Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Satoshi
Dibsville
UmbasaOtter
Saturday-Saint
Incoqnito
9 posters

New to PvP - Strength build tips

Incoqnito

New to PvP - Strength build tips Empty New to PvP - Strength build tips

Post by Incoqnito Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi, I recently started playing online and I have been having some succes with my dex/faith build, but I'm having trouble with strength builds so I want to make one to find out it's weaknesses.

So I would like some tips like what stats to aim for, good weapons and most importantly what the good armor pieces are; I have been playing offline and mostly picked my armor for their looks and not their stats. And tips for someone new to PvP would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

New to PvP - Strength build tips Empty Re: New to PvP - Strength build tips

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat May 04, 2013 3:59 pm

For armor you just want to get 32+ poise, possibly 53+ since you're presumably new and more poise makes life easier when you're new. Other than poise, armor selection only matters if you want to really fine-tune your build, which I wouldn't worry about at this point.

As for stats, get 27 or 40 strength (27 if you plan on exclusively one-handing, 40 if you want to be able to switch between 1H and 2H), enough endurance to fast roll with your armor and weapons, and the rest into vitality.
    UmbasaOtter
    Regular
    Regular

Post by UmbasaOtter Sat May 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:For armor you just want to get 32+ poise, possibly 53+ since you're presumably new and more poise makes life easier when you're new. Other than poise, armor selection only matters if you want to really fine-tune your build, which I wouldn't worry about at this point.

As for stats, get 27 or 40 strength (27 if you plan on exclusively one-handing, 40 if you want to be able to switch between 1H and 2H), enough endurance to fast roll with your armor and weapons, and the rest into vitality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 27 would be for exclusively two handing, would it not?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes, he meant 27 for exclusively 2-handing.

On that note, I'd recommend 50 STR, and at least 18 DEX so you can use the BK weapons. That way you can try out all the STR weapons and see which ones you like.

Also, I'd recommend you try using mid-roll for your build. Although fast roll is always good, I've found better results with mid-roll on my Strength builds, as you move further and it can throw people off.

Try to use a fast weapon in your secondary right hand slot, I personally prefer the Mace because of its high damage (A scaling in STR), and the fact that it stunlocks. It's also pretty fast and of course looks amazing.

People will tell you 53+ poise is all you need, but I'd say you should get at least 56+ poise, as this will allow you to survive some R2s to prevent a few stunlock combos, such as with a Claymore.

You're going to want at least 40 VIT, because let's face it, you're going to get hit while swinging the slow Strength weapons.

Here's my Strength build

Some good weapons to choose from are:
    Demon's Greataxe (Strongest weapon in the game, literally)
    Man-Serpent Greatsword
    Large Club
    Gravelord Sword (Server and Murakumo are weaker due to the fact that Curved Greatswords are DEX weapons)
    Greataxe
    Satoshi
    Satoshi
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Satoshi Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Dibsville wrote:Yes, he meant 27 for exclusively 2-handing.

On that note, I'd recommend 50 STR, and at least 18 DEX so you can use the BK weapons. That way you can try out all the STR weapons and see which ones you like.

Also, I'd recommend you try using mid-roll for your build. Although fast roll is always good, I've found better results with mid-roll on my Strength builds, as you move further and it can throw people off.

Try to use a fast weapon in your secondary right hand slot, I personally prefer the Mace because of its high damage (A scaling in STR), and the fact that it stunlocks. It's also pretty fast and of course looks amazing.

People will tell you 53+ poise is all you need, but I'd say you should get at least 56+ poise, as this will allow you to survive some R2s to prevent a few stunlock combos, such as with a Claymore.

You're going to want at least 40 VIT, because let's face it, you're going to get hit while swinging the slow Strength weapons.

Here's my Strength build

Some good weapons to choose from are:
    Demon's Greataxe (Strongest weapon in the game, literally)
    Man-Serpent Greatsword
    Large Club
    Gravelord Sword (Server and Murakumo are weaker due to the fact that Curved Greatswords are DEX weapons)
    Greataxe

How do you feel about the Black Knight (Great)Sword? I am wondering because people say they both are terrible, but I thought that if you do manage to get a hit off, you could be able to destroy the opponent easily. I tried them both, and never got too many parries. I think it is from others not using it as much as the BKGA.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't like them too much because of their movesets and the fact that they can't be buffed. There are things that are stronger than them with better movesets, the only reason why I even get 18 DEX is because there are just some situations where BK weapons will outright beat any other weapon.
    And the BK Halberd.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sat May 04, 2013 7:32 pm

2handing the Manserpent Greatsword with 40 Str will beat almost anything, it's a fantastic weapon. I also recommend the Great Club, and using it to trade hits with your opponents. The best advice I can give for Strength is patience. Patience and being able to time a slow attack to connect with a fast enemy.
    Incoqnito

Post by Incoqnito Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for te replies everyone. Is SL 100 best for pvp? If it is I think I have to mid-roll.

This is what I came up with.

39 strength allows me to two-hand Smough's Hammer and 18 dex for BK weapons.
    I could take some points from vit and add it to end if equipment requires it but I don't think so.
    Was wondering if I should add a attunement slot for pyro's but I decided not to.
    And I'm still not sure what armor to use, but I think I can get 56 poise and still have some weight left over.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm

looks solid, pyro would help but you can always use a comp bow to finish off your opponent. here's mine if it helps http://mmdks.com/26tx, the fire surge is a great finisher and you can use poison mist with the special attack of the golem axe which works pretty good for me.

edit; be wary of parry spamming, those special parry shields will get you bs'ed because their animations are so damn long.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun May 05, 2013 1:44 am

I really like the build Rant, simple and beautifully effective.
    xenon_nobelium
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by xenon_nobelium Sun May 05, 2013 5:18 pm

rants build is very good, 50vit, 40str, 40end + havels and wolf ring are the definite way for a competetive str build. i myself like to skimp on pyro in favor of more end for 76poise and higher phys def. http://mmdks.com/1lyh
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 am

The best way to get familiar with strength weapons is to restrict yourself to only using strength weapons and play through the game. You don't need to PVP, you just need to get familiar with their move sets and PVE is fine for that. Think of it as a challenge run, no ranged combat of any kind, do not level dexterity at all (10 max), push strength to 60 and go nuts.

why 60 strength? well this is a PVE challenge and you won't need the extra points elsewhere and it allows you to use every strength weapon in the game one handed, except for the black knight weapons which require a unique build to use anyway.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon May 06, 2013 2:25 pm

I think 66 Str is the way to go for higher levels because if you 2 hand, you get the equivalent of 99 Str, which actually gives a noticeable boost to bigger Str weapons like the DGA and Great Club, especially if you make Crystal ones.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am