Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
befowler
Dibsville
Walter_White
Elifia
Pilgrim34
Jansports
Rifter7
DemonOfFate
The_Red_Drifter
Brigade
Soris Ice Goldwing
Saturday-Saint
Tchuwib
grossemesser
WaLKA
Baal-Avatar
GenericUsername
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Tegu
Ezlare
24 posters

I stink at PVP. Any tips?

DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I stink at PVP. Any tips? - Page 2 Empty Re: I stink at PVP. Any tips?

Post by DemonOfFate Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 am

If you haven't already, try mid rolling for a while in a tank style gameplay, you might be surprised at how well it works out, then again, you might hate it. If anything, try setting up some Duels, i'd be willing to help you get used to pvp, and i'm sure plenty of other people on here would.

Oh and id also recommend making a build that can wield all weapons. Something like this http://mmdks.com/1lbu and of course, you would use this build to try every single weapon possible and find which one you like the most, of course this will take time, but it pays off in the end. I'd also mess around with rolls on that build.
    Ezlare
    Ezlare
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Ezlare Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 am

Alright, then. I'm going to try out the builds above a bit, especially the third one. It may take me a while, but it's a start. And thanks, all. I could experiment with all of the things mentioned.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:10 am

This was the best that I could do for high poise and defense as a str/faith. Not my best but fast roll plus a greatsword is not easy with poise without the wolf ring.
    A int build seems easier to use with the vit, and the stats to balance str, dex with some useful magic.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 am

find a weapon you like, play with it as much as you can and adapt the build accordingly... or find a new weapon if it doesn't work.

getting good with your weapon of choice should be the first thing you ever do with the build before you start adding fancy stuff to it- so go for a very simple, durable and mobile build.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am

You want to be strong? You wanna ROLL PLACES HELLA FAST. You want Faith to buff your stuff?

Introducing, The Baddy Buster. Garunteed to Roll R1 all the bads. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=300546147272183456
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 am

You and your clubs, Jans. tongue
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:You and your clubs, Jans. tongue

Me ❤ large club
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am

http://mmdks.com/1le6
    Here's the one I'm using and I am a beginner. It's working well if I can overwhelm their poise and back off.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 pm

It's a strong build but you'll be very vulnerable against a mobile opponent who will find it easy to keep their distance from you and then backstab/riposte- maybe swap the Wolf Ring for Havel's so that you can at least mid-roll?
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Tegu wrote:http://mmdks.com/1le6
    Here's the one I'm using and I am a beginner. It's working well if I can overwhelm their poise and back off.

You have a really weird encumbrance. It's just a tad over 50%.

I'm not really good at PvP either, but lately I've been using this build.
    It's got good defense and hp, allowing for mistakes. The 2 shields mean you always can decide to block stuff, if you want. The only thing you really need to dodge is those lightning spears some clerics like to throw. But that's easy.
    The claymore has a good moveset. It can easily punish BS fishers, and you can stunlock people for a couple of hits.
    And it's only lvl 65, so you probably won't be fighting all the hardcore lvl 120 players.
    I'm actually winning 1vs2 sometimes. So there's gotta be something good about it happy
    Walter_White
    Walter_White
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Walter_White Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    Tegu wrote:Bring poison darts and poison them at the start if you can. Adds stress in their head.

People say that but when it happens to me I just shrug it off. The damage is so negligible that its only real threat is the potential psychological edge it supposedly awards.

bring some I stink at PVP. Any tips? - Page 2 2324285107 that brings more than a little bit pressure - eat moss and you get my sword to eat twisted
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Elifia wrote:

It's got good defense and hp, allowing for mistakes. The 2 shields mean you always can decide to block stuff, if you want. The only thing you really need to dodge is those lightning spears some clerics like to throw. But that's easy.
    The claymore has a good moveset. It can easily punish BS fishers, and you can stunlock people for a couple of hits.
    And it's only lvl 65, so you probably won't be fighting all the hardcore lvl 120 players.
    I'm actually winning 1vs2 sometimes. So there's gotta be something good about it happy
    I'm sorry, I did not properly copy it.
    http://mmdks.com/1lmj
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Tegu wrote:
    Elifia wrote:

You still have this weird 51.1% encumbrance. With just 2 more END you can mid-roll.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Best way to get better at PvP is to go to the forest.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Personally, I didn't find build help to be useful until I was decent at PvP; it was like having a nice car I didn't know how to drive. If you are just starting out, here's what did help me:

1) Watch a bunch of tutorial videos on basic pvp, like avoiding backstabs. Make a list of the techniques and then work on one at a time until you are ok at it before you move to the next, rather than trying to just throw it all together at once. High flying "pro" or fun PvP videos are for later when it's easier to interpret and apply what you are seeing.

