Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Parrotperil
TehInfamousAmos
sunbro
Saturnine Knight
Quarik
Rin
Rynoa
reim0027
Yarxov
eninala
cloudyeki
DarkW17
Bamjam
cjmully
Imarreteet23
kiwi_commander
ChizFreak
Ignus-Dej
DJ_XHERO
dominoboy
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
User
Emergence
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Brokewilly
Yukon
Spurgun
barecanvas
befowler
aceluby
nsane32
Tolvo
strangejoy
42 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 13 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:16 pm

been that way for awhile here too, no 3v1 just 2v1 or only onme helper for sif if im summoning.
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Had a some great fights tonight but the best one was when i invaded a guy who was waiting with a summon.
    I fled to the ladder going down to the shortcu to the hydra and stayed on the ladder.
    After a while the host and his phantom got restless and tried climbing the ladder.
    Host went first and i punched him off the ladder and he fell off the cliff and gave me 225k souls.
    I was so happy i never get that big amount of souls for invading.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 am

Bamjam wrote:Had a some great fights tonight but the best one was when i invaded a guy who was waiting with a summon.
    I fled to the ladder going down to the shortcu to the hydra and stayed on the ladder.
    After a while the host and his phantom got restless and tried climbing the ladder.
    Host went first and i punched him off the ladder and he fell off the cliff and gave me 225k souls.

:affraid: 225k is crazy!
    If I'm not mistaken, the number of souls awarded is in relation with the SL, I wonder which SL he must have been to get 225k :shock:
    Bamjam
    Bamjam
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bamjam Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 am

Rynoa wrote:
    Bamjam wrote:Had a some great fights tonight but the best one was when i invaded a guy who was waiting with a summon.

:affraid: 225k is crazy!
    If I'm not mistaken, the number of souls awarded is in relation with the SL, I wonder which SL he must have been to get 225k :shock:

The best thing was that i invaded him 2 more times over the evening and got another 450k souls in total!
    I made a total of 1mill souls in 4 hours of foresthunting yesterday lol!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Here were my best two fights all event, one a win the other a loss. Apologize in advance for the length. My char was a sl129 INT build, relying on CSS with crown dusk / bellowing, and CMW on my balder side sword + 15. Also had power within on basic pyro glove but rarely got time to use it.

1) Invade in spot in trees near the ents. Get a FH death message as I arrive so I know I will be alone for a while. Host and sunbro run at me through the woods, both in usual havels/giants gear. One had greatlord sword, the other zweihander. I CMW buff my BSS. They get to me and I pull off some artful ninja rolls in and around the trees. The sunbro tries to run around me for a BS and I untarget lock and feed him pure BSS spam, rotating in place, doing over combined 1000 dmg and eating through his poise. I see the host coming up behind me and I roll, just an an ent grabs the host and does the eating attack thing! The sunbro panics and runs down the cleft and along the path towards that down ladder with me in hot pursuit. He turns atop the ladder and tries to hit me with an AoE spell but has the wrong one set or is out so he does the talisman shrug gesture. I run him straight through with my BSS. At the same time, I get a "summoning phantom" msg so I know the host is back at the stairs. I sprint that way and arrive before the summon does. I immediately sail in and land a pivot BS on the host, rolling through a sword swing on the way. He tries to flask behind a tree and I BS him again. Now he's in full panic, retreating with his shield up and getting hung up on trees etc. My CMW has worn off so I just do a run sweep attack with BSS +15 and the cut kills him through his shield block - 38 dmg! Ahh, glorious.

2) Same summon spot, near the ents. Host, white phantom, and sunbro running at me from the stairs. The sunbro is actually fatrolling - I feed him two CSS and he's off to the next life. The white phantom lagstabs me with the BKGA, actually teleporting me backwards from a roll. It takes me from full down to 10% life. I start rolling like crazy, leading them into the ents which creates some hilarious fun. Both get dinged up from the ent sweep attacks, and can't seem to prioritize me or the ents. I land a CSS on the host and he runs off to flask. I get a few R2 stabs on the white phantom and the ents finish him off. I start to pursue the host but he is already summoning back at the stairs and I hear a phantom arrive. I'm debating using a humanity when the host and the same original sunbro come sprinting back at me. Instead, I throw on fall control and hurl myself into the basin, immediately backing up under the lip of the ledge so I can't get hit by a fall attack. Sure enough, the sunbro follows me right over, but misses and takes 980 fall damage from his huge armor. Just as he lumbers to his feet he eats my last CSS and dies. The host doesn't follow, so I heal up and wait around for 10 minutes listening to him try to summon. Finally he does, and a few minutes later both of them come sailing over the edge! It's the host with a new phantom, a guy in full onion armor and a poison club. I roll around and get off some HCSM, hurting both. The club guy is good and I take some hits and get poisoned. I start to run down the path, and cut the turn too closely -- slip off the corner, bounce on the ledge below, and fall all the way down to my death. 25 minutes of fun - and even though they won they were trapped in the basin afterwards anyway, lol.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:13 pm

By the way I've been wondering if anyone has been considering making a Forest Hunter player covenant, if so I'd love to help out however I can. A name suggestion even, The Men in Tights. big grin
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi! One question, do you get high activity at lvl 110+? My dragon covenant toon will soon run out of cracked red eye orbs and I was thinking of changing to your covenant.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm SL120, during the event things went a bit haywire with so many invasions going on in the forest, but normally I have to wait around ten seconds before invading. Sometimes faster. Round the clock too, the forest is always filled. You'll see a lot of ganking though, so be ready to fight 2-3 enemies at once.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Tolvo wrote:I'm SL120, during the event things went a bit haywire with so many invasions going on in the forest, but normally I have to wait around ten seconds before invading. Sometimes faster. Round the clock too, the forest is always filled. You'll see a lot of ganking though, so be ready to fight 2-3 enemies at once.

