Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
BIG TIME MASTER
Sentiel
Nybbles
AnCapaillMor
Mr. Tart
Emergence
EeAyEss
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Marino.
Rynn
mugenis4real
psychichobo
Carphil
Reaperfan
NPCWhiteMage
skarekrow13
alchemydesign
Soris Ice Goldwing
Animaaal
LunarFog
Serious_Much
sonofartorias
SpecialNewb
befowler
Peaceful Wollyhop
Bloodpact91
Shindori
31 posters

Mages: Why the hate?

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 Empty Re: Mages: Why the hate?

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Animaaal wrote:I think all the "one hit kill" youtube vids are dragonbros using strength weapons though....
    >Streaming
    >Cast Power Within
    >Slam someone for 1300 damage with great combustion.

If people were trying, a mage would get 1 hit kills too.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm

A melee glass cannon can achieve more damage than a magic glass cannon, but then you lack range, except if you're using the pike.

Personal preferece. magic is much more reliable for high damage at lower levels

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Rynn wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:I think all the "one hit kill" youtube vids are dragonbros using strength weapons though....
    >Streaming
    >Cast Power Within
    >Slam someone for 1300 damage with great combustion.

If people were trying, a mage would get 1 hit kills too.

1300 is nothing to scoff at, I'm just saying the monster numbers aren't coming from castings outside of buffs.

I do think some ways of casting are a little cheap, but they are just as cheap as certain other playstyles.

Casting is not where the OHKOs are, they are in the Dragon Covenant and Strength weapons.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Lets be honest, any old person can get anything to one shot people, that points fairly moot.

The thing people need to realise is that the reason magic is so powerful is the fact it's limited casts. Once it's gone, it's gone. However any giant weapon you can swing and get anywhere between 500-800 damage it not seen as over powered?s

You gotta remember also the balancing isn't done for PvP. People always relate balancing back to PvP. The game isn't about PvP it's about PvE and for mages to be any good you need those buff items and maybe you can have a pure caster if you're playing your cards right.

If you ask me, is magic overpowered? Hell no. If you had to go 10 fights straight in PvP to determine which build was the best, what kinda of build wins? The answer is obvious, and it's not the mage. Magic only becomes over powered when people use it to dual, then go back to bonfire, come back. In extended PvP without breaks, it's nigh on useless after 2-3 fights against good opponents.
    NPCWhiteMage
    NPCWhiteMage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by NPCWhiteMage Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Lets be honest, any old person can get anything to one shot people, that points fairly moot.

The thing people need to realise is that the reason magic is so powerful is the fact it's limited casts. Once it's gone, it's gone. However any giant weapon you can swing and get anywhere between 500-800 damage it not seen as over powered?s

You gotta remember also the balancing isn't done for PvP. People always relate balancing back to PvP. The game isn't about PvP it's about PvE and for mages to be any good you need those buff items and maybe you can have a pure caster if you're playing your cards right.

If you ask me, is magic overpowered? Hell no. If you had to go 10 fights straight in PvP to determine which build was the best, what kinda of build wins? The answer is obvious, and it's not the mage. Magic only becomes over powered when people use it to dual, then go back to bonfire, come back. In extended PvP without breaks, it's nigh on useless after 2-3 fights against good opponents.
    I love you. Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 639795459
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 pm

In PvE they have still failed. If I can make combustion do 600 damage a cast, when i get 32 per rest at the bonfire, I can kill enough enemies while spamming it to go from bonfire to bonfire safely. I'd still have Great Fireball and Great Combustion for bosses, please keep that in mind.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Rynn wrote:In PvE they have still failed. If I can make combustion do 600 damage a cast, when i get 32 per rest at the bonfire, I can kill enough enemies while spamming it to go from bonfire to bonfire safely. I'd still have Great Fireball and Great Combustion for bosses, please keep that in mind.

So a guy puts all his stats and souls into making a good pyro flame and his equipment is tailor made around pure casting pyro, its not fair they can go through the level using the pyro, then the guy who's made his build around a strength weapon goes through hitting just as much without fear of running out is okay?

That's perfectly fine in my book. Souls is simply using what you got to get from A to B. If they method works then it's good. Every ability and weapon is a tool at your disposal. Choose whichever you want, but if someone chooses a different tool thats better in some places than others, then complain about it's strengths then it's just a bit silly.

I agree though, pyro is OP considering how easy it is to farm souls, and considering the low cost of upgrading a pyro flame. I've always been one who's said that to even it up pyro should use stamina to cast, but that's for the next game. All in all though, it's just a different method of dealing damage. Others do far more damage over a longer time, just different pros and cons to the methods you prefer to deal damage with

Last edited by Serious_Much on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

And into the link it shall go... :weap-enchanted:
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm

That's a good summary Serious
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Animaaal wrote:And into the link it shall go... Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 187739277
    If you talk about the magic buffs, I say conserve them till needed, it is better to not waste those for any unneeded situation.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:And into the link it shall go... Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 187739277
    If you talk about the magic buffs, I say conserve them till needed, it is better to not waste those for any unneeded situation.

