Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Shindori
nsane32
User1
Noob-of-Artorias
Dubscythe
aceluby
Mr. Tart
Onion Knight
passivefamiliar
BeeSeaEss
Tolvo
WyrmHero
Rynn
The Letter X
densetsushun
GrinTwist
AnCapaillMor
EeAyEss
22 posters

CoD. The shooting one. Why the hate? Also, mainstream sell-out woes. Ac3, ME, etc.

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

CoD. The shooting one. Why the hate? Also, mainstream sell-out woes. Ac3, ME, etc. - Page 2 Empty Re: CoD. The shooting one. Why the hate? Also, mainstream sell-out woes. Ac3, ME, etc.

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 am

Tolvo wrote:I suppose if I were to explain why I personally dislike CoD, in short I consider it shlock. The amount of effort put into them is so low with a low quality output really irks me considering a good deal of people consider each new one "Game of the year." To me it would be like seeing Transformers 2 be considered the greatest film the year it came out. It was a commercial success and earned a lot of money world wide, absolutely awful film.

That's just my opinion, when I feel that with a map maker tool I could create more creative levels in a week makes me really question how much work these people even put into their games.

It seems like nowadays, media of the year seems to be media that made the most money.

WyrmHero wrote:By the way I'm starting to hate Assassin's Creed as well. A game that releases every year without much improvements doesn't deserve my $60. I think everyone hates milking in general.
    I'm starting to hate AC as well. I hate Ubisoft so much for what they've done to it.

Tolvo, though I can see where you're coming from, 2 was still about assassinations, though this time they were personal. I think the point of Assassin's Creed shifted from a game based off Alamut, to a series with a more complex story based around Assassin and Templar fighting. Somewhere along the line they just lost it. The Ezio trilogy was still good for me, I would even be bold enough to say that Brotherhood was my favorite.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

CoD. The shooting one. Why the hate? Also, mainstream sell-out woes. Ac3, ME, etc. - Page 2 Empty Re: CoD. The shooting one. Why the hate? Also, mainstream sell-out woes. Ac3, ME, etc.

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:40 am

EeAyEss wrote:That's what "Ezio" means? That's... no comment.
    Ezio actually means eagle, it's part of their recurring theme of naming their protagonists after eagles or flying beings.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:41 am

Ah. Then Tolvo, what did you mean by "playing as an Italian warrior named Assassin?"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

You're character is called an assassin, yet you are more of a fighter or warrior.

Assassins are supposed to use stealth, hell there were a lot of times where they would kill a target then get massacred by the arriving guards if they couldn't get out before anyone knew. Assassins were trained in combat, but they could take on may two guys if they were really lucky.

I suppose this also stems from how I was introduced to the series.

"Tolvo, you should try Assassin's Creed! I have the first and second, it's a really great historical game about assassins. The amount of accuracy is breath taking."

Then I found out Knight Templar, the real life allies of the Assassins, were the main antagonist.

It also didn't help that he really believed in the Templar conspiracy presented in the game.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 am

EeAyEss wrote:Ah. Then Tolvo, what did you mean by "playing as an Italian warrior named Assassin?"
    I think he meant that the game was a lot more action oriented than stealth based, hence his description of Ezio as a warrior calling himself an assassin.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am

Tolvo wrote:
    It also didn't help that he really believed in the Templar conspiracy presented in the game.
    I have a friend just like that, everytime he talks about stuff like the Templars or, god forbid, the Masons, I feel like I'm about to pop an aneurysm.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:51 am

Inb4 Dynasty Warriors Conspiracies.

EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 am

I was confused because he capitalized Assassin. It would have been more clear if he said, "...playing as a warrior called an assassin..."

But besides that I get what you mean. Same thing happened to the ME series. Very RPG like in the first, became action game.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Did you ever watch the trailer with the Assassin charging a platoon all by himself, dodging barrages of bullets by going behind rocks, then somehow leaping over a line of bayonets to kill the commander?

That sums up why I hate the AC series in a nutshell.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm

^lol
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm

A real assassin would have been one of the British soldiers, stabbed the commander in the back in the midst of bunfire, then disappeared. Not that action shiz.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Tolvo wrote:Did you ever watch the trailer with the Assassin charging a platoon all by himself, dodging barrages of bullets by going behind rocks, then somehow leaping over a line of bayonets to kill the commander?

That sums up why I hate the AC series in a nutshell.
    AC3. 'nuff said.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, I also don't understand why assassins have uniforms.

"That guy over there, he's the assassin! I mean seriously, he's wearing their uniform and has weapons hanging off of him everywhere!"

It's a classic issue I see with assassins in most stories.

Assassin walks into town, a group of guards arrest him for being an assassin.

Assassin-"How did you know I was a killer?"

Guard-"You are wearing black leather armor with a cloak. You try to look menacing, and had sixteen knives on you. A sword was hanging off your waist, and correct if I'm wrong but you are wearing the standard armor of the order of assassins."

Assassin-"Damnit, I can't believe the guards saw through my stealthiness!"
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

I wouldnt say hate. Thats a strong word. I just never can play more than like 5, maybe 6 or 7 matches. Then i'm just bored or its to hard/easy. I'll get in a lobby where i'm just amazing, due to children playingi figure, or i'm in a lobby with teams that just destroy me and its no fun.