I joined up with another toon, not the dragon one, but with my Leeroy Cosplay build.

It takes some time to find games, with a minimum of 2 minutes. It okay I suppose.

I invaded like 8 times by now, and my 2nd invasion was already 2vs1 haha. I won anyways.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Right now the invasions times are a bit wonky because of the event, it may take a bit for things to get back to the norm.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm encountering lots of guy who use cheap tactics and then either:

1) Taunt when they win, like if what they did took some kind of skill.
    2) Hatemail me when they lose.

Also I invaded a guy, I appeared in the far side of the forest, where the tree-men are. He tries to summon someone, then suddenly............. TARGET DESTROYED

He fell of the cliff next to the stairs and took 2148 damage (OMFG). I recieved 250k souls. HOLY ****.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Yep, the forest is full of Farmers who use the cheapest tactics, I love to punish these people. As well you will sometimes get big amounts of souls from these farmer groups, so that's a plus.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 am

Tolvo wrote:By the way I've been wondering if anyone has been considering making a Forest Hunter player covenant, if so I'd love to help out however I can. A name suggestion even, The Men in Tights. big grin

lol! lol! lol!
    I'd join even just for the name big grin
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am

hi all, I am posting in this thread because I was helping fight farmers during the 3/24 event and found some interesting strategies. My forest hunter is a SL40 thief with 30 dex and a +15 bandits knife. The reason I build this character was to specifically backstab farmers. So here are my 2 cents on forest defense strategies, specifically fishing for backstabs

1. Have two rings equipped. Cat Covenant and Ring of fog
    2. As soon as the invasion message appears, change the cat covenant ring to the hornets ring
    3. You invaded the persons world, move slowly and hide behind trees and wait until another forest hunter/darkwraith invades
    4. As soon as they do, try to find the host. While the other invader provides the distraction, backstab the host. It's usually a one shot kill, I would say 90% of the time a one shot

I used this strategy with a pretty good deal of success during the event and I would even go as far as to say that the ring of fog is even more powerful than it was before simply because farmers don't expect it.

Cons:
    1. If you try to rush... you will die
    2. If you are not careful... you will die
    3. If you don't work as a team... you will die
    4. Only dex characters can fish with the bandit's knife. If you are a STR characters just use your favorite weapon
    5. As a phantom, you will not make any noise while walking so no need to equip slumbering dragoncrest ring
    6. I also had Pharis' Bow equipped with poison arrows for harassment purposes.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am

Good stuff kiwi_commander. I have tried similar builds/tactics and it can be successful. It is really fun to tiptoe up behind the host when the farmers are chasing someone else -- many times, the host purposefully hangs back to let their summons go after a known FH, leaving the host alone and all the more vulnerable to ring of fog fun. You can actually use their own farming/ganking tactics against them in this way, provided you are able to circle around the group. I had several successes this way during the forest of the damned event.
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 am

befowler wrote:Good stuff kiwi_commander. I have tried similar builds/tactics and it can be successful. It is really fun to tiptoe up behind the host when the farmers are chasing someone else -- many times, the host purposefully hangs back to let their summons go after a known FH, leaving the host alone and all the more vulnerable to ring of fog fun. You can actually use their own farming/ganking tactics against them in this way, provided you are able to circle around the group. I had several successes this way during the forest of the damned event.

Yeah, I got the idea after reading this thread and how to "wait for another invasion" strategy. So instead of just dealing with one forest defender, the farmers have to deal with two of them. I did have lots of fun sending anti-farmer messages. On a side note, I might farm for a channeler's trident to help boost mobs if things get bad.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

You'll be pleased with the results if you do. Nothing says "we own the forest" than having a farmer get mushroom punched for over 1,000 damage. Trees become surprisingly heavy hitters too. Although with the trees my best tactic has been to get farmers to chase you in a very obvious less than straight line. I like to try to zig zag and ultimately lead to the cliffs. During the invasion event I turned a 2 on 1 into a 10 on 1 this way as the phantom was so slow that only the host was near us. The 10 is approximate as there were so many trees I really have no clue. All I know is his weapon wasn't long enough to hit me through them and mine was barely able to reach, and I was using a great scythe.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Another nice feature of a footrace is that it drains everyone's stamina. Farmers love to chase phantoms because they usually are higher level so have more stamina (they assume), and also hate it when you run around rather than engage because it reduces their kill numbers and efficiency. So what you do is try to get them into a footrace that, by your own design, ends up in an area heavily populated with mobs just as everyone sprinting runs out of stamina. Absent the mobs it would be a wash, but watching someone with low stamina trying to block a bunch of overlapping ent sweep attack is hilarious.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Am i the only guy here who almost never uses the mobs? I win on martial might and cleverness mostly.

not saying using the mobs is wrong, but i don't get any joy from bsing guys preoccupied by ents.

