Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
barcio
Majikero07
3nvy
fizzelbottom
Quarik
Bioraptor
Federally
bmurn
Azran
Livedlime2
Bamjam
mugenis4real
ARSP
zombie type 000
Robotech
Bawheidbob
Baal-Avatar
ViralEnsign_
Domhnall
Dark75Messiah
Zechk
Mike-Lassen
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Yukon
Yarxov
Doelker
Back Lot Basher
Serious_Much
lextune
berkut
aceluby
Tolvo
LittleMAC
SlakeMoth
Whknight
undead lee
40 posters

A Newbies Tale

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

A Newbies Tale - Page 3 Empty Re: A Newbies Tale

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 am

I didn't see what system you are on, but if you are on the PS3 I know you can go to your recently played with, and look for the name of the person who you summoned to help you, and send them a thank you message. Quit out of your file to do so though, I've found it is never EVER a good idea to type messages while in the world haha.
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 am

I'm on XBL, although we have the same function. As this was my first summon i failed to take a note of his XBL name. I'll have a look tonight to see if a name stands out from the time register as it was the only game i played last night.
    Sad though it may seems i managed to pop home at dinner so i thought i'd take a look around the depths. I normally keep a wide bearth from misty doorways and big creatures on my first adventures but since time was short i thought "what the hell" - big rat dead, big guy dead - seems abit to easy :roll: up to now -- saved till tonight, were i'm sure i'll die soon lol
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 am

"Completed" the depths last night cheers - even though some scumbag invader kept killing me in the same place over and over again, he didn't even let me clear a space for a decent fight, i had rats and frogs all over me Grrrrr ..... but one of the most satisfying moments was when i summoned help (thanks go to Ravanloft) we got the the place where he thought he was king and kicked his *** big grin then we went and defeated the dragon. I was grinning from ear to ear.
    When we killed him he dropped humanity some souls and some items - are the items from his own inventory - i hope so....
    Along the way i also picked up a couple "eye's of death" - I read post on these yesterday but I dont understand what it does or how to use it.
    Now to Blight town, although i cannot seem to find it at the moment.
    ONWARDS AND UPWARDS king
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 am

Congrats! I'm actually in there on my new character farming up shards~

Blighttown is the gate next to the merchant down there, very close to the boss as well. Eyes of Death are used in the gravelord covenant for invading and I believe ranking up also, otherwise you can just feed them to Frampt if you do not plan to join.
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 am

If the invader had spikes on his equipment, it may have been a npc named Kirk. There are npc's that are scripted to invade in some areas of the game. Some of them has nice rewards upon defeat.

Congrats on clearing the depths!.
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 am

Ahhh that was him - Kirk Knight.
    I was fuming - i thought some little git had it in for me - lol - yes i got a spiked shield from him.
    Thanks for clearing that one up happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 am

Some phantoms you will actually be able to summon before bosses after or before they invade you. They can actually be very useful for a boss fight while them against you was pretty pitiful on their end.

Mildred comes to mind, so easy to kill, yet she makes Queelag on your first run so much easier.
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Just a thought ---- why does the helm of wisdom look like Harry Potter on crack......(sorry for the drugs reference but its all in fun)
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 am

I JUST THINK I'M NOT HARD ENOUGH.......
    I'm at a point now were Hydra dragon is too hard - posts have suggested blocking the jets but they still knock me down and seriously effect my HP.
    The trolls at the beginning of Blight town batter me.
    Phantom in Londo tear me to pieces. (I know i could try the curse thing)
    Skellies in the Catacombs over run me (I dont have a devine weapon yet)
    I'm a level 36 - Strength / Dex and intelligence build - like a sword weilding scorcerer.
    I have a few decent rings to help poise and absorb HP and run around using the Drake Sword and a raw Helberd (+5 plus ascentioned).
    Should i strengthen my character before attempting any of these locations?
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 am

That level doesn't sound atrocious for the catacombs or blighttown. That hydra is likely to be really hard for you right now, I would not recommend trying to block the jets, you can easily block the hydra's melee attacks, but you need to be in the water to do that, and there are bottomless pits in there, also, like in the depths and blightown, you will be slowed in the water, making it brutal. You may want to try the undead asylum, but be very, very careful in there.

