Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Isirith
Avenger649
cerealaire
Back Lot Basher
Kirk-Barb
Serious_Much
Dr__Awkward
Derpwraith
Latitoast
Sentiel
Cronotis
TheMeInTeam
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
AnCapaillMor
retro
VaDoom
ChizFreak
21 posters

I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion)

ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion) Empty I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion)

Post by ChizFreak Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 am

Call me Sir "Late to the party" Chiz and then state your opinion about if it's correct or not to use it to save freaking time for PvP (no griefing).

If this thread was created before, please go delete the older ones, and tell them they sux balls because Chiz wasn't in them.
    VaDoom
    VaDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion) Empty Re: I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion)

Post by VaDoom Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:56 am

This has been discussed a lot in other threats :
    - It's definitely usefull imo and is a fine tool if you have good intentions.
    - It seems to be the reason why there is more and more cheaters on PSN.

So, in your case, I don't see any problem, but overall, it's rather a bad thing
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion) Empty Re: I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion)

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 am

Mega Mule is supposedly the reason behind the appearance of modders/hackers/cheaters on PS3. There's no solid proof for this statement afaik though.

It enabled the return of twinks in early areas, now even worse then before, because they also have full five stacks of all spells, which is something even BB glitch didn't give you.

Look at the first 30, or so guys in the Book of the Guilty. Check their details as well. I left the game for a few months and when I returned these guys popped up out of the blue and I swear I saw none of these before I left for my little Boletarian vacation.

To quote myself from another thread.
    Spoiler:
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 am

Oh Lord.....

Something you should really consider is its infractions on the user agreement Chiz.

From what I understand, if you've purchased the DLC you shouldn't be at risk for banning.  HOWEVER, if you do not own the DLC, then one could argue you are in violation because you obtained the DLC spells (they cannot be dropped).

So I would be careful.

If this is a joke...very funny.silly
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:27 am

It saves countless hours of tedious farming and PvE for people who just want to make builds and get straight down to PvP. I would absolutely use it if I actually had the ability to, which I don't.

If it is the reason for the uprising of hackers on the PS3 (which I'm 95% sure it is,) then it is a very bad thing in general. But hey, so long as it's here, you may as well use it at your leisure.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 am

For the third time....

Serious_Much wrote:I just realized there is a thing called "Mega Mule", WTF?!?! (post your opinion) 40072074

As with the BB glitch before it, mega mule to me is just laziness. No one deserves to just skip the hard work, no matter how many thousands of hours they've put into it. If you don't have time to play, just don't play.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 am

Sentiel wrote:Mega Mule is supposedly the reason behind the appearance of modders/hackers/cheaters on PS3. There's no solid proof for this statement afaik though.

I haven't gone near the dks save file but i do know the demons file was locked down big time. As in you couldn't copy it to another system or back it up. Lost a couple of good saves that way when my phat Ps3 died. I imagine the MM is not locked down the same way so is easilly accesible and editable like the XBOX and pc file is. If that's so, then yeah mm is almost certainly responsible.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 am

It's saved me a ton of time testing things, I'm quite thankful for that aspect of it. I'm actually doing more hard work because of it, with it. happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 am

@Serious
    I wish I could go to the gym and skip all the hard work and leave like a Bruce Lee after a few minutes.
    Basically what Mega Mule does in Lordran. big grin

DkS save file is copy protected as well. My PS3 died some time ago and with it all of my save files, DkS included. It was one of the reasons why I subscribed to PS+. It enables me to backup my save files to PSN cloud storage. All save files, even the protected ones. It sucks I have to pay for something other platforms have for free, but I suppose it was made to prevent things like Mega Mule and it usually works. Usually...
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 am

Hhmm it'd be interesting to see is it when dks saves progress that it locks the file or the initial creation of the save file.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am

retro wrote:It's saved me a ton of time testing things, I'm quite thankful for that aspect of it. I'm actually doing more hard work because of it, with it. happy

I think the one and only thing I could condone MM for is research for the wiki.

Obviously though my comment was directed at people who claim to not have the time to create the build... But then just use the time they saved playing pvp. That is laziness.

I guess the difference is those who use MM for pvp are using it in a selfish way while you are using it very selflessly in doing research. No need to elaborate other than that really on why your usage is far more acceptable silly
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am

Sheesh!

If you want to skip the PvE grind at least do it properly and trade with people for shtuff.kiss 
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:
    Sentiel wrote:Mega Mule is supposedly the reason behind the appearance of modders/hackers/cheaters on PS3. There's no solid proof for this statement afaik though.

I haven't gone near the dks save file but i do know the demons file was locked down big time. As in you couldn't copy it to another system or back it up. Lost a couple of good saves that way when my phat Ps3 died. I imagine the MM is not locked down the same way so is easilly accesible and editable like the XBOX and pc file is. If that's so, then yeah mm is almost certainly responsible.

