Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
billy_bayonet
Animaaal
Rynn
Myztyrio
IV_Mark_VI
Serious_Much
Soris Ice Goldwing
The Letter X
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
LunarFog
15 posters

The ultimate test of skill

The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

The ultimate test of skill - Page 3 Empty Re: The ultimate test of skill

Post by The Letter X Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:16 pm

billy_bayonet wrote:Broadsword not viable.....pfft i'll show you the power of it winking

Who said the Broadsword wasn't viable? :x
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Sorry but using the worst weapon and armor set at its lowest damage out put would be the ultimate test in skill. Anything other then that your simply fooling yourself. But at least you show some honesty stating you know you would not win at all by doing that. But isnt that the point? How else would you ever see improvement in your skill. Saw a japanese guy kill 3 people with just a rapier. He didnt parry or back stab at all, nor did he use spells. And he didnt even have a shield. Thats the ultimate test in skill. Seen a similar situation but in a 1v1 where a guy used broken hilt naked and won against a tank build. Using great "weapons" is not really challenging yourself. Remember the Ultimate test is to kill one or multiple opponents while dealing the least amount of damage possible. Putting yourself at a huge disadvantage while giving your opponents all the advantages possible. Now you may not win every fight, but when you do win you walk away with the satisfaction knowing you beat someone who needed buffs in weapon and magic output damage to fight you, while you defeated them with skill. That basically answers the question who was the better fighter in the battle. Just my opin. Good luck in your journey to testing yourself to becoming a highly skilled fighter.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm

lorenzo110 wrote:Sorry but using the worst weapon and armor set at its lowest damage out put would be the ultimate test in skill. Anything other then that your simply fooling yourself.

A test is something you could actually win. I'm going to TEST myself. What I'm not going to attempt to bash someone over 1800 times with a broken straight sword because I'm doing 1 damage. There's more than one way to test for something. If you think that there's no other way then you're a fool.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Really fun idea. Also, if you want to add a little to the challenge: when you use the slower weapons, try to have little poise against an enemy with decent/lots of poise. That way you'd be truly superior to the other, if he/she has (about) equally upgraded equipment ofcourse silly
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Lunarfog there are levels of testing but even you realize a true test is to make it difficult for yourself. Not minor difficult, because then you are really not testing yourself that much. As I have stated I have seen others do extreme testing of their skill and proven it is possible to win fights even at such difficult circumstances. So it is possible. But again only you know what skill level you have and it may not be enough to truly test yourself so you may go the "light way of testing" method. So the question becomes are you truly testing yourself at all? I as a veteran player would take a person more serious in the testing of their skill if they were more apt to put themselves at a higher degree of difficulty then say a minor. Its like saying " Today I wont use the great sword +15 I will challenge myself with the sword of artorias plus 5." Really? Testing will do you no good under these circumstances. For real testing to be effective you may want to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. What is the goal your striving for? I have fought basically all the PVP players on PS3 like Martrysbrigade and Mrbushido and others including many of the higher skilled japanese players. I know when a person is truly testing themselves and when they are not. If you are looking to achieve that type of skill set "minor testing" will not do it. You need to throw away the notion of success by victories, like they have. Once you free yourself of that mentality then your on your way to implementing a true testing method of your skill. As well as attaining success. Good luck.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm sure you had some ...points to that wall of text but for the life of me I can't bring myself to read it. I'm sure you mentioned japanese players again though.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

LunarFog wrote:I'm sure you had some ...points to that wall of text but for the life of me I can't bring myself to read it. I'm sure you mentioned japanese players again though.

He basically said to try harder to challenge yourself.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

He does that a bit and yes Lunar he did mention Japanese players being highly skilled, something I find debatable. Lorenzo realize she has a number of builds that are extremely powerful and is a master of the spear who has many kills behind her, from just about every situation. I'm pretty sure she can test herself a lot harder than some of us are willing to try. But who am I to say this when she can herself.
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Sorry if the text was a bit advanced but as Letter X summed up my point expertly, yes try harder to challenge yourself. Thanks X.
    tinypantha
    tinypantha
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by tinypantha Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Leather Shield?! Why is this on that list? The leather shield is amazing. It has a quicker parry recover than most other shields...
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:45 pm

LunarFog wrote:AS long as they're not travelling in packs, I can handle wizards. You just gotta be patient and lame it out until they run out of spells and break their moonlight greatsword.