No lol. I have a thread dedicated to mages. One of the sections in it is called "For Ego Links".

Its a section I put together to give mages a laugh while reading about all the hate.

Seriously, some of these discussions get pretty hilarious. lol
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Shindori wrote:same damage output can be done with a buffed ultra greatsword. Max out the damage, buff it, use power within, red tearstone ring, hornet ring, and land a nice little riposte or backstab.

That would put you within OHKO range .
    You can buff Magic with the Dusk Crown, the Dragon Ring and the Red Tearsstone to get more Damage .
    Your point is invalid .

Thing with Magic is that you just have to press one button and deal great damage and if you add lag into it you have something simliar to Phantom hits and lagstabs which are annoying.
    Mages are boring to fight as and fight against and the fact that Magic is so powerful means that Mages win more often than not .

Melee is more fun to play as since you have more variety in tactics and more defensive options .

It's simple really . People want to have fun and getting OHKOed or having to constantly dodge Soul spears/Dark Bead isn't fun at all .
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Animaaal wrote:

No lol. I have a thread dedicated to mages. One of the sections in it is called "For Ego Links".

Its a section I put together to give mages a laugh while reading about all the hate.

not only funny but pretty good to learn about the mechanics and become a better PVPer
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm

I'll say this: I have no plans to delete my mage builds. twisted

And sorry if I have 0 sympathy for the forest gankers that get to eat all of my Dark Beads. In that instance I'm not really looking to provide my opponent with a fun fight.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I'll say this: I have no plans to delete my mage builds. twisted

And sorry if I have 0 sympathy for the forest gankers that get to eat all of my Dark Beads. In that instance I'm not really looking to provide my opponent with a fun fight.

A fun example by rosie:

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Rynn wrote:In PvE they have still failed. If I can make combustion do 600 damage a cast, when i get 32 per rest at the bonfire, I can kill enough enemies while spamming it to go from bonfire to bonfire safely. I'd still have Great Fireball and Great Combustion for bosses, please keep that in mind.

So a guy puts all his stats and souls into making a good pyro flame and his equipment is tailor made around pure casting pyro, its not fair they can go through the level using the pyro, then the guy who's made his build around a strength weapon goes through hitting just as much without fear of running out is okay?

That's perfectly fine in my book. Souls is simply using what you got to get from A to B. If they method works then it's good. Every ability and weapon is a tool at your disposal. Choose whichever you want, but if someone chooses a different tool thats better in some places than others, then complain about it's strengths then it's just a bit silly.

I agree though, pyro is OP considering how easy it is to farm souls, and considering the low cost of upgrading a pyro flame. I've always been one who's said that to even it up pyro should use stamina to cast, but that's for the next game. All in all though, it's just a different method of dealing damage. Others do far more damage over a longer time, just different pros and cons to the methods you prefer to deal damage with
    I picked pyromancy for that example for a reason. The stats required to have a pyromancer that has enough spells to wipe the entire level, and still kill the boss, is level 39. Level 50 if you want some vitality for mistakes.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Rynn, I'd also like to remind you that while that may be the case, balancing is not made for people like us, those who know every last stat, item location and exact levels done to the bone.

No regular souls player is gonna be able to finish the game solo with an SL39 pure pyro caster. The level of skill requiring to do so is much higher than your average player, and really thats why i gotta say your point isn't very valid.

For the purposes of anyone stumbling through the game, pyro is helpful but not game breaking. If you're good enough to go through the game at SL39 with pure pyro making 0 errors then really it doesn't matter what kind of build you use, it's still gonna be easy for you.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I'll say this: I have no plans to delete my mage builds. twisted

A fun example by rosie:

Yeah, I've seen it. Entertaining as is the norm out of a Rosie video.

Anyway this is my Forest Hunter build (roughly): https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=302601814542664265

Bring it! What?!? Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 3596227959
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 pm

That build is monstrous.

Just goes to show how intense an SL200 build can really be!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Animaaal wrote:

where is this thread?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Carphil wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:

not only funny but pretty good to learn about the mechanics and become a better PVPer

Wow if that statment is directed at my thread then thanks! Bow

If its meant generally for threads like this, then I couldn't agree more. I've been casting forever now, and I always pick up something new from threads like this.

@Serious

Its "For tha love of Castings". I really dont want to promote it in here though. It feels a little disrespectful. I hope no one takes it that way.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Okay Pendant...that is pretty scary for a mage. I seen a lot but chances are there is a 25% I win every fight and 75% I loss every fight. Though what's with the empty att slot?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 pm

It's another Dark Bead. I guess, for whatever reason, it didn't save. Mages: Why the hate? - Page 3 3358384175
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 pm

I will put it simply:

I HATE ALL OFFENSIVE MAGIC. I just do.

If anyone has seen my anti-thesis to magic build, then you know my stance.

Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:29 am