You should be able to get a divine weapon pretty easily right now, you need a +5 regular weapon, and a green titanite shard, the blacksmith in the undead parish can do it (you do this under the modify weapon, not the reinforce weapon option)
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:56 am

undead lee wrote:I JUST THINK I'M NOT HARD ENOUGH.......
    I'm at a point now were Hydra dragon is too hard - posts have suggested blocking the jets but they still knock me down and seriously effect my HP.
    The trolls at the beginning of Blight town batter me.
    Phantom in Londo tear me to pieces. (I know i could try the curse thing)
    Skellies in the Catacombs over run me (I dont have a devine weapon yet)
    I'm a level 36 - Strength / Dex and intelligence build - like a sword weilding scorcerer.
    I have a few decent rings to help poise and absorb HP and run around using the Drake Sword and a raw Helberd (+5 plus ascentioned).
    Should i strengthen my character before attempting any of these locations?

Hydra Fight: Do not try to blocking the jets. Kill all the surrounding Crystal Golem before the fight. Shoot them with a bow and let them come to you. Then run zig-zag to the hydra to avoid the jets. Once your feet are in the water the Hydra will not shoot jets at you anymore. Now just block his attacks and swing at his heads when they are stuck in the ground.

Catacombs: Make a +5 Divine Bastard sword and wear Havel's armor (or other heavy armor). That is pretty much it. You can farm green shards in Blighttown or buy them in Sen's. It takes 2 swings to kill each Skeleton with that sword and you can hit them as they are rising out of the ground. Also, try to take out the Undead Mages quickly. Other than that, you should not have any problems.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 am

To add to the Forum Lord's above post, you can farm green titanite from the slimes at the first bonfire in the sewers, if you haven't made it to the other farming/purchasing locations Baal mentioned above
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am

there is also a hill side with a cliff you can run along to the left of the area as soon as your walk in the first crystal monster guards it, If you walk hugging the wall the hydra can't hit you until you are about 5 feet from the water, then just time your sprint to the water.

I found this way easier than zig-zagging. You can also use artorias's key and if you finish blightown there is a occult club you can down-grade and use to fight the skels. But you could also run it without a divine weapon, just do a bunch of death runs until you kill the necromancer and then casually stroll through the level. that's how I did it my first time, just don't go in with humanity or souls until you get to the first bonfire.
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:48 am

For Blighttown: The Spider Shield (you can find it in the depth) makes it possible to block attacks from enemies in Blighttown without catching poison. It's a good idea to get endurance to 20 - makes it easier to block the big club.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:53 am

Note also that the big boys in Blighttown can still have a sword shoved up the (insert expletive here), ie you can backstab them.
    Mike-Lassen

Post by Mike-Lassen Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Hydra: I was having huge problems approaching the Hydra from the Darkroot Basin side, so I killed it from the other side, coming from the forrest. I found that easier.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:34 pm

the dung giants are fun to parry but this early on don't try it, you could get an astoran straight sword to kill the skellies, (found near the back entrance to blighttown, bring firebombs or lots of arrows.)
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:27 am

big grin Hydra dragon is now deceased cheers thanks for all you helpful tips. There were two heads which were a nightmare to cut off but luckily (very luckily) i had a longbow and decent arrows to finish the off.
    I am guessing that the guy in the garden with the phantom is a NPC - the git killed me but due to all the ents i needed to restock on fireballs.
    I also had another crack at blighttown with my spider shield - altough i am making progess (very slow) they are still routinely kicking my backside so as suggested earlier i think i may need to up my endurance as this is still quite low at 17.
    The other half is working tonight so that only means one thing DS NIGHT FOR ME cheers
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 am

Remember the spider shield blocks poison attacks, so use it to keep yourself out of toxin. As well when in Btown if you hear something yell it has been aggroed, don't go searching and exploring when this happens. Wait for it to come to you otherwise you'll have seven ghouls suddenly come at you out of nowhere.
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 am

Arrrgghhhh....... The forest is doing my head in.............
    Whilst going about my business of exploring the garden, the basin and the forest two things robbed me of my 20,000 souls in total (and yes, i was screaming at my TV and i gave my controller a severe talking to..)
    1 - A phontom NPC knight in the forest - can these be killed using "normal" methods. I have also witnessed a human form, am i correct in thinking that the phantom is controlled by this human? do i have to kill them both. i was overrun with ents then arrows started wizzing by my head, so i ran to the source and was duely killed for my efforts. Arghhh number 1.
    2 - After using an alternate route i found myself in another section of the forest, although it may have been the garden (up from the hydra dragon), i found a turret / tower. Climbed up and messages were wrote saying saint ahead etc. so i walked upto this man who instantly attacks me for no reason and kills me . arghhhh number 2. Is this another coventent and because i'm still with the way of the white he attacks me??
    3 - I know I said two but this is something different. On my travels i sometimes see solid white rings ??? they dont seem to do anything but i have no idea what they are... any ideas???
    RANT OVER..... Anyway last night i spent 2-3 hours on DS, gathered about 20,000 souls and lost the lot sad and i needed them for the crest of astoria (the round thing) for the gate. GUTTED

