Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
billy_bayonet
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Automancer
Henkyona
skarekrow13
WandererReece
XuitusTheGreat
Rifter7
Hydreigon11
Juutas
BeeSeaEss
EeAyEss
User1
wolfboy
Animaaal
Ghadis_God
Tolvo
Myztyrio
WyrmHero
The Letter X
RANT
Jiub of Carim
26 posters

Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX

EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX - Page 2 Empty Re: Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX

Post by EeAyEss Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

I just feel that a 3 unit weapon being able to do comparable dmg to a 20 unit weapon is ridiculous.

Also, i never said anything about them being bad weapons; just underused. I use them proficiently, if I do say so myself.

Also, I avoid backstabs + hornet ring if I'm using str weapons. It's ridiculous. I would know, I used to use it pre-patch to counter-bs bs-fishers.

Additionally, I consider staggering to be less and less crucial due to the emergence of toggle-escapes for stunlocks, though staggering is still useful for canceling spells, bs attempts, etc.

I love str weapons to death. I've used them forever in the Souls Series. I can do ALMOST everything with them. Dead-angling, hitting someone with ridiculous dmg with rolling r1's. Trust me.

Back on-topic, the Warpick is really nice. It's r2s punish bs-fishers nicely.

I'm going to point at T-king and is UUW series on youtube. He does a really good job of presenting under-used weapons.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX - Page 2 Empty Re: Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 am

I love the Painting Guardian Sword but the range is pretty bad sometimes. Offhand a spear and youre golden though
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 am

wolfboy wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:Barbed Straight Sword
    I like the horizontal 1hr2 attack, it closes fast. It bleeds. Its at least an okay weapon.

Mace
    Very light weight, which can be important to a strength build.

Both are under rated, but still outclassed in the end. They're not bad options though.

I love the Barbed Straight Sword... on my first play through I used it for a while- even took it to +15... The bleeding damage it inflicts is really nasty....

Me too man, it kinda grows on ya. I use the Broadsword for my spartan cosplay, but I always find myself using the barbed sword when I pvp with him. I can never get myself to use a side sword, or long sword because I love the horizontal one hand swings. The 1h r1-->r2 comno is sick and closes fast. The r2 is also nice way to pester fishers.

Its the same reason I think the Partizan is under rated.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 am

I forgot, the Reinforced Club, Blacksmith Hammer and the Giant Blacksmith Hammer are the only small hammers than can infinite stunlock. The Mace and the others can't stunlock for more than 3 hits, and the Pickaxe/Warpick/Club can't break 40 poise when 2 handed.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 pm

*Bump for being useful to people/players having a hard time "Re-inventing" their Dark Souls characters.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:57 am

Glad this thread got a bump, I was thinking about posting on it today.

I recently started using rapier's, more significantly Richard's Rapier. Why do more people not use this weapon? The moveset is amazing, I found the 2h r2 to be especially useful for getting a hit on someone as they get up. With a buff the weapon is serious nasty. However, the lack of a kick is sorely missed.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 am

gravelord sword, it is WAY overlooked, with pretty much any build it hits 400+ ar with BASE stats for it, sure it scales horrible but 400 AR on the thing when used by my mage....my bloody MAGE lol not to mention its two hand R2 has sexy range xD

I mean look at that...... 432 phys http://mmdks.com/13eb, its great to bust out when someone uses the anti magic dmg buff and be like "not today!"
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 am

I always saw people post about how the Painted Sword sucks. That thing is a beast! It's a boss killer, and I've killed people in PvP with it. Once I got it in the Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX - Page 2 Empty Russian Roulette Duels. I killed my opponent with it. He messaged something like, "You were wicked." I replied, "Never under estimate the power of the Painted Sword."

It may have a useless R2, but it's almost the perfect cross between curved sword and dagger. The only thing it needs is a critical damage boost.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm

WandererReece wrote:I always saw people post about how the Painted Sword sucks. That thing is a beast! It's a boss killer, and I've killed people in PvP with it. Once I got it in the Best of the Under Appreciated Weapons STR/DEX - Page 2 Empty Russian Roulette Duels. I killed my opponent with it. He messaged something like, "You were wicked." I replied, "Never under estimate the power of the Painted Sword."

It may have a useless R2, but it's almost the perfect cross between curved sword and dagger. The only thing it needs is a critical damage boost.
    The PGS with a critical bonus? I've had dreams about that..
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:31 pm

^ Actually, that would probably make it overpowered, but it is dagger sized.

