. One measurement suggest it would take around 10^32 years to be noticeable. Which is several times longer than the believed age of the universe.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm

According to google translate(lol), in Japanese the obsidian greatsword is just called the large black dragon sword. It's possible that the translators just picked obsiidan because of it's color, and that it's not accurate. However, Kalameet is still an everlasting dragon which means he has to be made of some mineral or mineral like substance.

So aside from Obsidian, what other black rock/stones do you guys think Kalameet's scales and bones could be made out of? I'm sticking with obsidian because of it's association with volcanoes, and Kalameet's own association with fire.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

It may very well not even be a real mineral, it could be something like black titanite silly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:49 pm