Last edited by undead lee on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I need english lessons)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 am

1-Those are Forest Hunter NPC's, they use a ring to make themselves harder to see to hunt you. If you kill the knight he will not respawn, but the others do. They can be killed through any means, they're just people who are hard to see.

2-In the stone building of the tower I believe you are talking about it Alvina the cat, upon talking to her you can join the Forest Hunters which is a PvP cov, I'm a member of that group actually. I wouldn't advise it at such a low level though, forest PvP is brutal.

3-Those are Miracle Synergy marks, from areas where people have used many miracles mostly WotG. If you have the appropriated miracle and use it near to them your effect gets a boost.
    Bawheidbob
    Bawheidbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Bawheidbob Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Please do not mind my just wanted to say that this has been a good topic for me to read as i am also a new soul to this game and by the sounds of things you are just in front of me from a gameplay point of view so i will be lurking around keeping up to date on your progress happy
    undead lee
    undead lee
    Regular
    Regular

Post by undead lee Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:07 am

H E L P ........
    I'm having a nightmare........ The fat guys with the clubs are doin my head in, in Blightown.
    I spent last night upgrading my spider shield to +5, i've tried various armour configurations, various weapons and methods, gone in light, gone in heavy, gone with spells, and upped my strength to 20, Dex is at 17, Vit at about 18 and i'm getting slaughtered !!!
    Upto now the best i've done is cast a hiden body spell (its cool for getting the first big hit in), Drake Sword back stab to start with, then "TRY" to get around the back again without falling off - which i'm doing ALOT.
    I've tried a flaming Helbard @ +6, which was OK, a magical enhanced Helberd which Mmmmm was still just OK. Magic doesn't seem to work too well on them.
    OK - Normally i see the trend - first of all enemies kill you, then after a while you get to know their moves and you know which weapon is the best to kill them but these motherfunsters are taking the prevarbial.
    I spent 4 hours last night not getting anywhere fast, in fact i got nowhere......
    I would like someone who is about a level 38'ish to advise on their technique... or am i been inpatient, which is more than likely.
    RANT OVER......
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am

undead lee wrote:H E L P ........
    I'm having a nightmare........ The fat guys with the clubs are doin my head in, in Blightown.
    I spent last night upgrading my spider shield to +5, i've tried various armour configurations, various weapons and methods, gone in light, gone in heavy, gone with spells, and upped my strength to 20, Dex is at 17, Vit at about 18 and i'm getting slaughtered !!!
    Upto now the best i've done is cast a hiden body spell (its cool for getting the first big hit in), Drake Sword back stab to start with, then "TRY" to get around the back again without falling off - which i'm doing ALOT.
    I've tried a flaming Helbard @ +6, which was OK, a magical enhanced Helberd which Mmmmm was still just OK. Magic doesn't seem to work too well on them.
    OK - Normally i see the trend - first of all enemies kill you, then after a while you get to know their moves and you know which weapon is the best to kill them but these motherfunsters are taking the prevarbial.
    I spent 4 hours last night not getting anywhere fast, in fact i got nowhere......
    I would like someone who is about a level 38'ish to advise on their technique... or am i been inpatient, which is more than likely.
    RANT OVER......

Killing these big boys is more technique and patience than suitable weapon or armor really, so just use the weapon you like most. Make sure you dont aggro more than one at a time, if you want to block their atacks the spider shield is great but blocking is not really reccomended because they will exhaust your stamina heavily meaning that the next block you do will definitely break your guard. Treat them like the mushroom parents.. they are a big walking chunk of meat so you just have to backstub them smartly and with patience and many times, no way to one shot them.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:33 am

If you can lure them one by one out of the bridge and position yourself to backstab them off the ledge to their death, that is what I did. You might also try force to knock them off guard and possibly make them step over the edge and die.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 pm