Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Parrotperil
TehInfamousAmos
sunbro
Saturnine Knight
Quarik
Rin
Rynoa
reim0027
Yarxov
eninala
cloudyeki
DarkW17
Bamjam
cjmully
Imarreteet23
kiwi_commander
ChizFreak
Ignus-Dej
DJ_XHERO
dominoboy
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
User
Emergence
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Brokewilly
Yukon
Spurgun
barecanvas
befowler
aceluby
nsane32
Tolvo
strangejoy
42 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 9 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:03 pm

DarkW17 wrote:Also on the topic of stunlocks I read somewere on the forums to quickly toggle your right hand weapon to evade it and I have been trying this and it works for sure if anyone didn't know that!

Here we go again - just when I thought I knew every trick in the book and another pops up. Now I will definitely have to try this out - stunlocking is my greatest fear especially against that dang Greatlord sword - that is the one weapon which consistently stun-locks me if I get hit full-on. DarkW17 - you may have saved my butt from getting killed many times over in the future with this tip.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:19 pm

By the way, I have a tactic for dealing with BS. But I'm not entirely sure if I should post it or not. Because while there are ways to avoid BS or punish it, I'm talking about literally cancelling the BS animation from happening. The issue is it might fall under the glitch category, so I'm pretty torn about posting it. I haven't gotten to test it with many weapons yet, but I'm pretty sure any build can do it so do you guys think I should post the information or keep it to myself?

EDIT: Actually I think I'm going to talk to the mods about this one, and see their view of the tactic.

Last edited by Tolvo on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

befowler wrote:There's ways to turn the idler to your advantage if you have patience and if the farmers can't find the idler (sometimes the idler will be wearing ring of fog, or head away from the spawn point before they idle again). I had a couple last night while I was scouting around in the lower basin re archery, and the result is that nobody else invades. You may get the occasional darkwraith invasion, but otherwise you have both forest cov slots filled (idler, and you), which frustrates the farmers to no end. As I was already down in the basin when it occurred to me that nobody had invaded for a while, I decided to watch the clock and see how long it took the farmers to get tired of it. First, at about the 9 minute mark with no action happening, the hosts's two phantoms black crystalled out. Then, he spent a while trying to summon more, and then at the 25 minute mark he suicided.

This can be boring for most people, and I only did it because I was stuck in the basin already and they wouldn't follow me down, but remember that the goal of the farmers is to kill as many phantoms as quickly as they can. You can deny them this by killing them outright of course, but trolling them by refusing to play into their little plan is a legit alternative. Not only did we keep this guy occupied for half an hour, but when he suicided he reset all the mobs, which had previously been cleared out. So hopefully other forest hunters were able to use those against him in his next life. If you go into fights with an eye towards making their farming as painful as possible even if you don't kill them directly, it can really be a lot of fun. The 800k souls I got from his suicide wasn't bad either, heh.

befowler - I am going to add to your psy ops recipe a little bit. Last night I invaded the forest and did the old ninja trick to evade a bang. Ok - now I'm about to BC out and the host starts sending me hate PMs (so now I'm perturbed) - you know the usual tristed logic of farmer/campers of me being a punk, scared, sissy, etc. My usual response is "Then why are you in the forest with a phantom if your set is so huge" - this 9 out of 10 times will get them extremely angry (this usually causes them to chase after me also:twisted: ). Anyway, on the XBOX you can check your messages to see the gamertag of players you have recently come in contact with (i.e invaded). So I check the list and start sending PMs to the host's phantoms (he was with one Sunbro initially) - asking them why are they helping this coward farm. And you know what I GOT EVERY ONE OF THE HOST'S WHITE/YELLOW PHANTOMS TO BC OUT BECAUSE OF THE GUILT TRIP I RAN ON THEM!! It got so bad the host resorts to summoning red spirits - hoping one would help him out - but all he kept doing was summoning hostile red phantoms. This guy had to kill 5-6 red phantoms before one of them finally killed him. It was hilarious:lol: .

The lesson learned today my hunter brethren - you can be victorious without ever dirtying your blade - remember there is a human sitting behind those controls - use this to your advantage!

Last edited by Brokewilly on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Tolvo wrote:By the way, I have a tactic for dealing with BS. But I'm not entirely sure if I should post it or not. Because while there are ways to avoid BS or punish it, I'm talking about literally cancelling the BS animation from happening. The issue is it might fall under the glitch category, so I'm pretty torn about posting it. I haven't gotten to test it with many weapons yet, but I'm pretty sure any build can do it so do you guys think I should post the information or keep it to myself?

