Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

For all you people that record gameplay

Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

For all you people that record gameplay Empty For all you people that record gameplay

Post by Leet Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm

What kind of capture card do you use?

If i were to buy a more expensive HD capture card word it be worth the money or would a standard capture card do the trick?

And another thing, i can just use my laptop as long as i have the right connections right? I don't have a big pricey desktop computer. I really just wanna record gameplay and overlay music on it or record and post good matches. Nothing too major but i feel once i get into it i'm gonna get really into it.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

For all you people that record gameplay Empty Re: For all you people that record gameplay

Post by SadPanda Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 pm

If you want something that's cheap and has great quality, get a DVD recorder. A 50 pack of 2gb DVD's can be found as low as 10$. A DVD recorder can be found easily for 50$ with as good of quality as an HD capture system. It's a good starter setup that will last around 3 months if you record sparingly.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

For all you people that record gameplay Empty Re: For all you people that record gameplay

Post by Wilkinson3424 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:15 am

Look up the Elgato recording device, or the Roxio HD. Both good, Roxio comes with it's own editing software iirc so that's a plus.

Both are priced at around 100-200$, but if you do good on youtube it will pay for itself.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:29 am

Wilkinson3424 wrote:Look up the Elgato recording device, or the Roxio HD. Both good, Roxio comes with it's own editing software iirc so that's a plus.

Both are priced at around 100-200$, but if you do good on youtube it will pay for itself.
    I would never partner with Youtube. They're worse than Gamestop in terms of shadiness.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:36 am

Also look into avermedia hd capture.  You don't need the computer to encode it at all; it has a built-in setup for that and will output to any USB hard drive.  It's what I use, and it records up to 1080i.  Unfortunately, my TV here only gives up to a 480p output, so I can't really showcase the quality the capture device is capable of handling.  Still, it will record any of the current 3 consoles.

I pulled a YT video that uses it (not my own since I'm capped by TV output quality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXQ_Qzqvyo

I'm sure you can find others.

Depending on how good your laptop is you could get a cheaper capture card, but not by much if you're looking for HD.

DVD isn't a good option IMO.  2 GB you will burn through quickly, or murder the quality, your choice.  You'll switch all the time.  However, if you're going to murder the quality, you can just buy an easycap off of amazon or some such for around 10$ and plug that sucker in for some standard def capture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7muRtqzzEY

Unless you want to burn through DVD, that's going to be easier and require no switching.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 am

SadPanda wrote:
    Wilkinson3424 wrote:Look up the Elgato recording device, or the Roxio HD. Both good, Roxio comes with it's own editing software iirc so that's a plus.

I would never partner with Youtube. They're worse than Gamestop in terms of shadiness.
    Make videos,

Get money,

Get bishes.

What's so shady about that?

Yes they make alot more money than they give, but still, where else are you going to make money? Twitch? Kappa
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:45 am

Wilkinson3424 wrote:
    SadPanda wrote:

Make videos,

Get money,

Get bishes.

What's so shady about that?

Yes they make alot more money than they give, but still, where else are you going to make money? Twitch? Kappa
    Why is it you have to make money from doing something you enjoy? I'd never take a partnership from Youtube for a couple reasons. The first is, I *** hate ads, and I'm sure everyone else does. If I have enough popularity to be partnered, I wouldn't want people to watch an ad for a bad movie for the 20th time that day. Another reason is, I don't like the idea of getting money for something as easy as playing a video game. I'd rather make an honest pay working at my job than make money from ad revenue. If I were to get a partnership offer, I'd donate that money to charities, because I don't need it as much as others.
    Wilkinson3424
    Wilkinson3424
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wilkinson3424 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

True you don't need to make money, but Youtube is still a viable place to put videos in.

Most people don't care about ads, and the other's have ad block. Besides the ads can be skipped after 5 seconds, or they are only around 15 seconds long.

But this is off-topic so i'm dropping the conversation.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:11 am

I'd like to get an HD capture card, but obviously my main concern is if my laptop can handle that. It's just a regular every day laptop. I think i paid $500 for it a couple years ago. I don't really understand how a capture card works. If worst comes to worst could i use my buddys actual desktop computer after recording the gameplay and edit it there? And i'll let youtube pay me.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:26 am

TooLeet wrote:I'd like to get an HD capture card, but obviously my main concern is if my laptop can handle that. It's just a regular every day laptop. I think i paid $500 for it a couple years ago. I don't really understand how a capture card works. If worst comes to worst could i use my buddys actual desktop computer after recording the gameplay and edit it there? And i'll let youtube pay me.
    Editing software isn't exactly demanding in terms of computer performance. If you're in schooling at all, (high school, college, etc.) ask if they can cut you a deal on Adobe Premier. That's one of the best on Windows. If you have a Mac, use Final Cut.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:31 am

Also, a capture card just simply takes the footage directly from the AV/HDMI and records it to your HDD on your computer. I've personally never owned one, but I believe it comes with software similar to Fraps. Come to think of it, you could just buy a RBG translator for your Xbox/PS3, play the video through a computer monitor and record using Fraps. Although I think that would be much more complicated and expensive.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:24 am

So basically -

Tv - capture card - PC.