2) Pick a weapon you feel comfortable with. Doesn't matter what. Forcing yourself to like a weapon just because others claim it's great or OP is a recipe for frustration. I started with fast weapons with adaptable movesets, like straight swords (which I still really enjoy).

3) Backpedal/dodge a lot, and don't spam attacks. The longer a fight lasts, the more likely you are to learn something from it even if you end up losing anyway. Spamming tends to get you parried or backstabbed, and even if it works you won't learn much. I used to force myself to only do a single R1/R2 attack before rolling/running, even if it connected and the target got stunned.

And have fun! You won't learn anything if you are stressed out, or still fuming over that last lagstab from your prior match.
    Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Elifia wrote:
    Tegu wrote:
    Elifia wrote:

You still have this weird 51.1% encumbrance. With just 2 more END you can mid-roll.

What the heckkk?
    Oh, I just realized I forgot to fix the Iato and onion bro roll.
    http://mmdks.com/1lob
    Tchuwib
    Tchuwib
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Tchuwib Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

befowler wrote:Personally, I didn't find build help to be useful until I was decent at PvP; it was like having a nice car I didn't know how to drive. If you are just starting out, here's what did help me:

1) Watch a bunch of tutorial videos on basic pvp, like avoiding backstabs. Make a list of the techniques and then work on one at a time until you are ok at it before you move to the next, rather than trying to just throw it all together at once. High flying "pro" or fun PvP videos are for later when it's easier to interpret and apply what you are seeing.

2) Pick a weapon you feel comfortable with. Doesn't matter what. Forcing yourself to like a weapon just because others claim it's great or OP is a recipe for frustration. I started with fast weapons with adaptable movesets, like straight swords (which I still really enjoy).

3) Backpedal/dodge a lot, and don't spam attacks. The longer a fight lasts, the more likely you are to learn something from it even if you end up losing anyway. Spamming tends to get you parried or backstabbed, and even if it works you won't learn much. I used to force myself to only do a single R1/R2 attack before rolling/running, even if it connected and the target got stunned.

And have fun! You won't learn anything if you are stressed out, or still fuming over that last lagstab from your prior match.

I have to be a brown nose on this one and say that's the best advice on the list. It's perfect advice for a starter at PvP.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 am

befowler wrote:Personally, I didn't find build help to be useful until I was decent at PvP; it was like having a nice car I didn't know how to drive

IMO getting a good and easy to use build should be step #1 for everybody getting into PvP. Something like Dex hybrid with a buff, or Q with Clay, Halberd, and/or Zwei. Basically something that will let them compete with other players who are around their skill level without having to slog through dozens of hours of losing due to build handicap.

Also having something that actually rewards you for learning basic stuff (which general-use easy builds do) gives new players a really good feedback loop, so they're gonna learn the fundamentals of the game better and faster.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm

You know, now that I see this thread... I stink at pvp too, I need tips.

How do you beat a pair of smart players using katanas and TWOP? They both have at least 77 poise, hornet's ring, more than 2k hp, wotg and dark magic. I keep running into this pair in the forest and losing, when I parry the other one will run up and bs, and they know to execute the running r1s sumultaneously. They can parry too. How do I win?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

^Divine intervention?I stink at PVP. Any tips? - Page 2 3358384175
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Hope they left their rolly cats alive? twisted
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 pm

OrnsteinBro wrote:You know, now that I see this thread... I stink at pvp too, I need tips.

How do you beat a pair of smart players using katanas and TWOP? They both have at least 77 poise, hornet's ring, more than 2k hp, wotg and dark magic. I keep running into this pair in the forest and losing, when I parry the other one will run up and bs, and they know to execute the running r1s sumultaneously. They can parry too. How do I win?

You'd need to stack poise and use WoG/Dark Magic yourself, but it's understandable to lose against something like that almost no matter how good you are

Are they spawn camping?
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

The Letter X wrote:
    OrnsteinBro wrote:You know, now that I see this thread... I stink at pvp too, I need tips.

You'd need to stack poise and use WoG/Dark Magic yourself, but it's understandable to lose against something like that almost no matter how good you are

Are they spawn camping?

Yeah, spawn camping.

skarekrow13 wrote: Hope they left their rolly cats alive? twisted

Everything is dead. I ran them through the cat and mushroom areas. Also, when one BSes the other goes for TWOP instantly.
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 pm

My version c:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=231095777808364963

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:57 pm