Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Odinbear
ErrJon6661
Juutas
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Shindori
Ashran
Serious_Much
Ghadis_God
LunarFog
Automancer
Nybbles
Carphil
skarekrow13
17 posters

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming - Page 2 Empty Re: WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am

Karmic Justice is based off of number of hits, not amount of damage.

For instance, I've had it trigger from rapid hits from hollows (one sword, one crossbow) that did next to no damage. I've triggered it (best use here) rolling through Crystal Homing Soul Mass where I took no damage. None. It caused a "hit" animation but since I was in an i-frame I had nothing done to me. The sorcerer on the other hand. Well, he got one heck of a surprise.....keh heh heh.

The best piece of equipment to maximize your Karmic Justice use, in my opinion....is the Grass Crest Shield. Added stamina regen which is nice but eveything....and I mean everything....counts as a hit since nothing is 100% damage taken.

I've also been killed by more methodical players and enemies trying to figure out the mechanics without it being triggered. They hit hard and less often.

So the key is fast and little damage to make the best use of it.

EDIT: My best estimate is that the KJ build up meter will go back to zero in three to four seconds max meaning you need several hits very fast. The least number of hits I've ever seen it take is five I believe. Soul mass coincidence?

FURTHER EDIT: Again, I have not tested it with the Calamity Ring so if you have and it appears to make KJ more effective there could be a hidden buff to it.
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

WARNING! Rant about ring incoming - Page 2 Empty Re: WARNING! Rant about ring incoming

Post by Samurainova Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 am

Ummm, like, I don't doubt you skarekrwo that may have happened for you, but I have taken several hits with it in effect and it did not occur until a certain damage quota was met. Perhaps it doesn't require huge amounts, but it has been confirmed calamity definately speeds up the process. Ill show you in a video. Thanks for pointing that out though it is indeed not necessary to take large amounts of damage. For instance it would not make a differance between a claymore and man serpant sword.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 am

There's no difference in any damage or source from what I can tell. Again, I've had zero damage trigger it. I've killed people trying to use it with very high vitality with no effect since I don't attack often (the buff was still active when they died). I did a lot of testing near the parish. The three Balder knights that can gank in the Parish were able to kill me without it trigger because they're all methodical attackers. Whereas the sword and crossbow guys with faster attacks trigger it no problemo (and do less damage). The torch guys who attack in a combo will trigger it (again, number of hits). Also, it triggers with shields that don't do 100% in the applicable damage type. So my hollow soldier example, through the shield triggers consistently at five hits (rapid ones). The damage is insignificant in amount. I won't derail the thread about the evil ring further but I'd definitely have to see some proof about a damage threshold because I've seen literally zero evidence of it in a lot of tests.

I think the confusion is that the person has to have sustained "damage" in some form. i.e. Five hits that "cause damage" is the threshold rather than "x amount" of damage. The i-frame roll I talked about above registers as a "hit that should have caused damage" based on defense stats so it counts as "damage."

EDIT: I wanted to point out again I have not tested with the Calamity Ring on and it is perfectly plausible that it might indeed buff KJ. For instance, as it doubles damage I can see From adding something like each hit counts as two, making the KJ build up faster.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Wow, they thought I was crazy.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm

I still do. Which means I have a ton of respect for you. It's the sane ones I worry about.....
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm

I love what you put for your location.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm

I actually haven't even gotten the calamity ring yet, I've had the DLC for at least 3 months now, and I still haven't killed Kalamet.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Lol...Thanks Reece. Now that I've gotten to page three it's time for the not so shocking surprise.....
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Anyone who has read this thread....

With the exception of KJ info, please try to envision everything I've said in sarcasm font.

Firstly, I want to point out that my arguments (while insane to some degree) are NOT INACCURATE. I can't stress that enough. Objectively, the Calamity does create shortcuts for an established goal (bragging rights, Shindori's very awexome samurai draw contest idea). It also does create balancing issues. I know it doesn't help the wearer, but again, objectively the ring creates a major disadvantage for one party.

The only difference between this and any other unbalanced piece of equipment is that you choose to be at a disadvantage.

Which created the perfect opportunity for me to finally state how I feel about all tactics in the game, all weapons, all equipment, all spells, etc.

THEY'RE ALL GREAT!!!

Is some equipment better than others? Yes

Are some things easier to get "good" at than others? Yes

Is the game perfectly balanced? Heck no

But no one would seriously complain about handicapping oneself with the use of the Calamity Ring to brag or accomplish a goal that they enjoy. So if you think something is "OP" or unbalanced. Cool. But just remember, like the Calamity Ring, if you choose gear or tactics that are inherently more difficult to win with.....

It's your choice.

If you lose to someone because they used "easy" gear or tactics, they're available to you too. It's your choice because of your own, very personal, very individual code.

Have fun with your code and rules but let's remember that everyone else is playing their way too.

Spoiler:
    lalliman
    lalliman
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lalliman Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Dammit i came too late to contribute.
    But i'm gonna anyways! twisted
    I don't mind that it's an easy way to earn bragging rights, but the couple times that i've seen it in PvP, people used it like a disclaimer. Kinda like, "if i lose, it's cause of the ring and not me". It's perfect for sore losers.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Lol....We can still talk about it. That's actually an angle I never thought of. The "Sore Loser" ring.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:03 pm

lalliman wrote:Kinda like, "if i lose, it's cause of the ring and not me". It's perfect for sore losers.

If they told me that I would reply, "It was because of you. You chose to put your calamity ring on your character. No one forced you to do it."
    Samurainova
    Samurainova
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Samurainova Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Just do what I do bro, don't even let them get a single hit off you. Nothing could be holding them back because they suck so bad they can't even hit you. No ring could possibly change that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:50 am