I forgot to mention that I've stunlocked some people with it pretty easily.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 am

I always offhand it anyways. The horizontal slash is good for making people back up, and isn't easy to parry. I've tried using it in my main hand with a spear in my offhand , but the range usually makes me attack more with the spear.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 am

^ I always used it in my right hand. I eventually got used to the crappy range. Once in a while I do the R2 to show off.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 pm

WandererReece wrote:^ I always used it in my right hand. I eventually got used to the crappy range. Once in a while I do the R2 to show off.
    Only time I can land a r2 attack is when I'm unlocked and someone is fishing for a bs or just circling me.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 pm

XuitusTheGreat wrote:gravelord sword, it is WAY overlooked, with pretty much any build it hits 400+ ar with BASE stats for it, sure it scales horrible but 400 AR on the thing when used by my mage....my bloody MAGE lol not to mention its two hand R2 has sexy range xD

I mean look at that...... 432 phys http://mmdks.com/13eb, its great to bust out when someone uses the anti magic dmg buff and be like "not today!"
    That 2h r2 cheers ! I really wanna use this sword more, I just find it soooo easy to parry, especially the 1h r1
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

No one is a fan so I guess I'll say it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Priscilla's dagger. The combos are crazy good and lull people into a false sense of security double time. First, they see the low damage and often neglect blocking, dodging as aggressively. Forgetting that I've probably hit them three times with it, meaning I'm close to heavy weapon damage. Then, the second lull. They assume that I'm out of stamina because I swung it five or six times. Since it's not a common weapon (that I've seen) it's often overlooked that what looks like five or six attacks is only two or three. Meaning, they think they have the easy stunlock because of my overeager attacking when in reality I have plenty of stamina to dodge and lay back into them after they miss. The panic mode when you've stunlocked someone with a fancy toothpick is priceless.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:No one is a fan so I guess I'll say it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Priscilla's dagger. The combos are crazy good and lull people into a false sense of security double time. First, they see the low damage and often neglect blocking, dodging as aggressively. Forgetting that I've probably hit them three times with it, meaning I'm close to heavy weapon damage. Then, the second lull. They assume that I'm out of stamina because I swung it five or six times. Since it's not a common weapon (that I've seen) it's often overlooked that what looks like five or six attacks is only two or three. Meaning, they think they have the easy stunlock because of my overeager attacking when in reality I have plenty of stamina to dodge and lay back into them after they miss. The panic mode when you've stunlocked someone with a fancy toothpick is priceless.
    Such a fun weapon to use. Plus you can offhand the PGS, and roleplay an Undead who was feared by the Gods and banished to the Painted World.
    Henkyona
    Henkyona
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Henkyona Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

What no love for the Server?
    That weapon is a beast 7hp recovered per hit may not sound like much but if you say have 400 hp left and your enemy hit you for 405 hp if you hit him once before he hit you would have survived the other wise lethal blow, oh and it can recover 7hp per hit through shields as well it also has a decent mix-up.
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Henkyona wrote:What no love for the Server?
    That weapon is a beast 7hp recovered per hit may not sound like much but if you say have 400 hp left and your enemy hit you for 405 hp if you hit him once before he hit you would have survived the other wise lethal blow, oh and it can recover 7hp per hit through shields as well it also has a decent mix-up.
    I sometimes bust this weapon out on my faith/dex build, for no reason other than its my only build that uses Sanctus. Server + Sanctus can definitely get you the win in some close matches. Personally I like the Server alot more than the Murakomo.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

The Server and GLS are really awesome weapons if you do not have the Str to wield the Murakumo.
    I seem to be able to pull off attacks with the Server a lot easier than with the Mura.

Maybe it's because people already know how deadly the Mura is, so they'll try to stay away. While Server is often overlooked as the vastly weaker version of the Mura and get ****. They swarm in and get wrecked by it. There have been times where i constantly get them with the phantom range when they try to run away. However, it's range is still significantly weaker. But it's a beast on its own. Even more so, when used in the off-hand. Holy sh1t, that thing is beautiful!
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Automancer wrote:The Server and GLS are really awesome weapons if you do not have the Str to wield the Murakumo.
    I seem to be able to pull off attacks with the Server a lot easier than with the Mura.

Maybe it's because people already know how deadly the Mura is, so they'll try to stay away. While Server is often overlooked as the vastly weaker version of the Mura and get ****. They swarm in and get wrecked by it. There have been times where i constantly get them with the phantom range when they try to run away. However, it's range is still significantly weaker. But it's a beast on its own. Even more so, when used in the off-hand. Holy sh1t, that thing is beautiful!
    The stunlock on the Server seems better to me despite the smaller range when compared to the Murakomo. However, if youre in a hall with either you are ***.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Nobody really hates the PGS (I like it a lot, personally) they dislike the range which is, admittedly, abysmal.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Velka's Rapier is best rapier. 8)
    Jiub of Carim
    Jiub of Carim
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jiub of Carim Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Nobody really hates the PGS (I like it a lot, personally) they dislike the range which is, admittedly, abysmal.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, Velka's Rapier is best rapier. 8)
    Care to elaborate? I just started using rapiers, and I've fallen for Richard's.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

billy_bayonet
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by billy_bayonet Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 pm

BROADSWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

DARKSWORD!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:39 am