I'm not doing a "starting class" challenge because that would require a lot more menu swapping from me. I don't even know if I'll be able to to swap between 3 armor sets and about 15 weapons let alone about 10 armor sets and 20 weapons.

And the mail breaker, black knight great sword and long bow don't seem as basic as rapier, great sword, and short bow.

1) How though? You aren't even going to allow yourself a shield with decent magic damage reduction. To top it off, you can't use VoS, SMS, or GMB....

...why not allow yourself the red and white or that green caduceus one?

I think it would be warranted.

2) I was just razzin ya about weapons and such. I just think the short bow would be easier to use against invaders as compared tothe long bow, again just pokin the bear.

I like your idea. Good Luck.

PS-You cant always roll through magic, a good mage will make you pay for that....maybe...
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Soris many are experts in the use of spear. Believe me, many. I duel wield spear and katana. Its nothing new. Plus builds and skill are two different things. She is trying to achieve a higher skill, not a higher build. Skill is much more difficult to achieve. Builds will only allow you certain advantages against other builds, not against skill players. A skilled player can fight you naked with just a broken hilt and kill you if he's more advanced in skill then you are, regardless of your build. Again Im only going by my experiance, and I am sure yours may be different. But I have the experiance of fighting against all the well known PS3 fighters. All. My top ten fighters consist of almost all japanese players. Dont take offense but again its coming from all the experiance that I have had in this game from day 1 in the PVP aspect. Its not to say there are not good US or EURO players in DKS. I just have my opinion and standards I look for and at when facing players who possess high skill and who use no gimmicks or buffs what so ever. Most are japanese.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 pm

My opinion Lorenzo is that the build is the means to justify our skill in combat. I am a chaos katana wielder and while some say that is a bad choice(blame the spammers) I take my skill from a samurai book about combat strategy and skill through hard learning. From that book I have learned what I think is the true way to use a katana and practice it against all opponents. But that is me. I have fought Lunar before and she fights with deadly attacks from her practice against her foes and I only had won over her twice yet she still proves to be my better(Still want a rematch Lunar). If I give an honest opinion, which she likely knows herself, is that she knows her above par skill and wants to take it to the next level. Part of this is too try and mimic another person's build items. Think of it like this: can the original beat the weaker clone? If no then she has proven to be better since it comes down to who has the better skill to use the same build better.

Edit: As it gets later my thoughts begin to scatter and it becomes a bit harder to write long post without losing focus. So remind if I start losing focus.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Anyone who wants a quick and simple challenge should just use the Calamity Ring. I understand Lunar's desire for a challenge, so her idea would most likely be best for her. But gimping yourself so badly that you are only using a broken sword sounds more like torture than a challenge.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 pm

lorenzo110 wrote:Soris many are experts in the use of spear. Believe me, many.
    I've never been beaten by another spear user.

lorenzo110 wrote:I duel wield spear and katana. Its nothing new. Plus builds and skill are two different things. She is trying to achieve a higher skill, not a higher build. Skill is much more difficult to achieve.
    This build is about me trying to achieve higher skill, which is why I made this build.

lorenzo110 wrote:Builds will only allow you certain advantages against other builds, not against skill players. A skilled player can fight you naked with just a broken hilt and kill you if he's more advanced in skill then you are, regardless of your build.
    What advantage does this build have over other builds at the same level? And I doubt any skilled player will ever win against someone with even a moderate amount of skill with a BROKEN SWORD and no armor. if you're going to try and make examples at least be realistic and don't exagerate, otherwise you sound dumb.

lorenzo110 wrote:Again Im only going by my experiance, and I am sure yours may be different. But I have the experiance of fighting against all the well known PS3 fighters. All. My top ten fighters consist of almost all japanese players. Dont take offense but again its coming from all the experiance that I have had in this game from day 1 in the PVP aspect. Its not to say there are not good US or EURO players in DKS. I just have my opinion and standards I look for and at when facing players who possess high skill and who use no gimmicks or buffs what so ever. Most are japanese.

For some reason I'm calling BS on almost everything you've said. It could be your rep, or maybe I just don't like you, but I don't really believe anything you've said yet.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm

All of this aside for a moment how has this challenge been going for you Lunar?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

She still hates mages i bet lol.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Soris Ice Goldwing wrote:All of this aside for a moment how has this challenge been going for you Lunar?