I get immense pleasure from coming out of a 1v3 i won with no allies save my gear and wit and was wondering if anyone else is like that.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 pm

I guess it depends on your preferred style. I don't involve the ents for free backstabs, but rather just because I enjoy suddenly turning the tables on them with mass reinforcements. Winning a 1v3 is of course satisfying, but I don't go into the forest for a test of skill -- if anything, in the 1v3s I run into all I usually have is a test of lagstabs and WotG. I want the farmers dead, I ain't real particular as to how.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

I do both, sometimes I go in and just slaughter them, sometimes if they are just casting TwoP and are turtling, I'll need to use mobs because as soon as I go in to attack I'll just get BS fished by three guys meaning I can't attack. It's on and off, usually what I try to do is funnel them and destroy them one by one as they come at me.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 pm

ok i dident read any of the 22 pages of advices you lot came up with but heres mine For the Glory of Alvina - Page 13 945058907 1. dont rush if its a 2v1 and your the 1 roll rount waiting for a phantom and attack only if thefs a window of opportunity 2. poisen and toxic are a grate way of making your opponent rush and make stupid mistakes 3. cameleon is fun if fighting a noob also dont play fair with 2v1 farmers use the creatur n npc 2 aid you in your fight 5. try to see what mobs are dead n if the plants are not use em to heal up For the Glory of Alvina - Page 13 3510096238 good hunting
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 pm

New here, but working on getting decent at pvp. Does anyone have any tips for actually landing a hit with CSS or CHSM? If someone is foolish enough to block them or doesn't dodge I can roflstomp just about anything, but I usually end up wasting all of them without a hit. My enchanted+5 uchigatana doesn't really cut it either. Also, would you say that scythes are worth learning? Lifehunt and great scythe seem really interesting and I've heard good things about their range and dead angles, but haven't gotten an opportunity to try one.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 am

Now I will use a mob if needed - like they say "war is hell" especially if its 2v1 or 3v1. I am not a BS fisher so if a host and/or phantoms are busy with a mob - I will attack and if I get a BS its not because I was trying (we all know the BS hit box is huge - so mistakes do happen). I have almost perfected the use of the Trident to buff NPCs (befowler - nuff respect due Proper Bow ) during the event - I tried to guide as many of my fights as possible into areas with NPCs. This tactic was especially effective with the trents. I was able to kill two hosts during the event & both were farmers who were not exactly the fastest individuals so when they were mobbed it was over quickly. I also placed buffs on a couple of hunters but only one knew how to take advantage of the power surge. In fact I believe the hunter was able to kill a mod toon by repeatedly striking the mod until it was forced off a cliff - it was impressive twisted . The main reason I say it was mod (or it could have been a glitch) was the fact we did not receive any souls for the kill (e.g. SL0???).

My motto in the forest is "kill a farmer anyway you can unless he/she is clearly looking for a honorable 1v1". I love a straight-up duel and if need be I will take a beat down with a smile happy on my face to the end. You learn more from losing than winning anyway.

Good hunting folks and remember always keep the pressure on 'em - no quarter and no mercy - I wouldn't expect anything less from them.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:39 am

Quarik wrote:New here, but working on getting decent at pvp. Does anyone have any tips for actually landing a hit with CSS or CHSM? If someone is foolish enough to block them or doesn't dodge I can roflstomp just about anything, but I usually end up wasting all of them without a hit. My enchanted+5 uchigatana doesn't really cut it either. Also, would you say that scythes are worth learning? Lifehunt and great scythe seem really interesting and I've heard good things about their range and dead angles, but haven't gotten an opportunity to try one.

Quarik - since it appears you are a INT build then you should try to hold off using your heavy offensive spells until it counts the most (like after you have hurt them considerably - then you shoot the farmer in the face with a CSS twisted ). You need to obtain a weapon other than the Uchi (its a great weapon though and has its uses) in which you can obtain stun-lock on you opponent. Stun-locking in my book is life in the forest - you must be able to land multiple strikes on your opponents and stun-locking is the best way to achieve this. You may want to think about obtaining a weapon which leverages your INT such as MLGS, Horned Spear. Or if you have any BS or riposte ability then Velka's rapier (I have started to use this with some success). You must master at least 1-2 weapons and one of them must be able to cause stun-lock (unless you are BS or parry master) on your opponent. I have won so many scraps in the forest by being able to achieve continuous stun-locking thereby killing either the host or his minion. A stun-lock kill can turn the tide of battle in an instant (just like a BS or riposte kill).

So basically save your heavy rounds until you have hurt the farmer via other means then shoot-em in the back with CSS when they go running to summon help.

Good hunting!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am