Dark Souls file was locked too.  The mule, to the best I can tell, came into being via an experienced hacker breaking that safeguard and editing a save file such that it has 99 copies of most things (slabs included) and tons of spell copies.

The reason this "led to" more hackers on Ps3 seems to be that once you have a save file with no safeguards, it's trivial to further modify it to attain impossible stats.  It's probably harder to beat the safeguards.
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Cronotis Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    As with the BB glitch before it, mega mule to me is just laziness. No one deserves to just skip the hard work, no matter how many thousands of hours they've put into it. If you don't have time to play, just don't play.

I'm tempted to write a long-winded response to this, but I won't.  I will say that this is a rather obnoxious statement.  Many of those looking to skip PVE via the MM don't see PVE as "hard work" they see it as a chore.  Most enemies can simply be run past, most bosses can be killed without taking a single hit.

I can understand why some people dislike the MM, and/or those who use it.  However I can also appreciate why many have said it's been a savior to them.  What irks me is when people make statements asserting that their side of the argument is the correct one.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am

Sucks to be on the net for you.
    Everybody thinks their arguments are correct until proven otherwise.

I fully agree with Serious.

Yes, it can be a chore. I've said it is a chore many times myself. Yet I still undergo the said chore over and over again to make a PvP build, that will kill hollows in Burg to clean it for PvP purposes at best. I'm the strange type that can't speedrun at all, so each time I make a build, it takes me around 6-7 hours to get rid of the PvE part and focus only on PvP. Even though I have only 10 builds, I cleared the whole game more than 40 times (mostly thanks to losing my save file). Even so, I would gladly spend another 6-7 hours of the chore, we call PvE now, than to resort to using a modded save file.

If we could make PvP builds just like MM enables us to, we could skip the entire of this beautiful game. You would hardly see summon signs and random invasions, because people would just stick to SL 100 /120-125 in PvP areas and the rest of the game would be mostly empty and void of any online interaction.

Lastly, if the PvE part is such a chore, one cannot endure it and has to resort to using a modded save file to make builds, the said person should probably leave the game and go play something else. A few weeks vacation in another game will make the return feel fresh and perhaps enable one to endure the chore one more time. Did it myself and it worked wonders. We all have to play PvE and it's the game's main attraction. If one can spend countless hours PvPing, I see no reason why not spend a few hours PvEing as well.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Latitoast Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm

From what I've heard, it's intentions were to make it easier to make a PvP build but people use it to make twinks to spam stuff like Wrath or GC in the Parish against low level players.
    Derpwraith
    Derpwraith
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Derpwraith Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll admit, the only reason I use Dark Souls Mega Mule is because the PvE has gotten very boring for me no matter how long I've went without playing the game, working to make your character for the PvP portion doesn't exactly matter to me anymore. I can definitely admit that the file has lead to some serious USB modding.

I have purchased the add-on, and have beaten the game and the add-on's sidestory enough times to know what I am up against every time, so I just turned to more of the online portion of the game since that's the only thing that can keep me playing Dark Souls. Dark Souls Mega Mule gets me to the online portion faster, the only thing I have to complain about Dark Souls Mega Mule is the ridiculous stacks of spells leading to annoying mages, USB modding, having the DLC spells which might lead to getting in trouble if you haven't purchased the Artorias of the Abyss add-on and the hideous characters that it has. silly
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I have a few psn accounts, some are megamuled some are legit. I use a megamule account when i want to test something specific or try a build i haven't tried before. If i'm happy with it, i create it on one of my legit accounts. Usually i'll ask a friend to drop me some items so i don't have to farm. Call that laziness if you want. 

Single player PvE is probably the only part of the game i no longer enjoy. Or very rarely at least. I like to co-op and all kinds of PvP. But apparently i should just stop playing the game and play something else... I don't think i will because i really like dark souls pvp and co-op. If some people think i don't deserve to play the game or that i'm lazy, well, there's really not much i can do about it.

I don't think megamule brought the hackers on ps3, simply because i, and some other people have met hackers on ps3 before megamule. The creator of megamule was one of those people who figured out how to edit dark souls ps3 save. There were others before him but he decided to make it public. Did that make hackers (or modders, or cheaters, or blahblah) more frequent? Yes, absolutely. Was megamule the cause of all hackers on ps3? No.
    Dr__Awkward
    Dr__Awkward
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dr__Awkward Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm

**insert "with great power comes great responsibility" related statements here***

I like it. It has restored my entertainment with the game. Growing tired of the environments and the PvP, I found some joy in making fun cosplays, and just absolute ridiculous builds. I may be one of few that didn't stay at lvl 1 in the burg and just destroy rookies.

