Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
reim0027
Saturday-Saint
Leet
omgoff
Dibsville
Brodyzera
sids__09
CarverUpqik
TheMeInTeam
SirArchmage
ResIsBestStat
dreamforger
16 posters

A confused PvP newbie

dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

A confused PvP newbie - Page 2 Empty Re: A confused PvP newbie

Post by dreamforger Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks Carphil - that was actually the first thing I read that I read through and it really spiked my interest in PvP, but it was more of a skip through than a proper read, so yes, maybe time now for a serious read.  Thank you.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Yeah, learn how to parry. Learn different weapon parrying windows, learn different set up parrys and all of that. Here's a pretty good video. Don't get frustrated, just take your deaths and learn from them. Practice makes perfect.

Expert guide to parrying.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I know that the Covenant has certainly been mentioned, but I don't think that it was really explained why (in my opinion anyway) the Darkmoon Blades are the way to go when learning to PvP. It has been mentioned that you don't lose anything when you die as a Spirit of Vengeance, and that you get paired with lower-level players. However, the slightly more complex pairing mechanics really make it a worthwhile choice for players who are new to PvP.

The system ensures that you are not only paired with players who typically of a lower level, but also players who usually have significant experience in PvP. If you read the wiki on the covenant, it's easy to see why. For instance, as an SL100, you can invade an SL40 provided that they have approximately 50 to 70 Sin (I know that that is not the exact number). That means that they have likely upset at least 50 players in PvP. So ask yourself: with that much sin, how much PvP experience do they likely have? (Of course, the sin could have been accumulated by killing a ton of NPCs, but I find it more likely that most of the sin was accumulated through indictments.) Also, as a side note, you can't get indicted as a DMB.

The wonderful thing about the DMBs and the FHs is that everyone expects them to be ruthless and unforgiving, so you probably won't get much hatemail about your tactics/playstyle unless you win (in which case it's just general hatemail from bad players/gankers).

If you want to practice parrying. Here's what I used to do (prepare yourself because it will sound terrible). Fully upgrade some Giant's Armor and equip the Ring of Steel Protection for epic physical Defense, while maintaining a low level. Don't worry about equip burden as long as it's below 100%. Also, equip a small shield and a Straight Sword Hilt. Become a Darkwraith and start invading in the Upper Burg. Those players will do negligible damage, while you can practice parrying in (what I call) a "simulated PvP environment". The major drawback is that players at this stage of the game do not have access to all weapon types, so you won't be able to practice parrying Greataxes, for example. It is imperative that you never win, since it's just not fair, and remember to drop some small gifts, since you are wasting their time. You might even want to help them out later by co-oping if you feel especially bad.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Darkmoon as a new player IMO is not that great. You'll get less invasions, and more of the people you invade will have PvP'd before, since you're going to be invading indicted players.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Or you could just simply put your red sign down in the burg and not have to worry about a covenant.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:Darkmoon as a new player IMO is not that great.  You'll get less invasions, and more of the people you invade will have PvP'd before, since you're going to be invading indicted players.
    I think that fewer successful invasions is a fine trade-off for lower-level hosts. Also, the fact that these hosts have PvP'ed before ensures that you aren't fighting against low-level newbies who act as awful training for PvP. But of course, I can really understand the feeling that more invasions through DW-ing is better than fewer invasions through DMB-ing. However, I still feel that DMB-ing offers better-quality training for PvP for players who are new to PvP.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:29 pm

You don't need a covenant for "training." I learned everything i know through random invasions, putting down my red summon sign, and being invaded. I didn't focus on certain covenants until i learned how to hold my own. It'll come in time. Just use some cracked eye orbs, put your rsd in the burg, or use your dried finger wherever you want to. Your skills will grow after each match. When i first started i didn't even understand how the game worked. Practice, practice, practice. Or you just ask around the forum and i'm sure a lot of people will let you beat on them or show you the ropes.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:09 am

More really useful advice - thank you all so much.  I'm still a bit confused which way to go - Darkwraith or Darkmoon - (I'm leaning towards Darkwraith as I'm currently playing an Int build, so might start a Faith build for Darkmoon) but there's some cracking tips here, and my thanks to all of you Proper Bow.
    ScottyDoesKnow
    ScottyDoesKnow
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ScottyDoesKnow Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:35 am

I also just got started in PvP and I usually go darkwraith until I've bought 99 cracked red orbs and then go forest hunter. You can invade one place while wearing the ring and get summoned to the forest as well. Just swap the ring off as soon as you see that you're invading. I think at the start it's just about getting lots of fights so you can learn.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Yep, I think you're right - I've just got to get stuck in and get some fight under my belt.  Can't wait.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 pm

I'll spar with u if I'm on man
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks Wolfof Phyrexia, that would be great thumbs up.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 am

No prob just call me Wulf everyone else does too
    omgoff
    omgoff

Post by omgoff Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am

Dreamforger, what system are you playing on? I'm on xbox and wouldn't mind practicing with you.
    dreamforger
    dreamforger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dreamforger Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Wolfof Phyrexia wrote:No prob just call me Wulf everyone else does too
    Cheers Wulf! 

omgoff wrote:Dreamforger, what system are you playing on? I'm on xbox and wouldn't mind practicing with you.
    I'm on Xbox here too.  My gamertag is in my sig (dreamforger1).  Just let me know you're from the forum and I'll add you.  That's be great, thanks.  I'm currently a level 27 Int build psyching up to face the Four Kings, but I'm not too confident as I usually face them much later, but want to join the Darkwraiths and get cracking on with some invading.
    omgoff
    omgoff

Post by omgoff Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Oh, I didn't see your gamertag in the sig because I'm on the mobile version of the forum. My only character is lvl 85 right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:46 am