I was too sick to get out of my bed the whole weekend so the build is still SL 20. I'll try to have it done by this weekend.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Animaaal wrote:She still hates mages i bet lol.
    Oh yea. That isn't going to be changing any time soon. My attention might get drawn to something else for me to hate, but it'll still be there.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Why use a shield when you can dodge mages? Sorry animal while your cause is honorable I do have a dislike to mages.

Well that sucks Lunar hope you get better and...well how can I put this? Well would you mind mimicking my 100? I realized that when I wrote that post Lorenzo that it would likely benefit both of us to see who is better: the original or the copy? Sound interesting?
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 am

Well Lunar thats why I think I can call BS on your intentions of wanting to get better. You are trapped in this builds mentality. The game is not structured that way. That is a player structure imposed by those that choose to stay at 120. You need to look beyond that and aquire skill. Of course your not going to lose much fighting at 120 LOL. The percentages dictate you will be facing invaders who are mostly noob players or invading them. I fight at the higher levels where I am challenged by mostly people my own experiance and skill level. Once in a great while I will get a 120 who invades me and crush them. Not because of build but because of skill and my counter knowledge. You have to understand the game mechanics which doesnt sound like you do. Again percentages dictate you will be apt to face low level invaders or invade lower levels for the most part at a higher percentance then say a max level fighter will. Learn to challenge yourself. Strip away your mentality that builds defines pvp game play. It does not. Skill does. I have played DS and DKS and platinum both. I have thousands of hours experiance in this game. Since you claim your a pro with the spear go into the forest naked with just your spear and nothing else. No spells or buffs or even rings to boost attack damage. Start that way in challenging yourself. Then build from that. Most of the youtubers and very good skilled players did that. They fought at a disadvantage against multiple opponents and the "learned" how to advance their "skill". Otherwise you will never ever be as good as you are right now and will always have problems against players that are better skilled then you. They work at it the old fashion way, by losing alot and fighting at a disadvantage in order to grow and learn as a player the counters and attack skills they need to become very good players. You seem more preoccupied with winning all the time and being the "Best" spear fighter in DKS, whatever that maybe lol. I have yet to see anyone be the best at anything in DKS, period. There is always something new to learn about this game and anyone saying or claiming they are the greatest can not be taken serious at all. Nor do they have any intentions of wanting to be better. Hubris is the fall of many who think themselves great, because in the end they are not. Its doubtful you will do this because I have seen many players like you come and go. They get bored eventually because all they can do is 1v1 but when it comes to challenging themselves to become better they find out they lack the motivation and are discouraged by constantly losing. They cant fight without having to rely on buff advantages in rings and spells. Veterans dont respect players like that they admire the ones that challenge themselves by fighting at a disadvantage and winning against all odds. Impress people by being different and dont be another cookie cutter build fighter like everyone else that stays at 120. The forest awaits you. Challenge yourself. Becuase reading your messages is only proving you really have no intentions to do just that. Great spear pro? I never heard of you. And I have fought them all on PS3. Good luck though, maybe I'll see you in the forest and you can show me your pro skills. Till then I'll just call BS on that lol.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 am

wtf???^

@Soris, ya lol, but you can't dodge everything,not by me anyway lol.

@Lunar is that it then? Just rollin dude? Ehem, I mean girlfriend?,
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 am

I think this needs to be said.Grow the hell up children,this thread was about Lunar trying to challenge herself, page 5 has too much of argument over who is a pro.

Having said that,I applaud Lunar's decision to use the more basic weapons and armour.I see far too many builds that look exactly the same these days with their 'optimal' gear. silly
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:56 am

Krazykev again im only giving her advice. But apparantly someone made the comment that she was a pro spear user. Again who isnt. How that even pretains to this thread is beyond me, but oh well. Again if someone is looking to challenge themselves then use the least damage output weapon with no armor and magic. And calamity ring as another suggested. Anything less then that you really are not challenging yourself. The object to "the ultimate test of skill" is to fight at the greatest disadvantage you can while giving your opponents the higher advantage. If not then take the "ultimate" out of the equation and use "some what" test of skill. That to me better defines this thread. Because it sure does not sound like its an ultimate test at all. Just my opin.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 am

I don't really want to continue the argument, but I just want to say that Lunar is on the Xbox and not PS3, Lorenzo. So you should not be assuming anything about her even if you've fought all the greatest on the PS3.

Even if what you say is true about the higher SL's providing better players, the community can be much different on Xbox and could prove to be the opposite of what you are claiming.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:27 am