Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
SirArchmage
LunarFog
Pilgrim34
Incoqnito
Gudyleila
9 posters

Any tips for a PVP novice?

Gudyleila

Any tips for a PVP novice? Empty Any tips for a PVP novice?

Post by Gudyleila Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 am

Bodied. Wrecked. Demolished. Those are words that describe quite well how I end up in every PVP match I get. It doesn't matter if I use my DEX build, or my STR build, I always end up licking the cold ground at the end. So, my fellow DaS players, I would like some tips, pointers, anything that can improve my experience in PVP. Which weapons are good for DEX? I always use the Uchi or Iaito. What about STR? Currently using the Demon Great Machete, but I also have a Man-Serpent Greatsword with that char... Should I go for BS or fight "normally"? Is it better to have a fast roll, or high defence and poise? Is the DWGR essential for my DEX build? Not using it right now.
    Well, this is the situation. I hope a good soul can help me out =P
    Thanks in advance!
    Incoqnito

Any tips for a PVP novice? Empty Re: Any tips for a PVP novice?

Post by Incoqnito Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

I'm also rather new to PvP and my first build was a dex/faith build. I won a fair number of times simply because of sunlight blade and WoG but it wasn't really fun so I made a quality build and when I started to PvP with it I lost about 95% of my fights but I just didn't quit and when I fight someone I lost to before I try to approach to fight differently and I use a lot of different weapons to get familiar with them and slowly I started winning more.

So I guess getting better at PvP is the same as getting better at PvE; just trying a lot of different things and don't be afraid to die.

Edit: And learn from your and your opponents mistakes.
    Pilgrim34
    Pilgrim34
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Pilgrim34 Tue May 21, 2013 10:34 am

Choose weapons you like and a build to match them (you can use mugen monkey for this if you don't alredy know of it) and just play as much as you can with them! The more you play, the more experience you will get and you will surely develop a playstyle and tactics that you can use based on this. Don't get too disheartened by dying, it's part of the game and a learning experience. If you persevere you can become good with anything.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 am

Spears are a top-tier weapon. They're the equivalent to Ryu/Ken in street fighter(depending on which game you play).

They have the longest reach in the game, they're quick enough to keep up with the smallest dex weapons, and hit hard enough to compare with strength weapons. They stamina consumption is minimal, they aren't too heavy, and you can poke behind a shield with them.

If you want some ideas check here.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t16781-lunarfog-build-collection
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue May 21, 2013 11:46 am

I suggest you watch some YouTube videos of tactics, and lurk through the forum seeing what people say. Practice with low level PvP a lot and slowly advance to fit your play style. I suggest you look up some of the threads by a guy named Reim, like his thread about how to make a build. But this is also Dark Souls, so the best way to practice is, of course, by failing over and over again. Happy slaying.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Tue May 21, 2013 2:48 pm

LunarFog wrote:Spears are a top-tier weapon. They're the equivalent to Ryu/Ken in street fighter(depending on which game you play).

They have the longest reach in the game, they're quick enough to keep up with the smallest dex weapons, and hit hard enough to compare with strength weapons. They stamina consumption is minimal, they aren't too heavy, and you can poke behind a shield with them.

Have to disagree.

Spears are so easily countered - use either a spear or a rapier - and their advantage is completely nullified.

Now, you have a boring poke fest between the two fighters.

IMO, spears are not top-tier because they are so easily countered, and turn any interesting fight into something boring, thus effectively ending the contest, until either the original spear user changes weapons, and then hopefully the other player changes, or they poke until someone dies.

And it is very easy to have at least a spear/rapier in any build to use.

Of course this isnt always true, since some people cosplay or just wont switch weapons.

But that certainly isnt the fault of the spear user.

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm

goober0331 wrote:
    LunarFog wrote:Spears are a top-tier weapon. They're the equivalent to Ryu/Ken in street fighter(depending on which game you play).

Have to disagree.

Spears are so easily countered - use either a spear or a rapier - and their advantage is completely nullified.

Now, you have a boring poke fest between the two fighters.

IMO, spears are not top-tier because they are so easily countered, and turn any interesting fight into something boring, thus effectively ending the contest, until either the original spear user changes weapons, and then hopefully the other player changes, or they poke until someone dies.

And it is very easy to have at least a spear/rapier in any build to use.

Of course this isnt always true, since some people cosplay or just wont switch weapons.

But that certainly isnt the fault of the spear user.

Using the same weapon =/= countering. If the only defence against a weapon is using the same weapon, the weapon is OP.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue May 21, 2013 2:59 pm

And I'm going to to go ahead and say that I have never once lost to another spear user in a straight fight. In my entire life. You just can't stupid your way through a fight.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Practice.You will die many times in PVP,it is necessary to learn it.Read some threads on tactics but they won't get you everywhere.You just need to get used to PVP and how different it is to PVE.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Except the only defense against a spear isnt necessarily just another spear, but I would say it is the easiest counter.

Rapiers work just as well, as do other techniques.

And any time you nullify any advantage your opponent has over you is a counter, or lets just say "rearranging" how the fight plays out, but just IMO.

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I can vouch for spears that they really don't have any real weakness. Any "counter" to them is either not-viable or can be prevented by any half-decent player.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

You can speed up spear battles considerably as either the spear user or the person against it by using kicks. You can block basic pokes and then kick them. If they try to block + poke + take a kick they're going to get staggered unless they're using a greatshield...but those carry their own issues.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Tue May 21, 2013 3:33 pm

I can also vouch for spears.

Using a spear/rapier against a spear user is pretty viable. You can also use them with almost any build.

Is the spear class OP? Perhaps.

But I would say their easy to fight against, so I dont consider it really an issue.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh yay. Yet another spear debate. This totally isn't something that happens every week.
    Spoiler:
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

SirArchmage wrote:Oh yay. Yet another spear debate. This totally isn't something that happens every week.
    Spoiler:

I still don't understand why my word isn't the final say in the matter.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm not trying to start a debate, so I'll just leave the convo.

Its been pretty civil too.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Spears aren't a bad choice, especially for beginners. Hope to skip the debate on whether they're TOO good, but generally a rookie will have the most fun starting with the canned/known strong ************* then branching out as ready to try new things.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 am