Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up.

Solarin52

Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up. Empty Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up.

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey guys. I am having some issues on the Dark Souls Steam program. I just bought it for the PC (PTD Edition). I did play it for awhile on the xbox console. Anyways, my problem lies right when I load the game. The start up is just fine, perfect, no lag at all. But when I load my character the FPS starts lagging like crazy. I used a recording device to test out how low it is and it stays around 6 to 8 FPS. I also went to this site here to try and help me but to no avail. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition

As you may or may not remember, I came across that site from a forum post on here that was created in 2012. But was abandoned in January 2013.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up. Empty Re: Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up.

Post by User1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 pm

There a few suggestions I can make:

Is your computer powerful enough to run it well? I know you need a good computer by default to run Dark Souls, but it is good enough to run it on it's standard graphics? You can try the low graphics config, or download Gamebooster. It turns off all unnecessary processes outside of the game to maximise your experience.
    Solarin52

Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up. Empty Re: Having some Dark Souls Issues on start up.

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 pm

These are the System Specs that are on the computer. My brother made it from scratch.

System:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 225 Processor 3.10 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 8GB (7.50GB usable)
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System.

^^^^^Thats the basic information. The video card is this: ATI Raedeon HD 4250
    And my default resolution is 1920 x 1080. I am also running the computer screen as my actual T.V. Screen 40inch. If that might help.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Everything about your custom-made computer is very good. 8GB is quite outstanding. Resolution can make your game lag, and the system type has to be 512mb for the optimal experience. I think that might be your problem. Having a TV for your monitor won't actually help, but over long periods of gameplay, your TV most likely won't get very hot inside like a monitor does, and that slows down everything.
    Solarin52

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Is there a way to lower my system type? I tried looking around yesterday for about 4 hours trying to fix this issue but I couldn't find anything.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 pm

The way your computer's programming works determines what type of system bit you have. The programming needs to acknowledge the system type to allow it to work, so changing your system's programming may be the only way. The thing about system types is that, the higher the bit, the more graphical pixels can be displayed on screen at once. 512MB is near top notch, and quite hard to get hold of. But that type of mb means that pretty much any modern game could be run fairly well on higher graphical settings, as long as your computer meets the minimum requirements.
    Solarin52

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

So your basically telling me that the only problem is that I might not even meet the reuirements?
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Pretty much, yes. Everything apart from your bit system is good enough though.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm

That's far better than what i have, yet i can run the game smoothly

Try screwing around in Dsfix ini and disabling anti aliasing
    If you still get low FPS, try also disabling ambient occlusion (should not really have such big impact in Dark Souls, but it's your best bet after AA)

Last edited by Hachouma on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Solarin52

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm

I did disable those in the game. I can't find it on the computer though.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Solarin52 wrote:I did disable those in the game. I can't find it on the computer though.

You should not change graphical settings ingame, that might conflict with dsfix settings
    You can find dsfix.ini in the folder where Dark Souls is installed, you can easily find that folder by right clicking the DkS icon and clicking something along the lines of "Open file location" in windows 7
    If you have XP or earlier, you click "properties" and then "find target"

Besides, for dsfix to work properly, you must disable ingame anti aliasing
    Solarin52

Post by Solarin52 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 pm

I am looking at the DSFix notepad and I don't understand anything on what to do. I'm not that big of a computer know it all.
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 am

Solarin52 wrote:I am looking at the DSFix notepad and I don't understand anything on what to do. I'm not that big of a computer know it all.

That's pretty well explained, there are instructions below every setting
    Just look for anti aliasing, and ambient occlusion, there are usually what have the largest performance hit

You could just use Ctrl+F and type in what you're looking for
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am

There's a dsfix gui mod, that lets you mess with the settings in gui format that will edit the ini for you.

to be honest i think the problem is the gfx card.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:07 am