I was thinking of ways around it without spending a lot of money. I went out and bought this cable (forget the name) but it put my PC's screen, onto my Tv. I wanted it the other way around so i could download one of those programs that records your PC's screen (i believe someone mentioned that) The only thing that came good out of the cable i bought is i can watch awesome things on the internet, on my 46" Tv. twisted 

What would happen if i bought an HD capture card and my laptop couldn't handle it? Would it just skip frames and just be buggy?
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 am

I checked out the requirements for the HD Roxio capture card. Everythings checks out but i don't know about my processor. Here's what is required.

• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon x2 64 2.0 GHz

And this is what i have.

• Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU    900 @ 2.20GHZ 2.19

By the looks of it, HD won't work. But i don't know what any of those numbers mean lol.

Well, that totally ruined my parade. My CPU is junk. I couldn't even run the standard Roxio capture card. Oh well. 

Last edited by TooLeet on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 am

Just get a hauppage dude. I got it running on a 5 year old laptop with no bothers.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 am

Your computer can be 5 years old and still have a duo processor. Every capture card says you need a duo processor. I have an actual desktop computer in my spare bedroom but it won't stay on for longer than 10 minutes without getting a blue screen. Maybe i can fix it.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 am

So basically -

Tv - capture card - PC.
    Or just TV --> Capture card.  Your computer specs don't matter at all for EDITING a video, aside from the time it takes to encode.  However, its cpu *can* bottleneck your capture if it's slow, as could the graphics card in theory.

Well, that totally ruined my parade. My CPU is junk. I couldn't even run the standard Roxio capture card. Oh well. 
    Look into AverMedia like I said big grin.  You don't need a computer to record the videos at all.  It's in the ~$120 dollar range in cost.  You might have to grab a USB drive if you don't have one, but there too it's not a huge deal and you could in theory just throw down some 16GB stick drive if doing limited recording (should last a few hours at least before having to transfer it off).

Later you can just plug the USB hard drive into your laptop and edit the video with whatever audio you want and encode it.

Last edited by TheMeInTeam on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:14 am

The cable you bought is an RGB cable (the one you screw in). As far as your processor, it doesn't nessecarily have to be dualcore, as long as you have a fast enough GHz (gigahurts) speed. I'm not sure, but on Roxio's website they may have a test to see if you can run the program for the capture card. I'm not into the whole tech with capture systems, so that's probably all I can help you with.

Good luck.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:31 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    So basically -

Tv - capture card - PC.
    Or just TV --> Capture card.  Your computer specs don't matter at all for EDITING a video, aside from the time it takes to encode.  However, its cpu *can* bottleneck your capture if it's slow, as could the graphics card in theory.

Look into AverMedia like I said big grin.  You don't need a computer to record the videos at all.  It's in the ~$120 dollar range in cost.  You might have to grab a USB drive if you don't have one, but there too it's not a huge deal and you could in theory just throw down some 16GB stick drive if doing limited recording (should last a few hours at least before having to transfer it off).

Later you can just plug the USB hard drive into your laptop and edit the video with whatever audio you want and encode it.
    You're gonna have to be more specific. I googled "AverMedia" and a billion products came up, and all look the same as any other capture card.

Edit: Is this what you meant? Like a stand alone?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100097&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+%26+TV+Tuners-_-N82E16815100097&gclid=CMyqy438gbkCFZBaMgodalgA3Q
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 am

^ Yes, that is what I meant.  It comes with cables to hook to each of the 3 systems.  You plug it in as an intermediate device between console and TV (the back of the thing is obvious enough, with "game in" and "tv out").  After that all you need to do is plug in a usb hard drive and you're good to go.

BTW, I recommend only using "real time mode" or whatever while recording or playing a game and trying to be ready to record.  There's a slight frame delay when the light is green, but while it's blue (real time mode) it is seamless.  It also works well enough while the device is off.

According to the reviews, apparently you can not only do 1080i but also 1080p if you upgrade the firmware.  Not sure how to do that but if I ever get a TV that actually displays 1080p I'll look into it.

People say it's lower quality than other pvrs, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  It depends on a lot of factors.  With your computer specs, however, it is by far the option that will give you the best quality however, simply because you won't be relying on a slow processor in a laptop.
    Leet
    Leet
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Leet Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Take a +1.

I'm gonna give one of those a shot. I'm not trying to become some big youtube star or anything of that nature. I just wanna record some gameplay and put some awesome music in it. Nothing major. I always have matches where i'm like "Wow, i wish i could have recorded that." It should be fun.

I might try to fix the desktop PC in my spare bedroom and see what the specs are on it. If i get into recording pretty good i'll get an HD capture card if the PC allows it. Thanks for the help, bud.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:51 pm