Tolvo - I recommend you do some more testing to confirm your theory and then post. That way you can ensure the information you publish is accurate and tested (as much as possible at least) - not to say I have any doubt your theory is sound.

I am very interested in your findings though since I am not generally a BS user unless you turn your back to me. So this information will be added to my defensive tool belt for the bangs.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Tolvo wrote:By the way, I have a tactic for dealing with BS. But I'm not entirely sure if I should post it or not. Because while there are ways to avoid BS or punish it, I'm talking about literally cancelling the BS animation from happening. The issue is it might fall under the glitch category, so I'm pretty torn about posting it. I haven't gotten to test it with many weapons yet, but I'm pretty sure any build can do it so do you guys think I should post the information or keep it to myself?

EDIT: Actually I think I'm going to talk to the mods about this one, and see their view of the tactic.

Maybe PM it to us and we can decide big grin . Seriously though, I'd look at a BS cancel as not so much a glitch as a godsend. I've seen several videos of japanese players where they lined up a backstab on somebody and then somehow canceled out of it (i.e., they got behind the guy and the animation started, but before they stabbed they turned and ran off and the guy just fell over). Sounds like your variant is a defensive cancel rather than offensive, making it even more useful.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:35 pm

This is I guess the risk of being the guy that takes risks and tests out a lot of things. You discover some things which may be best left unearthed. Because I will say this, if there is ever a farmer who uses this tactic BS'ing them instantly becomes out of question. That's another reason I am sort of afraid of posting it. And I have tested it with weapons of different classes and found success. So I'm pretty sure animation and class won't be the issue. I actually managed to do it with just my fist.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey Brokewilly any info I can give ya after all your info and help with the forest is my pleasure. Now as you know from chatting with me I am a 'mini tank' with 72 poise so I dont speak for lower or zero poise people...but I have tested the toggle right hand weapon trick and it works for me for sure. Now dont get me wrong you are going to take 1 or maybe 2 hits but the second you notice your stunlocked if you toggle right hand weapon quick you will break animation(with higher poise....havnt tested with lower poise) and be able to roll away licking your wounds but alive.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm

That's a good point, although my experience has been that most farmers get their kills from BSs, and aren't that great in open field combat (unless you count 3v1 greatsword spam). At the same time, I backstabbed someone a few days ago 3 times with my claymore and still didn't kill him due to his huge level. So we'd probably benefit more from it than them.

I was sort of joking about the PMs, but in seriousness if you want to tell someone, tell brokewilly and he could probably decide who in forest cov might deserve to know. The group that received the last batch of uber protip PMs held water quite well until some of them were discovered independently. That would ensure it stays in the right hands.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:14 pm

To Skarekrow13- I had something simliar happen to me I was having a great duel with a phantomless host (often rare so far lol) when out of no were another hunter runs up and spams fire tempest roasting him...so of course I get the hate mail...2v1 isnt fair ect. So I msg back saying...dont worry I will always being hunting so you will have your chance for revenge again. Not long after I invade him again and he has a phantom this time I bring them to the scrubs plants and cast CHSM and time a CSS just right were it all hits the phantom and OHKO's him then after a good battle I end up stunlocking and beating him with my claymore. It was pretty funny and he msg'd me saying good fight and we fought 1v1 several time afterwards...I won and lost he was a good fighter and we had alot of fun in the end.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm

befowler wrote:That's a good point, although my experience has been that most farmers get their kills from BSs, and aren't that great in open field combat (unless you count 3v1 greatsword spam). At the same time, I backstabbed someone a few days ago 3 times with my claymore and still didn't kill him due to his huge level. So we'd probably benefit more from it than them.

I was sort of joking about the PMs, but in seriousness if you want to tell someone, tell brokewilly and he could probably decide who in forest cov might deserve to know. The group that received the last batch of uber protip PMs held water quite well until some of them were discovered independently. That would ensure it stays in the right hands.

I would be a willing trustee of any lore and knowledge anyone would like to pass along (I am very good at holding on to secrets - I still know stuff from my military days that I will never speak about - so "holder of secrets" is my middle name).