I would have never made a mage build before MM and I have grown a liking to them and have decided to start DSII with a mage build instead of a classic tank build. The one thing I LOVE is being able to fight fairly when you like, but when faced with gankers, and what have you, to be able to pull out a maxed pyro glove and black flame them in one shot at a low level.... theres no greater joy
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Cronotis wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

I'm tempted to write a long-winded response to this, but I won't.  I will say that this is a rather obnoxious statement.  Many of those looking to skip PVE via the MM don't see PVE as "hard work" they see it as a chore.  Most enemies can simply be run past, most bosses can be killed without taking a single hit.

I can understand why some people dislike the MM, and/or those who use it.  However I can also appreciate why many have said it's been a savior to them.  What irks me is when people make statements asserting that their side of the argument is the correct one.

While obviously I can see that its a saviour to people, but it's irrefutable that skipping the game isn't something you're supposed to do and therefore it's incorrect to do so. To be fair if you're bored of pve so much you feel like you have to skip it out of boredom you've probably played the game a bit too much silly

But still, a chore even being boring is something that should (and must) be done. You don't skip out on doing the dishes just cus you can't be bothered otherwise you won't have clean plates to eat on.. Then again I suppose everyone will see MM as the proverbial dishwasher. Though while it's making everyone's life who uses it easier it's killing the environment of dark souls, and opening the window to hacks and the like to boot.

I'm amazed how well suited that analogy is lol!
    Kirk-Barb
    Kirk-Barb
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kirk-Barb Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Dr__Awkward wrote:when faced with gankers, and what have you, to be able to pull out a maxed pyro glove and black flame them in one shot at a low level.... theres no greater joy

I would disagree.  I find I get the most joy in defeating them with my +5 claymore and +3 gear despite there elemental weapon and maxed pyro glove.  big grin
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:36 pm

I can't relate to wanting to skip over the PvE while making a new build.  Makes no sense to me.  Part of the joy is in seeing how it evolves in stages, and how it makes some parts of the game more difficult and some a bit easier.  I recently wanted to make a quality build, and thought I'd also see what it was like to play the ENTIRE game with nothing but bows.  I'm around level 60 now, entering the DLC and the tougher bosses, but I'm toting maxed Pharis and Comp Bow.  It's been a fantastic experience to be forced to change my approach in different areas.

The Catacombs, in particular, forced me to try something different.  Without having a lot of room to dodge and shoot arrows, I switched to Havel's gear and the Wolf's ring.  Wore the Ring of the Evil Eye for some health regen.  I never imagined an archer playing the role of tank, but there you have it.  Is it viable for PvP?  I doubt it.  But I don't care.  It prolonged the life of Dark Souls in a way I didn't imagine previously.

I appreciate the love people show for PvP, but I've always felt the two were part and parcel of the overall experience.
    cerealaire
    cerealaire
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by cerealaire Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

why doesn't meda mule infect the users system? seems like it doesn't
    Avenger649
    Avenger649
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Avenger649 Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm

For me the PvP element is the only thing keeping me interested in the game and having to run through the game twice just to find out the build you designed doesn't work or simply isn't enjoyable would have killed the game a long time ago for me. Even with speedruns it would take 2 and a half hours minimum to make a build excluding spellcasters and presuming you don't go into new game plus to get more titanite slabs.
    In my opinion people who say to get titanite slabs from friends are a ittle hypocritical considering that they are bypassing using a edited file by using a glitch or having someone back up their saves to continually get more slabs.

In response to people who say that while PvE is a chore it should be done, People do not want to have to do something that they view as unnecessary, The Bottomless box glitch made PvE trivial and therefore pretty worthless in my eyes as  it provides no challenge and so loses all of it's charm. If I wanted to build something through the traditional method I would create a new account and just play an unpatched version of the game so that I could use all of the previous exploits.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 pm

FinPeku wrote:.........I don't think megamule brought the hackers on ps3, simply because i, and some other people have met hackers on ps3 before megamule. The creator of megamule was one of those people who figured out how to edit dark souls ps3 save. There were others before him but he decided to make it public. Did that make hackers (or modders, or cheaters, or blahblah) more frequent? Yes, absolutely. Was megamule the cause of all hackers on ps3? No..........

Everyone is aware that hackers existed before the megamule.

However, part of that statement trivializes the fact that they are in abundance now.

There has been a huge influx of hackers because of the MM, and the community should obviously request a patch that deletes all the characters created with it and/or by some variant.

I'm sorry that some people who've only used it for testing pvp builds would suffer, but this is the way it should be.

Anything that promotes hacking needs to be addressed...period.

I would not promote banning accounts though.  However, I would promote banning over doing nothing at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:40 pm