I bought blackops when it came out and i adore the botmode/zombies. But even that i can't play for to long. I'm nowhere near a pro gamer or anything, but cod games take very little skill to be generally succesfull at a match. And those that are skilled are ridiculous and seem to clean house solo every match.

The game has its place, but i cant dish out 60 bucks for the new one each time, thankfully the community is large enough that typically seems like the most current one is not much more active than the previous, and sometimes even the 3rd latest is active enough. Bargain bin,sales work fine for me.

And i'll admit a 10 minute timer that essentially forces you to stop playing for a minute or two is great to kill time before work or waiting for someone.
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by EeAyEss Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 pm

It's funny that the multiplayer is the most assassin-y than the story. Like really. Also, the multiplayer is hella fun.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd probably rather buy the Ship if I had a PC, it has a more in depth version of the AC multiplayer and is also an older game.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Tolvo wrote:Yeah, I also don't understand why assassins have uniforms.

"That guy over there, he's the assassin! I mean seriously, he's wearing their uniform and has weapons hanging off of him everywhere!"

It's a classic issue I see with assassins in most stories.

Assassin walks into town, a group of guards arrest him for being an assassin.

Assassin-"How did you know I was a killer?"

Guard-"You are wearing black leather armor with a cloak. You try to look menacing, and had sixteen knives on you. A sword was hanging off your waist, and correct if I'm wrong but you are wearing the standard armor of the order of assassins."

Assassin-"Damnit, I can't believe the guards saw through my stealthiness!"

It's the same reason why you never see protagonists with full helmets: They have to be distinguishable. Someone has to be able to clearly see that he's either one of the good guys, or the head honcho of the good guys.

EeAyEss wrote:It's funny that the multiplayer is the most assassin-y than the story. Like really. Also, the multiplayer is hella fun.
    Agreed. It suck though that everyone's moved on to Deathmatch, Wanted is so much more fun and allows for more stealth.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Don't get me started on the lack of helmets!

I was watching the show Merlin, and in it Arthur wears Chain Mail, and sometimes a helmet. Usually he doesn't, and every time I just sit their yelling "You *** idiot, if you wore a full plate helm you'd be nearly unkillable in CQC! Put on a helmet you *** idiot!"
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    "Tolvo, you should try Assassin's Creed! I have the first and second, it's a really great historical game about assassins. The amount of accuracy is breath taking."

Welcome to the world of pain that is being a medieval historian and a gamer.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 pm

You're using a katana against a guy in plate armor!

Just stop!

That's my Dark Souls version.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Hate CoD. Main reason? Quickscoping. I can do it, so that isn't why i'm whining. In fact, i did it frequently in the past. And i did so successfully.

I just think it ruins the game, and i don't see the fun in it in general. I think the maps in the CoD games are too small and always the same but with different settings. The campaign never stands out that muc IMO. I did like the Modern Warfare campaigns though(although i never played MW3 campaign).

There are just so many better FPS IMO, compared to CoD. And the fact that they more or less repeat the same games with few changes and still make money on it seems like a valid reason to hate on them in my reason. There are lots of games that have potential, but never get the chance because of bad marketing, and then comes CoD strolling along with the fame it has, with money just pouring in because hey, it is CoD.

That is what i feel about CoD anyway.

The biggest reason why i hate CoD is quickscoping. Something that has occured in more games than just CoD, but it stands out even more in CoD. In fact, whenever i try to play CoD 90% of the people quickscope. Or at the very least try to. It just isn't fun to me.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Just don't read comments on assassins creed videos on youtube, it'll shorten your life by 5 years.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:55 pm

I hate the way it's marketed. I really liked MW and played the hell out of it, but then a year after it was basically obsolete, and the only reason they do it is for $$$. The next installment is just a map pack anyway, utilizing the same engine, maybe some tweaks here or there, but overall it's the same game. Why would I pay $60 for a map pack? In dark souls terms, it would be like paying $60 for the new dark souls, but the single player game only lasts 10 hours and the multiplayer was just different arenas... and then they do it again a year later. That's why I support DS in any way I can and will never buy another COD. I vote w/ my dollar.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:10 pm

My problem with Call of Duty is that it's a cash cow that's being milked for all of its worth. A new game every year along with $60 worth of DLC, that's $120 a year for a CoD game at full price.

There's also a problem of developers and publishers trying to pander to that audience, purposely dumbing down their own games to try and obtain some of that CoD crowd. I wish they would realize that it's a tactic that will never work.

My last issue is people hailing it as the greatest of FPS games. I don't understand why, yes the gameplay is polished and fast but overall the game is just mindless. There's no skill involved, anyone can just hop in and go on a killing spree unless it's the first time they've held a controller. I feel like people who play these games primarily would be completely lost in any FPS that required a semblance of strategy.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I enjoy CoD and I've bought each installment new since MW2, but I have to say, the gameplay get's really repetitive really quickly. I can't play CoD for months at a time, I need to take breaks, like I'll play it for one week and then take a week off, otherwise I just get sick of the damn thing.

That said...I was amazing at MW2, I frequently beat out supposed "MLG" players.

My Weapon of Choice? The Riot Shield and a Throwing Knife, never failed me in Search and Destroy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 pm