Tolvo - PM me a run down of your technique and we can hash things out to determine how best to publish the info. Plus - I'm itching to be one of the first to give this at try - you got me chopping at the bit bro.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

DarkW17 wrote:To Skarekrow13- I had something simliar happen to me I was having a great duel with a phantomless host (often rare so far lol) when out of no were another hunter runs up and spams fire tempest roasting him...so of course I get the hate mail...2v1 isnt fair ect. So I msg back saying...dont worry I will always being hunting so you will have your chance for revenge again. Not long after I invade him again and he has a phantom this time I bring them to the scrubs plants and cast CHSM and time a CSS just right were it all hits the phantom and OHKO's him then after a good battle I end up stunlocking and beating him with my claymore. It was pretty funny and he msg'd me saying good fight and we fought 1v1 several time afterwards...I won and lost he was a good fighter and we had alot of fun in the end.

Excellent - this is great advertising and marketing for hunters. It shows we are willing and able to provide a solid and honorable 1v1 session. Plus now - you will always know when you invade this guy you will get some good 1v1 training in.

Fun all around!!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Ooh....top secret stuff. Count me in if I'm a worthy hunter. I'm an investigator for a not for profit which really just means I'm secure in my belief that everything is my business big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Alright guys, it looks like information to not be posted. Sorry, have to think of other ways to deal with farmers.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Every time I die brutally in the forest from a lagstab, the dying whisper on my lips will be "Tolvooo...."

big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I feel something. It's, it's as if a thousand hunters just cried out, then were silenced.

Rules are rules befowler, sorry. Maybe I'll invest some further time into talks about it but I don't want to try and push them into letting me post it. That will probably kill it instantly.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Tolvo wrote:I feel something. It's, it's as if a thousand hunters just cried out, then were silenced.

Rules are rules befowler, sorry. Maybe I'll invest some further time into talks about it but I don't want to try and push them into letting me post it. That will probably kill it instantly.

I second that (even though thousands of hunters dying makes me a little queasy) - I am sure Tolvo will conducted the necessary research to confirm its viability and potential use.

We shall patiently wait for further developments.

Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Ooh....top secret stuff. Count me in if I'm a worthy hunter. I'm an investigator for a not for profit which really just means I'm secure in my belief that everything is my business big grin

Skarekrow13 - bro we would never allow a quality hunter enter the battle unprepared. R&D takes time - Tolvo is a master tactician and will always provide assistance to any ally of Alvina.

Our word is our bond!! cheers
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Alright, Master Tactician it is haha. I've always joked around that if I ever got a title on this site it should be Master Tactician, quite an old inside joke with some friends of old haha.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:10 pm

cheesy as it sounds, my main strategy is being to proud to let them demoralize me. They WILL DIE, because I AM KING ****!!!! is the kind of thought i have when i deal with farmers. Think the effect war cries have on soilders, the rally to the cause type thing.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:cheesy as it sounds, my main strategy is being to proud to let them demoralize me. They WILL DIE, because I AM KING ****!!!! is the kind of thought i have when i deal with farmers. Think the effect war cries have on soilders, the rally to the cause type thing.

Kinda like "Let me see your war face - AHHHHHHH!!!" Actually battle cries were used in the ancient world to demoralize the enemy who would hear their opponents coming before ever seeing them.

The moral seems high for this event - I am continuously receiving PMs (XBOX) from potential allies asking about the mass invasion. War - such a terrible but beautiful thing it is.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm

All for that attitude. In broomball in college I would tell my team mates before each game "that's my ball. No one gets it unless I say so"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Confidence definitely helps in the forest, you kind of need it to face down three enemies at once. However I think there's a difference between getting pumped up enough to take action, and letting it go to your head causing you to make mistakes.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Tolvo wrote:Confidence definitely helps in the forest, you kind of need it to face down three enemies at once. However I think there's a difference between getting pumped up enough to take action, and letting it go to your head causing you to make mistakes.

Tolvo is correct - stay crispy folks. We want to go into the "forest hotter than fish grease" lol (an old southern US term) on 3/24.

The meek shall inherit the Earth as some would say.

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Said proud not stupid winking
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Although I will say, there have been times where I was a bit fuelled by anger and while normally this is a recipe for disaster, caused me to invade and destroy one group seven times in a row the other day, so many times that one of them actually messaged me commending me for killing them. Other than that though yeah, nothing wrong with getting a bit headstrong, just try to stay focused is all. Not saying you are wrong, just trying to expand on the idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:26 am